National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Communication is lacking
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
On a typical day of work I assemble items either for stock or for orders that are going out that day. I've learned many things while working for NOV but I am willing to learn a lot more. Management is alright but the communication between managers and employees if really lacking. It is frustrating for me when I'm giving false communications or there are miscommunication. I feel that in order for employees and managers to work well together there needs to be communication between employees and managers. If the managers are told one thing we employees are told another or the information doesn't get to us right away. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.
not a great place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
week management, workers don't rewarded for their hard work. it is the worst company i have aver worked for. promotion is based on who you know bases not who deserv it.
Pros
easy work day
Cons
not organized
People that i worked with were good. Good benefits.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
I have worked with this company for 4 years the first manager was the greatest. Then I seen 4 more not one new nothing about anything no help for the employees. HR the most horrible ever.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lots of snakes
High Stress
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 November 2016
Typical Day at Work: Balancing office life with shop work
What I Learned: Don't Give Up Too Easily
Management: Didn't always have my back
Co-Workers: A wide assortment of personalities
Hardest Part of the Job: High stress
Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Making the customer happy
Pros
Was home every night
Cons
A lot of responsibility for a small paycheck
Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB13 March 2017
Awesome crew of people you get to work with, management was great as well, easy way to get apprenticeships and plenty of opportunities that would help you in the long run.
Pros
Good pay, co workers are awesome
Cons
ever since oil went down everyone went down :(
loved to overseas
Engineer (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  bbk5 March 2017
working for NOV was a very great experience, going international was the bet part of my career so far. working with the company was a very great experience
see below
Inventory Administration and Customs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2017
My day involved creating import export documentation for
oilwell drill bits arriving in the country and also arranging all
the paperwork for customs clearance of the drill bits. I also
kept track of the drill bits in Canada, whether they are at a rig
or in the warehouse etc. I enjoyed working with the warehouse
employees and the drilll bit runners on a daily basis.
Pros
lots of lunch dates with customers
Opportunities for growth available to employees.
Benefits/HRA (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2016
A typical day at work is busy which is my preference. The work experience is broad touching on some HR related and employee benefits administration. Co-workers are easy-going. Management takes time to connect on a weekly basis.
Working at DNow
Cortex Invoicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK23 February 2017
Getting to work in the morning with everyone smiling & saying good morning was a very positive day feeling. We held a lot of company BBQs, it was good to chat with everyone. Could always approach my Supervisor with questions or just to listen to recommendations to improve the flow of work... always listened.
A good experience
HSE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
All employees took safety seriously, which made my job a lot easier.
Issues that came up were often first identified by the workers closest to that issue, and they brought them to managers and HSE for correction if they couldn't correct them.

The drop in the price of oil put a lot of pressure on the company, but management did all they could to resist wholesale layoffs. When they became necessary, it felt like they wished it were otherwise.

Want to know more about National Oilwell Varco?

Ask a question
friendly work environment
Lead hand (assembly mechanic (Millwright)) (Current Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta. Canada3 September 2016
I have worked for NOV and it's previous companies bought out by NOV for 11 years, In that time job security has been a solid. Reason for my continued employment as well as a fair and friendly work environment.
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
qulity work
Quality inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2016
NOV provide good quality of work and work environment
NOV management gave me very comfortable work culture and future opportunities to develop skill
productive and fun work place
OverheadCrane,Skidsteer,Forklift&RodGuideOperator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2016
-on busy season a typical day at work is lots of things to do and learn
--i learned various equipment such as Skidsteer and forklift and in-house overhead crane operation and lots of material handling and management work involving in shipping and receiving in a warehouse/shop environment.
-hardest part of the job is when hoisting the rods loading and uploading it in a trailers, for a indoor crane operator like me, that really need precision, timing and cautions all the time in the work place, to eliminate any accident that may occur in the shop.
-enjoyable part of the job is everyones cooperation in doing their part in the operation of the shop.
Pros
lots of things to learn in shipping and receiving and material handling
Cons
not much over time, due of having 3 shift in a day.
Good Employers, updated tools, good supervisors, good pay
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2016
the Documentation Department help a variety of tasks.
Education as to documentation processes, production of client.operation manuals, building cooperation between in-office and client departments.
Management were easy to work with, offered excellent support and training to those serious in succeeding.
The industry, being tied to Oil Exploration and Oil Production, was vulnerable to the world oil economy.
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors who were willing to train and benefit their employees.
Pros
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors
Cons
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 June 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
Long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
No job security, management is all over the place
Shipper/Receiver
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
I liked my job because it was in my wheelhouse as far as what I enjoyed doing. The bosses were good to me. The customers were nice. I enjoy working with both crane and forklift.
Pros
crane/forklift work
Cons
employees were sometimes rude
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
fun environment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 March 2016
Overall it is good working place. People were very nice, always helpful. The salary was good and there is chances to grow in company. Just work hard,
Very busy sector with people who are career focused
Planner/Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2016
Learnt a lot working within the company, they are strong beleivers in teaching employees to have them move forward within the company.
They also envouraged employees to be friendly and had employee moral as a high priority with weekly treats and team building exercises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

84%