National Defence Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place at DND
Records Management Specialist – Contract (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 28, 2016
There is always work to be done. Learning new things is endless. Management is okay. My co-workers are great. My hardest part about my job is that I don't know if I am going to have a job after my contract is up. My most enjoyable part of my job would be working.
Productive and fun place with military and civilians!
Senior Costing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2016
A fantastic place to be employed, the synergy between military and civilian talent is brilliantly managed by the Senior Management.

I have grown as a Professional significantly, through well thought out and planned talent management and support systems.
Pros
Great people, environment and ethos
Cons
Concentration of jobs are in Ottawa
Great company to work for
IT Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Working at DND is like working with your extended family. Managers are interested in helping you succeed in your career.
Weekly status meetings are performed to ensure you can progress well in your project.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Slow to deliver projects
Great place to learn
Project Manager/ Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2016
I was able to grow professionally through training and experience. As well the benefits were incredible. The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant change as co workers left and new ones came it became increasingly harder to maintain continuity.
Medical Branch
Medical Branch (Former Employee) –  Canada wideJuly 27, 2016
Great if you require some direction yet military medical officer corp leadership needs to be developed. I witnessed too much harassment during my 25 plus years which military did not care to address when reported.

Plenty of opportunities for physical fitness and career development (courses). Military will pay for specialty training and will allow medical specialists opportunity to work at civilian hospitals.

Advancement system (PER) is antiquated and inconsistent as many who advance do so by networking rather than achievement.

Military has no hospitals and advanced clinical skill sets may be lost quickly unless you moonlight.

Requires a commitment to military prior to family.

Military forgets you (veteran) when you retire and takes forever to obtain answers to registered letters (> than 1 year).
Pros
education, travel, physical fitness, work with other cultures
Cons
culture of harassment, poor leadership at officer level
Rewarding if you are willing to sacrifice your own life
Imagery Technician (Photographer) (Current Employee) –  Quebec, QuebecJuly 20, 2016
If you want a job that pushes you to the limits the Military is the place to be. It will push you to work your hardest during busy periods and will push you to boredom during slow periods. Hurry up and wait should be the military motto.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Have to be willing to sacrifice your life, long deployments away from family, stressful environments
Proud to serve.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 4, 2016
The Military isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I hope it will advance my career goals to become a Police Officer. It can be tough, the days can be long, and if you enjoy being wet for 12 hours or more at a time, this is a great place to start. I've met some of my best friends here, and what started as a part time job as a reservist, has turned into a career. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love my country, I love our military, and I will spend the rest of my life serving in her Majesty's Army.
Pros
Changes your life, creates a stronger, better you.
Cons
REALLY long hours, and days.
Would do it all again
Telecommunications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2016
I enjoyed all 20 years of my service. would still be there, but had to get out to keep the family happy. I miss it and wish I could still be there.
Pros
Great all around
Cons
extended tours
Some peers are horrible, some are amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
If you have patience to work with people who harass you, then you'll have an excellent experience. Unfortunately, I encountered one person at the end of my career that spent two years making my life a living nightmare. It's a sad way to end my career with the Public Service. Oh well, the remainder of my career was amazing!!! As were the remainder of my peers!
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Discontents
Enjoyed welcoming and telling new members posted to YK about the North
Housing and Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time with DND. I felt it was time to move on to a new career. the main duty was to welcome new Military members to the North.
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 18, 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home
Great Place to work for
Compensation Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2016
great place to work for and would highly encourage people to apply as a civilian or military member
Typical hours for a civilian of work are 730-400 Monday to Friday, some shift work depending upon unit applying for
Was a life changing experience!
Materials Technician/Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work entailed doing physical training in the morning followed by doing your trade (MOC), for the rest of the day! There are other courses and training involved in a typical week! The best times were in the field, doing training which most people will never get to experience!
Challenging and Excellent
Computer Systems Technicican by Trade (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
You have the opportunity to do so many things; Meet all kinds of people, military and/or civilian.
Largest Dept. in the federal Government
Great people not so busy
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
People are great but the job is kinda boring at times.typical day is going to work and working out for an hour then sitting there till you get told to do something or not. then when you go in the field it's like camping with guns.
Great Research Experience for Students (FSWEP)
Research Assistant (FSWEP) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 6, 2016
Lots of opportunities for experience in writing and co-authering government reports as well as opportunities to assist with focus groups and other intitiatives.
Rewarding employment
1) Cadet Instructors Cadre Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton and VernonMay 5, 2016
I am a dedicated member of the cadet instructors Cadre and enjoy my time working with youth through that program. I have been a CIC officer for 5 years and intend to continue my work with them.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Fast Paced
Range Control Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 22, 2016
Its near impossible to have a typical routine, but I've been doing this a long time and would never change it for anything. The hardest part is being away from friends and family for months at a time. Its all worth it for the guy next to you, they are the best friends I have ever made.
Pros
Lots of time off for Annual leave
Cons
Months away from family on extremly short notice.
Outstanding
Operations Warrant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
Learned lots, travel lots and met excellent people throughout my entire time in the military. It was a life changing experience doing all the things I have done in the military. Time started to change and it was time to move on after 25 years.

4.3