National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
pleasant co workers
Machinist 3rd year (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2016
nice people to work with. good benefit plan good mentors. Nice machines good equipment and safety protocols. Nice jobs to work on
great people
Painter/Prepper (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with and the great choice in the management team.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with equipment that wasn't always working.
Good people to work with
Third-year Apprentice Millwright (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Good co-workers, management needs to be looked at
hardest part of the job is the insane deadlines and how everything is always rushed, and my favourite "ya, everything is rush, but this is super rush"
fun place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
it's always fun to work with hydraulics and something that could potentially kill you if you don't know what you are doing. management is good but of course every company has it's own complications. Awesome co-workers who understands having fun and work at the same time
Productive and Fun place to work
Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 18, 2016
Co-workers are great, friendly staff. Worked regular hours with a chance for over time. Management provided staff appreciation lunches every week. Regular staff reviews with options for advancement.
Work work work
Foreman (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Great salary, great friends at work.
Cons: No social life, and alwayx go go go.
Although my experience at National Oilwell Varco was great and indispensable, it was always work work work. 10 - 12 hour days, always go go go while you're there. They're wasn't much time for a social life. How ever it gave me some great experience. I have now moved back to BC for a little easier of a life style since the Oil industry has taken a dive,
Great place to start an apprenticeship, not the best to finish one
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2015
Pros: Good people
Cons: Mandatory overtime to make industry norm wages
The people are the best part of the company, very friendly and willing to teach. The downside is that the kind of work isn't very challenging for a second year apprentice
Good Company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 10, 2015
Was a very slow working environment . Benefits and salary were good. The people were very nice and the location was very good and they supplied parking
Safe and fun working environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Safety Award Recognitions every 6 months
Cons: Feeling insecure in job due to market conditions
I enjoyed working at National Oilwell Varco for 5 years but was laid off due to the down sizing in the company and current market condition in the Oil & Gas Industries. I was grateful for my employment there all the benefits of working for NOV and the great people I was able to connect with.
Fast paced, busy, multi-tasking environment.
administrative assistant (Former Employee), Tuboscope Division, Edmonton Rod ShopNovember 25, 2015
Pros: I enjoyed the multi-tasking required. It made each day different.
Cons: Because it was a rod shop, it was a dusty environment.
My ability to use my multi-tasking and organizational skills to the fullest was exercised every day, handling everything from reception duties to purchase orders and payroll entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, and was fortunate to have any required training and back up for the asking.
nice work environment and staff
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2015
it was good just needed a change in career
nbvnnnnnnnnnbbbbbcncgjvjvhvggvcbcgcgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Working in the Oil Sector
Executive Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 8, 2015
I am grateful for employment at NOV. I have been promoted in less than three years from receptionist to Assistant to the Director of Operations. I feel that my hard work and dedication to my job is greatly appreciated and valued. However, training on the job is very poor, luckily I am a fast learner and can decipher problems independently. In the end I believe learning the hard way is the best way. One remembers those life lessons permanently. I am happy that all co-workers are understanding and helpful along the way. However, the hardest part of my job is not knowing if it will be permanent or temporary at this point in time.
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 5, 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.
A good job but to short
General Laborer (Former Employee), Conklin AB.September 30, 2015
Pros: good pay, good free food
A typical day involved getting up around 6 and driving out to the site about twenty minutes away. We then had a cross shift meeting and took over the sit for the next 12 hours. The job was to unload vac-trucks full of drilling mud over shakers and take the remaining fluid and process it. I was responsible for moving heavy bags of chemicals up onto tanks, mixing them in, and taking samples to ensure it was safe to re use the reclaimed water. I also transfer the mix to different tanks through the process and was also responsible for maintenance and site tidiness.
NOV
Business Analyst-CA Expense Audit Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Great company to work for, lost my position due to a down turn in the oilfield industry. While I was working for NOV I had an opportunity to travel to Norway and Denmark.
Typical Oilfield Culture
Process Analyst (Former Employee), Nisku, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Company car, credit card and my own office when not travelling
Cons: Long drives to nowhere. Untrained management in some cases.
In a typical day I would travel to one of 26 locations in western Canada and work with management to perform annual process audits and inventory counts. The hardest part of the job was being away for days at a time in very small towns.
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee), CalgaryAugust 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, travel
Cons: long hours, management
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
great Place to work cause i had a great team to work with
Senior Track-A-Tool Administrative (Former Employee), Nisku, ABAugust 7, 2015
Pros: that we were alway busy
Cons: working nights and weekends
help all the guys was problems and making packings. accounts payables from being to end . enter all po's and match all packing slip . do check runs every week and expense account , month end reports and GST cheques. management was wonderful had great bosses and great co workers , the hardest part was great yelled at for something that you had no control over. the most enjoyable part was having great people to work with and being able to have fun at work .
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee), calgary, abMay 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: working there
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Large company forgetting the small touches
Canadian Operations Manager (Former Employee), EdmontonFebruary 26, 2015
Fast, continuous growth by aquisition has created a chaotic, disorganized environment.
Not a stable environment as of late.
Headquarters