National Defence

National Defence Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
There was no life experience like it in Canada.
Bilingual Driver Wheeled Instructor/Examiner (Former Employee), Garrison PetawawaJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Great job with many challenges
Cons: Very hard physically
Retired after 23 yrs of service on a medical release due to my left knee injury, the only regret I have was that my injury forced me into retirement before my time since I truly enjoyed my job and the people I was working with throughout my military career.
Benefit and job security is the best
Medical Technician (Current Employee), Meaford, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: have all the time for working out
Cons: long hours
You have to be strong minded to work for the Military.
You learn to have leadership skills and developped a good working ethics.
A very good place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: A very good place to work
Cons: None
A very good place to work, People are very nice, professional. I want to get a permanent position at DND as a Human Resources Assistant / Coordinator.
Integration of an ERP system
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: rewarding and purposeful position
Cons: system disruption or malfunction at times
-integration of SAP into the workforce as the new system software
-part of the team to train employees on how to use SAP
-write formal documentation and step by step processes for reference purposes on the government website
-solve test cases and trouble tickets
-challenging and complex ERP system
-extremely rewarding and purposeful position
Very enjoyable Atmosphere
Contract Services (Management) (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Trainng, Education, Knowledge, Management Skill Level.
Cons: Nothing Negative
Every day was very busy, however, with the Training, Education and overall Team Work from Management down to the Dock Associates, and fellow peers, we've accomplished our daily task and brought smiles to our Customers with on time Deliveries.
Great military experience
Video and Image Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Seasonal activities, charades, pictogram, order of the pie
It's great being part of a team, learning off of each other, helping out with issues before letting others speak to a supervisor that might be trivial. Management its not the best, but work is work. There would be times when work gets switched from being done to redoing what has been done to a new method of doing things. Though, as long there is work, I pile through it.
Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons: Hours can vary
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Working with the Military
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Gimli, MBDecember 17, 2015
Pros: working overnights and salary
Cons: long hours
I was in Gimli, MB working as an Operations Officer for 7 weeks. Along side 3 fellow officers we carried out the duty of making sure all cadets were where they needed to be at lights out and all through the night.
Understaffed and can be very stressful at times due to the workload
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT CLERK (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Great support and educational benefits
Cons: Long hours and time away from family for training
It is an 8-4 job that requires hard work and much dedication. We are always busy but the lack of getting information passed down in a timely fashion can be pretty frustrating. Good employee diversity and availability of courses and work days to be tasked to. Pay is not too bad but due to budget cuts from the federal government, we have not had a pay raise in two years.
Two Thumbs up
Stores Person (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 7, 2015
Great place to work for. Everyone involved takes real good care of you. You can feel the sense of teamwork at play everyday.
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons: Postings
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Very interesting job
Travel Cell Clerk (Current Employee), Hull, QCNovember 13, 2015
I am very happy to be able to work in a face pace environment. I work here on contract which doesn't give me a great salary but I like the people I work with.
The environment promoted focus and hard work
administrative assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
It was a great place to work. Since it was a dental clinic managed by military personnel,it was an environment focused on punctuality, hard work and fast pace work.
Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee), Hull, QCNovember 5, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: dungy basement
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 30, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: leaving family for months
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee), Trenton, ONOctober 29, 2015
Pros: Lots of hockey
Cons: Writing many memos and evaluation reports
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
I enjoyed working as a front desk clerk.
Accommodation Clerk (Former Employee), Borden, ONOctober 8, 2015
It was a good place to work, the staff were very good, I have made many friends. My supervisor was always available to answer my questions, and I was well trained.
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: difficult culture
Generally a good place to work, but difficult if you are new to military culture.
Each CFB is different with different managers and goals. I found it hard to enter into the culture.
In general, it is a good place that take fantastic care of our serving military members.
work ethics
Computer Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: great customer relation skills
Cons: area needs more work
I work hard everyday and when I come home I can actually say that I worked hard to get an honest days pay . These companies were great to work for , made may friends and a great atmosphere to work in .
Headquarters