National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Good Company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 10, 2015
Was a very slow working environment . Benefits and salary were good. The people were very nice and the location was very good and they supplied parking
great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABAugust 7, 2015
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Pros
that we were alway busy
Cons
working nights and weekends
Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 8, 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod ShopNovember 25, 2015
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
Pros
I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons
Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.September 30, 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food
Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2015
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...September 8, 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
Poor environment at the time
Inside Sales Representative / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, ABJanuary 16, 2015
At the time the company ran lean so a heavy work load was needed. Management was non-existent. Poor leadership and no work/life balance.
Pros
lots of respocibility
Cons
poor work/life balance
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons
project management seem shaky
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, less pay
NOV
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your family every night.
Pros
flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons
very low salary
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Pros
people, environment, management
Cons
low pay
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2013
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
n/a
Good place to learn
3RD Year Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku AlbertaJanuary 27, 2015
Good place to learn,very laid back company to work for. There was no sense of special treatment towards seniority which was nice. 1st years were treated the same as journeyman. Would still be there if i didnt have to take a leave due to family reasons. All in all i would recomend this place to anyone wanting a foot in the door to a trade or anyone looking for laid back in town work
Pros
optional overtime, flexible work schedule, early start
Cons
pay was on the lower side but not by much
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee) –  edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Pros
fun and free lunches
Cons
12 hours shift

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location