National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2014
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Pros
lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons
can be hard on family life.
Terrible work life balance with very little support from Managers/Directors
Excecutive Secretary (Temporary Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABOctober 16, 2014
Would not recommend this position if you want a work family life balance job.
Productive and team playing work place
IT Administrative Assistant - CR 03 - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBOctober 15, 2014
I found working at the Department of National Defence to be a great place to work because everyone got along and worked well together.
I worked in several different departments of National Defence over the years because they were all contract work. Ninety days in a calendar year. I learned many different things over the years. From filing blue prints to photocopying, faxing, data entry, ordering supplies, year end reports and creating work orders.
The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it when my ninety days were up! I truly enjoyed working there and didn't want it to end!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesion amongst the co-workers. I truly felt like part of the team!
Good people to work with. Horror is a huge factor
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke,QCOctober 10, 2014
Work can be complicated but its worth the experience and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I enjoy working hard to get somewhere, Its the whole point to work in a team to accomplish a real goal!
Pros
free food, paid gas, place to sleep
Cons
long crazy hours, wet conditions
IR clerk
IR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONSeptember 22, 2014
In charge of meeting, gathering information and creating contracts between members and DND
Pros
structure
Cons
even though military members would leave for the day, i was to remain until the end of the day
OPs and training Warrant Officer
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 21, 2014
•Assist the Officer Commanding (OC) in his command responsibilities so that the squadron (Sqn) achieves the operational and training objectives as tasked by the Commanding Officer (CO) 41 Combat Engineer Regiment.
•Advise and assist in the design, planning, resource and construction of various trg construction venues. This included defenses, observation posts, targets, accommodation buildings and compounds.
•Supervise the improvement of training area roads and combat road construction to include drainage and culverts.
•Coordinate all disciplinary matters concerning the Non Commissioned Members (NCM) of the Sqn. The SSM will prepare disciplinary files and organize Summary Trials at the Sqn level.
•Monitor daily routine of the Sqn to ensure Sqn NCMs are efficiently trained, lead and administered.
•Assist the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) in developing the Warrant Officers (WOs) and Senior NCMs by recommending challenging positions consistent with their developmental needs and Sqn requirements. The SSM will conduct professional development training as tasked or required to either the Sqn or the Regiment (Regt). The SSM will keep the SQN OC apprised of all matters concerning NCM development.
•Mentor Sqn WOs and NCOs with emphasis on the Troop WOs.
•Be the Combat Engineering technical expert in the Sqn and have a sound understanding for the detail of engineer task execution, equipment employment and resource requirements at the Sqn level.
•Command the Sqn Echelon as required.
•Apply and ensure the application of the CF Code of Ethics.
•Have a sound knowledge of the Service Support
  more... functions of the Regiment.
•Understudy the SSM and be acting SSM during absences.
•Train Field Engineer Troops for deployments and ensure all battle tasks standards have been accomplished to a high level of competency.
•Safety Advisor for the unit.
Being a part of a team was appreciated.
CR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABSeptember 17, 2014
I was put on a workplace accommodation and sent to an office job. I was new to the clerical world and the ladies I worked for were very patient with me and taught me new things daily. Being on a military base the turnaround was big, but I adapted to the always changing environment. My co-workers always made me smile and I enjoyed working there. The hardest part of the job was not knowing my future and the possibility of returning to the kitchen (unit I did work at) caused great anxiety as I dealt with a toxic environment

I ended up resigning my position at DND and quit the public service.
Pros
friendly staff and team players
Cons
lack of work somedays
It was a good place for me to start my career
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2014
I joined right out of high school and the military provided me with, Discipline, professionalism, and motivation.

I started my career young as a equipment operator and have enjoyed it the entire time.
Pros
good job security
Cons
military lifestyle
good summer, good money!
Orderly Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 29, 2014
i had a full summer worth of work, and i had a lot of fun. not much else to be said. thanks, DND
Pros
free lunches
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBAugust 22, 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
job stability
Cons
war
Security and room for advancement
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2014
On a typical day I would start with a morning parade then the crew would head out for maintenance and repairs. The management was delegated through rank structure so everyone had a specific job or persons they might manage. I worked in a crew because much of the work was a multi person tasking, creating strong friendships. The hardest part of this job was the time away from home and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of that job was the many people I met and the deferent places I travelled.
Pros
security
Cons
lots of time away from home
Hard and fun workplace
Regimental Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2014
Typical day at work would include alot of tank maintenance. I learned alot about how to work in a team enviroment but can also work alone. My leaders taught me alot on a daily basis,my co workers also taught me alot. We kept eachothers moral up in times where it would be low.

Hardest part of the job is being away from home and not knowing where we could end up. Most enjoyable part would be, being out doing training and actually being in the tank.
Pros
comradery
Cons
uncertainty, poor living conditions
Management was hard to work with
High School Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 7, 2014
Didn't have the most enjoyable time there. Management and other co workers did not give me the respect i felt i deserved.
Pros
union
Cons
many people were hard to work with
Over all great experience
Administrative Assistant (AS-01) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa , OntarioJuly 24, 2014
Working within DND was an amazing experience that I will for ever remember. Great work team, I was able to really take on great tasks working with a Lieutenant Colonel, I learned so much more about our troops and just a great department to learn about.

Working so close by with Peter Mackay was even better. I think over all that this job and opportunity that was presented to me was the most amazing one so far.
Pros
was the fact that i was able to speak with everyone and learn so much, / great lunch parties from time to time and the connection with the team was a good one
Cons
i really could not say much as per cons.
Great work environment with great people
Compensation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2014
As a casual employee my typical day consisted of culling files to be transferred via protected B status. Maintained all drop filing and shredding of sensitive documents. Light receptionist duties as computer work. I was always treated fairly and with respect by management and co-workers.
Exciting career
Hull Technician, Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 17, 2014
Work place is extremely diverse. One day you can be at work the next day you are deploying domestically for a major catastrophe or enroute to an international deployment.
Pros
diversity
Cons
long deployments
Typical office setting environment
Information Technology Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 12, 2014
Answer help queue calls in timely fashion, assemble computer workstations at office locations, image new workstations with appropriate OS and software.
Cons
no parking, no sick leave, no vacation time.
Productive and ongoing feedback as to performance.
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2014
Productive and ongoing feedback as to performance. Very helpful and training is provided.
Pros
positive work ethics.
Cons
disorganization at times.
Everyday working with the CF brought new challenges and experiences
Armoured Crewman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 17, 2014
Every day was very regimented. We knew exactly what we were going to be doing and when. Whether it be brushing up on basic soldier skills or maintaining armoured vehicles we were always fine tuning our soldiering. Everyone that I worked with on a day to day basis were not only co-workers but close friends. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train with foreign forces.
Pros
100% medical and dental benefits
Cons
away from family.
under staffed and over worked, no life like it
MOBILE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw,Edmonton,Comox,Cold LakeJune 16, 2014
team work and professional people working with broken outdated equipment, and making it work,
Pros
travel
Cons
government run

4.3