National Defence Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Procutive, face paced and an amazing experience
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), HQApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the Deputy Minister of National Defence. National Defence is an organization that welcomes you with open arms and you meet many VIP's along the way. I have worked here now for over a year and a half. I first worked at the Minister of National Defence, to the Associate Minister of National Defence to now the Deputy Minister. I enjoy my days when it is really busy and the days it isn't.
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
Pros: Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons: Unending administrative work
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: benefits
Cons: moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONApril 22, 2016
Pros: Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons: Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Integration of an ERP system
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: rewarding and purposeful position
Cons: system disruption or malfunction at times
-integration of SAP into the workforce as the new system software
-part of the team to train employees on how to use SAP
-write formal documentation and step by step processes for reference purposes on the government website
-solve test cases and trouble tickets
-challenging and complex ERP system
-extremely rewarding and purposeful position
Great military experience
Video and Image Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Seasonal activities, charades, pictogram, order of the pie
It's great being part of a team, learning off of each other, helping out with issues before letting others speak to a supervisor that might be trivial. Management its not the best, but work is work. There would be times when work gets switched from being done to redoing what has been done to a new method of doing things. Though, as long there is work, I pile through it.
Good Career opportunity for some
Materials Technician (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Pros: Travel, dependable progression, benefits, comradery
Cons: War, conflicts, separation from loved ones for extended periods.
After 15 years of dedicated service, my body and family has had enough at this point. I've enjoyed my time serving to the fullest, but believe it is time for a change for both myself and my family.
There was no life experience like it in Canada.
Bilingual Driver Wheeled Instructor/Examiner (Former Employee), Garrison PetawawaJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Great job with many challenges
Cons: Very hard physically
Retired after 23 yrs of service on a medical release due to my left knee injury, the only regret I have was that my injury forced me into retirement before my time since I truly enjoyed my job and the people I was working with throughout my military career.
Understaffed and can be very stressful at times due to the workload
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT CLERK (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Great support and educational benefits
Cons: Long hours and time away from family for training
It is an 8-4 job that requires hard work and much dedication. We are always busy but the lack of getting information passed down in a timely fashion can be pretty frustrating. Good employee diversity and availability of courses and work days to be tasked to. Pay is not too bad but due to budget cuts from the federal government, we have not had a pay raise in two years.
Resource Management
Resource Management Clerk (Former Employee), Greenwood, NSApril 18, 2016
Pros: Travelling around the world
Cons: Long and tidious hours
Administering Service Personnel as well as Civilians employees working for National Defence. Different locations in Canada and abroad depending the requirements for either operational or domestic aspect of military involved.
Very enjoyable Atmosphere
Contract Services (Management) (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Trainng, Education, Knowledge, Management Skill Level.
Cons: Nothing Negative
Every day was very busy, however, with the Training, Education and overall Team Work from Management down to the Dock Associates, and fellow peers, we've accomplished our daily task and brought smiles to our Customers with on time Deliveries.
Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Regina, SKNovember 10, 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee), Trenton, ONOctober 29, 2015
Pros: Lots of hockey
Cons: Writing many memos and evaluation reports
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
Outstanding
Operations Warrant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
Learned lots, travel lots and met excellent people throughout my entire time in the military. It was a life changing experience doing all the things I have done in the military. Time started to change and it was time to move on after 25 years.
Working with the Military
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Gimli, MBDecember 17, 2015
Pros: working overnights and salary
Cons: long hours
I was in Gimli, MB working as an Operations Officer for 7 weeks. Along side 3 fellow officers we carried out the duty of making sure all cadets were where they needed to be at lights out and all through the night.
My best job ever
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 30, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: leaving family for months
Never a dull day, fast paced and crazy at times.. Seen the world more than once. I have friends I'll never forget from all over Canada, been out of the Navy for years but stay in contact with many of my old friends. being gone from my family for 6 months at a time was hard..Seeing the world
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee), Hull, QCNovember 5, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: dungy basement
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons: Postings
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Interactive Team Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay for what you do and focused on physical fitness
Cons: Hours can vary
Structured, disciplined approach to defense of the Country and international interests. Multi faceted and integrated team working towards common goals.
Benefit and job security is the best
Medical Technician (Current Employee), Meaford, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: have all the time for working out
Cons: long hours
You have to be strong minded to work for the Military.
You learn to have leadership skills and developped a good working ethics.
Headquarters