National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews in Canada

Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 5, 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.September 30, 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food
NOV
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 8, 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 18, 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABAugust 7, 2015
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Pros
that we were alway busy
Cons
working nights and weekends
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, abMay 13, 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
Large company forgetting the small touches
Canadian Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 26, 2015
Fast, continuous growth by aquisition has created a chaotic, disorganized environment.
Not a stable environment as of late.
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku AlbertaJanuary 27, 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
optional overtime, flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
pay was on the lower side but not by much
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, ABJanuary 16, 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
lots of respocibility
Cons
poor work/life balance
Great experience
Coring Services Lead Supervisor / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North America, Middle East, AustraliaNovember 10, 2014
Canadian Coil Tubing Services lead and product development, fishing tools operational service, drilling bits dynamics and performance recorders. Operational supervision of global coring services.
Pros
great experience
Cons
no schedule
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
people, environment, management
Cons
low pay
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee) –  nova scotiaSeptember 1, 2014
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Pros
lunches
Cons
labourer
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABAugust 12, 2014
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
no job security, management is all over the place
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...September 8, 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons
project management seem shaky
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location