National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company for benefits and training.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Houston,TexasJuly 25, 2014
Pros: great benefits and training.
Cons: excessive overtime or not enough work.
The company focused on maintaining a great customer service for clients. Safety was preached continuously in office. However these goals came at price of employees including excessive overtime and bending of rules at times to allow drilling operations to continue.
Great Place to Work
Final Documentation Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 17, 2014
Worked in Documentation
Hard to advance within the company at times
Job security and constant challenges
Repair Engineer (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 16, 2014
NOV provides great job security while providing new challenges to be tackled everyday. I have had plenty of opportunities to learn about the new products and services that go into drilling. The management is a pro and con. They hire and promote on potential which is great for new opportunities but they also ignore problems due to this as well.
Great place to work.
CNC Machinist Operator (Former Employee), Orange, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches, safety awards, great environment
Cons: short breaks
National Oilwell Varco really knows how to treat their employees.
Productive strong fast learner great with the computer
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: not valued
Come to work print tickets, process orders find paperwork, in charge of 12 countries and checking with inventory to hunt parts down. Email traffic and as well providing special documentation for shipments.
Customer Service
Operational Manager (Current Employee), Elk City, OKJuly 14, 2014
Pros: access for company truck
Cons: travel
I have been with National Oilwell Varco for almost 10years. I have worked myself up to learn all aspects of the company. I know that I would like to advance more but are limited because of location. I was raised in Weatherford & my children are currently attending school in Weatherford. I'm linked to this location. I have been in the management role – more... and it was a learning experience that I was not given excess amount of time to turn around the facility. I was re-directed to another location. I have proved myself as an employee because of my knowledge & loyalty to this company I was able to continue my current pay. I am bless that I was given that opportunity to learn & i want to continue to learn. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people. The hardest part of the job is the oil industry comes & goes. – less
Good Job, but on call 24/7 365
Sales and Service Technician (Former Employee), LouisianaJuly 7, 2014
Good people, good job, but you will be run ragged. Things could have changed since I have left. If you want things done right do them yourself. Don't count on someone that is suppose to take care of a job to do it correctly.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 1, 2014
Good place to work. Very educational. Management is helpful.
Horrible
Field Sales (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 18, 2014
Pros: office had free coffee
Cons: is that i was employed there
Horrible work experience, management was unprofessional, they would come to work in reef shoes and a mouth full of dip. Dip cups all over the office, and most workers would come in with dirty shirts and wrinkled clothing.
excelant
System Designer / Equipment Designer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2014
A typical day is a fast going passe and a challenging one as-well. However fun to work at and full people willing to help you succeed.
Excellent productive & exceptional workforce
Supervisor (Current Employee), GatesheadJune 2, 2014
Pros: work force
Very good to place to work, with excellent staff, benifits & conditions.
unethical practices, dishonest management, no accountability!!!
machinist (Former Employee), provo, utahJune 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: dishonest management
Machinist, (former employee), provo,Utah
Unethical practices , manager over the production and machine shop has no education or experience behind them.. all they worry about is looking out for the big BONUS!!!
We had no raises for years before and since that manager took over the shop!
No accountabity , unfair trust in mgmt.
Better than most places for engineering technician work
Senior Project Layout Specialist/Draftsman (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 31, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, and working conditions.
Cons: you will usually need an engineering degree to advance.
This job consisted of preparing shop drawings for pipe manufacture based on the plans and specifications. Management is usually OK and co-workers were great. This work is considered by many to be boring, but there is a certain feeling of accomplishment when the drawings are correct and complete.
Awesome Place with Awesome Personalities!!!!!!!
Field Service Technician I (Former Employee), Elk City, OKMay 30, 2014
Pros: lots of work opportunity.
Cons: on call, not enough time home as an fst
Anyone with a passion for IT or Mechanical Engineering should work here.
Relaxed and friendly atmosphere, my boss was fantastic.
Clerk II (Former Employee), Breaux Bridge, LAMay 28, 2014
Pros: very relaxed atmosphere
Cons: no advancement.
I was the only clerical personnel in this office. I would check on jobs that had come in or were going out. Inventory equipment that had come in. Invoice customers, scan invoice and e mail to the Lafayette office, answer 4 line phones. Payroll was done on a weekly basis. Check with company man for use of rental equipment out on their rigs. I was responsible – more... for getting everything ready for cooks we did for charities and rig locations. I had a great working relationship with my boss and with the 12 men I worked with. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. The hardest part was leaving this job and saying my good byes to people I had worked with for 20 years.
I worked with the same people for both Ambar and NOV. – less
Great company
QC Tank Inspector (Former Employee), Conroe, texasMay 23, 2014
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: lots of hours
I was only employed here for about 4-5 months but the time that I was there it was a good company to work for. In fact I would go back. Unfortionately I was laid off with a lot of other people.
Decent place to work but lack of advancement opportunities due to supervisor
Final Documentation Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2014
Pros: good people over all nice people work here
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities
The company is a good place to work, generous amount of holidays are offered. However, after I reached eligibility to apply for promotions. My supervisor originally gave me permission to apply for promotions then when he was contacted by recruiters to interview me for the positions he refused to allow them to speak to me. When I asked him why his words – more... were"I cannot spare you you are my senior employee and are too valuable to me". I am not sure how commonly this occurs at the company but I know this can happen at any company. At NOV recruiters need supervisor / manager permission to interview you for promotions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that work here. – less
Very good and useful training was obtained
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 21, 2014
Pros: a lot of hours (up to 74 a week)
Cons: our lead man did not have any leadership skills
Inspect in process machined part dimensions and NDT.
Management was okay, but I did not see them enough like I think you should.
All my coworker were great and very willing to help if it was needed.
Unrealistic expectations from management
Hr administrative assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UtahMay 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: micromanaging leadership, lack of direction from management, high turnover
A lot of down time in my position. Depended fully on manager to provide me with work. It was hard to be an efficient employee when there was no access to the work load. High turnover environment. Benefits were good but management was not.
Productive yet dangerous work enviornment
Service Operator (Former Employee), Crosby, TXMay 19, 2014
Pros: benifits, breaks, and flexible schedule
Cons: 12 hour shifts and no breaks between shifts
Using fork lifts and cranes while working on coiled tubing. While it was a new learning experience I felt it had a few to many danger zones. Management was not as aware of problems but co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was being lifted in cranes using safety harnesses to secure tubes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the 14 – more... day work schedule. – less

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos