National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

It is a good company
Drilling Solution Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 October 2015
NOV is a good company because it invest a lot in the knowledge development of employees, NOV provide extreme training in all departments to all employees to improve their skill and to inspire them. NOV is a multicultural company works in deferent countries and respect all cultures. NOV motivate and give the opportunity to the employees to be managers and leaders and take responsibilities.
Pros
Interanational experience in sales and managment.
Not a good place to work if you are driven by making changes for the better for all workers and have worth mentioning Ideas.
Quality Assurance Inspector / Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2015
A typical day would be very routine, even though the job has considerable amount of things to learn seems to become fairly routine after a few months. Management is based on the hierarchy system, although co-workers deal with this situation it never seems to be tolerable. My co-workers keep the place from collapsing on a minute to minute basis only never being rewarded for their efforts.

Currently looking for a more rewarding, challenging and diversified job, with opportunities that are laterally driven.
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.30 September 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod Shop25 November 2015
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
Pros
I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons
Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
Productive and a clean place to work.
Shipper/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2013
A typical day at working here is the fact we receive multiple products from several customers that need different types of repairs.
For being fairly new in this business the learning curve is endless.
It seems to me that managements hands are tied on so many issues.
My co-workers are hard wokers and willing to help and pass on there knowledge quite easily.
The hardest part of the job is not getting help when you most need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting jobs done before the deadlines.
Pros
good work conditions
Cons
Poor pay for the work position.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 September 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, AB16 January 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
Lots of respocibility
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2015
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmonton21 January 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
People, environment, management
Cons
Low pay
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku Alberta27 January 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
Optional Overtime, Flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
Pay was on the lower side but not by much
Good goal
QA/QC Management (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB11 November 2015
Each month we set up a business goal for each departments and each person. And felt very excited when catching the goal. Many bonus come with the good job that was always fun and happy
Lots of work, no time to rest
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta8 October 2015
Work was fine, but once they began pushing to keep going, you are Pushed to the point that it wasn't enjoyable anymore. It was unfortunate as many employees had left because of it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
long work hours
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB22 July 2013
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
Pros
great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons
supervisor had poor english
happy place to work
CNC Programmer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2015
was a great place to work no micro managing till corporation policy changes than become a unhappy place & micro managed real badly and a unhappy place to be till one day whole facility was closed after xmas break.
great company
Lead Inspector (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan,Nisku3 March 2012
great company to work for not a lot of room for advancement,hence my need to move forward in my career.

84%