National Defence Employee Reviews

Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 17, 2015
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Pros
Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons
Hours can vary
work ethics
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2015
I work hard everyday and when I come home I can actually say that I worked hard to get an honest days pay . These companies were great to work for , made may friends and a great atmosphere to work in .
Pros
great customer relation skills
Cons
area needs more work
good experience
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 27, 2013
Very good training and opportunities to progress career. Very long time spent away from family while on deployment was tough. Good pay and benefits.
Very productive and engaging workplace and Colleagues
Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Working with Canadian soldiers is very rewarding and professionally challenging task.
It feels very good to be able to help people who are risking their biopsychosocial lives to protect and defend those who are opressed and at risk of harm.

Working in multidisciplinary team has many assets. One of them is being able to share with others concerns, stresses, treatment plans and goals as well as simple daily worries.

Great place to work with and great people to be around.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Requires strong self care and coping system
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 30, 2015
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving family for months
Very productive
Administrative Assistant - Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONMay 27, 2013
Accommodating to employees
Excellent working environment
Great Benefits
Excellent hours
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
no permanent positions
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
Pros
free parking
Cons
difficult culture
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Lack of trades courses
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 17, 2015
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Pros
working closely with the passengers
Cons
odd hours
Two Thumbs up
Stores Person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 7, 2015
Great place to work for. Everyone involved takes real good care of you. You can feel the sense of teamwork at play everyday.
Great Place to Work
Marine Engineering Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 30, 2013
There are a lot of benefits to working for and with the military. Great pay with lots of different things to do. It's never boring.
Wonderful place to work
Service Desk Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 14, 2014
An average day at work, with the Canadian Armed Forces, is highly stressful, but nothing compares to the satisfaction of knowing you've helped protect your country, and those that live in it.
Every day is a learning experience.
Management, on the local level, is the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with. My co-workers are highly trained, with each having their own area of expertise. Combined, we manage to provide support to the highest degree possible.
The hardest part about working for a military establishment, is the loss of friends when they're posted to different wings/bases.
The most enjoyable part of working with the Armed Forces, is meeting new friends, and providing the military with the highest level of support possible.
Pros
highly supportive work environment, opportunity for training, possibility for advancement when available
Cons
highly stressful
The environment promoted focus and hard work
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
It was a great place to work. Since it was a dental clinic managed by military personnel,it was an environment focused on punctuality, hard work and fast pace work.
Department of National Defence, Canada
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  SIU, Calgary, AlbertaJune 6, 2014
Senior officer in charge of the Investigation Section, Security Section and on different occasions the Patrol Section. The experience was exceptional. I was very well received by all personnel of all ranks with the Military Police Community and was often selected to attend a variety of specialized training courses to assist me in my varying roles. A typical day would be to review all reports that would require further or specialized investigation. I would then designate an investigator, ensuring the original report was submitted in the required time frame and all follow up action was within the 30 day allowable time frame. Reviewed and corrected all incoming reports for grammatical errors, etc.. Scheduled training for junior members, wrote annual evaluation reports, and recommended advancement and position changes for personnel deemed deserving of promotion.
The most enjoyable part was the close bonds and friendships as well as the superior training offered by the Department of National Defense.
Pros
friendships
Cons
exctremely long hours on occassion.
Security and room for advancement
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2014
On a typical day I would start with a morning parade then the crew would head out for maintenance and repairs. The management was delegated through rank structure so everyone had a specific job or persons they might manage. I worked in a crew because much of the work was a multi person tasking, creating strong friendships. The hardest part of this job was the time away from home and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of that job was the many people I met and the deferent places I travelled.
Pros
security
Cons
lots of time away from home
Very cohesive work environment with exploration geographically
Infantry (Current Employee) –  Wainwright, AlbertaJanuary 9, 2014
The Department of National Defence (DND) trains you from the ground up guiding you every step of the way. It allows for plenty of time to keep your body and mind in excellent shape. I have experienced many courses, cultures, and self realizations over my time in the military. The most enjoyable thing about DND is the people you meet and work with throughout your career and the connections you maintain with those people. One downfall to DND would be the time spend away from your family for very extended or even unknown periods of time.

All in all, the Canadian Armed Forces just ended up not being the career for me, but that doesn't mean it is not the career for someone else.
The job is extremely high paced, challenging and constantly evolving.
Canadian Forces (Former Employee) –  All over Canada, the United States and EuropeApril 10, 2012
A typical day at work will generally cover the entire gambit of my job skills and experience. I will deal with operations, finances, personnel, future planning and resource management to ensure that it all goes smoothly. I am experienced at doing many things at once. Outwardly it would appear that I am disorganized but it really is a highly organized melee of activity.
Pros
at the end of a particularly difficult challenge, very rewarding to have overcome.
Cons
constant unforecasted long hours
Loved it
F&E Clerk/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was a furniture and effects clerk. We are located in the traffic section. People who move in and out come through us. As a Inspector i have a large guideline book to follow. I am to take pictures and show up at the moves during the phases of moving, packing and unloading to make sure everybody was doing there part.
For a contractor, a great place to work!
Operations Support Specialist/IT Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
National Defence has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, and a great atmosphere. I learned allot about various different government processes and procedures. I found the position kept you busy, but was not stressful.
Pros
Work Life Balance!
Cons
Projects/direction is always changing.
Like all work places. Your boss makes or breaks the work place.
ACCIS Communication System Techician (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABSeptember 1, 2015
In my 24 years I have worked with some great people and made some friends for life. Its a great job if you have no family or ur single as you can be gone for long periods of time.
Pros
Team building
Cons
away from family and friends long periods of time

4.3