National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

People that i worked with were good. Good benefits.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
I have worked with this company for 4 years the first manager was the greatest. Then I seen 4 more not one new nothing about anything no help for the employees. HR the most horrible ever.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lots of snakes
Opportunities for growth available to employees.
Benefits/HRA (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2016
A typical day at work is busy which is my preference. The work experience is broad touching on some HR related and employee benefits administration. Co-workers are easy-going. Management takes time to connect on a weekly basis.
Communication is lacking
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
On a typical day of work I assemble items either for stock or for orders that are going out that day. I've learned many things while working for NOV but I am willing to learn a lot more. Management is alright but the communication between managers and employees if really lacking. It is frustrating for me when I'm giving false communications or there are miscommunication. I feel that in order for employees and managers to work well together there needs to be communication between employees and managers. If the managers are told one thing we employees are told another or the information doesn't get to us right away. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.
High Stress
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 November 2016
Typical Day at Work: Balancing office life with shop work
What I Learned: Don't Give Up Too Easily
Management: Didn't always have my back
Co-Workers: A wide assortment of personalities
Hardest Part of the Job: High stress
Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Making the customer happy
Pros
Was home every night
Cons
A lot of responsibility for a small paycheck
fun environment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 March 2016
Overall it is good working place. People were very nice, always helpful. The salary was good and there is chances to grow in company. Just work hard,
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
Work work work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 December 2015
Although my experience at National Oilwell Varco was great and indispensable, it was always work work work. 10 - 12 hour days, always go go go while you're there. They're wasn't much time for a social life. How ever it gave me some great experience. I have now moved back to BC for a little easier of a life style since the Oil industry has taken a dive,
Pros
Great salary, great friends at work.
Cons
No social life, and alwayx go go go.
A good experience
HSE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
All employees took safety seriously, which made my job a lot easier.
Issues that came up were often first identified by the workers closest to that issue, and they brought them to managers and HSE for correction if they couldn't correct them.

The drop in the price of oil put a lot of pressure on the company, but management did all they could to resist wholesale layoffs. When they became necessary, it felt like they wished it were otherwise.
Family oriented,accomplishments awarded,challenging,
Senior Sales Marketing ,senior field sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Sales plannlngTerritorial sales,delivery ,billing,inventory,customer entertainment ,sales plannlng for future,coworkers worked as team.one for all ,all for one,All coworkers were lke family,pay was excellent,work was gradifyingyour own boss]
,long hours in winter,away from family,
Pros
Famlly oriented, great company, excellent pay and benefits, traveling, monetary plus trips for accomplishments
Cons
long hours, laid off
friendly work environment
Lead hand (assembly mechanic (Millwright)) (Current Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta. Canada3 September 2016
I have worked for NOV and it's previous companies bought out by NOV for 11 years, In that time job security has been a solid. Reason for my continued employment as well as a fair and friendly work environment.
Safe and fun working environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
I enjoyed working at National Oilwell Varco for 5 years but was laid off due to the down sizing in the company and current market condition in the Oil & Gas Industries. I was grateful for my employment there all the benefits of working for NOV and the great people I was able to connect with.
Pros
Safety Award Recognitions every 6 months
Cons
Feeling insecure in job due to market conditions
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
Shipper/Receiver
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
I liked my job because it was in my wheelhouse as far as what I enjoyed doing. The bosses were good to me. The customers were nice. I enjoy working with both crane and forklift.
Pros
crane/forklift work
Cons
employees were sometimes rude
Good Place to work
Leadhand - Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 December 2015
NOV is a very good company to work for. NOV offers a an excellent benefits coverage plan. However, there is room for improvement in the dispersal of employees in each department.
Pros
Safety Award Recogintions every 6 months
Cons
Under staffed in some departments
Very busy sector with people who are career focused
Planner/Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2016
Learnt a lot working within the company, they are strong beleivers in teaching employees to have them move forward within the company.
They also envouraged employees to be friendly and had employee moral as a high priority with weekly treats and team building exercises.
productive and fun work place
OverheadCrane,Skidsteer,Forklift&RodGuideOperator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2016
-on busy season a typical day at work is lots of things to do and learn
--i learned various equipment such as Skidsteer and forklift and in-house overhead crane operation and lots of material handling and management work involving in shipping and receiving in a warehouse/shop environment.
-hardest part of the job is when hoisting the rods loading and uploading it in a trailers, for a indoor crane operator like me, that really need precision, timing and cautions all the time in the work place, to eliminate any accident that may occur in the shop.
-enjoyable part of the job is everyones cooperation in doing their part in the operation of the shop.
Pros
lots of things to learn in shipping and receiving and material handling
Cons
not much over time, due of having 3 shift in a day.
Good Employers, updated tools, good supervisors, good pay
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2016
the Documentation Department help a variety of tasks.
Education as to documentation processes, production of client.operation manuals, building cooperation between in-office and client departments.
Management were easy to work with, offered excellent support and training to those serious in succeeding.
The industry, being tied to Oil Exploration and Oil Production, was vulnerable to the world oil economy.
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors who were willing to train and benefit their employees.
Pros
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors
Good Company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2015
Was a very slow working environment . Benefits and salary were good. The people were very nice and the location was very good and they supplied parking
Great for people learning trades
Red Seal Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  ...8 September 2013
NOV is a great place for people just entering the trades. Great benefits, good place to learn. However most the management staff at NOV, are people who advance through the many years of service, no peoples skill what so ever. If u can get past the mana-jerks, then its a great place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. They do a great job on keeping everyone safe, thanks to the safety management.
Pros
Safe environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
Managers need a lessen or training on how to Manage their staff...
Good professional company
Precision Manual Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
National Oilwelll Varco was a good organized company, after the company saw that I was a very responsible employee they let me work as much overtime as I wanted.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location