National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great work enviornment
Document Control (Former Employee), Stavanger, NorwayFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
I started my document control career at NOV and I do not regret that. I learned so much and my co-workers were so enjoyable and friendly. hardest part of the job was all the deadlines but it made time go by faster as I like to work in fast paced environments.
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, less pay
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), ...September 8, 2013
Pros: safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons: managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on – more... keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management. – less
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
Pros: they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons: project management seem shaky
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like – more... no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment. – less
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons: supervisor had poor english
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGJuly 11, 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons: very low salary
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your – more... family every night. – less
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), leducMarch 11, 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
good company to work for great workers and great company
DOWNHOLE Tools Evaluation Engineer II (Former Employee), saudiOctober 10, 2012
Pros: great salary
Typical day goes great with alot of tasks .
Learned and gained alot of experience about drilling and downhole tools.
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun and free lunches
Cons: 12 hours shift
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Great Company
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee), Scott, LAApril 4, 2014
I loved my job at National Oilwell Varco. The location I worked at had a family feel and that was something I truly loved. I started off as receptionist and data entry but quickly moved into the Accounting department which I absolutely love.
A typical MNC that forget human capital is their greatest asset.
An Executive (Former Employee), 4 Gul WayApril 4, 2014
* Lack of focus & not really willing to invest on grooming talent for the plant although they do claimed they training.... Most of the training are oversea, i.e USA.
* Plant doesn't involve in "after hours" activities to boost working relationship between colleagues.
* Top Level Management does not respect/follow the local culture and insist of doing – more... things which they believe the 'best practice", causing strain on the relationship with the employees in the plant.
* Top level management doesn't have much connection with the lower level, hence relationship, understanding, beliefs cannot gel.
* In short,company doesn't look after the employees. It is very hard of the managers & snr executive to provide necessary support to improve the place into HPC environment when lacking top management support. – less
ok company
fitter (Former Employee), Houston Texas galena parkMarch 25, 2014
If you are a black man or white man this is not the location for you they only hired Mexican they only hired black man and white man for their quoted after 1 to 3 months they will let you go the because you work to slow
Plenty of opportunity for advancement, compensated well
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits, salary, bonus, culture, co-workers, corporate giant backing
Cons: demanding irregular hours, not a 9-5. never really off work, work phone
The field sales job is probably typical of any oil and gas field sales position. NOV is a giant in oil and gas industry so awesome opportunity to go anywhere with the company. Demands a lot of time and energy, but you are compensated well for that time and energy.
Productive workplace
Mechanical Designer/Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 20, 2014
Great company to be employed with. I've learned a lot about the industry thus far and I'd love to take my talents to the next level.
Great job, great pay, great benefits!
Warehouse/Driver (Former Employee), Alva, OKMarch 18, 2014
Pros: great pay, benefits, learning
This was a great job. A typical day at work consisted of loading and unloading parts trailers, inventory parts, and delivering parts to oil rigs. I learned quite a bit about the oil industry in general, how things worked, and the parts they used to make everything work. The hardest part of the job was the mental challenge to overcome working in the – more... 130 degree trailers in the summer time. With plenty of hydration it wasn't hard to overcome. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work at my own pace, listen to music as I worked, and the constant moving around. It helped me physically get fit and feel more healthy, all while learning and getting paid! – less
Enhanced interpersonal skills
Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 17, 2014
Enjoyed working with a variety of people, getting a chance to improve my interpersonal skills and seeing the various sides to Human Resources.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies¬†operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos