National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to woork
Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: people, environment, management
Cons: low pay
Nice colleagues, comfortable environment, pay depends on duties but overall a low standard pay. One can expect a good experience while working here as there are many different things to work on and various systems that can boost one's experience.
lobster fisherman
labourer (Former Employee), nova scotiaSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: lunches
Cons: labourer
ive had over 5 years expierence in labour work on land and on water
Working as labourer is not that great, but working in offices or as engineers is much better
Drill Bits Repair Technician (Current Employee), Nisku, ABAugust 12, 2014
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons: no job security, management is all over the place
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting – more... all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all. – less
good place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), edmontonJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, less pay
Great people to work with. People are very friendly.
not management people though.
a lot of fun and challenges to learn at work
Fabrication Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2013
Pros: they give great benefits on health, dental, visions and rrsp.
Cons: project management seem shaky
In the oil and gas industry, projects may come and go. There are times that we are so busy and need to work 12 hours Monday to Friday and 8 hours on Saturday to catch up the deadlines. There are times that we have nothing except to do yard clean up and organize raw materials. It feels bad to see co workers gone (laid-off) because of the situation, like – more... no projects. When this happen i always ask myself why do they have to let the workers to work hard for a few months or years for them to be out of work when they're done. Something is not right. I've been in this company for more than 7 years and the trend of the production are always the same, up and down. We are lucky if the projects could last for 2 years before it slows down again. In spite of all these, i did enjoy working with them. Its fun most of the time. I was laid off twice and come back to work because of the challenges ahead. I love to learn new stuff this is where i enjoy experiencing them. When they give me this new challenge to Lead one section of the production line, at first i got scared knowing that i have to deal with the management and group's expectation. But i passed the challenges, i survived and still on my position as the Lead person. I'm glad that i have work with people that understands me and the way i lead and make decisions. Since then everything went well and production did goes high and surpass the management expectations and in return they are happy for us. I just hope that i wont be laid-off again since we are currently under no projects / slow down time. My group including me are now temporarily assign to do other stuff to help other sections meet they're deadline. Feels like this is another scary moment. – less
very gd enviroment
Sandblasting and Forklift operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: lots of over time
Cons: n/a
the company got me traind me as a forklift oprator n had very gd experiance
exellent management and fun place to work on
my co-workers was fun
the most injoyeble part part was me weaking up 5 am and knowingthat i was going to work for NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO .
Productive and always something to do
Wash hand/labourer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great staff, free lunches, let off early for holiday weekends
Cons: supervisor had poor english
always busy learned alot about safety and surroundings. Managment was always on time and well organized but had very poor english, co-workers were friendly and nice people to work with, hardest part of the job was keeping the managment staff and supervisors happy most enjoyable part of the job was that you were independant.
I Love my Job
Inventory Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGJuly 11, 2013
Working with a great team with great sense of communication widens your interest and increases your performance in any organisation which is what makes OILWELL VARCO standout.
Poor salary, great hours
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, lots of overtime
Cons: very low salary
National Oilwell Varco probably has the lowest paid Millwrights in all of edmonton. The journeyman rate is well below industry standards.

Besides the poor wage, the hours are great, they're very flexible. The people are good-natured, there isn't someone nipping at your heels all the time.

The best part of this job is that you get to go home to your – more... family every night. – less
no support
Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
NOV does not help you with very much. very little training and they don't seem to care.
Not the place for me
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), leducMarch 11, 2013
Staff had no direction; not interesting; data entering all day; i learned pivot tables
Great people!
1st Year Welder Apprentice (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2013
Ive been working with NOV for 11 months and recieved my blue book apprentice, they are always motivating me to learn more.
Co workers are fabulous, management is wonderful.
I have learned many things about fabrication, working in a welding shop. Perfect Company to build a Career.
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2012
would receive incoming crates, stock shelfs, move stuff with forklift, pull parts, ship parts
productive and fun place
lExperienced as a tool room in-charge (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun and free lunches
Cons: 12 hours shift
learned new ideas and challenging jobs from co-workers and management.
They have a pool table.
Machinist (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 17, 2014
N.O.V. Air Center is a good plant to work at. They have a great work ethic and take good care of their employees. Managment is always looking for ways to improve the plant moral and team spirit.
Great Company
Safety Department (Former Employee), Orange, CAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: the pay was well
Cons: work slowed down at that time.
Good company to work for good money and benefits. Area for opportunity for everyone.
Temp Position
Assembly Inspector (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 13, 2014
Temporary position, good start when trying to get into the oilfield.
very demanding
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXOctober 11, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: bad management
When the Eagle Ford Shale hit we were so short staffed it made it hard to keep your head above water.
Management did not seem to think the issue was bad enough to hire more employees.
Hardest part was going to work everyday knowing nothing had been accomplished.
Going home was the best part of the day
Productive workplace
BOP & SBOP Assy /Test Lead, Assist Mgr Riser Dept (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 11, 2014
Fast paced enviroment, with so much to learn, and many people willing to teach.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is one of the world’s leading equipment and service providers to the oil and gas industry. – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos