National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Nov
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
happy place to work
CNC Programmer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2015
was a great place to work no micro managing till corporation policy changes than become a unhappy place & micro managed real badly and a unhappy place to be till one day whole facility was closed after xmas break.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 September 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 August 2015
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Pros
that we were alway busy
Cons
working nights and weekends
Very Enjoyable Place to Work
Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2015
Very fun atmosphere.
Work hours were good.
Very clean place to work.
Made lots of good friends.
Would recommend this place to others.
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
Great working environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2015
Great working environment, cared a lot about improving their employee's within the company. sadly I was hit by the down turn in oil.
Large company forgetting the small touches
Canadian Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton26 February 2015
Fast, continuous growth by aquisition has created a chaotic, disorganized environment.
Not a stable environment as of late.
Not a good place to work if you are driven by making changes for the better for all workers and have worth mentioning Ideas.
Quality Assurance Inspector / Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2015
A typical day would be very routine, even though the job has considerable amount of things to learn seems to become fairly routine after a few months. Management is based on the hierarchy system, although co-workers deal with this situation it never seems to be tolerable. My co-workers keep the place from collapsing on a minute to minute basis only never being rewarded for their efforts.

Currently looking for a more rewarding, challenging and diversified job, with opportunities that are laterally driven.
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku Alberta27 January 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
Optional Overtime, Flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
Pay was on the lower side but not by much
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, AB16 January 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
Lots of respocibility
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Its a good working environment
Rig Solution Drafter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta Canada19 November 2014
Its a nice place to work but I'm looking for advancement in a long run with my career.
Under pressure working
Electrical & Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Assembling Department14 November 2014
Another good place to start with for the welder, sheet metal, electrical and fitting technician.
Great experience
Coring Services Lead Supervisor / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North America, Middle East, Australia10 November 2014
Canadian Coil Tubing Services lead and product development, fishing tools operational service, drilling bits dynamics and performance recorders. Operational supervision of global coring services.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No schedule
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
People, environment, management
Cons
Low pay
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee) –  nova scotia1 September 2014
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Pros
lunches
Cons
labourer
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB12 August 2014
don't treat you well
not challenging
boring
bad management
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 June 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
Long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
No job security, management is all over the place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location