National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Good friends
Good job
Good business

Livin' the dream
Hard people doing hard work
With plenty of good times in between.
Pros
Government
I do not work specifically for the DND
Infantry Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2016
I do not work specifically for the DND. I work for the Canadian Army which is very much detached from the department of national defence.
Where I work
Signaler (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 January 2017
I work for the army as a signaler.

Once a week we organize and test equipment. Usually once a month we go outdoors on exercises.

I've learned basic military training.
productive and energetic workplace
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
Been with DND since 1999, loved it since day 1 never looked back! great supervisors/coworkers wonderful schedule and work atmosphere.
Life is great
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Various27 December 2016
Good job,great pay for the work done though at times work can be hard. Very rewarding and a lot of the stuff that you get to do you can only do with them.
Loved it
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC7 November 2016
Loved working with the Canadian Forces. Its tough and not for everyone. If you're interested, grow a second pair of skin because you'll need it once the first layer breaks.
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 November 2015
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Pros
Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons
Postings
Ok
Officer, Army Reserves (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 December 2016
It's not too bad. Getting things done takes forever. You have to jump through hoops to get anywhere and get the results you're looking for.
Great Experience !
Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 December 2013
Teamwork and cohesiveness of a culture that promotes team spirit or "esprit de corps" makes for an amazing sense of belonging in any activity performed. The intense need for strong leadership is definitely a significant character in this organization. If your skills are weak in that department, believe me, it will be very well improved in a very short period.
However, the advancement of a technically educated personnel could be noticeably slower than that of many of that in the private/non-governmental sector. To get to the edge of technology, engineering and state-of-the-art equipment, it would better to be on the contracted end.
Pros
Leadership skills, Team Spirit, benifits, job security.
Cons
Slow enhancement, high risk and heavy danger, below average compensation.
Reserves
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2017
Currently posted to 4RCR in London Ontario during school. Use to be apart of the Lorne Scotts Infrantry Unit in Georgetown Ontario.
Its not for everyone, but anyone that is strong minded can do it.
Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada28 September 2016
Just like the summary says. It isn't for everyone but if you believe in yourself, you can achieve a lot in the Armed Forces. Work smarter NOT harder. HUA!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS14 October 2016
Working for the CO of Wing Ops was a very rewarding experience. I was honoured to have worked with many great colleagues.
Stores Person (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB23 January 2014
I served 28 years with the National Defense and had to take an early medical retirement due to stress and anxiety.
The job was great but we do not get recognized for what we do, There are no promotions as civilians are not allowed to be supervisors unless you are a special person. There is a lot of favoritism and for those of us that have been there for years well you have to be in the favorites file. With all the cutbacks it is a higher demand for more work and less help. Civilians have no say so in the work place which is upsetting as we are the ones who are at the workplace at all times. The military put in an average of 25 to 30 hours work as week and we put in 40 hours a week and have to make up for the military while they are on various other duties, It is very hard and stressfull.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lots of stress
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia28 July 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Stressful environment
Movements Officer (Former Employee) –  RCSU (Pac) - Victoria28 March 2013
Due to cutbacks you find there is no balance between work and home life. Everyone is expected to do more with less and unfortunately each member is stressed to the maximum.
I worked with a great team who would stab you in the back at the drop of a hat to make themselves look good or to save their face. I have been with DND for 12 years. In that time I have been bullied, abused, harassed and court martialled and then told I was not qualified to do the job I have been doing for the past 10 years yet, I have all my course reports that say I was doing an incredible job, I was an asset to the office etc.
Best part of the job was working with the Cadets. They are our future and if you could spend a small amount of time with each individual you would find that we are going to be okay. They are bright, intelligent and have incredible ideas about how to save our planet.. They are the reason I stayed in the military as long as I did.
Pros
great salary
Cons
long hours 14-16 hour days 7 days a week
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2014
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Great Job
Canadian Fleet Pacific Coastal Division Unit Chief (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 March 2014
Always changing environments with challenges ranging from easy to complex. I had to supervise a very diverse group of people in extremely challenging circumstances and environments. Responsible for personnel management, personnel safety, equipment repair and operations, instruction and supervising of personnel and equipment. Quite often in a high stress situation while trying to complete all tasks on time and safely.
Pros
Very high energy job with many benefits, Always learning new skills and adapting them to work in any scenario.
Cons
Could be away from home for long periods.
Health Admin Officer
STAFF OFFICER TO COMMANDING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 November 2012
Ensured administration was completed accurately and on-time for senior staff in an organization of 300 military and civilian staff. Dealt with sensitive and confidential info on a daily basis.
The hardest part was dealing with difficult staff or patients. This required a lot of tact, empathy and diplomacy.
The most enjoyable part was interacting in a multi-disciplanary team setting consisting of doctors, nurses, and other medical professional staff.
Pros
lots of holiday time and free medical benefits.
Cons
long hours and not much free time.
Very interesting job
Travel Cell Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hull, QC13 November 2015
I am very happy to be able to work in a face pace environment. I work here on contract which doesn't give me a great salary but I like the people I work with.
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB18 May 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home

4.3