National Defence

National Defence Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
DND
Middle Level Management (Current Employee), edmontonFebruary 22, 2015
It is a pleasure to work for your country and serve fellow Canadians. The military builds good discipline and team work. great atmosphere
Enjoyable life in the Canadian Forces
VARIOUS ADMINISTRATIVE CLERICAL POSITIONS (Former Employee), Inuvik, NTFebruary 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the Military. It was an adventure, living in different parts of Canada and overseas. Some of the people I worked with became life long friends. The work was always varied which kept you from becoming bored. I thoroughly recommend a life with the Military.
All in all, I enjoyed my tenure with the Department. They were always willing to teach anmd I was willing to learn
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: na
Enjoyed my work and the people who I worked for and with. Enjoyed the Team cohesion that produced a needed final product.
Wonderful work environment
Executive Coordinator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free parking
Wonderful work environment.

Days are busy, some more than others.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you see everyday and the feel of satistfaction of a job well done at the end of the day.
Challenging and Rewarding
Imagery Technician Public Affairs (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: travel, overseas experience
Cons: never paid for overtime when working 16 hour days for months on end.
There is no career more challenging or rewarding than to serve in the Forces, where Canadians take part in defending their country and participate in world events that will change their lives and the lives of the people they are helping.

The Forces offers outstanding debt-free education, as well as time-management and teamwork skills. The Forces is one of the only militaries in the world that ensures women are able to work in whatever job they choose.

What you learn from leadership (management) mainly is teamwork and have each others back, that no matter who the member (co-workers) is or where you work with or where they are stationed that working as a team is the most important to getting the mission done. The camaraderie and team spirit are considered by many members to be one of the main benefits of life in the military.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel the world, experience different cultures, meet new people, and use state-of-the-art equipment wherever they work.

Hardest part of the job is saying good bye to your loved ones and not able to tell them when you will be back, the long extensive times away from family, finding last minute childcare, stress of being away from family when they need you.

A typical day is rare in the military as one week it could be 7:30-3:30, then the following could be 5:30 until midnight or 3:00am for 5-30 straight with no time off. There is no consistency as emergencies come up.
work experience
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Trenton, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: driving and getting meal claims and free hotels, also to see different places
Cons: having hearing lost becasue i served over seas to protect and make peace for our country
I am a Canadian soldier and I do my best as to protect and serve my country. I love what I do. I love driving heavy equipment and going on the road with tractor trailer. I learnt how to do DI daily inspections on vehicles and learnt a lot of safety and how to handle equipment. I have had a few bosses and I have not complaint about any they treated me good and I did the same I also did what I was told. I worked with a lot of different people and I learnt things from them and I taught them things so that was a good part in my life. I been in the Canadian Forces since 2004. I did a tasking across Canada in 2010 and my job was to inspect all the air force base runways to see how much rubber built up was on the tar mat and if it needed to be removed and also the conditions of the runway. I went from BC to NL it was a great experience and seen a lot of different places. I did 2 tours in Afghanistan and my second tour was a little rough because I did experience hearing lost of certain tones and require to wear max ear protection around loud noises, I do have hearing aids and wear them when required and that being said I am getting medically released from the military because of this.
Mentally straining, but enjoyable.
Summer Camp Instructor/Leader (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free meals, free housing
Cons: away from family and friends, working all day
My typical day at work:
- Wake up, meet cadets for breakfast
- Teach classes, or prepare for future classes
- Physical training with cadets
- Make sure cadets eat lunch
- Teach classes or prepare for future classes
- Make sure cadets eat dinner
- Supervise cadets until they go to bed

The hardest part of my day is writing up lesson plans and making them interesting enough to hold the attention of the cadets.

The most enjoyable part of my day was teaching the cadets all about aviation and aerospace.
most enjoyable part of the job
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 1, 2015
Knowing that as a soldier, the awesome feeling of waking up everyday defending my country and everyone in it. I was proud to have served 22 years.
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 2, 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
Good pay but not a lot to do unless your fighting a war...
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: pay, guns, and that's about it.. pride maybe, wait, no...
Cons: far away from anything :( petawawa, on
Typical day was exercise for one hour starting at 8 am, go home shower and back for 10 am parade/inspection in uniform. Sit around all day in the company locker area with nothing to do. It got so bad some days they'd make us pull our clean weapons from the vault and clean them again.... Around 4 pm we'd form up in ranks and find out if we were leaving then or if we had to wait around for nothing a little longer. Glad I left... :)
Meeting new people and make new friends
Executive Administration, DND (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABNovember 27, 2014
I love my job, I loved learning new thing and be challenge. Working for DND is really different working in the civilian world. I loved it, I love different challenges
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2014
Pros: lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons: can be hard on family life.
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.
Terrible work life balance with very little support from Managers/Directors
Excecutive Secretary (Temporary Full-Time) (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABOctober 16, 2014
Would not recommend this position if you want a work family life balance job.
Productive and team playing work place
IT Administrative Assistant - CR 03 - (Contract) (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBOctober 15, 2014
I found working at the Department of National Defence to be a great place to work because everyone got along and worked well together.
I worked in several different departments of National Defence over the years because they were all contract work. Ninety days in a calendar year. I learned many different things over the years. From filing blue prints to photocopying, faxing, data entry, ordering supplies, year end reports and creating work orders.
The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it when my ninety days were up! I truly enjoyed working there and didn't want it to end!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesion amongst the co-workers. I truly felt like part of the team!
Good people to work with. Horror is a huge factor
Soldier (Former Employee), Sherbrooke,QCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: free food, paid gas, place to sleep
Cons: long crazy hours, wet conditions
Work can be complicated but its worth the experience and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I enjoy working hard to get somewhere, Its the whole point to work in a team to accomplish a real goal!
IR clerk
IR Clerk (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: structure
Cons: even though military members would leave for the day, i was to remain until the end of the day
In charge of meeting, gathering information and creating contracts between members and DND
OPs and training Warrant Officer
Field Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 21, 2014
•Assist the Officer Commanding (OC) in his command responsibilities so that the squadron (Sqn) achieves the operational and training objectives as tasked by the Commanding Officer (CO) 41 Combat Engineer Regiment.
•Advise and assist in the design, planning, resource and construction of various trg construction venues. This included defenses, observation posts, targets, accommodation buildings and compounds.
•Supervise the improvement of training area roads and combat road construction to include drainage and culverts.
•Coordinate all disciplinary matters concerning the Non Commissioned Members (NCM) of the Sqn. The SSM will prepare disciplinary files and organize Summary Trials at the Sqn level.
•Monitor daily routine of the Sqn to ensure Sqn NCMs are efficiently trained, lead and administered.
•Assist the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) in developing the Warrant Officers (WOs) and Senior NCMs by recommending challenging positions consistent with their developmental needs and Sqn requirements. The SSM will conduct professional development training as tasked or required to either the Sqn or the Regiment (Regt). The SSM will keep the SQN OC apprised of all matters concerning NCM development.
•Mentor Sqn WOs and NCOs with emphasis on the Troop WOs.
•Be the Combat Engineering technical expert in the Sqn and have a sound understanding for the detail of engineer task execution, equipment employment and resource requirements at the Sqn level.
•Command the Sqn Echelon as required.
•Apply and ensure the application of the CF Code of Ethics.
•Have a sound knowledge of the Service Support functions of the Regiment.
•Understudy the SSM and be acting SSM during absences.
•Train Field Engineer Troops for deployments and ensure all battle tasks standards have been accomplished to a high level of competency.
•Safety Advisor for the unit.
Being a part of a team was appreciated.
CR Clerk (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: friendly staff and team players
Cons: lack of work somedays
I was put on a workplace accommodation and sent to an office job. I was new to the clerical world and the ladies I worked for were very patient with me and taught me new things daily. Being on a military base the turnaround was big, but I adapted to the always changing environment. My co-workers always made me smile and I enjoyed working there. The hardest part of the job was not knowing my future and the possibility of returning to the kitchen (unit I did work at) caused great anxiety as I dealt with a toxic environment

I ended up resigning my position at DND and quit the public service.
It was a good place for me to start my career
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: good job security
Cons: military lifestyle
I joined right out of high school and the military provided me with, Discipline, professionalism, and motivation.

I started my career young as a equipment operator and have enjoyed it the entire time.
good summer, good money!
Orderly Room Clerk (Former Employee), Borden, ONAugust 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
i had a full summer worth of work, and i had a lot of fun. not much else to be said. thanks, DND

1 2 3 4 5

About National Defence

The Department of National Defence (French: Ministère de la Défense nationale), commonly abbreviated as DND, is – Read more

National Defence Photos