National Express

National Express Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work If You Can Keep Up With the Pace
Talent Acquistion (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL21 October 2016
National Express is a great company to work for, but it is a very fast pace environment. It's a great mix of individual and team work. They have monthly employee appreciation events and every Friday is casual. Its nice to work for a company that not only takes care of its employees but gives back. There are several fundraisers every year for different causes and charities.

Management has been wonderful and supportive in my experience. My supervisor and others that I have observed genuinely care about your ideas. I haven't experienced any micromanagement here.

There is plenty of room for growth within this company if you put in the hard work and make your desire for growth known. It takes time to move up.

The best part of this job is the culture within the office. Everyone is friendly and if you have a question or need help there's always someone willing to lend a hand.

The only reason I didn't rate this company at 5 stars is because it can be slow to advance in your position and the cost of benefits is a little on the high side.
Pros
Culture, Advancement Potential, Supportive Management
Cons
Can be difficult to keep up with the pace
A Typical Week
Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Midlands20 January 2017
Monday begins with an early start to ensure the wages are correctly inputted and sent over to the Payroll department. Following this, I input the data collected over the weekend with regards to defects of the vehicles and file them away promptly.

For the rest of the week, I have a variety of tasks that I am expected to complete in a timely manner.

I have learnt to be confident in approaching people with queries and also being confident in the way I deal with situations.

The management within the garage works, with a variety of supervisors who each have their own responsibilities to ensure the smooth running of service for our customers.

The workplace culture is great for the majority of the time, but the atmosphere can change very quickly.

The hardest part of my job has been fighting to get the training I need to be able to complete my job to a satisfactory level and to be able to fulfill the role.

The best part of my job is engaging with my colleagues and building good working relationships.
Pros
Nice people, relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough support or training
Boring
PCV driver (Former Employee) –  Stansted26 February 2017
Mindless job, poor management, long hours if you are happy driving round in circles for 10 hours a day then this could be for you!!!
General public..well they do demonstrate being closely related to chimps..
Pros
Leaving
National Express
CSA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham23 August 2016
There are no normal days in National Express as anything can happen,i,e motorway closure,breakdown en route,stranded passengers and so on,anything can happen here and this certainly keeps me on my toes.

what I have learned here is invaluable,the main attribute I have gained is to remain calm and logical in difficult stations.

The management is 50/50 there are some great managers that will assist me in a heartbeat and on the flip side there are some
"lazy work avoiding managers".

The colleagues that I have I consider most of them my friends as National Express has a good habit of employing great people.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers who don't listen to reasoning regardless how you explain it to them.Some passengers seek compensation for incidents beyond our control which they are not entitled to,when denied they can become very aggressive and irate.It is important to remain calm and professional under these situations.

It is also very rewarding especially when I personally assist vulnerable/stranded passengers get to their location,I get a good feeling knowing I have helped a fellow human being.

The best part of the jobs is working with my colleagues,as I have made many friends here.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Unpredictable hours
challenging, but rewarding work place
Customer Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton Airport8 September 2016
The working day at National Express is normally evenly divided into two sections, the first is outside selling tickets for the service to London. There is also a period which is spent on a desk selling tickets for other cross country services.

The most enjoyable aspect of this role was the opportunity to meet new people. Another good element was the colleagues who were great people.

In this job I learnt to better communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds, both as colleagues and customers.

The hardest aspect of this job was having to enforce rules created by a management out of touch with the requirements of the job role.
Pros
meeting new people, free travel
Cons
anti social working hours, changes to job role
good company but can be long hours but good fun
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 December 2016
national express are a good company to work for but you must enjoy being away from home from time to time and enjoy working with the public it can be hard at times with handling oversize suitcases
Pros
good free meals at motorway services
Cons
can be long hours
Srict Regimented
Busdriver (Current Employee) –  Stansted8 June 2016
The company could have more relaxed management attitude to the workforce, and pay some sort of sickness benefits and inter company interests
Pros
work close to home
Cons
very long hours
Fun and Convienent workplace
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NH18 January 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the new students and the schedule is super convenient with the breaks and the time to wake up and the time to go home.
Pros
Long Breaks, Drama Free
Cons
Benefits, Unreliable
Fun work place with great management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL6 July 2016
Great environment and fun activities planned by upper management for all employees monthly. Very open and friendly and everybody is always laughing and having fun while working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Low Compensation
one to avoid
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 November 2016
not a very nice job, poor management and lot's of trouble off passengers. co workers back stab and nothing to enjoy regards the job. i now know how it feels just to be classed as a number
Pros
Cons
just a number
fair but firm ethos environment
OPERATIONS TEAM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Walsall25 May 2016
various aspects at work reference to covering work, liaising with work personal, management.

Dealing with incidents, accidents and making sure everything is in accordance with health and safety.

Making sure that management are always aware of any issues that
are going on at that time.

colleagues are good and enjoyable to work with and are hard working.

It is hard at times to cover duties that are open as this is a public transport company with the public in mind so cannot have work open.
Enjoy working with good colleagues and meeting people and looking after so many drivers and their needs.
Pros
Cons
unsocial hours
work ex
Birmingham Coach Station (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 September 2016
work experience, beautiful hotel but that's all I can say really, good location and glad I enjoyed it.

would have enjoyed working at the hotel but job security wasn't the best from what ive herd
Making leaders
Country Manager (Former Employee) –  Kuwait10 August 2016
National Express is part of Posta Plus group.
It has the best management which give complete chance to someone who have good ideas, skills and confidence to see things doable.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Bonuses
avoid avoid avoid - they are worst company ever!
Ex bus driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands15 April 2016
split shifts, no weekends off, no choice over holidays. Have a bullish approach to bus drivers and treat them like sh@t. They do not care for the employees, treat with no respect and have procedures and policies that are not followed. They keep putting drivers on warning for stupid thing like not wearing correct footwear. You do not get paid sick pay for first few days. Have to work bank holidays and don't get paid overtime. Management is corrupt all the way through to directors. Not a nice place to work especially if you have children, family and a life.
Pros
Cons
worst company ever
productive and confident
Customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2017
I have learnt a lot about problem solving and also more knowledge about the products and services we offer. Working with nx is fun but can be hectic when its busy.
Pros
free journeys
Cons
busy periods
Room for upward mobility
Adult Trans Monitior (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY27 November 2015
National Express is one of the world's top transportation companies. If you are willing to move and educate yourself their is room for self advancement. Socializing with the Base line management is NOT the way to do that, however.

Stay focused on what your goal is and stay in written contact with the Parent company, so they know about your advancement goal.

Be careful when working with this company. IF you are hurt on the job, they are going to make it hard for you to get compensated.

Document to communicate any safety issues you come across with this companies equipment or facility. Telling someone is not enough and you will find that people will forget or deny any conversations you had with them in regards to a safety issues.

Each market is different. In Syracuse NY, we worked with Adults with Special needs. In other locations National Express transports school aged children.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Extreamly poorly managed equimment and familities
Strict policy's good company to work for though
Driver (Current Employee) –  London20 November 2016
They have a few strict policy's however they are a good company to work for and are very helpful if you need any advice or anything

Good staff all around and cheerful nice coach station n great drivers to meet
National express
Engineering Manager- 65 vehicles-10 Mechanics (Former Employee) –  nottingham10 December 2016
national are a great company who work to a very high standard and expect the same from there enployers currently getting accreditation from irtec to there mechanics
Excellent company to work for
Purchasing Assistant/Administrator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Gatwick31 May 2016
This company can not be faulted in any way at all, management was outstanding, other departments were great and lots of rapour throughout the whole building
Pros
Superb management and Rapur throughout
Cons
Moved to a location out of distance
Marketing
Head of Marketing Communications (Current Employee) –  Digbeth23 April 2016
No two days ever the same. Don't recall a single day I stared at the clock during my time here.

Lots of management changes over the years have offered new opportunity and the brand remains really focussed on creating value for shareholders as well as customers.

There are areas for improvement, but overall it's a great company.