National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Enjoyable FSWEP Student Experience
Junior Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
Being that it was the first time working for the Government, I really enjoyed being here and learning so many skills and working with a supportive and friendly team. I learned many new things about the government and national defense which I will use for my career in the future, to be an aspiring social worker in the military.
Pros
Flexible work Hours
Cons
Phoenix Pay System
Awesome part time job
Army Reserve Crew Man (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 April 2017
Its like no other job. I've learned so much about leadership, combat, teamwork and how to use all kinds of weaponry. There is always great leaders and the help to develop everyone to be better. Best Job I've ever had.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the country
Cons
Never enough sleep.
Supply technician
Supply Technician / Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
Go to work run about n10k then do warehouse work like costumer services, repair and disposal, play hockey than council people with addiction issues and or PTSD.
not what i thought it to be
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2017
It was fun and I enjoyed it, but pay was not enough and it was taking away from my life outside of the military. I learned a lot about the content, I liked working with guns and doing the training. I did not enjoy how it changed my attitude towards others. Staff was alright.
Gone a lot
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
Good place if you like being away all the time with no family life especially the combat arms trades. Met a lot of good people during my time there. Good benefits.
Good job security and benefits, not a good place to raise a family
Artilleryman (Former Employee) –  Ontario & Manitoba3 March 2017
Top-of-the-line benefits, really good job security that is not dependent on the stability of the economy. Feedom to do lots of new and exciting things, outside your job title. Good supports in all aspects of one's life is available . Long hours, lots of time spent away from family and friends Not a good environment to raise a family.
Pros
lots of support, whatever you need, you will have it
Cons
Long hours, lots of time away from home
embedded contractor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 March 2017
I found dnd to be a good place to work . Great group of people to correspond with . Everything ran smooth for the better part . Renewing contracts is a political battle is the only downfall .
Pros
Consistancy
Cons
Contract employment
Fun moments but difficult life
2 Field Ambulance, Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON1 March 2017
The CAF was great career and lots of opportunities for advancement. Pay and benefits are very good. Also, the people that you meet in the CAF are amazing as well. Hardest part of the job is the time away from home.
Wide variety of experiences, great job security
Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Various25 February 2017
25 years with DND/CAF. Very rewarding position / experiences. Extremely busy with heavy demands (i.e. operational deployments). Good salary, great benefits - positive culture.
Pros
Compensation and benefits, job security
Cons
frequent moves
Challenging, but rewarding environment
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 February 2017
The military offers a unique work experience which requires a support system and dedication. There are many benefits, such as health care, dental care, family health insurance, paid vacation, etc. As well, the opportunity to travel to various places domestic and international.
On the flip side, it means having to leave your family for extended period of times, sometimes going to dangerous environments, being an intergral part of a heirarchy and living by a specif set of rules and regulations (obviously including those established by civilian law authorities).
Pros
Diverse work environment, challenging, advancement options
Cons
Leaving family for extended periods of time, potention for dangerous situations
un emploi de toute les couleurs
Vehicule tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
le dépassement de soi, le travail d'équipe et le proffessionnalisme est de mise dans ce choix de carriere.
Pros
avantages sociaux, défis, estime de soi
Cons
éloigné des proches et famille
great people bad management
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON17 February 2017
busy
how to be a firefighter
some good others shouldn't be in there position at all
very good it is a second family
putting up with stupidity of a boss that should be there
helping others
A unique career experience
Commissioned officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
When I am asked why I joined the military or what I like about the army, I provide these general observations from close to 20 years of work experience in part-time and full-time capacities. I joined to learn and develop leadership and managerial skills. At the outset, I really did not have a good idea what that meant; only that it sounded very impressive and would hopefully give me a “leg-up” with respect to finding a civilian career. Over time, I found that the military offered aspects that I know I would not have gained elsewhere. I am confident in writing this because I have worked in both worlds and in part-time and full-time capacities. The military gives its people opportunities to learn through trial-and-error as well as through classical teaching environments, under very good guidance of experienced mentors. In effect, it’s like undergoing an apprenticeship. Most leaders, especially at the unit level, take great interest and pride in developing their subordinates and this attitude is prevalent throughout the military. As well, there are opportunities for travel, be it an actual deployment overseas or within the country. That is not to give the impression that by “travel”, I refer to tourism. By “travel”, I mean work-related. Regardless, the ability to experience an environment much different from where you grew up and to be placed in situations outside of your comfort zone, helps to develop your character as well as learn more about yourself and your limitations. There are also opportunities to actually work in another country for up to 3 years and competition for these  more... billets are highly competitive, but still possible.

However, it is not all peaches and cream. Getting a position in the military is not as simple as doing well on a job interview. You must be prepared to undergo one or several interviews, several tests (medical, fitness, and aptitude) and depending on your identified trade, a further selection process. On top of that, once you have been offered a contract, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have the job. Everyone selected for the military must pass the basic training phase followed by the actual trade qualification courses. If you are unsuccessful, the military will attempt to find an alternative trade for you. If that doesn’t pan out, you will need to find another line of work. As with any organization, there are down sides. You could find yourself with a bad boss or involved in personality clashes; but, this sort of thing can happen anywhere. What is not generic is the greater possibility of being involved in extreme violent situations (mainly combat or terrorist-related incidents) as well as witnessing colleagues afflicted with PTSD. Or perhaps you could be the one as well. Some trades demand much physical strength and stamina and I have seen several soldiers who, after years of grinding it out in the field and on operations, receive permanent injuries that require a release from the military. Another downside is administrative bureaucracy. The military is a government institution, after all, and is no stranger to bureaucratic red-tape. Patience and understanding is a key to coping with this, but it can be very frustrating. Another disadvantage, if you are full-time, is loss of control over your work location. Active duty members are normally transferred around the country every 2-3 years. If you are single with no major commitments, it’s fine. But periodic moves are hard on a family, especially if the spouse has a job or career of his / her own and the children are in high school, where they likely have formed lasting friendships. You can refuse to move, but eventually your career advancement will halt.

The pay is very generous and that does not include various entitlements. Considering what I do, which is essentially administrative work, I must confess to being overpaid. A similar position in the civilian industry would likely offer nearly $40,000 less, so I consider myself fortunate. Still, in the end, you need to ask yourself if money is the main priority in your career search. I’ve followed the greenback throughout my working life and, sadly, I am no better off than when I was in school. I have no real marketable hard skills and no marketable qualifications; at least, ones that are recognized in the civilian world. The experiences are priceless, both good and bad, and they’ve helped me to learn about myself. If you are contemplating the military, I would say “Yes. Serve and be a better person for it”. But, I would caution you to choose a trade wisely with the long-term view of finding something that is easily marketable beyond the military. Alternatively, serve for a short period; you’ll still make a contribution to the greater good.
Pros
Generous pay and benefits, unique life experiences
Cons
Long hours, periodic re-location, "Up or Out" career path
Good opportunities for advancement and travel
Flight Engineer Leader (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia15 February 2017
Being employed in the Canadian Armed Forces has been an incredibly rewarding experience. The training throughout a career is second to none and the opportunities for continual improvement and development are plentiful.
Challenging but Fun
Retired Rank of Sergeant (Former Employee) –  4 Wing Cold Lake Alberta13 February 2017
Over a period of 20 Yrs, things changed dramatically with every promotion. You learn to adapt to any situation, and overcome the obstacle and move fwd. For any young man or woman who really is not sure on which way to go in life,, I suggest the Canadian Forces to help you through the process.
Benefits
Cons
Posted away from friends and Family, Long deployments to bad places.
Travel, Interesting courses and interesting people
NCI Op (Former Employee) –  Esquimalt, BC13 February 2017
The pay is decent but you will work for every penny you get. Job life depends 100% on your fellow service members and your current superiors. It can be amazing, and it can be a grind. It is what you make it.
Pros
training, life experiance
Cons
long hours, can be hard on home life
Overall good organization
HMCS Cabot - Leading Seaman (Current Employee) –  Various9 February 2017
valuable skills and knowledge learned , was an overall good experience and would recommend to others . Good courses and meaningful employment
Effective worker open to new adventures
Regimental Sergeant Major (Current Employee) –  Cote des Neiges, Montreal6 February 2017
I give my 100% in all tasks I am assigned.I like a harmonious work environment, focused on task completion in a timely manner. Through a vast experience in the military, I excel in difficult situations and take timely decision keeping in mind the best interest of the company and other parties involved. I have conducted several personnel investigations based on disciplinary deficiencies and always submit my reports in a timely, well documented report.
Pros
Operational challenges
Cons
Revolving personnel
Needed advancements in how mental illness is treated and diagnosed
EME (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 February 2017
The current military mentality is to medicate to keep people in the ranks and to prevent a release rather than diagnosing and treating the actual issue. Even those with combat experience are chucked to the curb (or most commit suicide) if they prove to be too "cumbersome" as "patients".

There is a real epidemic on the bases, far too many people take their own lives even after seeking help simply because of the way the MIR handles their patients. Those who show any sign of mental illness are often met with skepticism or just aren't provided the amount of help they both deserve and need.

This isn't always the case of course, but it happens far more often than it should,
Pros
Fixed Salary
Cons
Fixed Salary
Good Experience
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
A good place to grow yourself. Lots of chances for personal growth and to advance your education. Use this as a way to travel and see places you would never go to normally.
Pros
Education, travel
Cons
Long periods from home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3