National Money Mart Employee Reviews

Amazing work environment
Corporate Staff (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 19, 2016
Great team of people compromised with excellence
Aswesome corporate job environment
Very approachable organization
I had an amazing boss and co-workers
Pros
Trust, Professionalism, Work environment, Oportunities, Co-workers
Cons
Salary
Brutal
Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
They were not understanding when days are needed off. I was laid off due to cut backs yet no stores were closed for a year. They told me one wage at the interview, then when I met with the location manager, he tried undercutting my wage by a dollar an hour which would have made my hourly wage around minimum at the time.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Long Hours, terrible management at every level, required to work when they want and what location they designate you for the shift
Very poor managment and worse upper managment
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 8, 2016
I was with the company for a while and if u don't kiss butt then u won't go far with this company. If u do your job well it's not enough. Long hours with no relief or breaks. No direct contact with a person from human resources when needed. The dm is a joke who promises the world and then says she never said it. Great place to learn about money. But you work alone 99% of the time. Super high turn over rate. I don't recommend this place.
Pros
Lots to learn and meeting new people daily
Cons
Long hours and very poor managment
Good communication.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Positive work environment.Friendly staff providing excellent customer service to clients.Great communication between head office and the front line.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Scheduling
One big happy family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 9, 2016
Every Money Mart is connected, and we have to contact each other's stores and work through problems with each other. Therefore, Money Mart employees are like a family. It can be nice to work in that environment where you feel supported and like you are a part of the team. You deal with large amounts of money on a daily basis and complete transactions for customers such as cheque cashing, money orders, money transfers, etc. It can be a very rewarding place to work as the company offers bonuses and incentives to its employees.
Pros
Company parties
Cons
Long hours, working alone, some other employees are careless
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
Working at National Money Mart helped gain experience in Customer Service Representative, dealing with different type of customers and understanding their needs. Management in this company are really professional and friendly, they make you feel like home. I learned how to issue loans, do taxes, make collection calls, send money abroad, foreign exchange, etc. It it a great place to work at because it opens the way to different opportunities in life.
Good team work, nice people
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 23, 2016
Very good team work and study opportunity
challenging accounting issues and fast pace daily work
nice people and beautiful working place
Pros
nice people
Cons
busy month end
Fun team enviroment
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
I worked for National Money Mart for 26 years and during those years I learned how build a successful business, through effective sales technics, Marketing and team management. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to hire, train and work with many incredible people. Unfortunately when the company had to cut cost, those of us that had been there the longest and help make National Money Mart the world wide corporation it is today, were the first to loose our jobs. However I do have to thank them for the knowledge, training and skills they allowed me to develop during my years with them.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
productive work place.Good to work with colleagues and management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 2, 2016
Good place to work and learn.Great management and very understanding staff.Always willing to help in anyway possible.The downside is the pay cheque is not that good.
Pros
overtime always available
Cons
unrealistic closing times
Safe and Secure
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
I love my job, I go to work and help people all day, when their in financial distress, we help to get them back on their feet, we help customers with all different kinds of culture.
Being with Money Mart has taught me how to handle my own money, as well as how to help my customers with their money.
They have taught me how to find and counter fraudulent activity.
The hardest part about my job is that I am overnight's. Overnight faces all kinds of challenges; the biggest challenge that I face a lot would be not being able to help customer 100% because of the time.
Pros
Working with diverse co-workers
Cons
Helping people with thier needs makes me believe that I am good on Customer Service.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 13, 2016
Very fast envronment that can give me a lot of rooms to improve. Can deal with different types of people as well as thier personality.It is my pleasure to help them with open hand without hesitation as they are relying and depending to us.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
long hrs
High stress, not what was promised
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
I was hired virtually on the spot at a high wage after one interview with a district manager - should have been flag number one - as a manager trainee to have my own store. I was told I'd be trained for 8 to 12 weeks or so (can't recall exactly, but several weeks in any case) and then placed in my own store. I did receive very hands-on and thorough training (in most areas, but not all), and quickly found out that it wasn't just "people who need some cash to pay bills" as the DM stated in my interview - the clientele, often, seemed (or were!) very shifty.

After some weeks of training, I was parachuted into my own store. Unprepared. Insufficiently trained. Not asked if I was ready to take it on, just "ok, you're starting in your own store next week" type of thing - huh!?

Working alone from 8 something AM to 5 PM and the occasional weekend was terrible. If it was busy, I had no time to eat lunch in peace. If something came up, I had to call another store for support because there was nobody there to back me up, leaving the customer at the window wondering what the heck was taking so long, leading to their becoming irritated.

Handling such high amounts of cash and worrying about every single cheque being presented being fraudulent or the potential for fraud, and having to call clients who owed money was incredibly stressful. As well, closing up at night, having to balance all the money taken in, and having to do so on a deadline, just lead to panic on my part.

Some people may thrive in such a demanding environment but I certainly did not. The bottom line: if you want
  more... stress, if you want to worry about counterfeit cash, phony cheques, and people doing suspicious Western Union transactions, and no time for breaks if you are working alone: this is the place to work. I couldn't even finish my two weeks' notice. I just had to get out. My tenure there? About 7 weeks.  less
Pros
High starting salary, nice colleagues
Cons
Everything else
Productive, fun, and lots to learn
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, ABMarch 9, 2016
Everyday is a challenge since you are dealing with the customers in all walks of life and with different culture but at the end of the day you learned a lot from all of them aside from what you encounter everyday. There are lots of cases that you need to lengthen your patience in order to accommodate base on their needs. As much as possible you have to work with the customers professionally aside from dealing with your staff. Being a Manager takes a lot of responsibility and it is a challenge and a learning experience at the same time to boost your career. The hardest part is hiring the right person but it is fun meeting a lot of people.
Pros
Safety and Security
Cons
Average
Strong Company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 29, 2016
Unfortunately under the new leadership as of last year the internal workings of the company are falling apart. November 2014 money mart stores were provided with a new computer point of sale that was broken and caused more problems than it ever helped. After 14 months with no improvement in its operation I could no longer take the greed driven culture money mart has become. its no longer about helping people. its all about the greed.
Pros
safe, warm, dry environment.
Cons
conflicting communication from upper level managment. broken tools with witch to do our tasks.
Fun enviroment to work in with room to grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
A new or existing customer walks in and gives you a reason to smile as you provide him/her with the best service experience. I learnt that no matter the situation remain positive and you will get a positive outcome. Management can get a bit crazy at times but for the most part , you work as a family just as long as your easy to get along with and passionate about helping other .
Underpaid, Overworked, No upward Growth
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABFebruary 17, 2016
I have been with National Money Mart for 6 months next week. I have never worked for a company with such terrible treatment of its employees, they expect you to work ridiculous hours, and they pay the worst in the industry, the boast a great benefit plan but it costs you more out of pocket than its worth..
Most days you work alone with no co-workers, You can't leave the store for any reason, and getting to take a sick day is like pulling teeth even if you have a doctors note. I get called in early on a frequent basis by management to help cover for them, only to find out they lied to me and just wanted to go home, they expect unreasonable results in all aspects of the job, and everyone of the people i have met since begining this job have burned out and quit after 6 months because of how they pay and treat their employees.
Wouldn't ever recommend this job even for my worst enemy.
Pros
Always Meeting new people
Cons
Terrible environment and even worse pay
Providing exceptional customer service
Part-time customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Company is a good one to work for. I am able to deal with several situations that come about in a quick and effective manner.
Fun place, nicest colleagues
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Good place to start, they have the best training program and once you are ready to work alone you are expected to work for real, sell and collect. Generate revenue.
Some times the customers are annoying and you are expected not to react.
Pros
Nicest colleagues, Good training, Fast paced
Cons
Paid less and gets really busy and messy on busy days.
Challenging Rewarding workplace
Branch Manager, District Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Scheduling
Sales focused environment
Set goals, daily, weekly, monthly for employees
Managed a great team
Local area marketing
Training and Development of Staff
This is a horrible company to work for. They don't take care of their employees and the management sucks. Never again will I work for these people.
Former CSR (Former Employee) –  OntarioDecember 20, 2015
Constant double shifts without being able to step out. The management was horrible. Payroll couldn't apply raises and benefits on time. They do not look out for their employees.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.

2.7