National Defence Employee Reviews

Great Place to work for
Compensation Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2016
great place to work for and would highly encourage people to apply as a civilian or military member
Typical hours for a civilian of work are 730-400 Monday to Friday, some shift work depending upon unit applying for
Was a life changing experience!
Materials Technician/Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON12 May 2016
A typical day at work entailed doing physical training in the morning followed by doing your trade (MOC), for the rest of the day! There are other courses and training involved in a typical week! The best times were in the field, doing training which most people will never get to experience!
Challenging and Excellent
Computer Systems Technicican by Trade (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2016
You have the opportunity to do so many things; Meet all kinds of people, military and/or civilian.
Largest Dept. in the federal Government
Great people not so busy
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2016
People are great but the job is kinda boring at times.typical day is going to work and working out for an hour then sitting there till you get told to do something or not. then when you go in the field it's like camping with guns.
Great Research Experience for Students (FSWEP)
Research Assistant (FSWEP) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2016
Lots of opportunities for experience in writing and co-authering government reports as well as opportunities to assist with focus groups and other intitiatives.
Rewarding employment
1) Cadet Instructors Cadre Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton and Vernon5 May 2016
I am a dedicated member of the cadet instructors Cadre and enjoy my time working with youth through that program. I have been a CIC officer for 5 years and intend to continue my work with them.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON22 April 2016
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Pros
Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons
Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Outstanding
Operations Warrant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2016
Learned lots, travel lots and met excellent people throughout my entire time in the military. It was a life changing experience doing all the things I have done in the military. Time started to change and it was time to move on after 25 years.
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2016
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
Pros
Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons
Unending administrative work

Want to know more about National Defence?

Ask a question
Resource Management
Resource Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS18 April 2016
Administering Service Personnel as well as Civilians employees working for National Defence. Different locations in Canada and abroad depending the requirements for either operational or domestic aspect of military involved.
Pros
Travelling around the world
Cons
Long and tidious hours
Good Career opportunity for some
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON12 April 2016
After 15 years of dedicated service, my body and family has had enough at this point. I've enjoyed my time serving to the fullest, but believe it is time for a change for both myself and my family.
Pros
Travel, dependable progression, benefits, comradery
Cons
War, conflicts, separation from loved ones for extended periods.
Procutive, face paced and an amazing experience
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  HQ7 April 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the Deputy Minister of National Defence. National Defence is an organization that welcomes you with open arms and you meet many VIP's along the way. I have worked here now for over a year and a half. I first worked at the Minister of National Defence, to the Associate Minister of National Defence to now the Deputy Minister. I enjoy my days when it is really busy and the days it isn't.
There was no life experience like it in Canada.
Bilingual Driver Wheeled Instructor/Examiner (Former Employee) –  Garrison Petawawa27 January 2016
Retired after 23 yrs of service on a medical release due to my left knee injury, the only regret I have was that my injury forced me into retirement before my time since I truly enjoyed my job and the people I was working with throughout my military career.
Pros
Great job with many challenges
Cons
Very hard physically
Benefit and job security is the best
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Meaford, ON26 January 2016
You have to be strong minded to work for the Military.
You learn to have leadership skills and developped a good working ethics.
Pros
have all the time for working out
A very good place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2016
A very good place to work, People are very nice, professional. I want to get a permanent position at DND as a Human Resources Assistant / Coordinator.
Pros
A very good place to work
Integration of an ERP system
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2016
-integration of SAP into the workforce as the new system software
-part of the team to train employees on how to use SAP
-write formal documentation and step by step processes for reference purposes on the government website
-solve test cases and trouble tickets
-challenging and complex ERP system
-extremely rewarding and purposeful position
Pros
rewarding and purposeful position
Cons
system disruption or malfunction at times
Very enjoyable Atmosphere
Contract Services (Management) (Former Employee) –  Canada13 January 2016
Every day was very busy, however, with the Training, Education and overall Team Work from Management down to the Dock Associates, and fellow peers, we've accomplished our daily task and brought smiles to our Customers with on time Deliveries.
Pros
Trainng, Education, Knowledge, Management Skill Level.
Cons
Nothing Negative
Great military experience
Video and Image Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2016
It's great being part of a team, learning off of each other, helping out with issues before letting others speak to a supervisor that might be trivial. Management its not the best, but work is work. There would be times when work gets switched from being done to redoing what has been done to a new method of doing things. Though, as long there is work, I pile through it.
Pros
Seasonal activities, charades, pictogram, order of the pie
Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2015
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Pros
Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons
Hours can vary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3