National Express Employee Reviews

Non family friendly
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Dundee City8 February 2018
Worst Company I have worked for. If a future employee is willing to forego his/her life then work for this company.
If you require protection from the public and PROPER training re Law then no need to apply.
Pros
Cons
Many
Not what I expected
Driver (Current Employee) –  Coventry30 January 2018
Seen the job advertised at £400 average earnings per week! Yeah right (with overtime!). Long hours and poor pay that's unless you are an agency driver only driving 1 continuous route, in which case you can add a third of a direct employee driving (30+ routes) wage on top! Scandalous. Poor managment with no consideration for drivers wellbeing. It's a pity they do not include more happy drivers along side their more happy customers goal!. You are just a number & God forbid you should be entiltled to a social life, your phone will go off at the stupidest time of morning begging you to do overtime at standard rate of pay. No bonuses or gratitude (even at Xmas).
The drivers are the revenue but so poorly treated.
Leave within the first year it's 1000 bond
500 in the 2nd. No sick pay entitlement until after 2 years if you squire the licence through them.
Training is generally in one specific type of vehicle though once actually in the job can vary to different sizes and heights, makes and models which can be very daunting and intimidating to new drivers as not enough experience is given in these circumstances.
Liability falls solely on the driver far too much.
Poor mechanical maintenance of vehicles.

No integrity what so ever.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent managment with high turn over of drivers.
good place to work
Test Lead (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 January 2018
good place to work day to day. I enh

Experience covers the management of functional and non-functional aspects of testing on large complex projects from this encompasses; Test Driven Development, System Integration of RESTFUL APIs , System regression and UAT test phases and includes, testing of component installation/configuration, mobile device, automation and manual functional testing.
Great place to work but they are years behind when it comes to salary and work related benefits
Operations Controller (Current Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London25 January 2018
Excellent friendly place to work, would recommend if your not worried about earning a competitive salary. Excellent chances of moving up the corporate ladder if you put you mind to it.
Pros
Family friendly company
Cons
Poor salary compared to competitors
nice place to work and learn
Standard Rate Driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands8 January 2018
national express is very good place to learn and grow at the same time and is a very good place when it comes to working environment. the only concerning thing was employee turnover some of them left due to their own reasons and other were sacked by the company.
Pros
training
Cons
continously long working hours
Fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Merced, CA4 January 2018
I enjoyed very much working for National Express, i was a professional Bus driver and took my job very serious, i was driving people around and that is a lot of responsibility.
Pros
Good boss
Cons
Split shift
Poor management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands28 December 2017
Very poor management. Lack of empathy. No support when assaulted by passengers.
High turn over of staff due to poor management.
Lack of toilet facilities when on lates.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Poor management
engineering
Coach builder (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich1 December 2017
ok pay but can be bullyed by management if they take a dislike to you so if you can put up with the day to day you may be ok but take it from experience give it a miss
Pros
money
Cons
hassle25
Good job, but you'll forget what your wife looks like.
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London28 November 2017
Great job for a single person who can tolerate 12-13 hours a day away from home, or somebody who hates their wife.
Also a great job for those who love to drive around people who are seemingly incontinent? Who boards a coach and thinks:
"It's been 20 minutes. I think I'll have a poo"
The answer to that question? Most of them.
Pros
Good opportunities to make decent money
Cons
No time to spend it
Hard work, low hourly rate, difficult customers
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Chester-le-Street, Durham22 November 2017
If you don't mind working 65 hours a week and being in a different hotel every night then this is the job for you. The customers are an absolute nightmare, not a single shift where you don't get awkward customers complaining
Pros
Free lunches at service stations
Cons
Long Shifts (upto 19 hours long, low hourly rate, terrible customers)
Never again
P.C.V Driver (bus) (Current Employee) –  Heathrow15 November 2017
In the seven years I've worked for this company I've never seen a poorly managed company twice I have worked for National Express and twice they've severely let me down they have now tupe the department I'm in over.
Pros
Cons
Your just a number
fun place
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Mojave, CA9 November 2017
great place to start your driving career. Staff realy work with you and help you to stay positive. It just that build up place, giving you your wings to fly.
Not a safe career move
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Dundee City31 October 2017
Turn over is incredible. Very poor management. Not interested in the driver. The fact you have a family or a mortgage. Don't dare make a mistake you will pay the ultimate price. Alot of your colleagues will stab you in the back. Job used to be good before national express took over. Your not a person your a number
Retirement village
Pissenger dispoal unit (Current Employee) –  Stansted Carpark's16 October 2017
The job in it self is very good. There is a relaxed atmosphere at Stansted City. No time tables no cash, no loading unloading luggage, and no rushing.

Management are supportive, and the shift 's are always the same and never change, unless they change the times. for EG: if your on the 06:45 rota your'll start at 06:45 everyday.

With this in mind you can plan ect. Holidays are not on a block, and you can get into a routine.
Pros
A happy bus is a bus with no Pissengers
Cons
pay could be better
Positive work place
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 October 2017
A very good place to work. Management very understanding and works well with there staff to help arrange Home life and work life. Other staff member are willing to help and work as a team.
Pros
Free rooms
Cons
Trafcic
Far too long ago
Electrical automotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 September 2017
Did my apprenticeship there in 1990. Good training with sponsored education in the field of expertise. Long since change I suspect. unaware of the current environment.
Pros
Good facilities
Cons
Limited progression
Poor IT Department
IT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 September 2017
Salary is ok but IT department isn't run very well. Job culture is not very nice and management are always trying to find a scapegoat. There is zero progression for internal staff as they regularly hire externally, and they provide no training to help you progress.
Pros
Free Bus/Coach passes
Cons
Poor culture, no progression
I like working for NX
Driver (Current Employee) –  Stansted Airport4 September 2017
I do my job to the best of my ability, I get on with everyone. I've seen lots of changes since I started.
I don't really get involved, I just come in do my work and go home
jj
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  london30 August 2017
Bus Driver (2014 -2016) Stagecoach East Midlands
Responsible for school contract and public routes
Cash handling
Checking Transport Passes
Giving timetable or route information
Helping passengers who are having difficulty getting on or off the vehicle
Working to tight time tables
Responsible for daily cleaning and maintenance of vehicle
A typical day at work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands28 August 2017
Just turn up to work and get the job done safely and securely ensuring the passengers that board your bus get to where they need to go safely and without injury.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Express. Our community is ready to answer.