National Defence Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working as a front desk clerk.
Accommodation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONOctober 8, 2015
It was a good place to work, the staff were very good, I have made many friends. My supervisor was always available to answer my questions, and I was well trained.
Security
Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnAugust 5, 2015
Great career, with great people and security. room for advancement at own pace. Opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country and world
flexible hours, chance to travel, good health care and pension
Administrative Assistant/Financial Entitlements (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEFebruary 8, 2013
Spent 30 years in this organization, days were very unpredictable, work load as well.
Travel was always required as well as a healthy body in order to complete yearly fitness evaluations.
Pros
parking, health care, dental, pension, uniform provided
Cons
working long hours with no extra pay or benefit.
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 2, 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
Very rewarding Career with great benefits
Canadian Forces (Current Employee) –  CanadaMarch 14, 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is an excellent rewarding career choice for those who like to travel,have a competitive steady income with room for career advancement.You will gain experience and life skills and professional and personal relationships.
Great Youth organization
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSSeptember 15, 2015
I am the head of my department with the cadet organization. It is a great opportunity to develop Canada's youth into leaders.
Pros
interaction with youth
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBAugust 22, 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
job stability
Cons
war
DND has been a great employer
Plumbering Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSMay 7, 2014
A typical day would start with scheduling any immediately required work to employee and tasking the rest of the staff to required duties. Once the staff are tasked I complete the time sheets for the previous day. My morning paper work also includes ordering of materials and the paying of invoices from the mail. I would then review incoming work and provide estimates on cost for both materials and labour for management to further review. In the afternoon I visit work places to ensure all work sites safety regulation are being enforced and that the work is being done in an efficient trade like manner. I am often called to trouble shot problem areas as well as assist inspectors in Defense Construction Canada.
Pros
working with military supervisor of limited trade knowledge
Cons
great place to work with great co-workers and work activities
Challenging work enviroment.
Captain, Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2013
Had to deal with a great many emails, many of which were irrelevant but required reading for situational awareness. Financial management required many procedures and reviews. Cost capture analysis was also a great deal of my daily work which often had to be revised for alternatives to candidate loads or type of training to be adjusted. Staff management was relatively easy. Most problems were individuals dealing with personal problems. Most difficult part of position was dealing with different superiors as I had several senior persons to answer to and to cater to.
Pros
flexibilty, i as allowed to adjust my workload and activities on most occassions.
Cons
taskings away from home particularly in the summer months with little notice.
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2014
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Pros
lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons
can be hard on family life.
Finance Inspector
Non Public Funds Financial Inspector (Current Employee) –  Québec, QCOctober 31, 2012
Enjoyed being creative to adopt better ways of doing business. Provided alot of teaching points, guidance, checklists, updated policies to keep personnel at all units well informed. Enjoyed the travelling to all units to meet and work with people whom I directed. Enjoyed teaching and mentoring them to promote better efficiency and better management in their workplace. Hardest part of this job was to correct the same repetitive errors and assist them to make major corrections. Loved the challenges of helping out personnel and see many of them progress
Pros
teaching, mentoring, advising during visits
Cons
away much of the time
Educational work experience
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 5, 2015
Lots of oppourtunity to advance in tade skill and supervisory skills. A very well balance training and work environment.
Best People to work with
General office clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2015
DND is the best place to work, knowing that you're working with people who have served the country and still are is very satisfying. You would be working with people who have no problem taking the time to make sure that you learn everything and succeed win your job or to teach you new skills that can help you move forward. People are great, and always read to smile and talk with you even when it's a bad day.
Pros
Great comradeship
Cons
Contract was too short.
Great experience with great people
Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Worked relatively long days, however they were fulfilling. Your students go from ab-initio (completely new) to a qualified pilot in approximately six week under your instruction. There is something very rewarding about that.
Pros
very rewarding
Challenging Workplace and Dedicated People
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 6, 2012
A typical day at work involved dealing with staff, other government departments and contract files. I learned how to manage people and how to deal with clients. I worked with many levels of management and found most to be very helpful. My co-workers were fun, dedicated people who worked hard and helped each other. The hardest part of the job was the constant changes in software and policies and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and how they worked as a team.
good summer, good money!
Orderly Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 29, 2014
i had a full summer worth of work, and i had a lot of fun. not much else to be said. thanks, DND
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive and team playing work place
IT Administrative Assistant - CR 03 - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBOctober 15, 2014
I found working at the Department of National Defence to be a great place to work because everyone got along and worked well together.
I worked in several different departments of National Defence over the years because they were all contract work. Ninety days in a calendar year. I learned many different things over the years. From filing blue prints to photocopying, faxing, data entry, ordering supplies, year end reports and creating work orders.
The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it when my ninety days were up! I truly enjoyed working there and didn't want it to end!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesion amongst the co-workers. I truly felt like part of the team!
great people to work with, great to be part of our natinal defence work force.
BCEO Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 12, 2013
the employees i work with were very knowledgable and willing to teach. Each day consisted of performing work that the base supervisior gave us through purchase orders. Most purchase orders involved servicing of jetties( military vessels are docked at jetties).i didnt relize how much maintence was involved on the jetties. Management seemed to keep the eveything going smoothly. Most enjoyable part was being involved with our national defence and the guys i worked with.
Mentally straining, but enjoyable.
Summer Camp Instructor/Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 6, 2015
My typical day at work:
- Wake up, meet cadets for breakfast
- Teach classes, or prepare for future classes
- Physical training with cadets
- Make sure cadets eat lunch
- Teach classes or prepare for future classes
- Make sure cadets eat dinner
- Supervise cadets until they go to bed

The hardest part of my day is writing up lesson plans and making them interesting enough to hold the attention of the cadets.

The most enjoyable part of my day was teaching the cadets all about aviation and aerospace.
Pros
free meals, free housing
Cons
away from family and friends, working all day
Worked Hard always busy
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2015
Working for DND was great, I was always busy and the time just flew by. I had no problems working there. Kept myself out of the work politics and enjoyed being there
Pros
Work never stopped coming in

4.3