National Oilwell Varco Employee Review

View all National Oilwell Varco reviews

a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2013
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily  more... assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment.  less
Pros
they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and RRSP.
Cons
project management seem shaky

Other National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

A good place to start
Assistant Shipper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
Has good environment, if you find the people who fit your type of personality or course, management doesn’t bother you too much, although they will be all over if you mess up majorly.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Politics
Fast Paced Industry
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB1 November 2017
It is a fast paced industry. Dealing with the ongoing changes of the oil and gas industry. I have had plenty of different responsibilities in my last 6 years employed by NOV. I have worked on the shop floor and have done multiple different administration tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location