National Express Employee Reviews

good company but can be long hours but good fun
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 December 2016
national express are a good company to work for but you must enjoy being away from home from time to time and enjoy working with the public it can be hard at times with handling oversize suitcases
Pros
good free meals at motorway services
Cons
can be long hours
one to avoid
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 November 2016
not a very nice job, poor management and lot's of trouble off passengers. co workers back stab and nothing to enjoy regards the job. i now know how it feels just to be classed as a number
Pros
Cons
just a number
Terrible company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 November 2016
To understand this company, ask why there is such a high turnover.
What I have said needs no more clarification then that.
Pros
Cons
Treated like a child
A Great Place to Work If You Can Keep Up With the Pace
Talent Acquistion (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL21 October 2016
National Express is a great company to work for, but it is a very fast pace environment. It's a great mix of individual and team work. They have monthly employee appreciation events and every Friday is casual. Its nice to work for a company that not only takes care of its employees but gives back. There are several fundraisers every year for different causes and charities.

Management has been wonderful and supportive in my experience. My supervisor and others that I have observed genuinely care about your ideas. I haven't experienced any micromanagement here.

There is plenty of room for growth within this company if you put in the hard work and make your desire for growth known. It takes time to move up.

The best part of this job is the culture within the office. Everyone is friendly and if you have a question or need help there's always someone willing to lend a hand.

The only reason I didn't rate this company at 5 stars is because it can be slow to advance in your position and the cost of benefits is a little on the high side.
Pros
Culture, Advancement Potential, Supportive Management
Cons
Can be difficult to keep up with the pace
work ex
Birmingham Coach Station (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 September 2016
work experience, beautiful hotel but that's all I can say really, good location and glad I enjoyed it.

would have enjoyed working at the hotel but job security wasn't the best from what ive herd
challenging, but rewarding work place
Customer Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton Airport8 September 2016
The working day at National Express is normally evenly divided into two sections, the first is outside selling tickets for the service to London. There is also a period which is spent on a desk selling tickets for other cross country services.

The most enjoyable aspect of this role was the opportunity to meet new people. Another good element was the colleagues who were great people.

In this job I learnt to better communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds, both as colleagues and customers.

The hardest aspect of this job was having to enforce rules created by a management out of touch with the requirements of the job role.
Pros
meeting new people, free travel
Cons
anti social working hours, changes to job role
National Express
CSA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham23 August 2016
There are no normal days in National Express as anything can happen,i,e motorway closure,breakdown en route,stranded passengers and so on,anything can happen here and this certainly keeps me on my toes.

what I have learned here is invaluable,the main attribute I have gained is to remain calm and logical in difficult stations.

The management is 50/50 there are some great managers that will assist me in a heartbeat and on the flip side there are some
"lazy work avoiding managers".

The colleagues that I have I consider most of them my friends as National Express has a good habit of employing great people.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers who don't listen to reasoning regardless how you explain it to them.Some passengers seek compensation for incidents beyond our control which they are not entitled to,when denied they can become very aggressive and irate.It is important to remain calm and professional under these situations.

It is also very rewarding especially when I personally assist vulnerable/stranded passengers get to their location,I get a good feeling knowing I have helped a fellow human being.

The best part of the jobs is working with my colleagues,as I have made many friends here.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Making leaders
Country Manager (Former Employee) –  Kuwait10 August 2016
National Express is part of Posta Plus group.
It has the best management which give complete chance to someone who have good ideas, skills and confidence to see things doable.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Bonuses
Fun work place with great management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL6 July 2016
Great environment and fun activities planned by upper management for all employees monthly. Very open and friendly and everybody is always laughing and having fun while working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Low Compensation
too much shift work
pcv bus driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 June 2016
none,the number of years are worked are not paid.good fellow workers,members of staff are cooperative,good managers,listen to your problems.
Srict Regimented
Busdriver (Current Employee) –  Stansted8 June 2016
The company could have more relaxed management attitude to the workforce, and pay some sort of sickness benefits and inter company interests
Pros
work close to home
Cons
very long hours
Excellent company to work for
Purchasing Assistant/Administrator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Gatwick31 May 2016
This company can not be faulted in any way at all, management was outstanding, other departments were great and lots of rapour throughout the whole building
Pros
Superb management and Rapur throughout
Cons
Moved to a location out of distance
fair but firm ethos environment
OPERATIONS TEAM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Walsall25 May 2016
various aspects at work reference to covering work, liaising with work personal, management.

Dealing with incidents, accidents and making sure everything is in accordance with health and safety.

Making sure that management are always aware of any issues that
are going on at that time.

colleagues are good and enjoyable to work with and are hard working.

It is hard at times to cover duties that are open as this is a public transport company with the public in mind so cannot have work open.
Enjoy working with good colleagues and meeting people and looking after so many drivers and their needs.
Pros
Cons
unsocial hours
fun place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Luton Airport3 May 2016
always a busy day and many challenges.
co workers were great
hard part is working in the rain and cold
always having fun with the customers
Pros
lots of experience gained
Cons
unsuitable working conditions
productivity
Digbeth Coach Station (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 April 2016
a busy, fun environment to work in, met and worked with amazing people and have enjoyed my time working for such a business.
Marketing
Head of Marketing Communications (Current Employee) –  Digbeth23 April 2016
No two days ever the same. Don't recall a single day I stared at the clock during my time here.

Lots of management changes over the years have offered new opportunity and the brand remains really focussed on creating value for shareholders as well as customers.

There are areas for improvement, but overall it's a great company.
avoid avoid avoid - they are worst company ever!
Ex bus driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands15 April 2016
split shifts, no weekends off, no choice over holidays. Have a bullish approach to bus drivers and treat them like sh@t. They do not care for the employees, treat with no respect and have procedures and policies that are not followed. They keep putting drivers on warning for stupid thing like not wearing correct footwear. You do not get paid sick pay for first few days. Have to work bank holidays and don't get paid overtime. Management is corrupt all the way through to directors. Not a nice place to work especially if you have children, family and a life.
Pros
Cons
worst company ever
Mostly positive
Field Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre29 March 2016
Visibility between teams which provides chance to develop a business-wide understanding of the business and also encourages internal progression.
Different from Local Bus
PCV Driver (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd21 March 2016
I did the job for 3 months for first 2 it was enjoyable but then the traffic and other road users started to annoy. Pay was ok I guess had a £13 a day meal allowance so on some shifts it worked out i got paid £9 an hour. Buses were decent compared to some I've driven. Co-workers were fine in one depot. Hardest part of the job was the 1pm/6pm starts where youd finish 1am/4am.
Pros
£13 a day allowance for food
Cons
Long Hours and Low Pay
A very stressful job without own social life.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 February 2016
If you have a family this job will reduce your time with children to a minimum. Last 5 years of my job i never had a holidays in the July/August. I had one weekend for my children in two months !
No balance ! I started my job in every day in different time and finished as well. Many shifts are two parts with long brakes without payment. No extra payment for work on Sat ,Sun or holiday.
Risk of healthy problem. Old buses with twisted and not comfortable driver's seats in some garages.
Positive-
An uniform,training provided and experience.
Pros
Free uniform and training
Cons
Most of Saturdays at work. Many ours without payments- breaks between 1and 2 part of duty.