National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Great team and awesome, positive, healthy team atmosphere
Data Entry BOM and Parts (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2016
No gossip, no favoritism...just a very calm atmosphere and no chaotic, or stress-producing work environment.

Management encourages open-door policy and provides a safe work environment.
pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
great people
Painter/Prepper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with and the great choice in the management team.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with equipment that wasn't always working.
Good people to work with
Third-year Apprentice Millwright (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2016
Good co-workers, management needs to be looked at
hardest part of the job is the insane deadlines and how everything is always rushed, and my favourite "ya, everything is rush, but this is super rush"
fun place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2016
it's always fun to work with hydraulics and something that could potentially kill you if you don't know what you are doing. management is good but of course every company has it's own complications. Awesome co-workers who understands having fun and work at the same time
Productive and Fun place to work
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 January 2016
Co-workers are great, friendly staff. Worked regular hours with a chance for over time. Management provided staff appreciation lunches every week. Regular staff reviews with options for advancement.
Work work work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 December 2015
Although my experience at National Oilwell Varco was great and indispensable, it was always work work work. 10 - 12 hour days, always go go go while you're there. They're wasn't much time for a social life. How ever it gave me some great experience. I have now moved back to BC for a little easier of a life style since the Oil industry has taken a dive,
Pros
Great salary, great friends at work.
Cons
No social life, and alwayx go go go.
Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2015
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
Good Company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2015
Was a very slow working environment . Benefits and salary were good. The people were very nice and the location was very good and they supplied parking
Good Place to work
Leadhand - Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 December 2015
NOV is a very good company to work for. NOV offers a an excellent benefits coverage plan. However, there is room for improvement in the dispersal of employees in each department.
Pros
Safety Award Recogintions every 6 months
Cons
Under staffed in some departments
Safe and fun working environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
I enjoyed working at National Oilwell Varco for 5 years but was laid off due to the down sizing in the company and current market condition in the Oil & Gas Industries. I was grateful for my employment there all the benefits of working for NOV and the great people I was able to connect with.
Pros
Safety Award Recognitions every 6 months
Cons
Feeling insecure in job due to market conditions
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod Shop25 November 2015
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
Pros
I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons
Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
Good goal
QA/QC Management (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB11 November 2015
Each month we set up a business goal for each departments and each person. And felt very excited when catching the goal. Many bonus come with the good job that was always fun and happy
It is a good company
Drilling Solution Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 October 2015
NOV is a good company because it invest a lot in the knowledge development of employees, NOV provide extreme training in all departments to all employees to improve their skill and to inspire them. NOV is a multicultural company works in deferent countries and respect all cultures. NOV motivate and give the opportunity to the employees to be managers and leaders and take responsibilities.
Pros
Interanational experience in sales and managment.
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
Lots of work, no time to rest
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta8 October 2015
Work was fine, but once they began pushing to keep going, you are Pushed to the point that it wasn't enjoyable anymore. It was unfortunate as many employees had left because of it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
long work hours
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.
Family oriented,accomplishments awarded,challenging,
Senior Sales Marketing ,senior field sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Sales plannlngTerritorial sales,delivery ,billing,inventory,customer entertainment ,sales plannlng for future,coworkers worked as team.one for all ,all for one,All coworkers were lke family,pay was excellent,work was gradifyingyour own boss]
,long hours in winter,away from family,
Pros
Famlly oriented, great company, excellent pay and benefits, traveling, monetary plus trips for accomplishments
Cons
long hours, laid off
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.30 September 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location