National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Found 1,188 reviews matching the search
outstanding experience
Retired Warrant Officer / Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  All over Canada and Overseas11 July 2017
The Canadian military offers great opportunity, development, training and experience.

22 years of service proved to be the best years of my life team spirit, training, overseas deployment.

THERE IS NO LIFE LIKE IT :-)
Pros
Life experience
great job
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 July 2017
a great part time job and very proud to do it. the work can be tough but fun at the same time. I obtain many skills from the job that can be applicable to other jobs
Fun, team environment workplace
Arena/Outdoor Facilities Manager - PSP (Former Employee) –  Shearwater, NS6 July 2017
Managed 12-15 employees. Responsible for recreational facility management and Fitness and Sports of the Canadian Military. Our workplace worked very close to one another and each position required others to help make our jobs successful. Without being an actual member of the Canadian Forces we were still very close with the members making us feel like a family. Hardest part of the job was a majority of the time having our company ran "military style." Lower level employees voices were often ignored and placed in different categories. I was the type of manager who would involve all of my employees in brainstorm discussions in order to make the workplace better each and every day. It created a very healthy and fun environment to work in.
Pros
Cons
Job security due to government cutbacks
Great place to work.
Signals Shop (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB5 July 2017
I learned how to be independent. the hardest part of the job is field exercises, the most enjoyable part of the job is the accomplishments that you are able to complete in such a tight schedule.
It was a great experience.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON27 June 2017
Joined right out of high school. They taught me how to organise my self and kept me in line. I had a great time met some amazing people and the training was awesome.
Great place to work. Busy environment
Kitchen Worker (Current Employee) –  Suffield, AB27 June 2017
Great job.. Great Benefits but pay system Phoenix makes it hard to work there..You work lots of over time and never no if your going to get paid. Management in this work place is always changing and these new people make changes when they come in so makes it hard for workers to know if job is correct or not. Supervisor also change lots and the rules are not unforced the same for everyone. Each supervisor has different views on how things should be done. I would continue working there but do to family matters I have decided to move back home to NFLD to continue my career
Pros
Payroll
Cons
Lots of hours..
Push your limits
Technicien d'Armement (Former Employee) –  St-Hubert, QC27 June 2017
Very large scale teams
Very hard discipline
Lots of opportunities
You can see the world
It's like a big family
Shows you really where your limits are
If you were not a man before than with the army you will become one fast
Pros
Lots of support
Cons
Fatigue
Caf
Plumbing and Heating Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
I have been with the Canadian Forces for almost 18 years. There really isn't a typical day at work, because you never really know what you will be dealing with. I've learned so much over the years, whether it was team work, hardship, supervising, learning to adapt to any situation at any given time, and many others. Management is vey important. If you lose control, issues will happen. Hardest part of being a solider is time away from your family. Most enjoyable part is the comradery, and serving my Country.
Pros
Serving Canada
Cons
Being away from Family members
Good for Single People
Corporal in the Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB22 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the CAF. If i was single I would stay in for life. Lot of opportunities, experience gained. Now I have kids and want to be home with them. The military is not conducive with a stable home life.
i was a driver in the forces and enjoyed it
Mobile Support Operator (Former Employee) –  new brunswick and ontario20 June 2017
everyday was something new and challenging, the job will take you all over the country and the world and you will see and try new things as well. you will receive training for everything you need to know and do for your job and as new equipment is presented you will be trained right away.
It's the Army
Heavy Equipment Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Various Locations20 June 2017
It takes a full time dedication to be successful. Long hours, hard conditions. Good pay and a pension. Time off is excellent and you learn your trade while getting paid for it.
Awesome Very Fun Job
AIR CADET SUMMER TRAINING CENTER STAFF (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MB19 June 2017
I learned how to do inventory, work security, canteen sales, and much more. The management was fairly relaxed and you always knew what was going on around you. My job was to run and maintain the cadet canteen during the evenings and do security sweeps and bed checks at night. The hardest part was when the older course cadets were acting up and not following orders because they didn't respect you. Overall I loved the job the other staff was awesome and the off time was fun.
Pros
short hours, good pay, and awesome people.
Cons
no time to go home you are there for 7 weeks straight.
Good benefit, Good career progression
I. Recruiting Officer (1st Field Regiment) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 June 2017
I am currently a member of the reserve forces and was first in the regular force. The training was good and paid well. Although when i was at RMC pay was low.
National Defence contractor
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 June 2017
Purchase of weaponized unmanned combat aerial vehicles UAV. Purchase was made to provide troops with aerial support for defence and offence. I am limited by the official secrets act on how much information I can talk about.
Pros
exciting
Cons
ehausting
fun place
Computer tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON17 June 2017
My experience working for arm forces was totally remarkable.I learned so much about the military and procedures. How they do things the officers are a great. The job is hard work but a very fun place to work and you form some great relationships.
Pros
all good
Awst
Tool Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Quebec17 June 2017
Currently working for the Royal Canadian Air Force as an air weapons system technician. The trade provides excellent work/life balance, management and work culture.
Pros
Work-Life Balance, Salary, Benefits, Culture, Management
Cons
Far from home and family
Canadian Forces Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer, Canadian Forces Bases (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC16 June 2017
For over three decades, they showed me an enormous information about how to build, maintain, and inspect our projects. For instance, I designed and built bridges, but I also completed my bridge inspector course and even taught it. I also dorve dump trucks to build roads at CFB Dundurn.in Saskatchewan. we built four roads there while working twelve hour shifts.
Pros
Free meals while away from our home units
Cons
Very long hours - up to 72 hours straight
Factory work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 June 2017
Working in a factory can be tough and hard on the body. Its not something that I would recommend to someone who has better choices and other options. It can be very exhausting.
Productive and Fun
Musician (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 June 2017
Great opportunities and great friendships. You learn so much about yourself and others.

Great career advancement and job security. You won't regret it!
Pros
Friends
Loved the army
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL13 June 2017
i was released from the army due to my own request i found it too strenuous on my previous injuries but i really miss it and i loved the work my company my commanding officers all of it.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
very difficult

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3