National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun workplace
Contract Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: half days before holidays
I loved everything about this company from people to the work .
Behind the scenes...
Internal monitoring and optimization (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: free coffee, water bottles
Cons: in house cafeteria is too expensive
Work starts promptly at 6 a.m everyday and ends at 6 pm, days can be anything from boring and uneventful to pedal to the metal. It all depends on what decides to go wong. very comfortable atmosphere over all. Everyone tends to be in a great mood, staying possitive is a big thing.
great culture for an industrial setting
Assembly Technician BOP Assembly (Former Employee), Houston TXJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: low stress environment
Cons: short lunch, but breaks were allowed
Everyone was very supportive of each other which fostered a great work environment on many fronts. It was very safe because if you didn't know how to do something, it was fine to ask someone and you wouldn't get ridiculed for not knowing.
Education was revered and appreciated here by everyone from laborers and assemblymen to foremen and engineers. Everyone – more... seemed to be trying to further their education. The possibility to move laterally as well as horizontally within the company seemed possible and was openly discussed. – less
Worldwide Company with a huge grown Opportunities
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 29, 2013
Pros: monthly team leaders lunch
Cons: hour lunches.
Profesional environment around serious and hard workers.
Learning Experience
Level I Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 28, 2013
Pros: challenges
Cons: slow prosperity
• Responsible for conducting down-hole tubular inspections using various technologies
• Calibration of portable hardness testers and ultrasonic instruments
• Skilled to detect and evaluate discontinuities in welds using radiographic interpretations
• Complete and submit field documentations and other duties requested by direct supervisor
Good envirenment Good working relationships
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Williston BasinDecember 27, 2013
Pros: great place to work
Cons: pay
It's a great envirenment and a great place to work.
Typical work day starts at 8 am and ends when all sales calls are complete.
managment is best I ever had.
My coworkers are awsome. I don't see them that much but we have great interaction.
There really isn't any hard parts it's great.
I love interacting with my customers and coworkers.
NOV - Cedar Park: A great facility with excellent Leadership.
Manufacturing Planner (Current Employee), Cedar Park, TXDecember 26, 2013
Pros: excellent environment for growth
Cons: some open requisitions are filled before interviews are conducted.
I am currently employed at NOV / Cedar Park as a manufacturing planner. I thoroughly enjoy working at this facility and have learned alot from the leadership team that is currently in place there.
site inspection
Painting inspector (Former Employee), xi an city shanxi provinceDecember 26, 2013
in charge of whole precess painting inspection,
from blasting to final inspection
Worst work enviroment in 20 years...
Valve Automation Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 22, 2013
Pros: great insureance
Cons: unprofessional supervisor, no raises, long temp service.
My advice to anyone working as a temp, if they don't hire you after 90 days quit... My supervisor was incredibly unprofessional. She would cuss and yell at employees. Talk about getting drunk and having inappropriate relationships with coworkers and customers in production meetings. Drive the company truck drunk. To make things worse for me on the shop – more... floor, I had to work with a complete idiot with no shop or overhead crane experience. He almost got us both hurt several times. Of course they showed him favoritism because he brown nosed them... The company I work for now has many former NOV employees and not one has anything good to say... – less
very stressful and disorganized
Electrical/Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 18, 2013
Cons: 2 members of my night crew were always so high on pills it made the job area dangerous
working nights was the worst. The day shift would blame the night shift and vice versa for problems and management would do nothing to bring the two groups together. The older employees would not help out the new guys if we had any questions for fear of losing their positions.
Dissatisfied with such a big company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), HoustonDecember 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no pay raises, lots of favoritism, horrible hr, horrible upper management
Good company to work for but has the worst HR and worst management. Way too much favoritism. Only way to move up is by who you know or what you'll do to move up. HR will completely lie and coverup things just to backup upper management even if they know they are in the wrong so never fight upper management because you will not win. Very unfair company. – more... Theyll let management treat you horribly, discriminate, belittle and humiliate you and still defend management. Going to HR is completely pointless. – less
Great working environment
Quality Control Lead Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 15, 2013
Great place to work and learn to enhance PT and MT skills. Work a lot of hours, get paid vacations. Management is hard, on quality which is a great thing!
Not fun , but steady work
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 15, 2013
Pros: steady work, seasonal company picnic, yearly comapny soccer tournments
Cons: short breaks, no bonuses, no appreciation in productivity, immature management
(Only based Mud Pump assembler employee point of view not as company as a whole)

Immature management

Nobody is held accountable to their work

Job not hard at all

Enjoyable part of the job is the salary and steady work
Corporate Managers that only care about their bonus, period!
Sales (Former Employee), TexasDecember 13, 2013
Pros: plenty of products and services to offer
Cons: lack of leadership or employee value
Don't get comfortable and assume you have job security. After several years of dedicated service, corporate cycled through several different upper managers in that time. A manager that was installed for a couple of months layed me off and chose to keep less experienced employees that he had worked directly with in the past. My tenure, experience, or – more... successes meant nothing. The cut and keep was based on favoritism.

In 10 years with the company, I met the CEO three times. In that same time period, I had no idea what our division president even looked like. He ruled our division with fear, and was arrogant enough to never show up at any manager meetings for our division. That is poor leadership in any company. No surprise there was such a mass exodus in 2013.

I'm glad to no longer be in this company. Good Riddance! – less
Reveiw
Administrative Assistant, Expeditor, Inside Sales (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 12, 2013
NOV is a very upbeat company with a great culture in a booming industry. My work days can be a little crazy with all the responsibilities I have none the less I cherish all the knowledge I have been able to obtain. My coworkers are supportive and my management can be very encouraging. Even though I had no prior knowledge of this field, I have grown – more... an outstanding passion for my job and my customer. – less
Enjoy the work, but had to deal with such poor management and a lot of favoritism by management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New Iberia, LADecember 12, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no incentives
Poor management, no chance to advance, low pay scale and high turn overs
To much favertisum and no structur, some do as they please and barley work in a day.
SENIOR LEAD (Former Employee), 12950 West Little York Houston Tx.December 8, 2013
Pros: if your in the click good
Cons: if your not in the click bad
A good company but bad management. Some supervisors Yael and degrade the employees in front of others. To many friends and relations for a place that has no nepotism.
schedule/expediter (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 7, 2013
Very good company to work for. Always improving the way we do things and is a nice atmosphere.
Great Place To Work
Warehouseman (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 7, 2013
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: lower pay than most companies in same field
Great place to work. In need of more advancement opportunities.
Was not a proper fit for me and my skill set
Joined NOV as a Service Technician (Former Employee), Broussard LADecember 3, 2013
NOV was a tough and very dirty place to work. I am not against physical labor but NOV was very different. A very unsanitary facility to say the least. I realized that this field was not my future and that I want a job that I can turn into a career.

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos