National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 2, 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
A Challenging and Interesting Place to Work
Director (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2015
The Canadian Forces will challenge you. Most days are different, and life is always interesting. You will work with the best Canadians you will ever meet, who are selfless, hard working and loyal. You can learn a trade, you will have friends for life, and the self respect that comes from doing something that matters. You will get to work with some high tech equipment, and physical fitness is a basic part of the job. There is always something to learn, and the demands will always be upon you. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government starves the CF for resources, and this can and will be frustrating the longer you serve. You will be expected to achieve your mission, but you will often be challenged by a lack of resources and token support by the Government. You will rarely have the best equipment, and rarely will you have enough help. The only thing that will consistently get you through is the quality of the people, which is the strength of the CF. On the surface, the pay and benefits are good, but moving around will reduce your earning power, and you will sometimes lose in Real Estate deals because you don't control the timing or location of your moves. You won't get rich or even wealthy being in the military, but you will live relatively comfortably.
Pros
The people you work with.
Cons
Not having the resources you need to get the job done properly.
Fast paced workplace with dedicated staff
Senior Manager, Regulatory and Aboriginal Affairs (Current Employee) –  CalgaryApril 14, 2015
lots of interaction with numerous people from all over the organization. We make a difference in the work we do to ensure compliance to law.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Salary is not equivalent to the responsibilities
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBAugust 22, 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
job stability
Cons
war
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2014
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Pros
lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons
can be hard on family life.
Best People to work with
General office clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2015
DND is the best place to work, knowing that you're working with people who have served the country and still are is very satisfying. You would be working with people who have no problem taking the time to make sure that you learn everything and succeed win your job or to teach you new skills that can help you move forward. People are great, and always read to smile and talk with you even when it's a bad day.
Pros
Great comradeship
Cons
Contract was too short.
Great experience with great people
Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Worked relatively long days, however they were fulfilling. Your students go from ab-initio (completely new) to a qualified pilot in approximately six week under your instruction. There is something very rewarding about that.
Pros
very rewarding
DND/CF
Business Analyst - Strategic Planning (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2012
typical day: 8am-4pm, office environment, small team dynamics
learned: strategic planning, risk management, management skills
management: variety of management levels (section heads, directors, director general, assistant deputy minister, deputy minister)
Pros
stability, rewarding work, values, salary
Cons
mobility, initiative
Disciplined and professional
Signals Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 5, 2013
Learned how to work with different personalities and dispositions. Time management skills, leadership and computer skills to the extreme in several positions. You learn alot about yourself along the way and how to adapt to difficult or stressful situations.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
leadership skills lacking at times
DND has been a great employer
Plumbering Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSMay 7, 2014
A typical day would start with scheduling any immediately required work to employee and tasking the rest of the staff to required duties. Once the staff are tasked I complete the time sheets for the previous day. My morning paper work also includes ordering of materials and the paying of invoices from the mail. I would then review incoming work and provide estimates on cost for both materials and labour for management to further review. In the afternoon I visit work places to ensure all work sites safety regulation are being enforced and that the work is being done in an efficient trade like manner. I am often called to trouble shot problem areas as well as assist inspectors in Defense Construction Canada.
Pros
working with military supervisor of limited trade knowledge
Cons
great place to work with great co-workers and work activities
Excellent Career Opportunities
HR / Management / Training / Operations / Planning (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJuly 28, 2012
Very fortunate to have been given an opportunity to serve with the Canadian Armed Forces for 27+ years. I strongly recommend people explore a career opportunity suitable for them.
Pros
sports, benefits, pay, career advancement, life long learning
Challenging work enviroment.
Captain, Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2013
Had to deal with a great many emails, many of which were irrelevant but required reading for situational awareness. Financial management required many procedures and reviews. Cost capture analysis was also a great deal of my daily work which often had to be revised for alternatives to candidate loads or type of training to be adjusted. Staff management was relatively easy. Most problems were individuals dealing with personal problems. Most difficult part of position was dealing with different superiors as I had several senior persons to answer to and to cater to.
Pros
flexibilty, i as allowed to adjust my workload and activities on most occassions.
Cons
taskings away from home particularly in the summer months with little notice.
Bilingual Medical Administrative Clerk
Bilingual Medical Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medical recordsAugust 7, 2012
• Data entry into CFHIS of multiple medical and administrative forms •
• Compile data, statistics and other information.
• Prepare, distribute, and open incoming mail and outgoing mail
• Order charts from other bases for upcoming appointments, deployments or internal request.
• Preparation of letters, photocopying, mailing
• Maintain accurate and update database concerning mail entries and chart auditing
• Translate English forms to French
• Type and proofread correspondence, forms and other documents,
• Routing & tracking items for follow-up action.
• Provide service to members in regard to their medical chart at the front window by phone and thru email.
Pros
great working hours
Cons
no benifits low salary
Primary Role
Primary Reservist (Soldier) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
The primary role of an armored reconnaissance soldier is to obtain accurate information regarding an objective or task in a timely manner whilst under pressure and using speed, firepower, maneuverability and, at times, stealth.
Very accomodationg and helpful
IS Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2013
This was my very first full time employment job and I couldn't have been happier witht he results. I was fortunate to work here for two summers as a full time coop student. The staff around me helped in any way they could and was happy to provide thier services. The work environment was very intense at times but very exciting. I personally took care of any technical information system issues that may have arised. This thaught me more than I could have imagined and gave me the opportunity to actually put into affect all my education. Definitely a really great bunch of people that just made the work days that much more enjoyable.
Pros
some key benefits of working here, exceptional staff
Challenging Workplace and Dedicated People
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 6, 2012
A typical day at work involved dealing with staff, other government departments and contract files. I learned how to manage people and how to deal with clients. I worked with many levels of management and found most to be very helpful. My co-workers were fun, dedicated people who worked hard and helped each other. The hardest part of the job was the constant changes in software and policies and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and how they worked as a team.
Great job security and advancement
Aviation Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake AlbertaJune 17, 2013
DND is a great and rewarding employer for anyone looking to serve their country and have a rewarding career. Pay and benefits are average and dependent on rank. Health care is above average as DND has their own medical staff.
Finance Inspector
Non Public Funds Financial Inspector (Current Employee) –  Québec, QCOctober 31, 2012
Enjoyed being creative to adopt better ways of doing business. Provided alot of teaching points, guidance, checklists, updated policies to keep personnel at all units well informed. Enjoyed the travelling to all units to meet and work with people whom I directed. Enjoyed teaching and mentoring them to promote better efficiency and better management in their workplace. Hardest part of this job was to correct the same repetitive errors and assist them to make major corrections. Loved the challenges of helping out personnel and see many of them progress
Pros
teaching, mentoring, advising during visits
Cons
away much of the time
good experience
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 27, 2013
Very good training and opportunities to progress career. Very long time spent away from family while on deployment was tough. Good pay and benefits.
Like I need to say anything?
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJune 18, 2015
Its the military, I was a clerk, it was awesome, loved it. I worked with confidential information, people are awesome...

4.3