National Defence Employee Reviews

Educational work experience
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 August 2015
Lots of oppourtunity to advance in tade skill and supervisory skills. A very well balance training and work environment.
Security
Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On5 August 2015
Great career, with great people and security. room for advancement at own pace. Opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country and world
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia28 July 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB17 July 2015
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Pros
working closely with the passengers
Cons
odd hours
Good place to be and a lot to learn from
Supply Proc & Analysis Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2015
Very unique environment to be working in, specially because of the nature of the work. Varies from national security work to data analysis inorder to provide information up the chain of command to improve the internal business processes. A lot of variety of work from IT, to Finance to Material Acquisition to Supply chain work. All the listed above including the management of public's funds and assets to the best value and outcome for Canada.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
long turn around time
Primary Role
Primary Reservist (Soldier) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2015
The primary role of an armored reconnaissance soldier is to obtain accurate information regarding an objective or task in a timely manner whilst under pressure and using speed, firepower, maneuverability and, at times, stealth.
Like I need to say anything?
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 June 2015
Its the military, I was a clerk, it was awesome, loved it. I worked with confidential information, people are awesome...
For a contractor, a great place to work!
Operations Support Specialist/IT Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2015
National Defence has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, and a great atmosphere. I learned allot about various different government processes and procedures. I found the position kept you busy, but was not stressful.
Pros
Work Life Balance!
Cons
Projects/direction is always changing.
Worked Hard always busy
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 May 2015
Working for DND was great, I was always busy and the time just flew by. I had no problems working there. Kept myself out of the work politics and enjoyed being there
Pros
Work never stopped coming in
Good employer
Senior Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Ottawa4 May 2015
I am presently a full time employee of the Department of National Defence, working on ZLinux systems. I am a senior Oracle DBA with over 12 years experience with Oracle, including a year and a half with Oracle Corporation as an employee.
While presently working with Oracle 11.2.0.2 databases I have had experience with Oracle application servers, Oracle Developer, Dataguard , Oracle B2B, as well as many versions of the Oracle database from 6i and up.
In my present position I run Rman backups of my production database, and I have implemented an Active Dataguard solution. I am also responsible for refreshes of the applications development and training databases, which I developed the Unix scripts for. The rest of the databases in the system, depending on importance get a nightly data pump export, also scripted in Unix.
I am familiar with 11g Oracle Enterprise Manager, DBA Console and Toad, using OEM on a daily bases to check jobs I have scheduled through its interface.
I have installed many different Oracle products and I am familiar with things like Oracle versionitis.
I have held positions as a support DBA for databases and application servers as well as manager of the DND HRMS civilian and member databases
I am interested in an evening and weekend position supporting Oracle databases remotely and not presently looking to leave my current employer.
good place to work
infantry (Former Employee) –  shilo manitoba27 April 2015
the army is a good place to work if you like adventure. The army has a lot of challenges for an individual to overcome.

Integrity duty leadership.
A Challenging and Interesting Place to Work
Director (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2015
The Canadian Forces will challenge you. Most days are different, and life is always interesting. You will work with the best Canadians you will ever meet, who are selfless, hard working and loyal. You can learn a trade, you will have friends for life, and the self respect that comes from doing something that matters. You will get to work with some high tech equipment, and physical fitness is a basic part of the job. There is always something to learn, and the demands will always be upon you. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government starves the CF for resources, and this can and will be frustrating the longer you serve. You will be expected to achieve your mission, but you will often be challenged by a lack of resources and token support by the Government. You will rarely have the best equipment, and rarely will you have enough help. The only thing that will consistently get you through is the quality of the people, which is the strength of the CF. On the surface, the pay and benefits are good, but moving around will reduce your earning power, and you will sometimes lose in Real Estate deals because you don't control the timing or location of your moves. You won't get rich or even wealthy being in the military, but you will live relatively comfortably.
Pros
The people you work with.
Cons
Not having the resources you need to get the job done properly.
Best People to work with
General office clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2015
DND is the best place to work, knowing that you're working with people who have served the country and still are is very satisfying. You would be working with people who have no problem taking the time to make sure that you learn everything and succeed win your job or to teach you new skills that can help you move forward. People are great, and always read to smile and talk with you even when it's a bad day.
Pros
Great comradeship
Cons
Contract was too short.
Fast paced workplace with dedicated staff
Senior Manager, Regulatory and Aboriginal Affairs (Current Employee) –  Calgary14 April 2015
lots of interaction with numerous people from all over the organization. We make a difference in the work we do to ensure compliance to law.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Salary is not equivalent to the responsibilities
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2015
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Lack of trades courses
Very rewarding Career with great benefits
Canadian Forces (Current Employee) –  Canada14 March 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is an excellent rewarding career choice for those who like to travel,have a competitive steady income with room for career advancement.You will gain experience and life skills and professional and personal relationships.
I already wrote one out for this
Master Corporal (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2015
I already wrote one out for this and submitted it to your team for review.

If you could please take a look in your system, if one isn't found then I shall write one out.
Great experience with great people
Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON25 February 2015
Worked relatively long days, however they were fulfilling. Your students go from ab-initio (completely new) to a qualified pilot in approximately six week under your instruction. There is something very rewarding about that.
Pros
Very rewarding
Dnd
Middle Level Management (Current Employee) –  edmonton22 February 2015
It is a pleasure to work for your country and serve fellow Canadians. The military builds good discipline and team work. great atmosphere
Enjoyable life in the Canadian Forces
VARIOUS ADMINISTRATIVE CLERICAL POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Inuvik, NT19 February 2015
I enjoyed my time with the Military. It was an adventure, living in different parts of Canada and overseas. Some of the people I worked with became life long friends. The work was always varied which kept you from becoming bored. I thoroughly recommend a life with the Military.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3