National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Being a part of a team was appreciated.
CR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABSeptember 17, 2014
I was put on a workplace accommodation and sent to an office job. I was new to the clerical world and the ladies I worked for were very patient with me and taught me new things daily. Being on a military base the turnaround was big, but I adapted to the always changing environment. My co-workers always made me smile and I enjoyed working there. The hardest part of the job was not knowing my future and the possibility of returning to the kitchen (unit I did work at) caused great anxiety as I dealt with a toxic environment

I ended up resigning my position at DND and quit the public service.
Pros
friendly staff and team players
Cons
lack of work somedays
It was a good place for me to start my career
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2014
I joined right out of high school and the military provided me with, Discipline, professionalism, and motivation.

I started my career young as a equipment operator and have enjoyed it the entire time.
Pros
good job security
Cons
military lifestyle
good summer, good money!
Orderly Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 29, 2014
i had a full summer worth of work, and i had a lot of fun. not much else to be said. thanks, DND
Pros
free lunches
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBAugust 22, 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
job stability
Cons
war
Security and room for advancement
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2014
On a typical day I would start with a morning parade then the crew would head out for maintenance and repairs. The management was delegated through rank structure so everyone had a specific job or persons they might manage. I worked in a crew because much of the work was a multi person tasking, creating strong friendships. The hardest part of this job was the time away from home and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of that job was the many people I met and the deferent places I travelled.
Pros
security
Cons
lots of time away from home
Hard and fun workplace
Regimental Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2014
Typical day at work would include alot of tank maintenance. I learned alot about how to work in a team enviroment but can also work alone. My leaders taught me alot on a daily basis,my co workers also taught me alot. We kept eachothers moral up in times where it would be low.

Hardest part of the job is being away from home and not knowing where we could end up. Most enjoyable part would be, being out doing training and actually being in the tank.
Pros
comradery
Cons
uncertainty, poor living conditions
Management was hard to work with
High School Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 7, 2014
Didn't have the most enjoyable time there. Management and other co workers did not give me the respect i felt i deserved.
Pros
union
Cons
many people were hard to work with
Over all great experience
Administrative Assistant (AS-01) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa , OntarioJuly 24, 2014
Working within DND was an amazing experience that I will for ever remember. Great work team, I was able to really take on great tasks working with a Lieutenant Colonel, I learned so much more about our troops and just a great department to learn about.

Working so close by with Peter Mackay was even better. I think over all that this job and opportunity that was presented to me was the most amazing one so far.
Pros
was the fact that i was able to speak with everyone and learn so much, / great lunch parties from time to time and the connection with the team was a good one
Cons
i really could not say much as per cons.
Great work environment with great people
Compensation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2014
As a casual employee my typical day consisted of culling files to be transferred via protected B status. Maintained all drop filing and shredding of sensitive documents. Light receptionist duties as computer work. I was always treated fairly and with respect by management and co-workers.
Exciting career
Hull Technician, Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 17, 2014
Work place is extremely diverse. One day you can be at work the next day you are deploying domestically for a major catastrophe or enroute to an international deployment.
Pros
diversity
Cons
long deployments
Typical office setting environment
Information Technology Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 12, 2014
Answer help queue calls in timely fashion, assemble computer workstations at office locations, image new workstations with appropriate OS and software.
Cons
no parking, no sick leave, no vacation time.
Productive and ongoing feedback as to performance.
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2014
Productive and ongoing feedback as to performance. Very helpful and training is provided.
Pros
positive work ethics.
Cons
disorganization at times.
Everyday working with the CF brought new challenges and experiences
Armoured Crewman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 17, 2014
Every day was very regimented. We knew exactly what we were going to be doing and when. Whether it be brushing up on basic soldier skills or maintaining armoured vehicles we were always fine tuning our soldiering. Everyone that I worked with on a day to day basis were not only co-workers but close friends. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train with foreign forces.
Pros
100% medical and dental benefits
Cons
away from family.
under staffed and over worked, no life like it
MOBILE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw,Edmonton,Comox,Cold LakeJune 16, 2014
team work and professional people working with broken outdated equipment, and making it work,
Pros
travel
Cons
government run
catering meals
National Defence Army Reserve (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 16, 2014
cook meals and serve to clients. make sure every thing is cooked properly and keep an eye on portion control and make sure my work area is clean. work fast but at a safe pace.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
not enough contracts
Wonderful place to work
Service Desk Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 14, 2014
An average day at work, with the Canadian Armed Forces, is highly stressful, but nothing compares to the satisfaction of knowing you've helped protect your country, and those that live in it.
Every day is a learning experience.
Management, on the local level, is the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with. My co-workers are highly trained, with each having their own area of expertise. Combined, we manage to provide support to the highest degree possible.
The hardest part about working for a military establishment, is the loss of friends when they're posted to different wings/bases.
The most enjoyable part of working with the Armed Forces, is meeting new friends, and providing the military with the highest level of support possible.
Pros
highly supportive work environment, opportunity for training, possibility for advancement when available
Cons
highly stressful
worked on many different projects gaining much experience
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gander, NLJune 12, 2014
Morning briefing about the work day ahead . Load all necessary tools and equipment onto job truck and trailer . go to work site, review any safety hazards . maybe tasked with going to pick up material at supply stores or starting the job at hand which could be a wide range of jobs working with a many different TRADESMEN .Use of wide range of power tools and provide heavy equipment support when needed .
Pros
training rooms and gym
Cons
resent lay-offs in dept of national defence
High paced, quick turn around work environment
Database Admin/ Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 10, 2014
High pressure and quick turnaround work, daily requiring liaising with Canadian military around the world.
Department of National Defence, Canada
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  SIU, Calgary, AlbertaJune 6, 2014
Senior officer in charge of the Investigation Section, Security Section and on different occasions the Patrol Section. The experience was exceptional. I was very well received by all personnel of all ranks with the Military Police Community and was often selected to attend a variety of specialized training courses to assist me in my varying roles. A typical day would be to review all reports that would require further or specialized investigation. I would then designate an investigator, ensuring the original report was submitted in the required time frame and all follow up action was within the 30 day allowable time frame. Reviewed and corrected all incoming reports for grammatical errors, etc.. Scheduled training for junior members, wrote annual evaluation reports, and recommended advancement and position changes for personnel deemed deserving of promotion.
The most enjoyable part was the close bonds and friendships as well as the superior training offered by the Department of National Defense.
Pros
friendships
Cons
exctremely long hours on occassion.
Productive place to work
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Goose Bay, NLMay 28, 2014
Great company to work for, very busy and that's what I enjoy.

4.3