National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee), Nisku, ABAugust 12, 2014
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons: no job security, management is all over the place
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting – more... all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all. – less
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, less pay
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), ...September 8, 2013
Pros: safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons: managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on – more... keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management. – less
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
Pros: they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons: project management seem shaky
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like – more... no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment. – less
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons: supervisor had poor english
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGJuly 11, 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons: very low salary
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your – more... family every night. – less
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), leducMarch 11, 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun and free lunches
Cons: 12 hours shift
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
Operation
Solid Control Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 28, 2014
Worked as a great team player, ability to troubleshoot equipments and expose to better drilling techniques in oil and gas industry . The hardest part of the job is the weather condition, you work during any kind of weather . No enjoyable moment
safety meeting every morning ,gives all of us time to get focused on our work .
Calibration Technician (Current Employee), Pampa, TXAugust 28, 2014
Pros: good benefit pkg
Cons: short breaks and half an hour lunch
im a very busy man ,i cover several positions through out the day ,ive learned to go with the flow ,our manager is new ,not sure about him yet,co workers are great,paperwork is the hardest part of my position ,and just always being on schedule is the most rewarding part of my job .
Fun workplace
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER (Current Employee), SingaporeAugust 26, 2014
Great company to work with. Great colleagues. Ample training provided. Brings out your best.
A good career learning experience.
Auditor (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 25, 2014
This job taught me how to be organized, problem solve and work with in a team. Daily job duties included verifying expense reports in accordance to IRS policy and communication with employee's. The most enjoyable part of the job was the skills and tools that i learned.
Good working environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 21, 2014
Great culture and good benefit
Lot's of opportunity for training
Work schedule not to flexible
BOP Assembler/Tester (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2014
would stay working nights. management just worried more about product than personal
A lot of opportunities for career growth
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston TxAugust 20, 2014
Pros: career growth
Cons: long hours
Diverse group of people. Training opportunities are always encouraged, it all depends on what career path you want to pursue. It is safe place wo work in.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos