National Defence Employee Reviews

Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB22 August 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
War
DND has been a great employer
Plumbering Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS7 May 2014
A typical day would start with scheduling any immediately required work to employee and tasking the rest of the staff to required duties. Once the staff are tasked I complete the time sheets for the previous day. My morning paper work also includes ordering of materials and the paying of invoices from the mail. I would then review incoming work and provide estimates on cost for both materials and labour for management to further review. In the afternoon I visit work places to ensure all work sites safety regulation are being enforced and that the work is being done in an efficient trade like manner. I am often called to trouble shot problem areas as well as assist inspectors in Defense Construction Canada.
Pros
Working with Military Supervisor of limited trade knowledge
Cons
Great place to work with great co-workers and work activities
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 December 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
Finance Inspector
Non Public Funds Financial Inspector (Current Employee) –  Québec, QC31 October 2012
Enjoyed being creative to adopt better ways of doing business. Provided alot of teaching points, guidance, checklists, updated policies to keep personnel at all units well informed. Enjoyed the travelling to all units to meet and work with people whom I directed. Enjoyed teaching and mentoring them to promote better efficiency and better management in their workplace. Hardest part of this job was to correct the same repetitive errors and assist them to make major corrections. Loved the challenges of helping out personnel and see many of them progress
Pros
teaching, mentoring, advising during visits
Cons
away much of the time
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Hull, QC5 November 2015
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Pros
everything
Cons
dungy basement
Very productive and engaging workplace and Colleagues
Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON2 September 2015
Working with Canadian soldiers is very rewarding and professionally challenging task.
It feels very good to be able to help people who are risking their biopsychosocial lives to protect and defend those who are opressed and at risk of harm.

Working in multidisciplinary team has many assets. One of them is being able to share with others concerns, stresses, treatment plans and goals as well as simple daily worries.

Great place to work with and great people to be around.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Requires strong self care and coping system
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB17 July 2015
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Pros
working closely with the passengers
Cons
odd hours
work ethics
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2015
I work hard everyday and when I come home I can actually say that I worked hard to get an honest days pay . These companies were great to work for , made may friends and a great atmosphere to work in .
Pros
great customer relation skills
Cons
area needs more work
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 November 2014
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Pros
Lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons
Can be hard on family life.
Very rewarding Career with great benefits
Canadian Forces (Current Employee) –  Canada14 March 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is an excellent rewarding career choice for those who like to travel,have a competitive steady income with room for career advancement.You will gain experience and life skills and professional and personal relationships.
For a contractor, a great place to work!
Operations Support Specialist/IT Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2015
National Defence has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, and a great atmosphere. I learned allot about various different government processes and procedures. I found the position kept you busy, but was not stressful.
Pros
Work Life Balance!
Cons
Projects/direction is always changing.
A very good place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2016
A very good place to work, People are very nice, professional. I want to get a permanent position at DND as a Human Resources Assistant / Coordinator.
Pros
A very good place to work
good summer, good money!
Orderly Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON29 August 2014
i had a full summer worth of work, and i had a lot of fun. not much else to be said. thanks, DND
Pros
free lunches
Marine Engineer
Chief Engineer Royal Canadian Navy (Submarines) (Current Employee) –  ADM MAT Ottawa12 December 2013
typical present day would be as a Life Cycle Material manager for Submarine Engineering Systems. as a Military member my present position allows me to interact with my Civilian counter parts and contractors. I am only one of two military members working with a group of 20 civilians,

Hardness part of my present position would be the lack of military structor that I have come to know over 29 years of service. working out of the comfort zone of the military world and now in a world dealing with other government departments and contractors.

I enjoy the feeling that at the end of the day that I have done my best to ensure that the men and women of the navy and submarine service are getting the best service possible.
Pros
skill and mind sets
Cons
long deployments away from families
Productive and team playing work place
IT Administrative Assistant - CR 03 - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB15 October 2014
I found working at the Department of National Defence to be a great place to work because everyone got along and worked well together.
I worked in several different departments of National Defence over the years because they were all contract work. Ninety days in a calendar year. I learned many different things over the years. From filing blue prints to photocopying, faxing, data entry, ordering supplies, year end reports and creating work orders.
The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it when my ninety days were up! I truly enjoyed working there and didn't want it to end!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesion amongst the co-workers. I truly felt like part of the team!
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2015
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
Pros
free parking
Cons
difficult culture
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 October 2015
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving family for months
Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2015
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Pros
Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons
Hours can vary
Having fun working with friends and co workers
Electrical (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 March 2013
I loved the challenge and responsibilities, i worked with a lots a co workers and managed many people in my career. I was supervisor of a electrical shop for many years in my career. The hardest part of my job was to be away from home 6 to 8 months at the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was to work with a great buch of poeple through out my career.
Pros
work with great peple
Cons
be away long period of time
Hard work
Retired (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2014
Experienced comprehensive learning skills and very hard work.
Instilled a sense of pride, skill, and work ethic beyond anything that I have ever experienced

Many ups and downs. Throughout my 35 years, I must say that the vast majority was of a positive nature. I still miss it to this day.
Pros
People, education, experience, seeing the world
Cons
Long hours, longs tours away from home, food

4.3