National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Opportunities for growth available to employees.
Benefits/HRA (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2016
A typical day at work is busy which is my preference. The work experience is broad touching on some HR related and employee benefits administration. Co-workers are easy-going. Management takes time to connect on a weekly basis.
A good experience
HSE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
All employees took safety seriously, which made my job a lot easier.
Issues that came up were often first identified by the workers closest to that issue, and they brought them to managers and HSE for correction if they couldn't correct them.

The drop in the price of oil put a lot of pressure on the company, but management did all they could to resist wholesale layoffs. When they became necessary, it felt like they wished it were otherwise.
qulity work
Quality inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2016
NOV provide good quality of work and work environment
NOV management gave me very comfortable work culture and future opportunities to develop skill
friendly work environment
Lead hand (assembly mechanic (Millwright)) (Current Employee) –  Nisku, Alberta. Canada3 September 2016
I have worked for NOV and it's previous companies bought out by NOV for 11 years, In that time job security has been a solid. Reason for my continued employment as well as a fair and friendly work environment.
productive and fun work place
OverheadCrane,Skidsteer,Forklift&RodGuideOperator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2016
-on busy season a typical day at work is lots of things to do and learn
--i learned various equipment such as Skidsteer and forklift and in-house overhead crane operation and lots of material handling and management work involving in shipping and receiving in a warehouse/shop environment.
-hardest part of the job is when hoisting the rods loading and uploading it in a trailers, for a indoor crane operator like me, that really need precision, timing and cautions all the time in the work place, to eliminate any accident that may occur in the shop.
-enjoyable part of the job is everyones cooperation in doing their part in the operation of the shop.
Pros
lots of things to learn in shipping and receiving and material handling
Cons
not much over time, due of having 3 shift in a day.
Good Employers, updated tools, good supervisors, good pay
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2016
the Documentation Department help a variety of tasks.
Education as to documentation processes, production of client.operation manuals, building cooperation between in-office and client departments.
Management were easy to work with, offered excellent support and training to those serious in succeeding.
The industry, being tied to Oil Exploration and Oil Production, was vulnerable to the world oil economy.
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors who were willing to train and benefit their employees.
Pros
Working with seasoned employees and supervisors
National Oilwell Varco is a good company to work for
Field Service Technician / Operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2015
National Oilwell Varco is a great company to work for with a fairly good work enviornment. Most people I work with want to be there and want to contribute to overall success of the company. The benefits are great, with rrsp matching and dental, vision and medical up to 80% with a 600 dollar year health spending account. However, since my time here (3 years), management has changed three times. They dont seem to be advancing the right people for the right positions.
Overall NOV is a good company to work for, the pay salary could be higher, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, management
fun environment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 March 2016
Overall it is good working place. People were very nice, always helpful. The salary was good and there is chances to grow in company. Just work hard,
Very busy sector with people who are career focused
Planner/Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2016
Learnt a lot working within the company, they are strong beleivers in teaching employees to have them move forward within the company.
They also envouraged employees to be friendly and had employee moral as a high priority with weekly treats and team building exercises.
Productive and Fun place to work
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 January 2016
Co-workers are great, friendly staff. Worked regular hours with a chance for over time. Management provided staff appreciation lunches every week. Regular staff reviews with options for advancement.
Shipper/Receiver
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
I liked my job because it was in my wheelhouse as far as what I enjoyed doing. The bosses were good to me. The customers were nice. I enjoy working with both crane and forklift.
Pros
crane/forklift work
Cons
employees were sometimes rude
Family oriented,accomplishments awarded,challenging,
Senior Sales Marketing ,senior field sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Sales plannlngTerritorial sales,delivery ,billing,inventory,customer entertainment ,sales plannlng for future,coworkers worked as team.one for all ,all for one,All coworkers were lke family,pay was excellent,work was gradifyingyour own boss]
,long hours in winter,away from family,
Pros
Famlly oriented, great company, excellent pay and benefits, traveling, monetary plus trips for accomplishments
Cons
long hours, laid off
Uneducated management and low pay
technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab13 May 2015
If you love to kiss up to management for low pay and below industry standard benefits then this is the job for you. Management in Canada likes to keep you down and there is no room for advancement. At the first sign of a drop in the economy they lay you off immediately even though they may have 10record years in a row everyone is disposable. It is a toxic work environment where if you don't agree with management then you will be let go. Other divisions within the company seem ok but stay away from downhole and distribution.
Pros
Cons
working there
Good professional company
Precision Manual Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
National Oilwelll Varco was a good organized company, after the company saw that I was a very responsible employee they let me work as much overtime as I wanted.
Good working environment and safety conscious
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2016
A very good place to work and build a career. They are very conscious about work safety. They have more career advancement courses for employees.
Good place to work with great people
Painter/ Hydraulic Skid Unit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 June 2014
A typical day at work for me would be going into work at 7 am. Once there, I would clock in and go up to my bay. I would then go about my normal duties which consisted of:

- Preparing hydraulic drives and any other necessary pieces to be painted.
- Moving and sorting out my bay with different pieces of equipment
- Preparing spray-gun and PPE
- Painting all that needed to be
- Going back inside and helping co-workers with anything they need help with.
- Building hydraulic skid units/hydraulic drives

The hardest part of my job was all the manual lifting and moving of equipment. anywhere from 40-400 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. They made my job a lot easier to enjoy over-all.
Pros
Long hours, free lunches here and there, great people to work with, decent pay
Cons
No job security, management is all over the place
Work work work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 December 2015
Although my experience at National Oilwell Varco was great and indispensable, it was always work work work. 10 - 12 hour days, always go go go while you're there. They're wasn't much time for a social life. How ever it gave me some great experience. I have now moved back to BC for a little easier of a life style since the Oil industry has taken a dive,
Pros
Great salary, great friends at work.
Cons
No social life, and alwayx go go go.
great people
Painter/Prepper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with and the great choice in the management team.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with equipment that wasn't always working.
Great team and awesome, positive, healthy team atmosphere
Data Entry BOM and Parts (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2016
No gossip, no favoritism...just a very calm atmosphere and no chaotic, or stress-producing work environment.

Management encourages open-door policy and provides a safe work environment.
my work at NOV
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2015
I start my work at 6 am in the morning. The type of work i used to do is to perform wiring and electrical details on the pressure piping and coil tubing equipment. I made sure that all the components are assembled properly and securely. I usually report the things I did and ask the things I should perform on a daily basis. Towards my co workers, there's a sound relationship surrounding the workplace. We do communicate clearly as to avoid misunderstandings about work. The management has done a great job in keeping us aware on the safety inside the workplace especially on working heavy equipment that may cause injury to us. The hardest part I deal with in work is time management when there are things to be done while no spare parts have arrived.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location