National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

like working with kids
Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB22 October 2016
I worked with union guys, they never did any of the work, they took the days off when it snowed. frustrating. just glad they have a budget for hiring other people to work and pay them too much compared to the rest of the province
Pros
good pay
Cons
disapointing workforce
not a bad place if your young and single
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ON1 December 2016
learned all Canadian infantry weapon systems
learned tactics
staff and chain of command is generally good as long as your not on a pat platoon
hardest part of the job is sleep dep training
most enjoyable parts of the job would be battle excersize and weapon ranges
Pros
pension and benefits
Cons
no family life
Canadian Military lifestyle
Army communication information system specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 November 2015
Typical day helping the chain of command based on their required tasks. Such as light Clerk duties includes Emailing, editting documents, fixing the Radios.
Pros
Benefits, Professional Field, Uniform, Duty
Cons
Postings
military operation
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 October 2016
good life experience, a lot of training, lot of world traveling, good for young to perform and learn new skills, adventure and experience well acquired through a lot a well training course.
Amazing workplace with great benefits.
Summer job as a Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 November 2016
This was my first job and here I gained most of the skills I now have. Everyone was very fun to work with and always willing to help. Multitasking was important so there was never a boring day.
great place to work
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK14 November 2016
Only worked here for two weeks but when i was their i had a amazing time, great place to work and even more amazing kids. Amazing Facilities, lots of trips with the kids, and good equipment.
Pros
Field Trips with the Kids
Cons
breaks
No life like it
Electrical Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia28 July 2015
The Department of National Defense requires their people to be the utmost hard working and dedicated people in the country. With time away for training and deployments, their families are required to be just as dedicated as the member themselves. The job security, pension and benefits available make them an ideal choice for a career.
Pros
job security, pension and benefits
Cons
Time away from family
productive and energetic workplace
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
Been with DND since 1999, loved it since day 1 never looked back! great supervisors/coworkers wonderful schedule and work atmosphere.
Its not for everyone, but anyone that is strong minded can do it.
Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada28 September 2016
Just like the summary says. It isn't for everyone but if you believe in yourself, you can achieve a lot in the Armed Forces. Work smarter NOT harder. HUA!
Made alot of life long freinds who'm i can say i trusted with my life
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB18 May 2016
a typical day at work included weapons cleaning/training, map and compass,first aid,combat swim training hand to hand combat music class's ( snare,bass and tenor drum)and much more.

The most important thing I learned from the Infantry is how to trust and respect my fellow soldiers and the strength in a well organized team.
Pros
physical training every morning and team building exercises
Cons
a lot of time spent away from home
Loved it
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC7 November 2016
Loved working with the Canadian Forces. Its tough and not for everyone. If you're interested, grow a second pair of skin because you'll need it once the first layer breaks.
Very interesting job
Travel Cell Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hull, QC13 November 2015
I am very happy to be able to work in a face pace environment. I work here on contract which doesn't give me a great salary but I like the people I work with.
Engaging workplace, non-judgemental work staff and exposure to different equipment
Junior Biomedical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2016
I begin work by testing the equipment, and troubleshooting. All work done is documented in our own database. During my time here my troubleshooting skills and electronics knowledge have improved. As long as we do our share of the work, the atmosphere is relaxed, and easy going. Paper work and administrative work can be very tedious. I love working with different equipment from day to day.
Pros
Direct hands-on for what I am trained for
Cons
Unending administrative work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS14 October 2016
Working for the CO of Wing Ops was a very rewarding experience. I was honoured to have worked with many great colleagues.
Enjoyed welcoming and telling new members posted to YK about the North
Housing and Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT26 May 2016
Enjoyed my time with DND. I felt it was time to move on to a new career. the main duty was to welcome new Military members to the North.
Great Experience !
Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 December 2013
Teamwork and cohesiveness of a culture that promotes team spirit or "esprit de corps" makes for an amazing sense of belonging in any activity performed. The intense need for strong leadership is definitely a significant character in this organization. If your skills are weak in that department, believe me, it will be very well improved in a very short period.
However, the advancement of a technically educated personnel could be noticeably slower than that of many of that in the private/non-governmental sector. To get to the edge of technology, engineering and state-of-the-art equipment, it would better to be on the contracted end.
Pros
Leadership skills, Team Spirit, benifits, job security.
Cons
Slow enhancement, high risk and heavy danger, below average compensation.
Stores Person (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB23 January 2014
I served 28 years with the National Defense and had to take an early medical retirement due to stress and anxiety.
The job was great but we do not get recognized for what we do, There are no promotions as civilians are not allowed to be supervisors unless you are a special person. There is a lot of favoritism and for those of us that have been there for years well you have to be in the favorites file. With all the cutbacks it is a higher demand for more work and less help. Civilians have no say so in the work place which is upsetting as we are the ones who are at the workplace at all times. The military put in an average of 25 to 30 hours work as week and we put in 40 hours a week and have to make up for the military while they are on various other duties, It is very hard and stressfull.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lots of stress
Stressful environment
Movements Officer (Former Employee) –  RCSU (Pac) - Victoria28 March 2013
Due to cutbacks you find there is no balance between work and home life. Everyone is expected to do more with less and unfortunately each member is stressed to the maximum.
I worked with a great team who would stab you in the back at the drop of a hat to make themselves look good or to save their face. I have been with DND for 12 years. In that time I have been bullied, abused, harassed and court martialled and then told I was not qualified to do the job I have been doing for the past 10 years yet, I have all my course reports that say I was doing an incredible job, I was an asset to the office etc.
Best part of the job was working with the Cadets. They are our future and if you could spend a small amount of time with each individual you would find that we are going to be okay. They are bright, intelligent and have incredible ideas about how to save our planet.. They are the reason I stayed in the military as long as I did.
Pros
great salary
Cons
long hours 14-16 hour days 7 days a week
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2014
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Would do it all again
Telecommunications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2016
I enjoyed all 20 years of my service. would still be there, but had to get out to keep the family happy. I miss it and wish I could still be there.
Pros
Great all around
Cons
extended tours

4.3