National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

Understaffed and can be very stressful at times due to the workload
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT CLERK (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 15, 2015
It is an 8-4 job that requires hard work and much dedication. We are always busy but the lack of getting information passed down in a timely fashion can be pretty frustrating. Good employee diversity and availability of courses and work days to be tasked to. Pay is not too bad but due to budget cuts from the federal government, we have not had a pay raise in two years.
Pros
Great support and educational benefits
Cons
Long hours and time away from family for training
Working with the Military
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MBDecember 17, 2015
I was in Gimli, MB working as an Operations Officer for 7 weeks. Along side 3 fellow officers we carried out the duty of making sure all cadets were where they needed to be at lights out and all through the night.
Pros
working overnights and salary
Cons
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONOctober 29, 2015
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
Pros
Lots of hockey
Cons
Writing many memos and evaluation reports
Great military experience
Video and Image Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2016
It's great being part of a team, learning off of each other, helping out with issues before letting others speak to a supervisor that might be trivial. Management its not the best, but work is work. There would be times when work gets switched from being done to redoing what has been done to a new method of doing things. Though, as long there is work, I pile through it.
Pros
Seasonal activities, charades, pictogram, order of the pie
There was no life experience like it in Canada.
Bilingual Driver Wheeled Instructor/Examiner (Former Employee) –  Garrison PetawawaJanuary 27, 2016
Retired after 23 yrs of service on a medical release due to my left knee injury, the only regret I have was that my injury forced me into retirement before my time since I truly enjoyed my job and the people I was working with throughout my military career.
Pros
Great job with many challenges
Cons
Very hard physically
Very enjoyable Atmosphere
Contract Services (Management) (Former Employee) –  CanadaJanuary 13, 2016
Every day was very busy, however, with the Training, Education and overall Team Work from Management down to the Dock Associates, and fellow peers, we've accomplished our daily task and brought smiles to our Customers with on time Deliveries.
Pros
Trainng, Education, Knowledge, Management Skill Level.
Cons
Nothing Negative
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Good place to be and a lot to learn from
Supply Proc & Analysis Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
Very unique environment to be working in, specially because of the nature of the work. Varies from national security work to data analysis inorder to provide information up the chain of command to improve the internal business processes. A lot of variety of work from IT, to Finance to Material Acquisition to Supply chain work. All the listed above including the management of public's funds and assets to the best value and outcome for Canada.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
long turn around time
Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
Pros
Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons
Unending administrative work
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJuly 28, 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Benefit and job security is the best
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Meaford, ONJanuary 26, 2016
You have to be strong minded to work for the Military.
You learn to have leadership skills and developped a good working ethics.
Pros
have all the time for working out
Cons
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 18, 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home
Procutive, face paced and an amazing experience
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  HQApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the Deputy Minister of National Defence. National Defence is an organization that welcomes you with open arms and you meet many VIP's along the way. I have worked here now for over a year and a half. I first worked at the Minister of National Defence, to the Associate Minister of National Defence to now the Deputy Minister. I enjoy my days when it is really busy and the days it isn't.
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 30, 2015
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Pros
Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons
Postings
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 22, 2016
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Pros
Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons
Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Hull, QCNovember 5, 2015
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Pros
everything
Cons
dungy basement
Integration of an ERP system
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2016
-integration of SAP into the workforce as the new system software
-part of the team to train employees on how to use SAP
-write formal documentation and step by step processes for reference purposes on the government website
-solve test cases and trouble tickets
-challenging and complex ERP system
-extremely rewarding and purposeful position
Pros
rewarding and purposeful position
Cons
system disruption or malfunction at times
Good Career opportunity for some
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
After 15 years of dedicated service, my body and family has had enough at this point. I've enjoyed my time serving to the fullest, but believe it is time for a change for both myself and my family.
Pros
Travel, dependable progression, benefits, comradery
Cons
War, conflicts, separation from loved ones for extended periods.
Was a life changing experience!
Materials Technician/Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work entailed doing physical training in the morning followed by doing your trade (MOC), for the rest of the day! There are other courses and training involved in a typical week! The best times were in the field, doing training which most people will never get to experience!

4.3