National Energy Board

National Energy Board Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good team spirit
Business Unit Administrator (NEB-06) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2014
Pros: every 2nd friday off, flexible hours, good benefits
Cons: getting every 2nd friday off, it took team work with the admin staff to make this work
Typical day at work was first thing in the morning; checking for any voice mails, emails that needed direction/information. Work on incoming and outgoing of invoices which included data entering into a database system called Freebalance. I learned a lot during my time with the NEB and working in a team based environment. Co-workers were easy to deal – more... with, I would train when necessary any new updates that were required in the Unit. I kept track of 40 employee's leave entitlements on a database. Advised staff on the proper procedures in the Business unit. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of the contracts and contractors we dealt with. I had certain input and wanted to see more input as I woked closely with contractors and had more hands on experience. With time this did change and became easier once I discussed my issues with my Business Manager and Contract Services.

The most enjoyable part was working for a great Business Leader and being able to contribute my time raising money for The United Way Campaign yearly. I also was involved with the social activities within the organization. – less
Reasonable salary, good values, but very rigid.
HR Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2013
Pros: reasonable salary, excellent benefits, clean and very modern office.
Cons: rigid management, lots of internal politics, difficult to be creative.
The salary was decent, especially for lower level and corporate positions. Not quite as competitive for Engineers, etc. but it's the government. Benefits however, are excellent across the board, especially Maternity benefits. This is a GREAT place to work if you have or plan to have a family.

Being a government agency, working there is very bureaucratic – more... and the board members are most concerned with not causing a problem(s) for the government of the day. As a result, this leads to micromanaging and a lack of freedom to make decisions/think outside of the box etc. If you are a highly creative person, you will probably go nuts working here. If you enjoy a highly structured work environment with lots of procedures and processes, you will do very well. Also as a result of this, there is lots of administrative support, which is a plus.

Most of my coworkers were friendly, but be careful as there is a higher than average amount of internal politics and jostling. Some teams are worse then others. As a result of this, and the aforementioned desire of the board to keep the government happy, a there exists a culture of "blaming," as no-one wants to be responsible for mistakes. – less
Average.
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: downtown, close to bus & train.
Was only a temp. contract position. Good experience though.