National Defence

National Defence Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good place to work
infantry (Former Employee), shilo manitobaApril 27, 2015
the army is a good place to work if you like adventure. The army has a lot of challenges for an individual to overcome.

Integrity duty leadership.
A Challenging and Interesting Place to Work
Director (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: The people you work with.
Cons: Not having the resources you need to get the job done properly.
The Canadian Forces will challenge you. Most days are different, and life is always interesting. You will work with the best Canadians you will ever meet, who are selfless, hard working and loyal. You can learn a trade, you will have friends for life, and the self respect that comes from doing something that matters. You will get to work with some high tech equipment, and physical fitness is a basic part of the job. There is always something to learn, and the demands will always be upon you. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government starves the CF for resources, and this can and will be frustrating the longer you serve. You will be expected to achieve your mission, but you will often be challenged by a lack of resources and token support by the Government. You will rarely have the best equipment, and rarely will you have enough help. The only thing that will consistently get you through is the quality of the people, which is the strength of the CF. On the surface, the pay and benefits are good, but moving around will reduce your earning power, and you will sometimes lose in Real Estate deals because you don't control the timing or location of your moves. You won't get rich or even wealthy being in the military, but you will live relatively comfortably.
Best People to work with
General office clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great comradeship
Cons: Contract was too short.
DND is the best place to work, knowing that you're working with people who have served the country and still are is very satisfying. You would be working with people who have no problem taking the time to make sure that you learn everything and succeed win your job or to teach you new skills that can help you move forward. People are great, and always read to smile and talk with you even when it's a bad day.
Fast paced workplace with dedicated staff
Senior Manager, Regulatory and Aboriginal Affairs (Current Employee), CalgaryApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good people
Cons: Salary is not equivalent to the responsibilities
lots of interaction with numerous people from all over the organization. We make a difference in the work we do to ensure compliance to law.
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great friendships
Cons: Lack of trades courses
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Very rewarding Career with great benefits
Canadian Forces (Current Employee), CanadaMarch 14, 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is an excellent rewarding career choice for those who like to travel,have a competitive steady income with room for career advancement.You will gain experience and life skills and professional and personal relationships.
I already wrote one out for this
Master Corporal (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2015
I already wrote one out for this and submitted it to your team for review.

If you could please take a look in your system, if one isn't found then I shall write one out.
Great experience with great people
Flight Instructor (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: very rewarding
Cons: long hours
Worked relatively long days, however they were fulfilling. Your students go from ab-initio (completely new) to a qualified pilot in approximately six week under your instruction. There is something very rewarding about that.
DND
Middle Level Management (Current Employee), edmontonFebruary 22, 2015
It is a pleasure to work for your country and serve fellow Canadians. The military builds good discipline and team work. great atmosphere
Enjoyable life in the Canadian Forces
VARIOUS ADMINISTRATIVE CLERICAL POSITIONS (Former Employee), Inuvik, NTFebruary 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the Military. It was an adventure, living in different parts of Canada and overseas. Some of the people I worked with became life long friends. The work was always varied which kept you from becoming bored. I thoroughly recommend a life with the Military.
All in all, I enjoyed my tenure with the Department. They were always willing to teach anmd I was willing to learn
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: na
Enjoyed my work and the people who I worked for and with. Enjoyed the Team cohesion that produced a needed final product.
Wonderful work environment
Executive Coordinator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free parking
Wonderful work environment.

Days are busy, some more than others.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you see everyday and the feel of satistfaction of a job well done at the end of the day.
Challenging and Rewarding
Imagery Technician Public Affairs (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: travel, overseas experience
Cons: never paid for overtime when working 16 hour days for months on end.
There is no career more challenging or rewarding than to serve in the Forces, where Canadians take part in defending their country and participate in world events that will change their lives and the lives of the people they are helping.

The Forces offers outstanding debt-free education, as well as time-management and teamwork skills. The Forces is one of the only militaries in the world that ensures women are able to work in whatever job they choose.

What you learn from leadership (management) mainly is teamwork and have each others back, that no matter who the member (co-workers) is or where you work with or where they are stationed that working as a team is the most important to getting the mission done. The camaraderie and team spirit are considered by many members to be one of the main benefits of life in the military.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel the world, experience different cultures, meet new people, and use state-of-the-art equipment wherever they work.

Hardest part of the job is saying good bye to your loved ones and not able to tell them when you will be back, the long extensive times away from family, finding last minute childcare, stress of being away from family when they need you.

A typical day is rare in the military as one week it could be 7:30-3:30, then the following could be 5:30 until midnight or 3:00am for 5-30 straight with no time off. There is no consistency as emergencies come up.
work experience
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Trenton, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: driving and getting meal claims and free hotels, also to see different places
Cons: having hearing lost becasue i served over seas to protect and make peace for our country
I am a Canadian soldier and I do my best as to protect and serve my country. I love what I do. I love driving heavy equipment and going on the road with tractor trailer. I learnt how to do DI daily inspections on vehicles and learnt a lot of safety and how to handle equipment. I have had a few bosses and I have not complaint about any they treated me good and I did the same I also did what I was told. I worked with a lot of different people and I learnt things from them and I taught them things so that was a good part in my life. I been in the Canadian Forces since 2004. I did a tasking across Canada in 2010 and my job was to inspect all the air force base runways to see how much rubber built up was on the tar mat and if it needed to be removed and also the conditions of the runway. I went from BC to NL it was a great experience and seen a lot of different places. I did 2 tours in Afghanistan and my second tour was a little rough because I did experience hearing lost of certain tones and require to wear max ear protection around loud noises, I do have hearing aids and wear them when required and that being said I am getting medically released from the military because of this.
Mentally straining, but enjoyable.
Summer Camp Instructor/Leader (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free meals, free housing
Cons: away from family and friends, working all day
My typical day at work:
- Wake up, meet cadets for breakfast
- Teach classes, or prepare for future classes
- Physical training with cadets
- Make sure cadets eat lunch
- Teach classes or prepare for future classes
- Make sure cadets eat dinner
- Supervise cadets until they go to bed

The hardest part of my day is writing up lesson plans and making them interesting enough to hold the attention of the cadets.

The most enjoyable part of my day was teaching the cadets all about aviation and aerospace.
most enjoyable part of the job
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 1, 2015
Knowing that as a soldier, the awesome feeling of waking up everyday defending my country and everyone in it. I was proud to have served 22 years.
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 2, 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
Good pay but not a lot to do unless your fighting a war...
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: pay, guns, and that's about it.. pride maybe, wait, no...
Cons: far away from anything :( petawawa, on
Typical day was exercise for one hour starting at 8 am, go home shower and back for 10 am parade/inspection in uniform. Sit around all day in the company locker area with nothing to do. It got so bad some days they'd make us pull our clean weapons from the vault and clean them again.... Around 4 pm we'd form up in ranks and find out if we were leaving then or if we had to wait around for nothing a little longer. Glad I left... :)
Meeting new people and make new friends
Executive Administration, DND (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABNovember 27, 2014
I love my job, I loved learning new thing and be challenge. Working for DND is really different working in the civilian world. I loved it, I love different challenges
DND - Alot of hard work that pays off. Great people.
Naval Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2014
Pros: lots of career fulfillment - you're the determining factor.
Cons: can be hard on family life.
I was and always have been treated very well by DND People are great to work with and are friends for life. It can be hard at times but very fulfilling. What I liked is:

Clear cut goals
Clear cut assignments
Very good family and life balance

DND is a crown corp and it looks after its employees very, very well.

Overall very, very good.

1 2 3 4 5

About National Defence

The Department of National Defence (French: Ministère de la Défense nationale), commonly abbreviated as DND, is – Read more

National Defence Photos

with general zim at chaplain conference
SENATE OF CANADA, PROTECTIVE SERVICE, CORPORAL, PROTECTIVE OPERATIONS