National Defence

National Defence Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Youth organization
Administration Officer (Current Employee), New Glasgow, NSSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: interaction with youth
I am the head of my department with the cadet organization. It is a great opportunity to develop Canada's youth into leaders.
Loved it
F&E Clerk/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), Toronto,OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was a furniture and effects clerk. We are located in the traffic section. People who move in and out come through us. As a Inspector i have a large guideline book to follow. I am to take pictures and show up at the moves during the phases of moving, packing and unloading to make sure everybody was doing there part.
Very productive and engaging workplace and Colleagues
Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Current Employee), Borden, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Very rewarding
Cons: Requires strong self care and coping system
Working with Canadian soldiers is very rewarding and professionally challenging task.
It feels very good to be able to help people who are risking their biopsychosocial lives to protect and defend those who are opressed and at risk of harm.

Working in multidisciplinary team has many assets. One of them is being able to share with others concerns, stresses, treatment plans and goals as well as simple daily worries.

Great place to work with and great people to be around.
Like all work places. Your boss makes or breaks the work place.
ACCIS Communication System Techician (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Team building
Cons: away from family and friends long periods of time
In my 24 years I have worked with some great people and made some friends for life. Its a great job if you have no family or ur single as you can be gone for long periods of time.
Educational work experience
Hull Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 5, 2015
Lots of oppourtunity to advance in tade skill and supervisory skills. A very well balance training and work environment.
Security
Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnAugust 5, 2015
Great career, with great people and security. room for advancement at own pace. Opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country and world
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee), Nova ScotiaJuly 28, 2015
Pros: job security, pension and benefits
Cons: Time away from family
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: working closely with the passengers
Cons: odd hours
A typical day at work was mostly picking up cadets and transporting them to various locations throughout the city. It started around 9:00 am with pre-checks of the vehicles then I had to pick upand deliver mail. Around 11:00 started the pick up of passengers.

I really enjoyed working with the cadets. They were polite and well mannered. All were grateful for the ride that was given to them.

The hardest part of the job was the different hours of work. mostly it started around 9:00 am and ended around 4:00 pm. but sometimes, like on weekends I had to start at the usual (:00 am and didn't finish until 11:00 pm.
Good place to be and a lot to learn from
Supply Proc & Analysis Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Work-life balance
Cons: long turn around time
Very unique environment to be working in, specially because of the nature of the work. Varies from national security work to data analysis inorder to provide information up the chain of command to improve the internal business processes. A lot of variety of work from IT, to Finance to Material Acquisition to Supply chain work. All the listed above including the management of public's funds and assets to the best value and outcome for Canada.
Primary Role
Primary Reservist (Soldier) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
The primary role of an armored reconnaissance soldier is to obtain accurate information regarding an objective or task in a timely manner whilst under pressure and using speed, firepower, maneuverability and, at times, stealth.
Like I need to say anything?
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONJune 18, 2015
Its the military, I was a clerk, it was awesome, loved it. I worked with confidential information, people are awesome...
For a contractor, a great place to work!
Operations Support Specialist/IT Physical Security (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 26, 2015
Pros: Work Life Balance!
Cons: Projects/direction is always changing.
National Defence has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, and a great atmosphere. I learned allot about various different government processes and procedures. I found the position kept you busy, but was not stressful.
Worked Hard always busy
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2015
Pros: Work never stopped coming in
Cons: None
Working for DND was great, I was always busy and the time just flew by. I had no problems working there. Kept myself out of the work politics and enjoyed being there
Good employer
Senior Oracle DBA (Current Employee), OttawaMay 4, 2015
I am presently a full time employee of the Department of National Defence, working on ZLinux systems. I am a senior Oracle DBA with over 12 years experience with Oracle, including a year and a half with Oracle Corporation as an employee.
While presently working with Oracle 11.2.0.2 databases I have had experience with Oracle application servers, Oracle Developer, Dataguard , Oracle B2B, as well as many versions of the Oracle database from 6i and up.
In my present position I run Rman backups of my production database, and I have implemented an Active Dataguard solution. I am also responsible for refreshes of the applications development and training databases, which I developed the Unix scripts for. The rest of the databases in the system, depending on importance get a nightly data pump export, also scripted in Unix.
I am familiar with 11g Oracle Enterprise Manager, DBA Console and Toad, using OEM on a daily bases to check jobs I have scheduled through its interface.
I have installed many different Oracle products and I am familiar with things like Oracle versionitis.
I have held positions as a support DBA for databases and application servers as well as manager of the DND HRMS civilian and member databases
I am interested in an evening and weekend position supporting Oracle databases remotely and not presently looking to leave my current employer.
good place to work
infantry (Former Employee), shilo manitobaApril 27, 2015
the army is a good place to work if you like adventure. The army has a lot of challenges for an individual to overcome.

Integrity duty leadership.
A Challenging and Interesting Place to Work
Director (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: The people you work with.
Cons: Not having the resources you need to get the job done properly.
The Canadian Forces will challenge you. Most days are different, and life is always interesting. You will work with the best Canadians you will ever meet, who are selfless, hard working and loyal. You can learn a trade, you will have friends for life, and the self respect that comes from doing something that matters. You will get to work with some high tech equipment, and physical fitness is a basic part of the job. There is always something to learn, and the demands will always be upon you. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government starves the CF for resources, and this can and will be frustrating the longer you serve. You will be expected to achieve your mission, but you will often be challenged by a lack of resources and token support by the Government. You will rarely have the best equipment, and rarely will you have enough help. The only thing that will consistently get you through is the quality of the people, which is the strength of the CF. On the surface, the pay and benefits are good, but moving around will reduce your earning power, and you will sometimes lose in Real Estate deals because you don't control the timing or location of your moves. You won't get rich or even wealthy being in the military, but you will live relatively comfortably.
Best People to work with
General office clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great comradeship
Cons: Contract was too short.
DND is the best place to work, knowing that you're working with people who have served the country and still are is very satisfying. You would be working with people who have no problem taking the time to make sure that you learn everything and succeed win your job or to teach you new skills that can help you move forward. People are great, and always read to smile and talk with you even when it's a bad day.
Fast paced workplace with dedicated staff
Senior Manager, Regulatory and Aboriginal Affairs (Current Employee), CalgaryApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good people
Cons: Salary is not equivalent to the responsibilities
lots of interaction with numerous people from all over the organization. We make a difference in the work we do to ensure compliance to law.
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great friendships
Cons: Lack of trades courses
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Very rewarding Career with great benefits
Canadian Forces (Current Employee), CanadaMarch 14, 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is an excellent rewarding career choice for those who like to travel,have a competitive steady income with room for career advancement.You will gain experience and life skills and professional and personal relationships.
Headquarters