National Energy Board Employee Review

View all National Energy Board reviews

Reasonable salary, good values, but very rigid.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2013
The salary was decent, especially for lower level and corporate positions. Not quite as competitive for Engineers, etc. but it's the government. Benefits however, are excellent across the board, especially Maternity benefits. This is a GREAT place to work if you have or plan to have a family.

Being a government agency, working there is very bureaucratic and the board members are most concerned with not causing a problem(s) for the government of the day. As a result, this leads to micromanaging and a lack of freedom to make decisions/think outside of the box etc. If you are a highly creative person, you will probably go nuts working here. If you enjoy a highly structured work environment with lots of procedures and processes, you will do very well. Also as a result of this, there is lots of administrative support, which is a plus.

Most of my coworkers were friendly, but be careful as there is a higher than average amount of internal politics and jostling. Some teams are worse then others. As a result of this, and the aforementioned desire of the board to keep the government happy, a there exists a culture of "blaming," as no-one wants to be responsible for mistakes.
Pros
Reasonable salary, excellent benefits, clean and very modern office.
Cons
Rigid management, lots of internal politics, difficult to be creative.

Other National Energy Board Employee Reviews

Nice company to work with
Desktop Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I learned a lot while working in this company. My Senior colleagues were very helpful and they were there when ever I needed them.
fast paced professional regulatory
Technical Specialist / Hearing Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
Although associated with Natural resources of the Government of Canada this group worked independent of the usual government environment. based out of Calgary the position was fast paced and energizing often taking places to meet interesting people with unique problems and challenges. I enjoyed my work especially when working with the public.