National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Hull, QCNovember 5, 2015
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Pros
everything
Cons
dungy basement
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 30, 2015
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving family for months
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONOctober 29, 2015
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
Pros
Lots of hockey
Cons
Writing many memos and evaluation reports
I enjoyed working as a front desk clerk.
Accommodation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONOctober 8, 2015
It was a good place to work, the staff were very good, I have made many friends. My supervisor was always available to answer my questions, and I was well trained.
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
Pros
free parking
Cons
difficult culture
work ethics
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2015
I work hard everyday and when I come home I can actually say that I worked hard to get an honest days pay . These companies were great to work for , made may friends and a great atmosphere to work in .
Pros
great customer relation skills
Cons
area needs more work
very interesting work
RESERVE FORCE OFFICER - LIEUTENANT (N) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa and BordenSeptember 23, 2015
I have spent a total 26 years (so far) in the Military Reserves and I have love every day. This is a job that is always changing and you are always learning.
Pros
challenging
Cons
sometimes very long days and alot of them in a row.
Great Youth organization
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSSeptember 15, 2015
I am the head of my department with the cadet organization. It is a great opportunity to develop Canada's youth into leaders.
Pros
interaction with youth
Loved it
F&E Clerk/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was a furniture and effects clerk. We are located in the traffic section. People who move in and out come through us. As a Inspector i have a large guideline book to follow. I am to take pictures and show up at the moves during the phases of moving, packing and unloading to make sure everybody was doing there part.
Very productive and engaging workplace and Colleagues
Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Working with Canadian soldiers is very rewarding and professionally challenging task.
It feels very good to be able to help people who are risking their biopsychosocial lives to protect and defend those who are opressed and at risk of harm.

Working in multidisciplinary team has many assets. One of them is being able to share with others concerns, stresses, treatment plans and goals as well as simple daily worries.

Great place to work with and great people to be around.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Requires strong self care and coping system
Like all work places. Your boss makes or breaks the work place.
ACCIS Communication System Techician (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABSeptember 1, 2015
In my 24 years I have worked with some great people and made some friends for life. Its a great job if you have no family or ur single as you can be gone for long periods of time.
Pros
Team building
Cons
away from family and friends long periods of time
Educational work experience
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 5, 2015
Lots of oppourtunity to advance in tade skill and supervisory skills. A very well balance training and work environment.
Security
Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnAugust 5, 2015
Great career, with great people and security. room for advancement at own pace. Opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country and world
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJuly 28, 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 17, 2015
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Pros
working closely with the passengers
Cons
odd hours
Good place to be and a lot to learn from
Supply Proc & Analysis Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
Very unique environment to be working in, specially because of the nature of the work. Varies from national security work to data analysis inorder to provide information up the chain of command to improve the internal business processes. A lot of variety of work from IT, to Finance to Material Acquisition to Supply chain work. All the listed above including the management of public's funds and assets to the best value and outcome for Canada.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
long turn around time
Primary Role
Primary Reservist (Soldier) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
The primary role of an armored reconnaissance soldier is to obtain accurate information regarding an objective or task in a timely manner whilst under pressure and using speed, firepower, maneuverability and, at times, stealth.
Like I need to say anything?
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJune 18, 2015
Its the military, I was a clerk, it was awesome, loved it. I worked with confidential information, people are awesome...
For a contractor, a great place to work!
Operations Support Specialist/IT Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
National Defence has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, and a great atmosphere. I learned allot about various different government processes and procedures. I found the position kept you busy, but was not stressful.
Pros
Work Life Balance!
Cons
Projects/direction is always changing.

4.3