National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 August 2015
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Pros
that we were alway busy
Cons
working nights and weekends
Very Enjoyable Place to Work
Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2015
Very fun atmosphere.
Work hours were good.
Very clean place to work.
Made lots of good friends.
Would recommend this place to others.
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
Great working environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2015
Great working environment, cared a lot about improving their employee's within the company. sadly I was hit by the down turn in oil.
Large company forgetting the small touches
Canadian Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton26 February 2015
Fast, continuous growth by aquisition has created a chaotic, disorganized environment.
Not a stable environment as of late.
Not a good place to work if you are driven by making changes for the better for all workers and have worth mentioning Ideas.
Quality Assurance Inspector / Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2015
A typical day would be very routine, even though the job has considerable amount of things to learn seems to become fairly routine after a few months. Management is based on the hierarchy system, although co-workers deal with this situation it never seems to be tolerable. My co-workers keep the place from collapsing on a minute to minute basis only never being rewarded for their efforts.

Currently looking for a more rewarding, challenging and diversified job, with opportunities that are laterally driven.
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku Alberta27 January 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
Optional Overtime, Flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
Pay was on the lower side but not by much
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, AB16 January 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
Lots of respocibility
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Its a good working environment
Rig Solution Drafter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta Canada19 November 2014
Its a nice place to work but I'm looking for advancement in a long run with my career.
Under pressure working
Electrical & Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Assembling Department14 November 2014
Another good place to start with for the welder, sheet metal, electrical and fitting technician.
Great experience
Coring Services Lead Supervisor / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North America, Middle East, Australia10 November 2014
Canadian Coil Tubing Services lead and product development, fishing tools operational service, drilling bits dynamics and performance recorders. Operational supervision of global coring services.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No schedule
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
People, environment, management
Cons
Low pay
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee) –  nova scotia1 September 2014
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Pros
lunches
Cons
labourer
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB12 August 2014
don't treat you well
not challenging
boring
bad management
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 June 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
Long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
No job security, management is all over the place
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmonton21 January 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
Productive and a clean place to work.
Shipper/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2013
A typical day at working here is the fact we receive multiple products from several customers that need different types of repairs.
For being fairly new in this business the learning curve is endless.
It seems to me that managements hands are tied on so many issues.
My co-workers are hard wokers and willing to help and pass on there knowledge quite easily.
The hardest part of the job is not getting help when you most need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting jobs done before the deadlines.
Pros
good work conditions
Cons
Poor pay for the work position.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...8 September 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
Safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
Managers need a lessen or training on how to Manage their staff...
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and RRSP.
Cons
project management seem shaky

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location