National Hockey League Employee Reviews

New, exciting internship
All-Star Celebration Events Operation Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2015
Great experience interning for the events department at the NHL All Star game. Given lots of responsibility by very informative, hard working events team.
more then just a job
Director, NHL.com Video Programming & Production (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
The National Hockey League is filled with talented and creative people. People who push each other to be great. They dont only push you to reach your potential they push you to surpass it. NHL pushes the envelope as far as digital media goes. They are a company that is always 2 steps ahead of other sports franchises and it shows in their digital products.
Fun Place to work and get Experience
Coordinator of Social Media Marketing (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 18, 2015
This is one of the most fun places to work, especially for athletes. The experiences that I have gotten to see are ones that I will never forget. I have learned how to be a part of a team, manage myself, learn to communicate with many different types of people, seen how content is create from beginning to end, witnessed how the back ground of a broad cast works.
Great people to work with, Management however needs improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
I have worked here for several years and I enjoy working with my co-workers, they are a great bunch of people and I have learned an tremendous amount of knowledge from them. One serious and substantial issue for me is the overall management of the League, anyone who is promoted is given a staff however they are not equipped to manage a staff. They lack the tools necessary to be effective managers and know how to deal with employee issues. It not just the newly promoted overall the top management who have been in the League for 20+ years are horrible managers so I can understand why these newly promoted managers have poor skills, they follow by example from the top. There is major favoritism and if you are not a "favorite" you will never be acknowledged or given a chance to prove yourself. I have senior management in charge of departments who walk by their staff and say nothing to them all day. I find this to be insulting, the staff works extremely to do their jobs however this absolutely hard with the poor guidance, poor communication, and just horrible attitudes you would think that these were inexperienced managers who just started their career not SEVP's & EVP's who have been there for years. Honestly I used to enjoy coming in to work everyday but with the extremely low salary increases, the laughable bonuses, and the overall poor management skills my morale has diminished.
Pros
Great people, & benefits
Cons
Management needs employee training, and management training in order to manage staff
Great Place with Great People
Seasonal Employee - Consumer Products Licensing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2014
Handled all Outdoor Game Reconciliation
Worked with various departments regarding game outfitting
Managed Hot Market Items (Outdoor games, Playoff Chase, and Stanley Cup Finals)

I was given self-disciplined work, managed multiple responsibilities, and adapted to a quick-paced organization

worked with very helpful co-workers

Hardest Part of Job: Responsible for distribution and payment of multiple invoices for outdoor hockey events

Most Enjoyable Part: The freedom to be given multiple tasks and get them done the way I find most efficient. Also, I enjoyed the opportunity to communicate with various departments of the NHL and be in contact with various licensees on a daily basis.
Pros
attend multiple hockey games and work in yankee stadium for a few weeks.
Cons
lack of job opportunities
Amazing work evnirnoment
Partnership Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2014
Able to learn from some of the best in the business. Very professional and has a sports environment of working hard and playing hard.
Pros
the nhl
Cons
only an internship
Miserable workplace that pays well
Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2013
Ill-equipped, unexperienced management across many departments, but especially in the network and production division. Boys club that hires friends for positions they are completely unqualified for.
Fun environment working in a sports league.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2012
On a daily basis maintained royalty statement spreadsheets, reconciled royalty statement spreadsheets to data entered into royalty reporting systems for Canadian and international licensees of NHL merchandise.
Learned all aspects of royalting accounting.
Worked within a team of five people who spent alot of time together after work.
Biggest challange was making sure foreign exchange rates properly flowed in gl.
Enjoyed dealing with the various Canadian and international licensees.
Pros
free tickets to hockey games.
Cons
no growth potential in the position

4.2