National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Some peers are horrible, some are amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
If you have patience to work with people who harass you, then you'll have an excellent experience. Unfortunately, I encountered one person at the end of my career that spent two years making my life a living nightmare. It's a sad way to end my career with the Public Service. Oh well, the remainder of my career was amazing!!! As were the remainder of my peers!
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Discontents
Enjoyed welcoming and telling new members posted to YK about the North
Housing and Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time with DND. I felt it was time to move on to a new career. the main duty was to welcome new Military members to the North.
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 18, 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home
Great Place to work for
Compensation Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2016
great place to work for and would highly encourage people to apply as a civilian or military member
Typical hours for a civilian of work are 730-400 Monday to Friday, some shift work depending upon unit applying for
Was a life changing experience!
Materials Technician/Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work entailed doing physical training in the morning followed by doing your trade (MOC), for the rest of the day! There are other courses and training involved in a typical week! The best times were in the field, doing training which most people will never get to experience!
Challenging and Excellent
Computer Systems Technicican by Trade (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
You have the opportunity to do so many things; Meet all kinds of people, military and/or civilian.
Largest Dept. in the federal Government
Great people not so busy
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
People are great but the job is kinda boring at times.typical day is going to work and working out for an hour then sitting there till you get told to do something or not. then when you go in the field it's like camping with guns.
Great Research Experience for Students (FSWEP)
Research Assistant (FSWEP) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 6, 2016
Lots of opportunities for experience in writing and co-authering government reports as well as opportunities to assist with focus groups and other intitiatives.
Rewarding employment
1) Cadet Instructors Cadre Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton and VernonMay 5, 2016
I am a dedicated member of the cadet instructors Cadre and enjoy my time working with youth through that program. I have been a CIC officer for 5 years and intend to continue my work with them.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 22, 2016
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Pros
Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons
Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Outstanding
Operations Warrant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
Learned lots, travel lots and met excellent people throughout my entire time in the military. It was a life changing experience doing all the things I have done in the military. Time started to change and it was time to move on after 25 years.
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
Pros
Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons
Unending administrative work
Resource Management
Resource Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSApril 18, 2016
Administering Service Personnel as well as Civilians employees working for National Defence. Different locations in Canada and abroad depending the requirements for either operational or domestic aspect of military involved.
Pros
Travelling around the world
Cons
Long and tidious hours
Good Career opportunity for some
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
After 15 years of dedicated service, my body and family has had enough at this point. I've enjoyed my time serving to the fullest, but believe it is time for a change for both myself and my family.
Pros
Travel, dependable progression, benefits, comradery
Cons
War, conflicts, separation from loved ones for extended periods.
Procutive, face paced and an amazing experience
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  HQApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the Deputy Minister of National Defence. National Defence is an organization that welcomes you with open arms and you meet many VIP's along the way. I have worked here now for over a year and a half. I first worked at the Minister of National Defence, to the Associate Minister of National Defence to now the Deputy Minister. I enjoy my days when it is really busy and the days it isn't.
There was no life experience like it in Canada.
Bilingual Driver Wheeled Instructor/Examiner (Former Employee) –  Garrison PetawawaJanuary 27, 2016
Retired after 23 yrs of service on a medical release due to my left knee injury, the only regret I have was that my injury forced me into retirement before my time since I truly enjoyed my job and the people I was working with throughout my military career.
Pros
Great job with many challenges
Cons
Very hard physically
Benefit and job security is the best
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Meaford, ONJanuary 26, 2016
You have to be strong minded to work for the Military.
You learn to have leadership skills and developped a good working ethics.
Pros
have all the time for working out
A very good place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 15, 2016
A very good place to work, People are very nice, professional. I want to get a permanent position at DND as a Human Resources Assistant / Coordinator.
Pros
A very good place to work
Integration of an ERP system
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2016
-integration of SAP into the workforce as the new system software
-part of the team to train employees on how to use SAP
-write formal documentation and step by step processes for reference purposes on the government website
-solve test cases and trouble tickets
-challenging and complex ERP system
-extremely rewarding and purposeful position
Pros
rewarding and purposeful position
Cons
system disruption or malfunction at times

4.3