National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Employers, updated tools, good supervisors, good pay
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
the Documentation Department help a variety of tasks.
Education as to documentation processes, production of client.operation manuals, building cooperation between in-office and client departments.
Management were easy to work with, offered excellent support and training to those serious in succeeding.
The industry, being tied to Oil Exploration and Oil Production, was vulnerable to the world oil economy.
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors who were willing to train and benefit their employees.
Pros
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors
Cons
productive and fun work place
OverheadCrane,Skidsteer,Forklift&RodGuideOperator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2016
-on busy season a typical day at work is lots of things to do and learn
--i learned various equipment such as Skidsteer and forklift and in-house overhead crane operation and lots of material handling and management work involving in shipping and receiving in a warehouse/shop environment.
-hardest part of the job is when hoisting the rods loading and uploading it in a trailers, for a indoor crane operator like me, that really need precision, timing and cautions all the time in the work place, to eliminate any accident that may occur in the shop.
-enjoyable part of the job is everyones cooperation in doing their part in the operation of the shop.
Pros
lots of things to learn in shipping and receiving and material handling
Cons
not much over time, due of having 3 shift in a day.
Receiver
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2016
Lots of overtime when oil prices are high
To many white hats
Starting pay rate should be higher for this industry
many people get hired threw" friends and family program"
hire people who are new to the country cause they know they are desperate
Pros
lots of overtime when oil is doing well
Cons
To many white hats
Work work work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 17, 2015
Although my experience at National Oilwell Varco was great and indispensable, it was always work work work. 10 - 12 hour days, always go go go while you're there. They're wasn't much time for a social life. How ever it gave me some great experience. I have now moved back to BC for a little easier of a life style since the Oil industry has taken a dive,
Pros
Great salary, great friends at work.
Cons
No social life, and alwayx go go go.
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod ShopNovember 25, 2015
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
Pros
I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons
Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
Safe and fun working environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2015
I enjoyed working at National Oilwell Varco for 5 years but was laid off due to the down sizing in the company and current market condition in the Oil & Gas Industries. I was grateful for my employment there all the benefits of working for NOV and the great people I was able to connect with.
Pros
Safety Award Recognitions every 6 months
Cons
Feeling insecure in job due to market conditions
fun place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
it's always fun to work with hydraulics and something that could potentially kill you if you don't know what you are doing. management is good but of course every company has it's own complications. Awesome co-workers who understands having fun and work at the same time
Great team and awesome, positive, healthy team atmosphere
Data Entry BOM and Parts (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 10, 2016
No gossip, no favoritism...just a very calm atmosphere and no chaotic, or stress-producing work environment.

Management encourages open-door policy and provides a safe work environment.
learn lot of things
band saw operator / helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2016
the employers of this company is very helpfull,coperative with each orther as manager is very polite with every one and listen and slove their problems
Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2015
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
Good people to work with
Third-year Apprentice Millwright (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Good co-workers, management needs to be looked at
hardest part of the job is the insane deadlines and how everything is always rushed, and my favourite "ya, everything is rush, but this is super rush"
Productive and Fun place to work
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 18, 2016
Co-workers are great, friendly staff. Worked regular hours with a chance for over time. Management provided staff appreciation lunches every week. Regular staff reviews with options for advancement.
qulity work
Quality inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
NOV provide good quality of work and work environment
NOV management gave me very comfortable work culture and future opportunities to develop skill
Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 5, 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Conklin AB.September 30, 2015
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
Pros
good pay, good free food
great people
Painter/Prepper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with and the great choice in the management team.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with equipment that wasn't always working.
fun environment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 16, 2016
Overall it is good working place. People were very nice, always helpful. The salary was good and there is chances to grow in company. Just work hard,
pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 8, 2015
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
Pros
Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons
Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.