National Defence Employee Reviews

Stable and Confident Workplace.
TRAINING /ACCOMMODATIONS/FINANCIAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2017
Working with DND was stable and exciting at times. A very professional environment as well as focused. Being a civilian under a military environment at times could be taxing but rewarding at the same time. I would recommend anyone to try to establish a position for DND as I enjoyed myself during my time there.
Pros
Big on Pot Lucks
Cons
strick process
Love it or Hate it
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2017
The military can be a lot of fun but it depends on 2 things : your trade and your chain of command. Your trade will dictate pretty much how your lifestyle will be. Different branch (air force, navy and army) different lifestyle. Trades that you can do from an office/always outside.

Second, the guys responsible of you can make life pretty awesome or the worst job you will ever have.

the best thing you can do is ask a lot of questions to somebody that is in the trade you want or at the very least the branch you want. Ask lots of questions !!!
Pros
guarantee job (contract), pension, vacation
Cons
away from home (trade dependant), lots of bosses (people with a rank above you)
Busy
Flight Engineer Leader/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, NS15 February 2017
The operational tempo can be high but with this comes the opportunity to travel the world and apply a significant skillset in varied situations. Highly recommend a career with National Defence.
A great opportunity
Able Seaman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2017
I was only involved briefly as a naval reservist. However, in my brief time I learned skills and communication tools that I've carried throughout my Adult Life. I'd recommend the Military to almost anyone, particularly youth prior to entering the workforce.
Pros
A rewarding opportunity
Infantry
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Cornwallis, NS30 January 2017
During my career with the military, I was constantly challenged both physically and mentally and loved every minute of my time in uniform. Wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.
There's no life like it.
Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 January 2017
Being in the military has benefited me in ways that I can not even begin to explain.
I think everyone should do a three year term in the military.
Very structured environment - access to training. Great learning environment
Divisional Civilian HR Advisor - on assignment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2017
Work hard, play hard environment with a "Can Do" attitude. Great learning environment with emphasis on working as a team.
Pros
Free training
Soldier
Sergeant and honourably discharged (Former Employee) –  CFB Ottawa, North and foreign countries21 January 2017
The general duties that are required in protecting our country and that of other NATO countries when called upon to do so. Great place to work and a pension is forthcoming for all who stay in long enough.
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Loss of life sometimes
Physically intensive workplace, with lots of options for specialisation
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 January 2017
I did not actually enter the working body of the military, I only completed my training. I was enlisted as a reservist, seeking to balance civilian schooling and military work, which also turned out to be hardest part of the job and ultimately I decided I needed to fully commit to one or the other. The most enjoyable was learning the many skills I acquired in my training, which though many have little obvious application outside the military, they have helped greatly in learning many other skills.
Great camaraderie with coworkers. Great challenges , lots of sports opportunities
Communication Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON & Kingston, ON17 January 2017
Fitness training in the morning
Communication reaserch : interception, analysis, direction finding, jamming of signals (wether it was morse code, voice, satellite and encrypted messages)
Learn many skills like typing, Spanish, driving 1.5, 5 tones vehicles and armoured vehicles. First Aid. Weapons control and many other military skill.
Pros
Awesome teamwork. Traveling. Meeting friends from all over Canada
Cons
Gone away from home for a long time from home

Want to know more about National Defence?

Ask a question
Interesting career
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB15 January 2017
Arrive at work around 7:45. From 8 to 9 we had physical training. 9 to 10 was a shower and get change for work. The job is very slow and most days we did not do much.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Very bad work environment
Great place for physical training while getting paid.
Light Armoured Vehicle Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2017
Up early every day. Do your job and keep your mouth shut. Listen carefully to instructions. Best bunch of people I ever worked with. Sleep deprivation was probably the toughest, but the hallucinations were kinda cool. Most enjoyable had to be the toys that made noise.
Secure, advancement ops, diverse
Aviator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON9 January 2017
The Canadian Armed Forces is a working culture unique from all other working environments. It is one entity, but contains every trade known. As a PAT (personnel awaiting training), I work daily in the air hangar canteen. It is a nice, although strict, working environment.
Pros
secure job
Cons
strict timings
bin my most dependable and fair job.
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 January 2017
The day's we work vary a fair bit which is one of the good parts about the job. We function in a high stress environment were the slightest mistake will have some one killed or wounded. With that said a sens of hummer is one of the most important things to have.
Pros
The job has good security and I like the people I work with.
Cons
Exercises are predictable and noncompetitive.
Prison.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON4 January 2017
There is no more dishonest place I've ever seen. Jobs and promotions based on back-door deals. Crooked people on both the civilian and military side. Because of union, civilians are protected from such things as drug testing, which could easily be used by certain parties to compromise the security of the place. Find addicts and spouse cheaters common place around the base. The work culture features a bunch of people who end up hen-pecking each other until relationships are truly a game of Spy VS Spy. The amount of work accomplished compared to the amount of money spent is truly pathetic. 90% of it could be contracted out for cheaper.
Best job I had
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC/Cold Lake AB/Petawawa ON3 January 2017
The military was the best jobs that I had. There was comrodary. You enjoyed working with your coworkers. The military took very good care of you. And safety was not overlooked.
Pros
A great place to work
Cons
Cant really think of any
Great life experience
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 January 2017
There has to be some sort of balance between work and personal life. In general, having that sense of balance will improve job satisfaction among employees because they will feel that they’re not overlooking the other areas of their lives that are, if not more, important to them than work.
Pros
training
Cons
weather
Happy to work in the Military environment, teaching computer science to the student-officers of Canadian armed Forces.
University Professor (Former Employee) –  Richelain, QC23 December 2016
As University Professor - Grade 1, I taught DATA STRUCTURE,
DATA BASE (Network or Relational Database) along with
with Telecommunication.

I spent most of the time to write lessons, exercises, correct
excises, prepare examinations.

Nice to work with Canadian Armed Forces.
You will love and hate this job
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2016
This job is addictive. You will love everything you are doing one day and the next you will hate everything you've done to yourself for this. The Job/work ratio is weird. One you're not ever out of your job, you are your job.
Pros
Free lunches, free travel, fun, make friends for the rest of your life
Cons
Long hours, you will make enemies
I do not work specifically for the DND
Infantry Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2016
I do not work specifically for the DND. I work for the Canadian Army which is very much detached from the department of national defence.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3