National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons: no job security, management is all over the place
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting – more... all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all. – less
A great work enviornment
Document Control (Former Employee), Stavanger, NorwayFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
I started my document control career at NOV and I do not regret that. I learned so much and my co-workers were so enjoyable and friendly. hardest part of the job was all the deadlines but it made time go by faster as I like to work in fast paced environments.
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, less pay
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), ...September 8, 2013
Pros: safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons: managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on – more... keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management. – less
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
Pros: they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons: project management seem shaky
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like – more... no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment. – less
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons: supervisor had poor english
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGJuly 11, 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons: very low salary
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your – more... family every night. – less
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), leducMarch 11, 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
good company to work for great workers and great company
DOWNHOLE Tools Evaluation Engineer II (Former Employee), saudiOctober 10, 2012
Pros: great salary
Typical day goes great with alot of tasks .
Learned and gained alot of experience about drilling and downhole tools.
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun and free lunches
Cons: 12 hours shift
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Great Place to Work
Final Documentation Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 17, 2014
Worked in Documentation
Hard to advance within the company at times
Job security and constant challenges
Repair Engineer (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 16, 2014
NOV provides great job security while providing new challenges to be tackled everyday. I have had plenty of opportunities to learn about the new products and services that go into drilling. The management is a pro and con. They hire and promote on potential which is great for new opportunities but they also ignore problems due to this as well.
Customer Service
Operational Manager (Current Employee), Elk City, OKJuly 14, 2014
Pros: access for company truck
Cons: travel
I have been with National Oilwell Varco for almost 10years. I have worked myself up to learn all aspects of the company. I know that I would like to advance more but are limited because of location. I was raised in Weatherford & my children are currently attending school in Weatherford. I'm linked to this location. I have been in the management role – more... and it was a learning experience that I was not given excess amount of time to turn around the facility. I was re-directed to another location. I have proved myself as an employee because of my knowledge & loyalty to this company I was able to continue my current pay. I am bless that I was given that opportunity to learn & i want to continue to learn. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people. The hardest part of the job is the oil industry comes & goes. – less
Good Job, but on call 24/7 365
Sales and Service Technician (Former Employee), LouisianaJuly 7, 2014
Good people, good job, but you will be run ragged. Things could have changed since I have left. If you want things done right do them yourself. Don't count on someone that is suppose to take care of a job to do it correctly.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 1, 2014
Good place to work. Very educational. Management is helpful.
Horrible
Field Sales (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 18, 2014
Pros: office had free coffee
Cons: is that i was employed there
Horrible work experience, management was unprofessional, they would come to work in reef shoes and a mouth full of dip. Dip cups all over the office, and most workers would come in with dirty shirts and wrinkled clothing.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies¬†operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos