National Defence

National Defence Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Clerical
CR-03 (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2014
Student job while I was in college, good experience. Slower environment, looking for something more exciting and challenging.
DND has been a great employer
Plumbering Shop Supervisor (Former Employee), Greenwood, NSMay 7, 2014
Pros: working with military supervisor of limited trade knowledge
Cons: great place to work with great co-workers and work activities
A typical day would start with scheduling any immediately required work to employee and tasking the rest of the staff to required duties. Once the staff are tasked I complete the time sheets for the previous day. My morning paper work also includes ordering of materials and the paying of invoices from the mail. I would then review incoming work and provide estimates on cost for both materials and labour for management to further review. In the afternoon I visit work places to ensure all work sites safety regulation are being enforced and that the work is being done in an efficient trade like manner. I am often called to trouble shot problem areas as well as assist inspectors in Defense Construction Canada.
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons: sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Really good experience!
Technical Support Officer (Former Employee), OttawaMay 4, 2014
For the summer of 2013 I did my COOP at National Defense.
It was the first technical job I've ever had and it was really fun.
My job was to help the client with any problem they had with their computer, either by phone or in person. I used the Magic ticketing system to keep track of all my activity.
Decent place to work
Infantry Officer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 30, 2014
Pros: good paying
Cons: higher ranks sometimes expect too much
Being the army, must expect discipline and orderly conduct. Somewhat of a brotherhood within the workplace. Teamwork is essential.
Stress free and exciting place to work with
IT Support Services Technician (Current Employee), Louie St. Laurent building, GatineauMarch 24, 2014
Clients at DND are very polite and I never encountered a rude employee during my tenure there. My co-workers in the IT area are helpful and my manager is an excellent decision maker.
An excellent place to work with challenging tasks.
Resource Management Clerk (Current Employee), Borden,ONMarch 17, 2014
Pros: part of a team working towards the same goal, travel to different parts of the country and meeting different people.
The CF is a very good place to work as you constantly meet new people every day. The work is challenging but also leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. There are often deadlines to meet but as we work as a team the pressure is not bad when everyone is working towards the same goal. The people are very good to work with as they know what has to be done and go about getting the task done.
Great Job
Canadian Fleet Pacific Coastal Division Unit Chief (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 11, 2014
Pros: very high energy job with many benefits, always learning new skills and adapting them to work in any scenario.
Cons: could be away from home for long periods.
Always changing environments with challenges ranging from easy to complex. I had to supervise a very diverse group of people in extremely challenging circumstances and environments. Responsible for personnel management, personnel safety, equipment repair and operations, instruction and supervising of personnel and equipment. Quite often in a high stress situation while trying to complete all tasks on time and safely.
Very respectful environment,
Liaison Desk Officer (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 4, 2014
Productive and fun workplace, supporting all Land Force members all over Ontario.
Most enjoyable place I ever worked.
Very interesting, lots of smart people to bounce ideas off
Engineering (Internship) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 2, 2014
Pros: set own hours
Cons: cant talk about work at home
I was exposed to a wide variety of things while working at DND. It was easily the most interesting job i have ever worked due to the large number of specialists working there with their unique insight into different types of problems. My job consisted of calling various people to make sure certain information was correct and up to date. I also updated the Canadian Habitability and Husbandry standards while i was there. This required a lot of research.
Good healthy environment , saw a lot of Canada and met many lifetime friends .
Radar Technician (Former Employee), Comox, BCFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great to live in various parts of canada .good environment to work in .good pay and benefits .
Cons: closed all the radar sites and my trade disappeared .
Maintained the operation of many types of Radars . l supervised and trained many co-workers through on the job training on various Radar sets. Attended many courses for Radars , first aid , firefighting , leadership,search and rescue and survival courses .
great working environment
WELDING / CONSTRUCTION (Former Employee), Québec, QCFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: great career and tranging
Cons: dangerous
this career was one of the best jobs that I have ever had. the hours were long but the people that you would work with were great.
Independent workplace with friendly HR staff
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 13, 2014
• Reviewing and confirming employee acting assignments prior to entry into the database
• Updating employee pay list following transfers
• Responsible for data entry of employee information
• Referring client enquiries to designated officers
Service Desk Manager (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: training and experience opportunities .
Cons: high stress environment.
Fast paced environment. Talented co-workers and hard working management. Hardest part of the job is keeping on top of the workload and the fast changing pace of IT.
Stores Person (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lots of stress
I served 28 years with the National Defense and had to take an early medical retirement due to stress and anxiety.
The job was great but we do not get recognized for what we do, There are no promotions as civilians are not allowed to be supervisors unless you are a special person. There is a lot of favoritism and for those of us that have been there for years well you have to be in the favorites file. With all the cutbacks it is a higher demand for more work and less help. Civilians have no say so in the work place which is upsetting as we are the ones who are at the workplace at all times. The military put in an average of 25 to 30 hours work as week and we put in 40 hours a week and have to make up for the military while they are on various other duties, It is very hard and stressfull.
Hard work
Retired (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: people, education, experience, seeing the world
Cons: long hours, longs tours away from home, food
Experienced comprehensive learning skills and very hard work.
Instilled a sense of pride, skill, and work ethic beyond anything that I have ever experienced

Many ups and downs. Throughout my 35 years, I must say that the vast majority was of a positive nature. I still miss it to this day.
Fun Workplace, excellent team work
Training Officer, Administration Officer (Current Employee), Whitehorse, YTJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: helping children
Cons: politics
A typical work day would consist of inputting a lot of information into the computer. Writing Ro's.. Various printing jobs, filing and organization.. I've learned many protocols. Hardest Part of my job is the computer program called fortress. I enjoy everything about my job :)
Very cohesive work environment with exploration geographically
Infantry (Current Employee), Wainwright, AlbertaJanuary 9, 2014
The Department of National Defence (DND) trains you from the ground up guiding you every step of the way. It allows for plenty of time to keep your body and mind in excellent shape. I have experienced many courses, cultures, and self realizations over my time in the military. The most enjoyable thing about DND is the people you meet and work with throughout your career and the connections you maintain with those people. One downfall to DND would be the time spend away from your family for very extended or even unknown periods of time.

All in all, the Canadian Armed Forces just ended up not being the career for me, but that doesn't mean it is not the career for someone else.
Amazing place to learn more technical than pratical knwoledge
DMPP 3: Project Management & Acquisition Policy (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: co-workers are helpful
Cons: my office was located far from the manger's office
- Manager was motivational
- Learned in detail of contract policies
- Hardest part of the job was obtaining the certificate for RDMIS
good experience
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Victoria, BCDecember 27, 2013
Very good training and opportunities to progress career. Very long time spent away from family while on deployment was tough. Good pay and benefits.
Headquarters