National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Stab you in the back for brownie points culture
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB17 September 2017
From the payroll manager to the people processing, it's all about stepping on the back of anyone in front of you to try and make yourself look better and the HR manager helped foster this atmosphere at every turn. They did not ask questions, they accused you and then did not apologize when they were wrong. Typical oil and gas mentality.
Pros
Close to home, good pay
Cons
the people
Supervisors will Belittle you
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 August 2017
If you want to be forced to work illegal hours every day in a high stress environment this is the company for you. They will work you to death and hide it from safety. The supervisors will belittle, threaten and torment you. They are miserable degenerates.
Pros
Hmmmm
Cons
Terrible work environment
Does not value individual effort
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2017
The corporation does not value or reward individual effort and often rewards connected people over skilled people. Salaries are on the lower end of the competitive scale, with little financial or positional advancement opportunities over the years.
Pros
Benefit Package
Cons
Low Wage
Wonderful people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB25 July 2017
Wonderful people to work with and for. Opportunity to work anywhere in the world. Social activities for employees and family and abundant. Awesome place!!!!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Job security not so great
Can be productive and enjoyable place to work if management would not micro manage.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Very good benefits and ok pay. Most of the shop employees are great to work with. Many get work due to ethnicity and cheap labour. Highly micro managed, lead hands are not left to lead their teams. If this would change, it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Health benifits and rrsp matching
Cons
Poor managements
Great place to learn, Staff are very friendly
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2017
Assemble, install, remove, troubleshoot, and repair mechanical hydraulic and pneumatic mobile equipment, Staff are friendly and there always will to teach
Pros
some overtime hours
Cons
pay scale on the lower end
Good opportunities
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB14 June 2017
I worked at NOV for 12+ years and had a lot of positive experiences and opportunities over that time. Unfortunately with the downturn there was a lot of restructuring, and a new management team that came into Houston decided to shut down our engineering office in Edmonton. Overall it was a good place to work, but a lot of questionable decisions were made over the last 2 years and I can't say that I liked the direction the company was heading.
NOV is a great place to work
Fabrication Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange, CA5 June 2017
Working at NOV in Orange Ca it quickly becomes obvious that the leaders there started on the floor and worked their way up, as they treat all exceptionally well while holding all accountable and require a high energy quality and safe day of work.
Cons
Right now, the price of oil is down so there are no sales orders to fill
Good place to work, I liked it anyway
QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2017
The days tended to be long, but it was a great place to work. Management was very fair to me and I worked with a great bunch of people. I miss the people, the place and the job as a whole. Is asked to go back, I probably would.
Pros
Long hours, lots of OT
Cons
Long hours, lots of OT
Very Productive environment
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2017
It was a great place to work. Lots of potential until they shut down the facility. Other than that, there was lots of room to advance and learn different machining operations.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB13 March 2017
Awesome crew of people you get to work with, management was great as well, easy way to get apprenticeships and plenty of opportunities that would help you in the long run.
Pros
Good pay, co workers are awesome
Cons
ever since oil went down everyone went down :(
loved to overseas
Engineer (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  bbk5 March 2017
working for NOV was a very great experience, going international was the bet part of my career so far. working with the company was a very great experience
see below
Inventory Administration and Customs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2017
My day involved creating import export documentation for
oilwell drill bits arriving in the country and also arranging all
the paperwork for customs clearance of the drill bits. I also
kept track of the drill bits in Canada, whether they are at a rig
or in the warehouse etc. I enjoyed working with the warehouse
employees and the drilll bit runners on a daily basis.
Pros
lots of lunch dates with customers
Working at DNow
Cortex Invoicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK23 February 2017
Getting to work in the morning with everyone smiling & saying good morning was a very positive day feeling. We held a lot of company BBQs, it was good to chat with everyone. Could always approach my Supervisor with questions or just to listen to recommendations to improve the flow of work... always listened.
not a great place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
week management, workers don't rewarded for their hard work. it is the worst company i have aver worked for. promotion is based on who you know bases not who deserv it.
Pros
easy work day
Cons
not organized
Communication is lacking
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
On a typical day of work I assemble items either for stock or for orders that are going out that day. I've learned many things while working for NOV but I am willing to learn a lot more. Management is alright but the communication between managers and employees if really lacking. It is frustrating for me when I'm giving false communications or there are miscommunication. I feel that in order for employees and managers to work well together there needs to be communication between employees and managers. If the managers are told one thing we employees are told another or the information doesn't get to us right away. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.
People that i worked with were good. Good benefits.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
I have worked with this company for 4 years the first manager was the greatest. Then I seen 4 more not one new nothing about anything no help for the employees. HR the most horrible ever.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lots of snakes
High Stress
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 November 2016
Typical Day at Work: Balancing office life with shop work
What I Learned: Don't Give Up Too Easily
Management: Didn't always have my back
Co-Workers: A wide assortment of personalities
Hardest Part of the Job: High stress
Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Making the customer happy
Pros
Was home every night
Cons
A lot of responsibility for a small paycheck
Shipper/Receiver
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
I liked my job because it was in my wheelhouse as far as what I enjoyed doing. The bosses were good to me. The customers were nice. I enjoy working with both crane and forklift.
Pros
crane/forklift work
Cons
employees were sometimes rude
friendly work environment
Lead hand (assembly mechanic (Millwright)) (Current Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta. Canada3 September 2016
I have worked for NOV and it's previous companies bought out by NOV for 11 years, In that time job security has been a solid. Reason for my continued employment as well as a fair and friendly work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval