National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2015
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
Good Company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2015
Was a very slow working environment . Benefits and salary were good. The people were very nice and the location was very good and they supplied parking
Good Place to work
Leadhand - Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 December 2015
NOV is a very good company to work for. NOV offers a an excellent benefits coverage plan. However, there is room for improvement in the dispersal of employees in each department.
Pros
Safety Award Recogintions every 6 months
Cons
Under staffed in some departments
Safe and fun working environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
I enjoyed working at National Oilwell Varco for 5 years but was laid off due to the down sizing in the company and current market condition in the Oil & Gas Industries. I was grateful for my employment there all the benefits of working for NOV and the great people I was able to connect with.
Pros
Safety Award Recognitions every 6 months
Cons
Feeling insecure in job due to market conditions
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod Shop25 November 2015
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
Pros
I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons
Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
Good goal
QA/QC Management (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB11 November 2015
Each month we set up a business goal for each departments and each person. And felt very excited when catching the goal. Many bonus come with the good job that was always fun and happy
It is a good company
Drilling Solution Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 October 2015
NOV is a good company because it invest a lot in the knowledge development of employees, NOV provide extreme training in all departments to all employees to improve their skill and to inspire them. NOV is a multicultural company works in deferent countries and respect all cultures. NOV motivate and give the opportunity to the employees to be managers and leaders and take responsibilities.
Pros
Interanational experience in sales and managment.
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
Lots of work, no time to rest
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta8 October 2015
Work was fine, but once they began pushing to keep going, you are Pushed to the point that it wasn't enjoyable anymore. It was unfortunate as many employees had left because of it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
long work hours
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.
Family oriented,accomplishments awarded,challenging,
Senior Sales Marketing ,senior field sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Sales plannlngTerritorial sales,delivery ,billing,inventory,customer entertainment ,sales plannlng for future,coworkers worked as team.one for all ,all for one,All coworkers were lke family,pay was excellent,work was gradifyingyour own boss]
,long hours in winter,away from family,
Pros
Famlly oriented, great company, excellent pay and benefits, traveling, monetary plus trips for accomplishments
Cons
long hours, laid off
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.30 September 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food
NOV
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
happy place to work
CNC Programmer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2015
was a great place to work no micro managing till corporation policy changes than become a unhappy place & micro managed real badly and a unhappy place to be till one day whole facility was closed after xmas break.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 September 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 August 2015
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Pros
that we were alway busy
Cons
working nights and weekends
Very Enjoyable Place to Work
Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2015
Very fun atmosphere.
Work hours were good.
Very clean place to work.
Made lots of good friends.
Would recommend this place to others.
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there