National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Best Camp Out
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC6 November 2016
If you love camping this is the job for you. This career will bring you many rewards including: Travel to exotic places, build leadership skills, become a team player, hone your attention to detail.
Pros
You get to camp.
Cons
You have to camp in the rain.
Amazing workplace with great benefits.
Summer job as a Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 November 2016
This was my first job and here I gained most of the skills I now have. Everyone was very fun to work with and always willing to help. Multitasking was important so there was never a boring day.
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON1 November 2016
I have been in the dept of national defence for 32 years. It had taught me teamwork and to work for the greater good. I joint the Cf to represent our country abroad and at home ,
The CF lets a member expand and explore new trades and new friendships. It teaches a member work as a team or team player to get the job done and it builds esprit del corp in it's members. It had a very good pay scale
Pros
Treated like a family member
Cons
Could be long hours
Staff Officer-Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg31 October 2016
Excellent leadership with a commitment to lifelong learning. While working with the DND I had an opportunity to complete my degree, while maintaining regular employment.

Very supportive environment with a great sense of camaraderie with many amazing travel opportunities.
Pros
Lifelong learning, advancement, strong leadership, great supports
Cons
NA
productive and energetic workplace
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
Been with DND since 1999, loved it since day 1 never looked back! great supervisors/coworkers wonderful schedule and work atmosphere.
like working with kids
Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB22 October 2016
I worked with union guys, they never did any of the work, they took the days off when it snowed. frustrating. just glad they have a budget for hiring other people to work and pay them too much compared to the rest of the province
Pros
good pay
Cons
disapointing workforce
Excellent Job for Students
FOS 2 Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS19 October 2016
The hours are great, though a six am start time is not always admired. I received my schedule a month in advance, which allows for easy planning. The management is great - stern but polite. My co-workers are very nice, and the job pays well. The only down-side to the job is that my pay goes through the Phoenix Payroll System. My pay is over a month late.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS14 October 2016
Working for the CO of Wing Ops was a very rewarding experience. I was honoured to have worked with many great colleagues.
military operation
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 October 2016
good life experience, a lot of training, lot of world traveling, good for young to perform and learn new skills, adventure and experience well acquired through a lot a well training course.
Its not for everyone, but anyone that is strong minded can do it.
Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada28 September 2016
Just like the summary says. It isn't for everyone but if you believe in yourself, you can achieve a lot in the Armed Forces. Work smarter NOT harder. HUA!
Productive and fun work place at DND
Records Management Specialist – Contract (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 September 2016
There is always work to be done. Learning new things is endless. Management is okay. My co-workers are great. My hardest part about my job is that I don't know if I am going to have a job after my contract is up. My most enjoyable part of my job would be working.
Productive and fun place with military and civilians!
Senior Costing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
A fantastic place to be employed, the synergy between military and civilian talent is brilliantly managed by the Senior Management.

I have grown as a Professional significantly, through well thought out and planned talent management and support systems.
Pros
Great people, environment and ethos
Cons
Concentration of jobs are in Ottawa
Great company to work for
IT Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2016
Working at DND is like working with your extended family. Managers are interested in helping you succeed in your career.
Weekly status meetings are performed to ensure you can progress well in your project.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Slow to deliver projects
Great place to learn
Project Manager/ Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
I was able to grow professionally through training and experience. As well the benefits were incredible. The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant change as co workers left and new ones came it became increasingly harder to maintain continuity.
Medical Branch
Medical Branch (Former Employee) –  Canada wide27 July 2016
Great if you require some direction yet military medical officer corp leadership needs to be developed. I witnessed too much harassment during my 25 plus years which military did not care to address when reported.

Plenty of opportunities for physical fitness and career development (courses). Military will pay for specialty training and will allow medical specialists opportunity to work at civilian hospitals.

Advancement system (PER) is antiquated and inconsistent as many who advance do so by networking rather than achievement.

Military has no hospitals and advanced clinical skill sets may be lost quickly unless you moonlight.

Requires a commitment to military prior to family.

Military forgets you (veteran) when you retire and takes forever to obtain answers to registered letters (> than 1 year).
Pros
education, travel, physical fitness, work with other cultures
Cons
culture of harassment, poor leadership at officer level
Rewarding if you are willing to sacrifice your own life
Imagery Technician (Photographer) (Current Employee) –  Quebec, Quebec20 July 2016
If you want a job that pushes you to the limits the Military is the place to be. It will push you to work your hardest during busy periods and will push you to boredom during slow periods. Hurry up and wait should be the military motto.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Have to be willing to sacrifice your life, long deployments away from family, stressful environments
Proud to serve.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2016
The Military isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I hope it will advance my career goals to become a Police Officer. It can be tough, the days can be long, and if you enjoy being wet for 12 hours or more at a time, this is a great place to start. I've met some of my best friends here, and what started as a part time job as a reservist, has turned into a career. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love my country, I love our military, and I will spend the rest of my life serving in her Majesty's Army.
Pros
Changes your life, creates a stronger, better you.
Cons
REALLY long hours, and days.
Would do it all again
Telecommunications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2016
I enjoyed all 20 years of my service. would still be there, but had to get out to keep the family happy. I miss it and wish I could still be there.
Pros
Great all around
Cons
extended tours
Some peers are horrible, some are amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
If you have patience to work with people who harass you, then you'll have an excellent experience. Unfortunately, I encountered one person at the end of my career that spent two years making my life a living nightmare. It's a sad way to end my career with the Public Service. Oh well, the remainder of my career was amazing!!! As were the remainder of my peers!
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Discontents
Enjoyed welcoming and telling new members posted to YK about the North
Housing and Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT26 May 2016
Enjoyed my time with DND. I felt it was time to move on to a new career. the main duty was to welcome new Military members to the North.

4.3