National Money Mart Employee Reviews

fun place to work
CSR and Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 October 2016
great management
great job very fun
long hours though
stressful
not great pay
good benefits
great security
not a lot for movement up the company unless you move
Pros
fun job
Cons
not great pay
Fast paced environment
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC20 October 2016
Great to work with. But the Salary isn't enough based on the workload you have to achieve. Sometimes your boss doesn't very supportive.
Pros
Great training for who wants to grow with the company
Cons
Long hours, OT not paid
Amazing work environment
Corporate Staff (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 September 2016
Great team of people compromised with excellence
Aswesome corporate job environment
Very approachable organization
I had an amazing boss and co-workers
Pros
Trust, Professionalism, Work environment, Oportunities, Co-workers
Cons
Salary
Brutal
Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2016
They were not understanding when days are needed off. I was laid off due to cut backs yet no stores were closed for a year. They told me one wage at the interview, then when I met with the location manager, he tried undercutting my wage by a dollar an hour which would have made my hourly wage around minimum at the time.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Long Hours, terrible management at every level, required to work when they want and what location they designate you for the shift
Fun team enviroment
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2016
I worked for National Money Mart for 26 years and during those years I learned how build a successful business, through effective sales technics, Marketing and team management. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to hire, train and work with many incredible people. Unfortunately when the company had to cut cost, those of us that had been there the longest and help make National Money Mart the world wide corporation it is today, were the first to loose our jobs. However I do have to thank them for the knowledge, training and skills they allowed me to develop during my years with them.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
Very poor managment and worse upper managment
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 August 2016
I was with the company for a while and if u don't kiss butt then u won't go far with this company. If u do your job well it's not enough. Long hours with no relief or breaks. No direct contact with a person from human resources when needed. The dm is a joke who promises the world and then says she never said it. Great place to learn about money. But you work alone 99% of the time. Super high turn over rate. I don't recommend this place.
Pros
Lots to learn and meeting new people daily
Cons
Long hours and very poor managment
Fun work environment
CSR and District Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2015
I liked working at money mart, despite being let go due to my position no longer being necessary to the company; it was not performance related, so I don't really have hard feelings about it. I enjoyed coming to work, and I think I was good at my job. There were some tough sales targets to meet sometimes, and sometimes my hours were cut down, which made things stressful, but eventually I got the hang of things. I worked there for 3 years and made a lot of friends. The wages were a tad low, but it was enough to live on, plus the overtime pay was good. The health benefits were good and I liked the human resources staff. Sometimes things were tough because my locations could get very busy and the large line ups of customers could get daunting. but it made the days go by quickly.
Pros
the people
Cons
sometimes my hours were lowered without warning
One big happy family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 June 2016
Every Money Mart is connected, and we have to contact each other's stores and work through problems with each other. Therefore, Money Mart employees are like a family. It can be nice to work in that environment where you feel supported and like you are a part of the team. You deal with large amounts of money on a daily basis and complete transactions for customers such as cheque cashing, money orders, money transfers, etc. It can be a very rewarding place to work as the company offers bonuses and incentives to its employees.
Pros
Company parties
Cons
Long hours, working alone, some other employees are careless
Safe and Secure
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
I love my job, I go to work and help people all day, when their in financial distress, we help to get them back on their feet, we help customers with all different kinds of culture.
Being with Money Mart has taught me how to handle my own money, as well as how to help my customers with their money.
They have taught me how to find and counter fraudulent activity.
The hardest part about my job is that I am overnight's. Overnight faces all kinds of challenges; the biggest challenge that I face a lot would be not being able to help customer 100% because of the time.
Pros
Working with diverse co-workers
Cons
This is a horrible company to work for. They don't take care of their employees and the management sucks. Never again will I work for these people.
Former CSR (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 December 2015
Constant double shifts without being able to step out. The management was horrible. Payroll couldn't apply raises and benefits on time. They do not look out for their employees.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Fast and Friendly Customer service environtment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 September 2015
Fast space environment with friendly staffs and management. A very challenging job that will personally make you grow on retail banking field. I have enjoyed helping variety of customer with many different banking services as per their needs. We have a very friendly team and we work together to reach our goals and achieve targets. I have improved my problem solving skills during my journey as a customer service representative at Money Mart. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different clients each and every day and understanding their needs and full fill them with job satisfaction.
Pros
Working environment and freedom
Cons
Low salary
fun
Customer Service Rep/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
In 2014, Grand & Toy conducted a survey of key stakeholders in order to establish which sustainability issues were most important to them. Each respondent was asked to pick five aspects they considered to be the most relevant.
We received over 600 responses from our associates, customers and vendors. Based on this feedback, we were able to identify our top corporate citizenship priorities.
Pros
Knowlege
Cons
At times the work became repetitive and colleague were mostly localized in Ottawa
Productive, fun, and lots to learn
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB9 March 2016
Everyday is a challenge since you are dealing with the customers in all walks of life and with different culture but at the end of the day you learned a lot from all of them aside from what you encounter everyday. There are lots of cases that you need to lengthen your patience in order to accommodate base on their needs. As much as possible you have to work with the customers professionally aside from dealing with your staff. Being a Manager takes a lot of responsibility and it is a challenge and a learning experience at the same time to boost your career. The hardest part is hiring the right person but it is fun meeting a lot of people.
Pros
Safety and Security
Cons
Average
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 June 2016
Working at National Money Mart helped gain experience in Customer Service Representative, dealing with different type of customers and understanding their needs. Management in this company are really professional and friendly, they make you feel like home. I learned how to issue loans, do taxes, make collection calls, send money abroad, foreign exchange, etc. It it a great place to work at because it opens the way to different opportunities in life.
High stress, not what was promised
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
I was hired virtually on the spot at a high wage after one interview with a district manager - should have been flag number one - as a manager trainee to have my own store. I was told I'd be trained for 8 to 12 weeks or so (can't recall exactly, but several weeks in any case) and then placed in my own store. I did receive very hands-on and thorough training (in most areas, but not all), and quickly found out that it wasn't just "people who need some cash to pay bills" as the DM stated in my interview - the clientele, often, seemed (or were!) very shifty.

After some weeks of training, I was parachuted into my own store. Unprepared. Insufficiently trained. Not asked if I was ready to take it on, just "ok, you're starting in your own store next week" type of thing - huh!?

Working alone from 8 something AM to 5 PM and the occasional weekend was terrible. If it was busy, I had no time to eat lunch in peace. If something came up, I had to call another store for support because there was nobody there to back me up, leaving the customer at the window wondering what the heck was taking so long, leading to their becoming irritated.

Handling such high amounts of cash and worrying about every single cheque being presented being fraudulent or the potential for fraud, and having to call clients who owed money was incredibly stressful. As well, closing up at night, having to balance all the money taken in, and having to do so on a deadline, just lead to panic on my part.

Some people may thrive in such a demanding environment but I certainly did not. The bottom line: if you want
  more... stress, if you want to worry about counterfeit cash, phony cheques, and people doing suspicious Western Union transactions, and no time for breaks if you are working alone: this is the place to work. I couldn't even finish my two weeks' notice. I just had to get out. My tenure there? About 7 weeks.  less
Pros
High starting salary, nice colleagues
Cons
Everything else
Great work place with friendly workers
Easy Tax Rep (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 November 2016
Through the time working with Money Mart I found that all my fellow conworkers were very informative and rather helpful when there we questions I had, especially during my training period.
Pros
Friendly co-works, Flexible
Cons
Not always garaunteed 40 hrs per week
Great learning experience.
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 November 2016
Money Mart provides a number of financial products and services primarily consisting of cheque cashing, money orders,money transfers, pay day loans and bill payments.
Pros
Worked with amazing people.
Cons
Late nights on a scary street..
Excellent Job field
Financial Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 October 2016
Job field is excellent as employees gain a lot of financial experience as well as perfect customer service experience. The company ensures maximum security for the employees.
(you are in-charge of your own success)
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2016
challenging in terms of selling.
molded my selling ability,
learned to managed my time.
I enjoyed working with clients as sales is a part of me.

(you are in-charge of your own success)
Pros
(all) everything is opportunity
fast paced
Customer Service Representatives (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 September 2016
Money mart is a company that strives to train from within, always giving the opportunity to grow and learn. there is always something new to try and do, never the same day.

2.8