National Express Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Marketing
Head of Marketing Communications (Current Employee), DigbethApril 23, 2016
No two days ever the same. Don't recall a single day I stared at the clock during my time here.

Lots of management changes over the years have offered new opportunity and the brand remains really focussed on creating value for shareholders as well as customers.

There are areas for improvement, but overall it's a great company.
avoid avoid avoid - they are worst company ever!
Ex bus driver (Former Employee), West MidlandsApril 15, 2016
Pros: None
Cons: worst company ever
split shifts, no weekends off, no choice over holidays. Have a bullish approach to bus drivers and treat them like sh@t. They do not care for the employees, treat with no respect and have procedures and policies that are not followed. They keep putting drivers on warning for stupid thing like not wearing correct footwear. You do not get paid sick pay for first few days. Have to work bank holidays and don't get paid overtime. Management is corrupt all the way through to directors. Not a nice place to work especially if you have children, family and a life.
Mostly positive
Field Sales Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham City CentreMarch 29, 2016
Visibility between teams which provides chance to develop a business-wide understanding of the business and also encourages internal progression.
Different from Local Bus
PCV Driver (Former Employee), PontypriddMarch 21, 2016
Pros: £13 a day allowance for food
Cons: Long Hours and Low Pay
I did the job for 3 months for first 2 it was enjoyable but then the traffic and other road users started to annoy. Pay was ok I guess had a £13 a day meal allowance so on some shifts it worked out i got paid £9 an hour. Buses were decent compared to some I've driven. Co-workers were fine in one depot. Hardest part of the job was the 1pm/6pm starts where youd finish 1am/4am.
A very stressful job without own social life.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), BirminghamFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: Free uniform and training
Cons: Most of Saturdays at work. Many ours without payments- breaks between 1and 2 part of duty.
If you have a family this job will reduce your time with children to a minimum. Last 5 years of my job i never had a holidays in the July/August. I had one weekend for my children in two months !
No balance ! I started my job in every day in different time and finished as well. Many shifts are two parts with long brakes without payment. No extra payment for work on Sat ,Sun or holiday.
Risk of healthy problem. Old buses with twisted and not comfortable driver's seats in some garages.
Positive-
An uniform,training provided and experience.
Productive Work Enviornment.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Wonderful management staff that supports employees to the up most. Excellent company to work for, staff and management strive to make working here a positive experience. The reason for obtaining new employment is due to lack of pay increase.
Working progress
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Free coach travel
Cons: Working for many hours on the trot in polluted conditions on the roadside.
Turn up clock in, update coach load information and go out unto the street and sell tickets and dispense information to passengers and potential customers.

I learnt that having the ability to speak more than one language is an absolute Godsend.

Management is about being objective.

A fair and honest team is a good team.

Working through freezing and wet weather and high pollution environments coupled with online overbooking of available coach seats was definitely the hardest part of the job.

Meeting nice people and striking up new friendships.
No day is the same
Driver (Current Employee), BirminghamJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: free bus pass
Cons: un social hours
The job is very intense mentally and the shifts are a different time every day.
The roll of a driver has to have very calm and professional as some customers are challenging at times.
How ever you are on the open road and every day is a different day.
The things learned from this job is punctuality and self diserpline.
While driving you have to keep check on your running times of the journey.
The safety of the public comes first.
a pleasant job in summer time .
smart Coaches
coach driver, Stagecoach Chesterfield depot (Former Employee), Chesterfield, ENGJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: smart coaches
Cons: Long hours sometimes unpaid
But that is where it ends, It can be a fine job if you fit in with the management, training poor provided by untrained people, Uniform second hand, have to argue for fair treatment and pay..
Coaches smell of urine.
Day to day
Commercial Driver/BM Coaches (Current Employee), LondonJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
Day to day jobs working for national express is just like driving a red bus in london but your on the motoway, so its a little bit harder
night warehouse operative
West Midlands Travel - Bus Driver (Current Employee), West BromwichJanuary 8, 2016
driving vehicle's into the warehouse ready to be loaded with parcel's ready to go out in the morning . scanning parcels into the warehouse
National express is a profesionally ran company, that prides it self on the safty and well being of its employees and passengers.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Merced, CANovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work is showing up to the bus yard about 15 minutes early, I check in with the supervisor on duty, then i pretrip the bus i will be driving, I drive to my starting point then begin my rout, its a fixed rout so it usually goes pretty smooth every day, at the end of my shift I bring the bus back to the yard and do a post trip, I give my bus over to the bus washers and turn my paper work in for the day.
good job long hours
Shunter (Current Employee), Bishops Stortford, ENGNovember 29, 2015
Pros: can wash your car for free
Cons: smell sticks on your clothes when you get home.
Working nights for 12 hour shifts.
I have learned how to fuel coaches.
Management isn't about during night shifts only my supervisor who checks up now and again.
My colleagues are great. If you need help or advice they are there to ask. As am I for them.
The hardest part is staying awake for 12 hours throughout the night.
My favourite part is coming in to see my co-workers and just having a chat and a laugh whilst doing the job.
Room for upward mobility
Adult Trans Monitior (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYNovember 27, 2015
Pros: Weekends off
Cons: Extreamly poorly managed equimment and familities
National Express is one of the world's top transportation companies. If you are willing to move and educate yourself their is room for self advancement. Socializing with the Base line management is NOT the way to do that, however.

Stay focused on what your goal is and stay in written contact with the Parent company, so they know about your advancement goal.

Be careful when working with this company. IF you are hurt on the job, they are going to make it hard for you to get compensated.

Document to communicate any safety issues you come across with this companies equipment or facility. Telling someone is not enough and you will find that people will forget or deny any conversations you had with them in regards to a safety issues.

Each market is different. In Syracuse NY, we worked with Adults with Special needs. In other locations National Express transports school aged children.
good
Bus Driver (Former Employee), BirminghamNovember 19, 2015
inspecting buses.
reporting defects to engineers.
driving service buses.
collecting fares and issuing tickets using wayfarer.
customer service.
helping disables, wheelchair passengers on/off the bus.
providing info to customers.
Good job
Coach Driver (Current Employee), Stansted Airport/Luton AirportOctober 26, 2015
Very competitive work place. Free uniform. Guaranteed days off. Great veichle fleet. Friendly enviroment. Managers are helpful. Great places at the terminals.
Good Work place
Sales Support Advisor (Former Employee), Edgbaston, ENGOctober 25, 2015
Pros: free bus pass and travel
Cons: nothing
I liked working for National Express as it gives me experience working with customers.

I deal with travel bookings, hotel bookings, season tickets and coach cards.

I also gained experience in solving travel queries from all other National express coach stations.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Ticket Office Clerk (Former Employee), LondonOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Always pleasing to see customers satisfied.
Cons: Late shift finishes at 23:40hrs
Challenging environment but staff are well equipped to face it. My colleagues are always willing the extra mile to help customers in need.
Driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Wolverhampton, ENGOctober 12, 2015
Working as a driver
meeting new people everyday
Life skills learnt which can be used in everyday life
respecting other people and their needs
nice place to work within
Self rewarding working environment
Team Leader/Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee), Luton, ENGOctober 12, 2015
Pros: Good pay for job role.
Cons: Airport changes, unexpected issues.
National Express is a great place to work to develop new skills. Helping and supporting passengers arriving at the airport motivates me to continue through the day with a positive attitude.