National Express Employee Reviews

Customer focused
driver (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands21 June 2017
Customer focused, face to face with customers, dealing with all walks of life from able bodies to someone in a wheelchair.working to strict time table but insuring the customer comes first.
Pros
n/a
Cons
various shifts
Closest to perfect as iv ever come
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH19 June 2017
This is a bus driving position contracted through a developmental disability school board. This position has excelent hours, good coworkers, great management, and good union benefits. Though it can be difficult to deal with certain issues with passengers, it is a very rewarding job.
Pros
The people -from passengers to coworkers to management.
Cons
very rarely passengers or guardians cause issues, but is not as bad as public school if all proceedures are being followed.
Fun workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  West Midlands12 June 2017
I hve worked here for 2 years as a bus driver, great work colleagues. Always get on with them, great management and always willing to help you out when needed.
Boring and uninspiring
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 June 2017
Although my salary is quite good, In a lot of the other departments it isn't, morale among my team is low and the job is boring and the only reason i have stayed here is due to the wages but i am now actively looking for another role
Pros
Free Bus pass
Cons
Boredom
coach driver
Whittle coach and bus (Former Employee) –  digbeth1 June 2017
Great company to work for good pay and uniform was provided , it was based in digbeth and there was a excellent reward system, i was a gold driver and i was one of two who won driver of the years running
Pros
uniform provided
Cons
N/a
Good company to work for
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 May 2017
National Express are a good employer. I was given opportunities to display my capabilities which lead to me being promoted to Team Manager within 2 and half years. The management are often transparent and share changes and decisions with their staff which is not something a lot of companies will do these days. The hours were fully flexi and there was regular weekend work which is why I chose to leave the company, however, I still see it as one of the best employers I have had in 12 years of work.
Pros
Free bus pass along with a free coach pass for the UK for 2 people, cash/voucher/gift incentives
Cons
shift work, weekend work.
enjoyed meeting new people everyday.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands23 May 2017
the company overall is great, management was a let down as there was no support or good communication from them, especially when they dismiss you for something which cannot be backed up by evidence, and they assume they can take on any roll without looking up or seeking advice about actions they take against drivers.
Pros
free travel
Cons
split shifts
work practice
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands2 May 2017
management cant run the company correctly they are only concerned about there bonuses and shares in the company not the welfare of its employees as they don't think employees should have rest or family time employees should work, work and more work this is why more employees leave or get sacked then stay with the company and if an employee is ill and gives a doctors note in they still have a inspector/management visit there house checking up on them and even if they are in hospital and have to report all medication they are on to the company for checking as proof the are ill and go into work for a assessment , the working day is really long with no paid breaks paid for only 7.30 hrs when a working day can reach with non paid breaks up to 12 hrs they don't support there employees when they get abuse from customers its always the employees fault were treated like kids with no respect hardest part of this job is pleasing the bosses and waiting for you to get sacked culture of the company is that were are just numbers not employee or a member of the company unless you brown nose or bosses snitch grass
Pros
free uniform
Cons
long working hours for really bad conditions and pay with NO paid breaks
good place to work
Bus & Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Heathrow25 April 2017
very good company to work for nice people to work with friendly helpful able to change dutys everyday clean reliable buses and coaches mostly new vehicles
Pros
free staff and family travel
Cons
long hours early starts 03:00am late finishes 02:30am
Small company with big dreams
National Director, Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, IL24 April 2017
The small organization continuously tried to be better, not always succeeding. The culture was okay, a lot of negative from previous employees / structure. I hope the organization does well. Good people.
was a lot of involvement nice
trainey cours and Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands28 March 2017
Had too take a test and was told if i pass i would be offed a job with the company i passed all the tests i gained my bus & coach license and was offed a job found a loot of good friends did about three months went in the office and was let go it was ok i liked what i gained from the course.
Pros
good team work and management
Cons
let go
Good place to work, friendly staff and colleagues
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 March 2017
nice place, friendly management and staff. Although very filthy place to work. work stations look like they have not been cleaned in years. Job itself is easy once you get to know the systems. very busy during Christmas period
Pros
easy job, friendly atmosphere
Cons
not very clean
Friendly
Ancillary Worker (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands4 March 2017
Nice place to work, work is enjoyable and the staff are friendly. They offer great opportunities so you can further you career
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Gets cold at night
Terrible company to work for
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 March 2017
Get spat on, urine thrown on you. knife attacks, vile verbal abuse, extreme stress, you are always in the wrong even when your right.
Ask yourself "why is there such a high turn around in this company?
There is no truth from the lips of the management.
All in all it is profit in the pocket of those higher up and you are the lowest of the low.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
You will be amazed, so many
Boring
PCV driver (Former Employee) –  Stansted26 February 2017
Mindless job, poor management, long hours if you are happy driving round in circles for 10 hours a day then this could be for you!!!
General public..well they do demonstrate being closely related to chimps..
Pros
Leaving
productive and confident
Customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2017
I have learnt a lot about problem solving and also more knowledge about the products and services we offer. Working with nx is fun but can be hectic when its busy.
Pros
free journeys
Cons
busy periods
Safety and customer focused
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Stansted Airport2 February 2017
My working day has always been varied and relationship management skills of high importance. There is a very good team culture where our drivers care about the customer experience and endeavour to achieve this.

Because of the focus to expand and remain a leading passenger transport company, there can be very many additional tasks to perform. While this can create problems at a local level, the benefits can be see globally.

The most enjoyable parts of the role are that it's varied, flexible and resulting outputs are clearly visible.
Pros
Brand, collective work ethic
Cons
Lack of managerial support
A Typical Week
Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Midlands20 January 2017
Monday begins with an early start to ensure the wages are correctly inputted and sent over to the Payroll department. Following this, I input the data collected over the weekend with regards to defects of the vehicles and file them away promptly.

For the rest of the week, I have a variety of tasks that I am expected to complete in a timely manner.

I have learnt to be confident in approaching people with queries and also being confident in the way I deal with situations.

The management within the garage works, with a variety of supervisors who each have their own responsibilities to ensure the smooth running of service for our customers.

The workplace culture is great for the majority of the time, but the atmosphere can change very quickly.

The hardest part of my job has been fighting to get the training I need to be able to complete my job to a satisfactory level and to be able to fulfill the role.

The best part of my job is engaging with my colleagues and building good working relationships.
Pros
Nice people, relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough support or training
Fun and Convienent workplace
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NH18 January 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the new students and the schedule is super convenient with the breaks and the time to wake up and the time to go home.
Pros
Long Breaks, Drama Free
Cons
Benefits, Unreliable
National express
Engineering Manager- 65 vehicles-10 Mechanics (Former Employee) –  nottingham10 December 2016
national are a great company who work to a very high standard and expect the same from there enployers currently getting accreditation from irtec to there mechanics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Express. Our community is ready to answer.