National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Dnd - psp
Bar Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON27 November 2017
Nice place to work. Depending on time of year you might be busy. Summer months very quite.
Everyone there is so nice to work with, you feel very much apart of a team.
great experience
Boatswain (Former Employee) –  CFB ESQUIMALT, CFB BORDEN27 November 2017
My life with the military was a great life experience . i had the opportunity to travel around the world and experience cultures i would normally not have the opportunity to do any where else. I was always given challenges through out my career to make me a better soldier / sailor .i had the opportunity to learn so much during my service time.
Pros
travel, life experiences
Cons
away from home for long periods of time
Work hard, play hard
Armoured Reconnaisance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2017
Amazing opportunity for growth and experience, but can easily get frustrating as it is a government organization which moves and changes very slowly.

Simultaneously the worst and best times of your life
the military family
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2017
I enjoyed my time in the military and as I rose in rank, I wanted to impart my gained knowledge to my subordinates and carried that into my civilian work life.
Pros
all aspects of the military-training
Cons
sometimes had to be away but it was always worth it.
Great learning experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 November 2017
Joined the military to see the world and learn a trade in electronics. As the years progressed and technology became more expanded so did my training and then led me into the IT industry. Retired from the military after 23 years.
Pros
See the world and get an education
Cons
Poor pay and long hours
Learned a lot
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2017
I completed my initial engagement in the Canadian Armed forces (Army branch). Was fortunate to have opportunities to learn skills and travel abroad doing good work. Was not a long term career path for me.
Pros
Adventure
Cons
Unpredictable
Managment
Military Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2017
Managment only cared about self-advancement. They would throw subordinates under the bus if it would get them higher up in the ranks. The hardest part of the job was trying to get up the ranks without throwing your teammates under the bus
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Long hard hours
Rewarding job
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Various20 November 2017
Experiences may vary, and depend entirely on the quality of your leaders. If you put in effort and learn all you can, it is a great place to work.

The workplace still has a long way to go in reducing, and dealing with harassment.
Alright place to work
(CAF) Construction Engineering Officer (Former Employee) –  Ontario18 November 2017
It was the people I served with not the institution itself that made for a good working environment. While providing good education and job experience the organization is limited in its progressive ability.
Excellent Career, but can be very chalenging
Financial Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 November 2017
I have enjoyed the Military life and would recommend it to anyone, but it can be very demanding on your personal life. You would have to move every4-7 years depending your job. You must be very committed to the Military lifestyle.
Pros
Medical Benefits, 5 weeks paid leave
Cons
Very demanding on your personal life.
travel
Soilder,Medic,Chef (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 November 2017
Up 500am prepare breakfast ,700 cleanup 1000 soup for 55 persons 1200 lunch 1430 clenup 1730 Supper 55 person , 1930 Man overboard trainging at rough Sea , Trainging First Aid 2200 Sleep and then do it again the next day, Being at sea is one thing cooking at sea is somthing else ,workday is 16 hrs plus ,down time is little , the travel is nicebenifits are nice
Pros
people $$ travel
Cons
365 days a year, timeoff was tough to get always sailing
very fun yet very demanding
Military Personnel (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC15 November 2017
If you like eating your meals in less than 5 minutes and sleeping with your eyes open this is the job for you!! congratulations you are now sleep deprived and are away from your family all the time but there are amazing benefits
Pros
very fun, amazing benefits
Cons
long hours long time away from home
There's no Life Like it
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baden-Württemberg13 November 2017
Challenging, enlightening,, camaraderie and commitment .Working as a brotherhood for defence and Lively hood.
Quality Leadership.
Knowing your neighbor has got your Back.
Constant Travelling away from Family.
The most enjoyable Part is getting to know yourself and your limitations.
Pros
Leadership, Personal Growth, and advancement.
Staff Officer - Naval Architecture (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 November 2017
not interested in this part. This has already taken more than the sixty seconds that was advertised at the beginning of the survey, and is misleading
N/a
Armoured Crewman (Reservist-Part time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Has good days and bad. The leadership across the board needs work to build and more conducive and healthy working environment. Things are said to keep troops happy and then fall through
Pros
free lunches if you work full time ( Some places)
Cons
The training budget is nearly nothing. We dont get any shooting time to practice.
Amazing Time
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON9 November 2017
Worked with some very smart and hard working people, Met a lot of connections and learned a great deal in web development. Love this place, would work there any day of the week.
As stable work environment
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  CFB Borden7 November 2017
A good starting career, but very demanding on the body. Definitely a career for the younger generation. While a pension is possible, the 25 years makes it very hard to reach that possiblity.
Uptight Management
BPC Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2017
Depending on where you work can have different experiences in DND. As a contractor you have to take lunches between 12 and 1. No accommodation is given otherwise. You're washroom breaks are sort of monitored as well.. Their pay is better than other departments however its a rigid culture.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Uptight and Micromanagement
Trustworthy, Hard but honest work
Item Organizer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2017
I worked hard and saw the results, on my feet 8 hours a day organizing and transferring items. My boss was incredible nice and worked hard to make me feel welcome and accepted.
Fun lifestyle.
Combat arms soldier (Former Employee) –  Canada, Europe3 November 2017
Very adventurous lifestyle, with many challenges. A lot of new experiences offered only in the military. Pay wasn't the best, long term opportunities very limited.
Pros
Adventurous lifestyle
Cons
Salary wasn't the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3