National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Fun and new things everyday
Armored Crewman (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick23 December 2017
Great place to work but becomes difficult with family. (Moving around)
Learning new things everyday is always fun. Hardest part of the job would be leaving family.
Great opportunity
CIC OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Penhold, AB20 December 2017
The cadet program is great. Great opportunity to increase abilities in being a leader and great mentoring opportunities. I would recommend this career choice to friends.
Pays well, Learn lots
Armored Reconnaissance Combat Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 December 2017
I learned many things while working here ranging from how to be a good citizen to basic survival skills. There is always new opportunities for advancement and always something new to learn.
Military Service
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2017
Military service starts off with basic training. It is not easy, it is meant to challenge an individual. Recruits are challenged physically, mentally and emotionally. Once the training is finished, it gets way easier and a lot more enjoyable serving the Canadian Forces.
Pros
Life in the army
Cons
Really hard in the beginning
Get a career
Airfield Telecommunications Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON15 December 2017
Where can one get a career, get training and be paid at the same time............................................ a great life and there is no regrets.
Pros
Life time career
Cons
Field time, tough on families
It was a way of life, not a job
Psyops Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kingston On15 December 2017
Every day it was something different, and if it taught me one thing it was never to be surprised at what you were going to be doing. "I can't" was not allowed to be in my vocabulary. From a personal point of pride and what my bosses expected of me. Loyalty was expected and was whole heartedly given. I was very lucky to have very good officers, and was given every chance by them to develop myself into what I believe was a first rate Senior NCO. Nothing was hard in the army; it was challenging. Making decisions when sleep deprived or under extreme pressure was challenging, but you lived or died (figuratively and literally) based on those decisions. The most enjoyable part of my career were the thousands of interactions I had with people. Whether I commanded them, served them, or interacted with them (civilians) I looked forward to every chance I could to form a relationship with them.
Great Place to work and get practical training
Gunner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2017
Part time, there is excellent training and skill development.
The work culture is disciplined and helpful.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to put your learning in to practice on exercises.
Pros
You are well taken care of when on excercises
grate job oppuntunty
Vechile tech (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC12 December 2017
you have no life and your are someones toy all the time, but its fun and a challenge. I enjoyed it and you have to be tuff, you will be deal timed all the time but you can sleep when your dead.
benefits
Cons
no freedom
tight knit family
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  toronto12 December 2017
-on a typical day i would work on vehicle maintenance
-over my last few years i have learned hands on skills
-the management and people are typically friendly
-hours
-people
Having fun in going over all military ships and work shops
Sr. consulting Marine Engineer & Naval Architect (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2017
Solving unsolved problems, R & D, invention of centrifugal desalination plant, Hydraulic circuits and many other tests and repairs, etc. Working for Canadian Navy is a great opportunity to provide duty services
Pros
Fun all times with colleagues
Cons
Coming the work place by cycling and taking shower, then start the work, all fun

Want to know more about National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces?

Ask a question
Very good employer
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 December 2017
Strength and knowledge achieved everyday, in one of the greatest employees in Canada. Education on your trade is the best training in the world. Great benefits and healthy lifestyle for anyone.
Job Description
Research and Projects Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 December 2017
I joined the Canadian Forces in 2002 as a reservist. For the next three years I learned many life lessons. In 2005 I joined the Regular Force as an Aviation Systems Technician and have been doing it ever since.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Relocating
Ok place to start for entry position
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
This position was only supposed to be for 3 weeks, it got extended multiple times and I ended up there for half a year. The staff I work with there are nice. Great environment.
Pros
Nice place for an entry level position
Cons
This is only a temporary position with no chance of being hired full time, pay is extremely below what a library technician should be getting
Great career choice.
Pte (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean, QC3 December 2017
Do not enter thinking it will be easy. They work you hard but no harder than should be expected from this career choice. Love it and do not regret my decision to join.
Great job
master corporal (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2017
Great job, great pay but not so much on family life. I love the Forces but its to difficult for my children and need something that will allow me to come home at night.
Pros
Money
Cons
Time away
You will make life long professional relationships
Reserve Canadian Armed Forces Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC29 November 2017
Job culture is top notch. Best experience of my life lots of life long relationship that will help make you succeed in both your personal and professional life
hard working environment
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2017
I only made it to basic before realizing i came in half assed and left, but i do plan on returning in the future. Wait until older and more mature before going into this job, would not suggest going in at 18.
Dnd - psp
Bar Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON27 November 2017
Nice place to work. Depending on time of year you might be busy. Summer months very quite.
Everyone there is so nice to work with, you feel very much apart of a team.
great experience
Boatswain (Former Employee) –  CFB ESQUIMALT, CFB BORDEN27 November 2017
My life with the military was a great life experience . i had the opportunity to travel around the world and experience cultures i would normally not have the opportunity to do any where else. I was always given challenges through out my career to make me a better soldier / sailor .i had the opportunity to learn so much during my service time.
Pros
travel, life experiences
Cons
away from home for long periods of time
Work hard, play hard
Armoured Reconnaisance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2017
Amazing opportunity for growth and experience, but can easily get frustrating as it is a government organization which moves and changes very slowly.

Simultaneously the worst and best times of your life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3