National Express Employee Reviews

challenging, but rewarding work place
Customer Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton AirportSeptember 8, 2016
The working day at National Express is normally evenly divided into two sections, the first is outside selling tickets for the service to London. There is also a period which is spent on a desk selling tickets for other cross country services.

The most enjoyable aspect of this role was the opportunity to meet new people. Another good element was the colleagues who were great people.

In this job I learnt to better communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds, both as colleagues and customers.

The hardest aspect of this job was having to enforce rules created by a management out of touch with the requirements of the job role.
Pros
meeting new people, free travel
Cons
anti social working hours, changes to job role
fair but firm ethos environment
OPERATIONS TEAM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  WalsallMay 25, 2016
various aspects at work reference to covering work, liaising with work personal, management.

Dealing with incidents, accidents and making sure everything is in accordance with health and safety.

Making sure that management are always aware of any issues that
are going on at that time.

colleagues are good and enjoyable to work with and are hard working.

It is hard at times to cover duties that are open as this is a public transport company with the public in mind so cannot have work open.
Enjoy working with good colleagues and meeting people and looking after so many drivers and their needs.
Pros
Cons
unsocial hours
avoid avoid avoid - they are worst company ever!
Ex bus driver (Former Employee) –  West MidlandsApril 15, 2016
split shifts, no weekends off, no choice over holidays. Have a bullish approach to bus drivers and treat them like sh@t. They do not care for the employees, treat with no respect and have procedures and policies that are not followed. They keep putting drivers on warning for stupid thing like not wearing correct footwear. You do not get paid sick pay for first few days. Have to work bank holidays and don't get paid overtime. Management is corrupt all the way through to directors. Not a nice place to work especially if you have children, family and a life.
Pros
Cons
worst company ever
Marketing
Head of Marketing Communications (Current Employee) –  DigbethApril 23, 2016
No two days ever the same. Don't recall a single day I stared at the clock during my time here.

Lots of management changes over the years have offered new opportunity and the brand remains really focussed on creating value for shareholders as well as customers.

There are areas for improvement, but overall it's a great company.
Excellent company to work for
Purchasing Assistant/Administrator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  GatwickMay 31, 2016
This company can not be faulted in any way at all, management was outstanding, other departments were great and lots of rapour throughout the whole building
Pros
Superb management and Rapur throughout
Cons
Moved to a location out of distance
Different from Local Bus
PCV Driver (Former Employee) –  PontypriddMarch 21, 2016
I did the job for 3 months for first 2 it was enjoyable but then the traffic and other road users started to annoy. Pay was ok I guess had a £13 a day meal allowance so on some shifts it worked out i got paid £9 an hour. Buses were decent compared to some I've driven. Co-workers were fine in one depot. Hardest part of the job was the 1pm/6pm starts where youd finish 1am/4am.
Pros
£13 a day allowance for food
Cons
Long Hours and Low Pay
Fun work place with great management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILJuly 6, 2016
Great environment and fun activities planned by upper management for all employees monthly. Very open and friendly and everybody is always laughing and having fun while working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Low Compensation
Making leaders
Country Manager (Former Employee) –  KuwaitAugust 10, 2016
National Express is part of Posta Plus group.
It has the best management which give complete chance to someone who have good ideas, skills and confidence to see things doable.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Bonuses
A very stressful job without own social life.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  BirminghamFebruary 7, 2016
If you have a family this job will reduce your time with children to a minimum. Last 5 years of my job i never had a holidays in the July/August. I had one weekend for my children in two months !
No balance ! I started my job in every day in different time and finished as well. Many shifts are two parts with long brakes without payment. No extra payment for work on Sat ,Sun or holiday.
Risk of healthy problem. Old buses with twisted and not comfortable driver's seats in some garages.
Positive-
An uniform,training provided and experience.
Pros
Free uniform and training
Cons
Most of Saturdays at work. Many ours without payments- breaks between 1and 2 part of duty.
Working progress
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENGFebruary 2, 2016
Turn up clock in, update coach load information and go out unto the street and sell tickets and dispense information to passengers and potential customers.

I learnt that having the ability to speak more than one language is an absolute Godsend.

Management is about being objective.

A fair and honest team is a good team.

Working through freezing and wet weather and high pollution environments coupled with online overbooking of available coach seats was definitely the hardest part of the job.

Meeting nice people and striking up new friendships.
Pros
Free coach travel
Cons
Working for many hours on the trot in polluted conditions on the roadside.
No day is the same
Driver (Current Employee) –  BirminghamJanuary 26, 2016
The job is very intense mentally and the shifts are a different time every day.
The roll of a driver has to have very calm and professional as some customers are challenging at times.
How ever you are on the open road and every day is a different day.
The things learned from this job is punctuality and self diserpline.
While driving you have to keep check on your running times of the journey.
The safety of the public comes first.
a pleasant job in summer time .
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
un social hours
Srict Regimented
Busdriver (Current Employee) –  StanstedJune 8, 2016
The company could have more relaxed management attitude to the workforce, and pay some sort of sickness benefits and inter company interests
Pros
work close to home
Cons
very long hours
too much shift work
pcv bus driver (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJune 21, 2016
none,the number of years are worked are not paid.good fellow workers,members of staff are cooperative,good managers,listen to your problems.
fun place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Luton AirportMay 3, 2016
always a busy day and many challenges.
co workers were great
hard part is working in the rain and cold
always having fun with the customers
Pros
lots of experience gained
Cons
unsuitable working conditions
National express is a profesionally ran company, that prides it self on the safty and well being of its employees and passengers.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work is showing up to the bus yard about 15 minutes early, I check in with the supervisor on duty, then i pretrip the bus i will be driving, I drive to my starting point then begin my rout, its a fixed rout so it usually goes pretty smooth every day, at the end of my shift I bring the bus back to the yard and do a post trip, I give my bus over to the bus washers and turn my paper work in for the day.
Productive Work Enviornment.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Wonderful management staff that supports employees to the up most. Excellent company to work for, staff and management strive to make working here a positive experience. The reason for obtaining new employment is due to lack of pay increase.
good job long hours
Shunter (Current Employee) –  Bishops Stortford, ENGNovember 29, 2015
Working nights for 12 hour shifts.
I have learned how to fuel coaches.
Management isn't about during night shifts only my supervisor who checks up now and again.
My colleagues are great. If you need help or advice they are there to ask. As am I for them.
The hardest part is staying awake for 12 hours throughout the night.
My favourite part is coming in to see my co-workers and just having a chat and a laugh whilst doing the job.
Pros
can wash your car for free
Cons
smell sticks on your clothes when you get home.
smart Coaches
coach driver, Stagecoach Chesterfield depot (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, ENGJanuary 18, 2016
But that is where it ends, It can be a fine job if you fit in with the management, training poor provided by untrained people, Uniform second hand, have to argue for fair treatment and pay..
Coaches smell of urine.
Pros
smart coaches
Cons
Long hours sometimes unpaid
Mostly positive
Field Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City CentreMarch 29, 2016
Visibility between teams which provides chance to develop a business-wide understanding of the business and also encourages internal progression.
productivity
Digbeth Coach Station (Former Employee) –  BirminghamApril 23, 2016
a busy, fun environment to work in, met and worked with amazing people and have enjoyed my time working for such a business.