National Defence Employee Reviews

Understaffed and can be very stressful at times due to the workload
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT CLERK (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 15, 2015
It is an 8-4 job that requires hard work and much dedication. We are always busy but the lack of getting information passed down in a timely fashion can be pretty frustrating. Good employee diversity and availability of courses and work days to be tasked to. Pay is not too bad but due to budget cuts from the federal government, we have not had a pay raise in two years.
Pros
Great support and educational benefits
Cons
Long hours and time away from family for training
Working with the Military
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MBDecember 17, 2015
I was in Gimli, MB working as an Operations Officer for 7 weeks. Along side 3 fellow officers we carried out the duty of making sure all cadets were where they needed to be at lights out and all through the night.
Pros
working overnights and salary
Medical Branch
Medical Branch (Former Employee) –  Canada wideJuly 27, 2016
Great if you require some direction yet military medical officer corp leadership needs to be developed. I witnessed too much harassment during my 25 plus years which military did not care to address when reported.

Plenty of opportunities for physical fitness and career development (courses). Military will pay for specialty training and will allow medical specialists opportunity to work at civilian hospitals.

Advancement system (PER) is antiquated and inconsistent as many who advance do so by networking rather than achievement.

Military has no hospitals and advanced clinical skill sets may be lost quickly unless you moonlight.

Requires a commitment to military prior to family.

Military forgets you (veteran) when you retire and takes forever to obtain answers to registered letters (> than 1 year).
Pros
education, travel, physical fitness, work with other cultures
Cons
culture of harassment, poor leadership at officer level
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 30, 2015
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Pros
Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons
Postings
Proud to serve.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 4, 2016
The Military isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I hope it will advance my career goals to become a Police Officer. It can be tough, the days can be long, and if you enjoy being wet for 12 hours or more at a time, this is a great place to start. I've met some of my best friends here, and what started as a part time job as a reservist, has turned into a career. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love my country, I love our military, and I will spend the rest of my life serving in her Majesty's Army.
Pros
Changes your life, creates a stronger, better you.
Cons
REALLY long hours, and days.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Very interesting job
Travel Cell Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hull, QCNovember 13, 2015
I am very happy to be able to work in a face pace environment. I work here on contract which doesn't give me a great salary but I like the people I work with.
Rewarding if you are willing to sacrifice your own life
Imagery Technician (Photographer) (Current Employee) –  Quebec, QuebecJuly 20, 2016
If you want a job that pushes you to the limits the Military is the place to be. It will push you to work your hardest during busy periods and will push you to boredom during slow periods. Hurry up and wait should be the military motto.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Have to be willing to sacrifice your life, long deployments away from family, stressful environments
Productive and fun place with military and civilians!
Senior Costing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2016
A fantastic place to be employed, the synergy between military and civilian talent is brilliantly managed by the Senior Management.

I have grown as a Professional significantly, through well thought out and planned talent management and support systems.
Pros
Great people, environment and ethos
Cons
Concentration of jobs are in Ottawa
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJuly 28, 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
Pros
Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons
Unending administrative work
Some peers are horrible, some are amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
If you have patience to work with people who harass you, then you'll have an excellent experience. Unfortunately, I encountered one person at the end of my career that spent two years making my life a living nightmare. It's a sad way to end my career with the Public Service. Oh well, the remainder of my career was amazing!!! As were the remainder of my peers!
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Discontents
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 18, 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home
Great place to learn
Project Manager/ Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2016
I was able to grow professionally through training and experience. As well the benefits were incredible. The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant change as co workers left and new ones came it became increasingly harder to maintain continuity.
Great company to work for
IT Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Working at DND is like working with your extended family. Managers are interested in helping you succeed in your career.
Weekly status meetings are performed to ensure you can progress well in your project.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Slow to deliver projects
Procutive, face paced and an amazing experience
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  HQApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the Deputy Minister of National Defence. National Defence is an organization that welcomes you with open arms and you meet many VIP's along the way. I have worked here now for over a year and a half. I first worked at the Minister of National Defence, to the Associate Minister of National Defence to now the Deputy Minister. I enjoy my days when it is really busy and the days it isn't.
Was a life changing experience!
Materials Technician/Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work entailed doing physical training in the morning followed by doing your trade (MOC), for the rest of the day! There are other courses and training involved in a typical week! The best times were in the field, doing training which most people will never get to experience!
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 22, 2016
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Pros
Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons
Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Would do it all again
Telecommunications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2016
I enjoyed all 20 years of my service. would still be there, but had to get out to keep the family happy. I miss it and wish I could still be there.
Pros
Great all around
Cons
extended tours
Great Experience !
Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 8, 2013
Teamwork and cohesiveness of a culture that promotes team spirit or "esprit de corps" makes for an amazing sense of belonging in any activity performed. The intense need for strong leadership is definitely a significant character in this organization. If your skills are weak in that department, believe me, it will be very well improved in a very short period.
However, the advancement of a technically educated personnel could be noticeably slower than that of many of that in the private/non-governmental sector. To get to the edge of technology, engineering and state-of-the-art equipment, it would better to be on the contracted end.
Pros
leadership skills, team spirit, benifits, job security.
Cons
slow enhancement, high risk and heavy danger, below average compensation.

4.3