National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: people, environment, management
Cons: low pay
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee), Nisku, ABAugust 12, 2014
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons: no job security, management is all over the place
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting – more... all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all. – less
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, less pay
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), ...September 8, 2013
Pros: safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons: managers need a lessen or training on how to manage their staff...
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on – more... keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management. – less
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: lots of over time
Cons: n/a
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons: supervisor had poor english
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGJuly 11, 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons: very low salary
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your – more... family every night. – less
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), leducMarch 11, 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun and free lunches
Cons: 12 hours shift
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
very nice place to work
Drill Bit Proposal Clerk (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2014
The people were nice and there was room for advancement from within.
Nation Oilwell Varco
(Contract) - Accounts Receivable/ Billing Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2014
My last job I enjoyed the environment that I work in and I really learned a lot from my supervisor
A Waste of life
mechanical assembly (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: everything else
I have to to say there are truly some great people who work here,and then there is everyone else.I've never seen such discusting work environment. You have people that sit and start rumours,and lies,and thier weak management keeps them Around although they know it's going to create issues.News flash,hire someone that knows that job,or actually train – more... then,something NOV is know known for(not training)and rid your self of these disturbing individuals who go Around claiming GOD is protecting them and spit out words of hate about everyone including the very people she works with,and this manager does nothing.The HR department is a joke, they lie act like they want the best for you,but all they want is info so that you can burn your bridge so that you can get the classic no rehirable speech for your new employer. When I finally walked out that door and got home and washed the filth that place produces off of me I felt At peace,I felt great,I felt awesome.
Whoever wrote the horrendous management hit the nail on the head,they are made up of complete liars,jerks,no moral backpack bone and the plant manger thinks it's ok to have his boat winterized by staff on the clock.I was there for 7years,the last 3 I hated it everyday and got out,did better and now I'm happy.NOV cedar park is filed with idiots who belittle employees,I've even heard management call a certain employee ghetto trash,then try to preach gung ho.Do yourself a favor,and avoid this toilet at all cost.lots of floaters in here,lots of backwoods 1958 thinking,and if your a woman or a person of any color,you can forget it. This is the sickest place I've seen hands down. – less
National Oilwell Varco Work Day
Accounts Payable/iExpense Auditor (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: 25 cent sodas
Cons: repetitive work load
Typical work is about 8 hours. Auditors get two 20min break times and a 30 min lunch break. Auditors do not really move around from their cube unless they are getting up for a restroom or the breaks listed above. The work of a auditor is repetitive and can often have bad days pop up from angry customs/ preparers of these expense reports.
company is very good, but i am looking for a good oppurtunity
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Abu Dhabi, AZAugust 31, 2014
i am doing there oil based maintenance work , from there i learned more about oil based equipments.so i am looking for good package.
Operation
Solid Control Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 28, 2014
Worked as a great team player, ability to troubleshoot equipments and expose to better drilling techniques in oil and gas industry . The hardest part of the job is the weather condition, you work during any kind of weather . No enjoyable moment

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies¬†operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos