National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 17, 2015
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Pros
Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons
Hours can vary
Working with the Military
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MBDecember 17, 2015
I was in Gimli, MB working as an Operations Officer for 7 weeks. Along side 3 fellow officers we carried out the duty of making sure all cadets were where they needed to be at lights out and all through the night.
Pros
working overnights and salary
Cons
Understaffed and can be very stressful at times due to the workload
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT CLERK (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 15, 2015
It is an 8-4 job that requires hard work and much dedication. We are always busy but the lack of getting information passed down in a timely fashion can be pretty frustrating. Good employee diversity and availability of courses and work days to be tasked to. Pay is not too bad but due to budget cuts from the federal government, we have not had a pay raise in two years.
Pros
Great support and educational benefits
Cons
Long hours and time away from family for training
Two Thumbs up
Stores Person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 7, 2015
Great place to work for. Everyone involved takes real good care of you. You can feel the sense of teamwork at play everyday.
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 30, 2015
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Pros
Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons
Postings
Very interesting job
Travel Cell Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hull, QCNovember 13, 2015
I am very happy to be able to work in a face pace environment. I work here on contract which doesn't give me a great salary but I like the people I work with.
The environment promoted focus and hard work
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
It was a great place to work. Since it was a dental clinic managed by military personnel,it was an environment focused on punctuality, hard work and fast pace work.
Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Hull, QCNovember 5, 2015
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Pros
everything
Cons
dungy basement
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 30, 2015
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving family for months
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONOctober 29, 2015
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
Pros
Lots of hockey
Cons
Writing many memos and evaluation reports
I enjoyed working as a front desk clerk.
Accommodation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONOctober 8, 2015
It was a good place to work, the staff were very good, I have made many friends. My supervisor was always available to answer my questions, and I was well trained.
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
Pros
free parking
Cons
difficult culture
work ethics
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2015
I work hard everyday and when I come home I can actually say that I worked hard to get an honest days pay . These companies were great to work for , made may friends and a great atmosphere to work in .
Pros
great customer relation skills
Cons
area needs more work
very interesting work
RESERVE FORCE OFFICER - LIEUTENANT (N) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa and BordenSeptember 23, 2015
I have spent a total 26 years (so far) in the Military Reserves and I have love every day. This is a job that is always changing and you are always learning.
Pros
challenging
Cons
sometimes very long days and alot of them in a row.
Great Youth organization
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSSeptember 15, 2015
I am the head of my department with the cadet organization. It is a great opportunity to develop Canada's youth into leaders.
Pros
interaction with youth
Loved it
F&E Clerk/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was a furniture and effects clerk. We are located in the traffic section. People who move in and out come through us. As a Inspector i have a large guideline book to follow. I am to take pictures and show up at the moves during the phases of moving, packing and unloading to make sure everybody was doing there part.
Very productive and engaging workplace and Colleagues
Concurrent Disorders Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Working with Canadian soldiers is very rewarding and professionally challenging task.
It feels very good to be able to help people who are risking their biopsychosocial lives to protect and defend those who are opressed and at risk of harm.

Working in multidisciplinary team has many assets. One of them is being able to share with others concerns, stresses, treatment plans and goals as well as simple daily worries.

Great place to work with and great people to be around.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Requires strong self care and coping system
Like all work places. Your boss makes or breaks the work place.
ACCIS Communication System Techician (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABSeptember 1, 2015
In my 24 years I have worked with some great people and made some friends for life. Its a great job if you have no family or ur single as you can be gone for long periods of time.
Pros
Team building
Cons
away from family and friends long periods of time
Educational work experience
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 5, 2015
Lots of oppourtunity to advance in tade skill and supervisory skills. A very well balance training and work environment.

4.3