National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews in Canada

pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 8, 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...September 8, 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
no job security, management is all over the place
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your family every night.
Pros
flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons
very low salary
NOV
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons
project management seem shaky
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, ABJanuary 16, 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
lots of respocibility
Cons
poor work/life balance
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku AlbertaJanuary 27, 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
optional overtime, flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
pay was on the lower side but not by much
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
people, environment, management
Cons
low pay
Large company forgetting the small touches
Canadian Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 26, 2015
Fast, continuous growth by aquisition has created a chaotic, disorganized environment.
Not a stable environment as of late.
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a
Great experience
Coring Services Lead Supervisor / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North America, Middle East, AustraliaNovember 10, 2014
Canadian Coil Tubing Services lead and product development, fishing tools operational service, drilling bits dynamics and performance recorders. Operational supervision of global coring services.
Pros
great experience
Cons
no schedule
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
Pros
great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons
supervisor had poor english
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee) –  edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Pros
fun and free lunches
Cons
12 hours shift
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABAugust 12, 2014
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee) –  nova scotiaSeptember 1, 2014
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Pros
lunches
Cons
labourer