National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku Alberta27 January 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
Optional Overtime, Flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
Pay was on the lower side but not by much
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, AB16 January 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
Lots of respocibility
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Its a good working environment
Rig Solution Drafter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta Canada19 November 2014
Its a nice place to work but I'm looking for advancement in a long run with my career.
Under pressure working
Electrical & Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Assembling Department14 November 2014
Another good place to start with for the welder, sheet metal, electrical and fitting technician.
Great experience
Coring Services Lead Supervisor / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North America, Middle East, Australia10 November 2014
Canadian Coil Tubing Services lead and product development, fishing tools operational service, drilling bits dynamics and performance recorders. Operational supervision of global coring services.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No schedule
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
People, environment, management
Cons
Low pay
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee) –  nova scotia1 September 2014
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Pros
lunches
Cons
labourer
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB12 August 2014
don't treat you well
not challenging
boring
bad management
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 June 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
Long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
No job security, management is all over the place
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmonton21 January 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
Productive and a clean place to work.
Shipper/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2013
A typical day at working here is the fact we receive multiple products from several customers that need different types of repairs.
For being fairly new in this business the learning curve is endless.
It seems to me that managements hands are tied on so many issues.
My co-workers are hard wokers and willing to help and pass on there knowledge quite easily.
The hardest part of the job is not getting help when you most need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting jobs done before the deadlines.
Pros
good work conditions
Cons
Poor pay for the work position.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...8 September 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
Safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
Managers need a lessen or training on how to Manage their staff...
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and RRSP.
Cons
project management seem shaky
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB22 July 2013
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
Pros
great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons
supervisor had poor english
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENG11 July 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2013
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your family every night.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons
Very low salary
Driver Operator
Driver Operator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX27 April 2013
Love my job and get along with my co-workers, i have learned alot in this company.What i enjoyed the most is go to work and come back home the same day, with 2 days off.
Pros
perdim
Cons
long hrs
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location