National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Health Admin Officer
STAFF OFFICER TO COMMANDING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2012
Ensured administration was completed accurately and on-time for senior staff in an organization of 300 military and civilian staff. Dealt with sensitive and confidential info on a daily basis.
The hardest part was dealing with difficult staff or patients. This required a lot of tact, empathy and diplomacy.
The most enjoyable part was interacting in a multi-disciplanary team setting consisting of doctors, nurses, and other medical professional staff.
Pros
lots of holiday time and free medical benefits.
Cons
long hours and not much free time.
Bilingual Medical Administrative Clerk
Bilingual Medical Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medical recordsAugust 7, 2012
• Data entry into CFHIS of multiple medical and administrative forms •
• Compile data, statistics and other information.
• Prepare, distribute, and open incoming mail and outgoing mail
• Order charts from other bases for upcoming appointments, deployments or internal request.
• Preparation of letters, photocopying, mailing
• Maintain accurate and update database concerning mail entries and chart auditing
• Translate English forms to French
• Type and proofread correspondence, forms and other documents,
• Routing & tracking items for follow-up action.
• Provide service to members in regard to their medical chart at the front window by phone and thru email.
Pros
great working hours
Cons
no benifits low salary
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
Pros
free parking
Cons
difficult culture
Very accomodationg and helpful
IS Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2013
This was my very first full time employment job and I couldn't have been happier witht he results. I was fortunate to work here for two summers as a full time coop student. The staff around me helped in any way they could and was happy to provide thier services. The work environment was very intense at times but very exciting. I personally took care of any technical information system issues that may have arised. This thaught me more than I could have imagined and gave me the opportunity to actually put into affect all my education. Definitely a really great bunch of people that just made the work days that much more enjoyable.
Pros
some key benefits of working here, exceptional staff
Challenging and Rewarding
Imagery Technician Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 10, 2015
There is no career more challenging or rewarding than to serve in the Forces, where Canadians take part in defending their country and participate in world events that will change their lives and the lives of the people they are helping.

The Forces offers outstanding debt-free education, as well as time-management and teamwork skills. The Forces is one of the only militaries in the world that ensures women are able to work in whatever job they choose.

What you learn from leadership (management) mainly is teamwork and have each others back, that no matter who the member (co-workers) is or where you work with or where they are stationed that working as a team is the most important to getting the mission done. The camaraderie and team spirit are considered by many members to be one of the main benefits of life in the military.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel the world, experience different cultures, meet new people, and use state-of-the-art equipment wherever they work.

Hardest part of the job is saying good bye to your loved ones and not able to tell them when you will be back, the long extensive times away from family, finding last minute childcare, stress of being away from family when they need you.

A typical day is rare in the military as one week it could be 7:30-3:30, then the following could be 5:30 until midnight or 3:00am for 5-30 straight with no time off. There is no consistency as emergencies come up.
Pros
travel, overseas experience
Cons
never paid for overtime when working 16 hour days for months on end.
Two Thumbs up
Stores Person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 7, 2015
Great place to work for. Everyone involved takes real good care of you. You can feel the sense of teamwork at play everyday.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 17, 2015
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Pros
working closely with the passengers
Cons
odd hours
The environment promoted focus and hard work
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
It was a great place to work. Since it was a dental clinic managed by military personnel,it was an environment focused on punctuality, hard work and fast pace work.
Everyday working with the CF brought new challenges and experiences
Armoured Crewman (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 17, 2014
Every day was very regimented. We knew exactly what we were going to be doing and when. Whether it be brushing up on basic soldier skills or maintaining armoured vehicles we were always fine tuning our soldiering. Everyone that I worked with on a day to day basis were not only co-workers but close friends. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train with foreign forces.
Pros
100% medical and dental benefits
Cons
away from family.
Quiet work enviroment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 2, 2013
Applying General Office procedures with particular emphasis on the receipt, analysis, classification, processing and retrieval of correspondence.
Perform clerical duties: filing, sorting and distributing mail.
Basic computer skills, windows, OutlookExpress electronic mail.
Operate all kinds of office machines.
Answer, screen and forward telephone calls, take messages.
Schedule, confirm and make new appointments.
Prepare routine correspondence and or preparing standard responses to military personnel and families.
Maintain and prepare reports.
Knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and Microsoft office.
Receive and record payments in ledger.
Helped Administrative Assistant make travel arrangements, like booking flights, hotels and transportation in Claims X.
Arrange meetings and conferences for the project.
Distributed all office supplies as well as ordering them.
Greet customers at the office and direct them to the appropriate contact.
Schedule, confirm and make new appointments for customers.
Some Bookkeeping
Prepare contract and forward to potential clients.
Pros
good salary
Cons
contract work
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Lack of trades courses
An outstanding opportunity to learn a wide variety of extremely relevant skills such as team building, task management and operating under stress.
Officer (Current Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 1, 2012
For all of the outstanding opportunities to develop a well-rounded balance of skills, there is a lot of time spent away from home for training and operational deployments, and you will be moved across the country to Canadian Forces Bases and detachments.
Pros
team cohesion, compensation and benefits
Cons
time away from home, little control in postings
Loved it
F&E Clerk/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was a furniture and effects clerk. We are located in the traffic section. People who move in and out come through us. As a Inspector i have a large guideline book to follow. I am to take pictures and show up at the moves during the phases of moving, packing and unloading to make sure everybody was doing there part.
Good healthy environment , saw a lot of Canada and met many lifetime friends .
Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  Comox, BCFebruary 26, 2014
Maintained the operation of many types of Radars . l supervised and trained many co-workers through on the job training on various Radar sets. Attended many courses for Radars , first aid , firefighting , leadership,search and rescue and survival courses .
Pros
great to live in various parts of canada .good environment to work in .good pay and benefits .
Cons
closed all the radar sites and my trade disappeared .
very interesting work
RESERVE FORCE OFFICER - LIEUTENANT (N) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa and BordenSeptember 23, 2015
I have spent a total 26 years (so far) in the Military Reserves and I have love every day. This is a job that is always changing and you are always learning.
Pros
challenging
Cons
sometimes very long days and alot of them in a row.
Like all work places. Your boss makes or breaks the work place.
ACCIS Communication System Techician (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABSeptember 1, 2015
In my 24 years I have worked with some great people and made some friends for life. Its a great job if you have no family or ur single as you can be gone for long periods of time.
Pros
Team building
Cons
away from family and friends long periods of time
I enjoyed working as a front desk clerk.
Accommodation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONOctober 8, 2015
It was a good place to work, the staff were very good, I have made many friends. My supervisor was always available to answer my questions, and I was well trained.
Security
Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnAugust 5, 2015
Great career, with great people and security. room for advancement at own pace. Opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country and world
Gain exceptional experiences
Marine Electrical Technician-Naval Certified (Current Employee) –  Halifax,NSOctober 25, 2012
Typical days are like any other job with the exception of deployment away from home which constitutes most of a year. One works very closely with highly trained and skilled people with enormous amounts of experiences. The most difficult part of this job is the time spent away from family however the benefits are seeing the world that most people could only dream of.
Secure employment with long term job security.
Senior Storesman (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 10, 2013
A great place to work for benefits and salary. Camaraderie is second to none. You must be able to follow orders. Excellent opportunities to see the world. Family life does suffer with unexpected deployments and possibilities of working overtime with no additional benefits.
Pros
excellent benefits and salaries.
Cons
extended deployments & must me available 24/7. .

4.3