National Express Employee Reviews

was a lot of involvement nice
trainey cours and Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands28 March 2017
Had too take a test and was told if i pass i would be offed a job with the company i passed all the tests i gained my bus & coach license and was offed a job found a loot of good friends did about three months went in the office and was let go it was ok i liked what i gained from the course.
Pros
good team work and management
Cons
let go
Friendly
Ancillary Worker (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands4 March 2017
Nice place to work, work is enjoyable and the staff are friendly. They offer great opportunities so you can further you career
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Gets cold at night
Terrible company to work for
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 March 2017
Get spat on, urine thrown on you. knife attacks, vile verbal abuse, extreme stress, you are always in the wrong even when your right.
Ask yourself "why is there such a high turn around in this company?
There is no truth from the lips of the management.
All in all it is profit in the pocket of those higher up and you are the lowest of the low.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
You will be amazed, so many
Boring
PCV driver (Former Employee) –  Stansted26 February 2017
Mindless job, poor management, long hours if you are happy driving round in circles for 10 hours a day then this could be for you!!!
General public..well they do demonstrate being closely related to chimps..
Pros
Leaving
productive and confident
Customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2017
I have learnt a lot about problem solving and also more knowledge about the products and services we offer. Working with nx is fun but can be hectic when its busy.
Pros
free journeys
Cons
busy periods
Safety and customer focused
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Stansted Airport2 February 2017
My working day has always been varied and relationship management skills of high importance. There is a very good team culture where our drivers care about the customer experience and endeavour to achieve this.

Because of the focus to expand and remain a leading passenger transport company, there can be very many additional tasks to perform. While this can create problems at a local level, the benefits can be see globally.

The most enjoyable parts of the role are that it's varied, flexible and resulting outputs are clearly visible.
Pros
Brand, collective work ethic
Cons
Lack of managerial support
A Typical Week
Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Midlands20 January 2017
Monday begins with an early start to ensure the wages are correctly inputted and sent over to the Payroll department. Following this, I input the data collected over the weekend with regards to defects of the vehicles and file them away promptly.

For the rest of the week, I have a variety of tasks that I am expected to complete in a timely manner.

I have learnt to be confident in approaching people with queries and also being confident in the way I deal with situations.

The management within the garage works, with a variety of supervisors who each have their own responsibilities to ensure the smooth running of service for our customers.

The workplace culture is great for the majority of the time, but the atmosphere can change very quickly.

The hardest part of my job has been fighting to get the training I need to be able to complete my job to a satisfactory level and to be able to fulfill the role.

The best part of my job is engaging with my colleagues and building good working relationships.
Pros
Nice people, relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough support or training
Fun and Convienent workplace
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NH18 January 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the new students and the schedule is super convenient with the breaks and the time to wake up and the time to go home.
Pros
Long Breaks, Drama Free
Cons
Benefits, Unreliable
National express
Engineering Manager- 65 vehicles-10 Mechanics (Former Employee) –  nottingham10 December 2016
national are a great company who work to a very high standard and expect the same from there enployers currently getting accreditation from irtec to there mechanics
good company but can be long hours but good fun
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 December 2016
national express are a good company to work for but you must enjoy being away from home from time to time and enjoy working with the public it can be hard at times with handling oversize suitcases
Pros
good free meals at motorway services
Cons
can be long hours
one to avoid
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 November 2016
not a very nice job, poor management and lot's of trouble off passengers. co workers back stab and nothing to enjoy regards the job. i now know how it feels just to be classed as a number
Pros
Cons
just a number
Strict policy's good company to work for though
Driver (Current Employee) –  London20 November 2016
They have a few strict policy's however they are a good company to work for and are very helpful if you need any advice or anything

Good staff all around and cheerful nice coach station n great drivers to meet
Terrible company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 November 2016
To understand this company, ask why there is such a high turnover.
What I have said needs no more clarification then that.
Pros
Cons
Treated like a child
A Great Place to Work If You Can Keep Up With the Pace
Talent Acquistion (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL21 October 2016
National Express is a great company to work for, but it is a very fast pace environment. It's a great mix of individual and team work. They have monthly employee appreciation events and every Friday is casual. Its nice to work for a company that not only takes care of its employees but gives back. There are several fundraisers every year for different causes and charities.

Management has been wonderful and supportive in my experience. My supervisor and others that I have observed genuinely care about your ideas. I haven't experienced any micromanagement here.

There is plenty of room for growth within this company if you put in the hard work and make your desire for growth known. It takes time to move up.

The best part of this job is the culture within the office. Everyone is friendly and if you have a question or need help there's always someone willing to lend a hand.

The only reason I didn't rate this company at 5 stars is because it can be slow to advance in your position and the cost of benefits is a little on the high side.
Pros
Culture, Advancement Potential, Supportive Management
Cons
Can be difficult to keep up with the pace
work ex
Birmingham Coach Station (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 September 2016
work experience, beautiful hotel but that's all I can say really, good location and glad I enjoyed it.

would have enjoyed working at the hotel but job security wasn't the best from what ive herd
challenging, but rewarding work place
Customer Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton Airport8 September 2016
The working day at National Express is normally evenly divided into two sections, the first is outside selling tickets for the service to London. There is also a period which is spent on a desk selling tickets for other cross country services.

The most enjoyable aspect of this role was the opportunity to meet new people. Another good element was the colleagues who were great people.

In this job I learnt to better communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds, both as colleagues and customers.

The hardest aspect of this job was having to enforce rules created by a management out of touch with the requirements of the job role.
Pros
meeting new people, free travel
Cons
anti social working hours, changes to job role
National Express
CSA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham23 August 2016
There are no normal days in National Express as anything can happen,i,e motorway closure,breakdown en route,stranded passengers and so on,anything can happen here and this certainly keeps me on my toes.

what I have learned here is invaluable,the main attribute I have gained is to remain calm and logical in difficult stations.

The management is 50/50 there are some great managers that will assist me in a heartbeat and on the flip side there are some
"lazy work avoiding managers".

The colleagues that I have I consider most of them my friends as National Express has a good habit of employing great people.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers who don't listen to reasoning regardless how you explain it to them.Some passengers seek compensation for incidents beyond our control which they are not entitled to,when denied they can become very aggressive and irate.It is important to remain calm and professional under these situations.

It is also very rewarding especially when I personally assist vulnerable/stranded passengers get to their location,I get a good feeling knowing I have helped a fellow human being.

The best part of the jobs is working with my colleagues,as I have made many friends here.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Making leaders
Country Manager (Former Employee) –  Kuwait10 August 2016
National Express is part of Posta Plus group.
It has the best management which give complete chance to someone who have good ideas, skills and confidence to see things doable.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Bonuses
Fun work place with great management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL6 July 2016
Great environment and fun activities planned by upper management for all employees monthly. Very open and friendly and everybody is always laughing and having fun while working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Low Compensation
too much shift work
pcv bus driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 June 2016
none,the number of years are worked are not paid.good fellow workers,members of staff are cooperative,good managers,listen to your problems.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Express. Our community is ready to answer.