National Defence

National Defence Employee Reviews

Good pay but not a lot to do unless your fighting a war...
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON1 December 2014
Typical day was exercise for one hour starting at 8 am, go home shower and back for 10 am parade/inspection in uniform. Sit around all day in the company locker area with nothing to do. It got so bad some days they'd make us pull our clean weapons from the vault and clean them again.... Around 4 pm we'd form up in ranks and find out if we were leaving then or if we had to wait around for nothing a little longer. Glad I left... :)
Pros
Pay, Guns, and that's about it.. Pride maybe, wait, no...
Cons
Far away from anything :( Petawawa, ON
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 December 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 November 2014
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Pros
Lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons
Can be hard on family life.
Being a part of a team was appreciated.
CR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB17 September 2014
I was put on a workplace accommodation and sent to an office job. I was new to the clerical world and the ladies I worked for were very patient with me and taught me new things daily. Being on a military base the turnaround was big, but I adapted to the always changing environment. My co-workers always made me smile and I enjoyed working there. The hardest part of the job was not knowing my future and the possibility of returning to the kitchen (unit I did work at) caused great anxiety as I dealt with a toxic environment

I ended up resigning my position at DND and quit the public service.
Pros
Friendly staff and team players
Cons
Lack of work somedays
Productive and team playing work place
IT Administrative Assistant - CR 03 - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB15 October 2014
I found working at the Department of National Defence to be a great place to work because everyone got along and worked well together.
I worked in several different departments of National Defence over the years because they were all contract work. Ninety days in a calendar year. I learned many different things over the years. From filing blue prints to photocopying, faxing, data entry, ordering supplies, year end reports and creating work orders.
The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it when my ninety days were up! I truly enjoyed working there and didn't want it to end!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesion amongst the co-workers. I truly felt like part of the team!
Hard and fun workplace
Regimental Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2014
Typical day at work would include alot of tank maintenance. I learned alot about how to work in a team enviroment but can also work alone. My leaders taught me alot on a daily basis,my co workers also taught me alot. We kept eachothers moral up in times where it would be low.

Hardest part of the job is being away from home and not knowing where we could end up. Most enjoyable part would be, being out doing training and actually being in the tank.
Pros
comradery
Cons
uncertainty, poor living conditions
Security and room for advancement
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2014
On a typical day I would start with a morning parade then the crew would head out for maintenance and repairs. The management was delegated through rank structure so everyone had a specific job or persons they might manage. I worked in a crew because much of the work was a multi person tasking, creating strong friendships. The hardest part of this job was the time away from home and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of that job was the many people I met and the deferent places I travelled.
Pros
security
Cons
lots of time away from home
Over all great experience
Administrative Assistant (AS-01) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa , Ontario24 July 2014
Working within DND was an amazing experience that I will for ever remember. Great work team, I was able to really take on great tasks working with a Lieutenant Colonel, I learned so much more about our troops and just a great department to learn about.

Working so close by with Peter Mackay was even better. I think over all that this job and opportunity that was presented to me was the most amazing one so far.
Pros
was the fact that I was able to speak with everyone and learn so much, / Great lunch parties from time to time and the connection with the team was a good one
Cons
I really could not say much as per Cons.
Everyday working with the CF brought new challenges and experiences
Armoured Crewman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON17 June 2014
Every day was very regimented. We knew exactly what we were going to be doing and when. Whether it be brushing up on basic soldier skills or maintaining armoured vehicles we were always fine tuning our soldiering. Everyone that I worked with on a day to day basis were not only co-workers but close friends. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train with foreign forces.
Pros
100% medical and dental benefits
Cons
Away from family.
worked on many different projects gaining much experience
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL12 June 2014
Morning briefing about the work day ahead . Load all necessary tools and equipment onto job truck and trailer . go to work site, review any safety hazards . maybe tasked with going to pick up material at supply stores or starting the job at hand which could be a wide range of jobs working with a many different TRADESMEN .Use of wide range of power tools and provide heavy equipment support when needed .
Pros
Training rooms and Gym
Cons
resent lay-offs in Dept of National Defence
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2014
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Great Job
Canadian Fleet Pacific Coastal Division Unit Chief (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 March 2014
Always changing environments with challenges ranging from easy to complex. I had to supervise a very diverse group of people in extremely challenging circumstances and environments. Responsible for personnel management, personnel safety, equipment repair and operations, instruction and supervising of personnel and equipment. Quite often in a high stress situation while trying to complete all tasks on time and safely.
Pros
Very high energy job with many benefits, Always learning new skills and adapting them to work in any scenario.
Cons
Could be away from home for long periods.
An excellent place to work with challenging tasks.
Resource Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Borden,ON17 March 2014
The CF is a very good place to work as you constantly meet new people every day. The work is challenging but also leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. There are often deadlines to meet but as we work as a team the pressure is not bad when everyone is working towards the same goal. The people are very good to work with as they know what has to be done and go about getting the task done.
Pros
Part of a team working towards the same goal, Travel to different parts of the country and meeting different people.
Cons
Good healthy environment , saw a lot of Canada and met many lifetime friends .
Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC26 February 2014
Maintained the operation of many types of Radars . l supervised and trained many co-workers through on the job training on various Radar sets. Attended many courses for Radars , first aid , firefighting , leadership,search and rescue and survival courses .
Pros
Great to live in various parts of Canada .Good environment to work in .Good pay and benefits .
Cons
Closed all the Radar sites and my trade disappeared .
Very interesting, lots of smart people to bounce ideas off
Engineering (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2014
I was exposed to a wide variety of things while working at DND. It was easily the most interesting job i have ever worked due to the large number of specialists working there with their unique insight into different types of problems. My job consisted of calling various people to make sure certain information was correct and up to date. I also updated the Canadian Habitability and Husbandry standards while i was there. This required a lot of research.
Pros
set own hours
Cons
Cant talk about work at home
Finance Inspector
Non Public Funds Financial Inspector (Current Employee) –  Québec, QC31 October 2012
Enjoyed being creative to adopt better ways of doing business. Provided alot of teaching points, guidance, checklists, updated policies to keep personnel at all units well informed. Enjoyed the travelling to all units to meet and work with people whom I directed. Enjoyed teaching and mentoring them to promote better efficiency and better management in their workplace. Hardest part of this job was to correct the same repetitive errors and assist them to make major corrections. Loved the challenges of helping out personnel and see many of them progress
Pros
teaching, mentoring, advising during visits
Cons
away much of the time
Very cohesive work environment with exploration geographically
Infantry (Current Employee) –  Wainwright, Alberta9 January 2014
The Department of National Defence (DND) trains you from the ground up guiding you every step of the way. It allows for plenty of time to keep your body and mind in excellent shape. I have experienced many courses, cultures, and self realizations over my time in the military. The most enjoyable thing about DND is the people you meet and work with throughout your career and the connections you maintain with those people. One downfall to DND would be the time spend away from your family for very extended or even unknown periods of time.

All in all, the Canadian Armed Forces just ended up not being the career for me, but that doesn't mean it is not the career for someone else.
Having fun working with friends and co workers
Electrical (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 March 2013
I loved the challenge and responsibilities, i worked with a lots a co workers and managed many people in my career. I was supervisor of a electrical shop for many years in my career. The hardest part of my job was to be away from home 6 to 8 months at the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was to work with a great buch of poeple through out my career.
Pros
work with great peple
Cons
be away long period of time
Great Experience !
Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 December 2013
Teamwork and cohesiveness of a culture that promotes team spirit or "esprit de corps" makes for an amazing sense of belonging in any activity performed. The intense need for strong leadership is definitely a significant character in this organization. If your skills are weak in that department, believe me, it will be very well improved in a very short period.
However, the advancement of a technically educated personnel could be noticeably slower than that of many of that in the private/non-governmental sector. To get to the edge of technology, engineering and state-of-the-art equipment, it would better to be on the contracted end.
Pros
Leadership skills, Team Spirit, benifits, job security.
Cons
Slow enhancement, high risk and heavy danger, below average compensation.
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB22 August 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
War

4.3