National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmonton21 January 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
Productive and a clean place to work.
Shipper/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2013
A typical day at working here is the fact we receive multiple products from several customers that need different types of repairs.
For being fairly new in this business the learning curve is endless.
It seems to me that managements hands are tied on so many issues.
My co-workers are hard wokers and willing to help and pass on there knowledge quite easily.
The hardest part of the job is not getting help when you most need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting jobs done before the deadlines.
Pros
good work conditions
Cons
Poor pay for the work position.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...8 September 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
Safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
Managers need a lessen or training on how to Manage their staff...
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and RRSP.
Cons
project management seem shaky
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB22 July 2013
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
Pros
great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons
supervisor had poor english
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENG11 July 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2013
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your family every night.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons
Very low salary
Driver Operator
Driver Operator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX27 April 2013
Love my job and get along with my co-workers, i have learned alot in this company.What i enjoyed the most is go to work and come back home the same day, with 2 days off.
Pros
perdim
Cons
long hrs
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.

Want to know more about National Oilwell Varco?

Ask a question
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  leduc11 March 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
micro managed to the hilt!
Parts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  calgary26 October 2012
hardest part of job was showing up! was named enerflow industries prior.
Pros
its a job
Cons
no raises. no class, stay away!
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 September 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee) –  edmonton,alberta16 August 2012
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Pros
fun and free lunches
Cons
12 hours shift
Great company for those who like to build up skills and contribute.
Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2012
Design electrical schematic;
Specify sensors, meters, and panels;
great company
Lead Inspector (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan,Nisku3 March 2012
great company to work for not a lot of room for advancement,hence my need to move forward in my career.