National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

very good for schooling and learning to work in different environments.
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Canada9 January 2017
a great place to start your career and lean new things about work place, people, who you are and how well you can work in different environments.

its almost a normal day at any shop just with the army twist and culture.

the people you work with will work the best with you as soon as they can see they trust you, everyone is trying to be the best at working as a team.

the best part of the job for me was the different vehicles you get to work on and all they differences between the vehicles, plus the fact of being a part of a very specific precise organization and getting things done they way they do it.
Pros
great benefits, great schooling
Cons
long hours, long periods of time away from home, haveing to move alot
Secure job with some challenges
Finance Manager / Administration Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 November 2016
management can be amazing or absolutely terrible, it all depends on who you get as a chain of command.
a lot of the work is very boring, monotonous. There are some opportunities to learn new things and undertake new challenges.
Most enjoyable part of the job is playing sports competitively for the military.
Pros
vacation days, sports
Cons
boring work, minimal flexibility for career
Prison.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON4 January 2017
There is no more dishonest place I've ever seen. Jobs and promotions based on back-door deals. Crooked people on both the civilian and military side. Because of union, civilians are protected from such things as drug testing, which could easily be used by certain parties to compromise the security of the place. Find addicts and spouse cheaters common place around the base. The work culture features a bunch of people who end up hen-pecking each other until relationships are truly a game of Spy VS Spy. The amount of work accomplished compared to the amount of money spent is truly pathetic. 90% of it could be contracted out for cheaper.
Stable but slow
Communications Research Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2017
Working in the Canadian Forces is a great safe and stable career if you have the discipline for it, but management is very slow, your career will advance very slowly if you leave your fate in the hands of the higher ups, take things into your own hands and push for progress to get anywhere in the reserve
Pros
Great Social
Busy, interactive, ever changing
transport section supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wainwright, AB25 November 2016
constantly working with different sub units with in the military and new daily challenges to keep things interesting. lots of opportunities for advancement and qualification upgrades.
Pros
job security and benefits
Medical Branch
Medical Branch (Former Employee) –  Canada wide27 July 2016
Great if you require some direction yet military medical officer corp leadership needs to be developed. I witnessed too much harassment during my 25 plus years which military did not care to address when reported.

Plenty of opportunities for physical fitness and career development (courses). Military will pay for specialty training and will allow medical specialists opportunity to work at civilian hospitals.

Advancement system (PER) is antiquated and inconsistent as many who advance do so by networking rather than achievement.

Military has no hospitals and advanced clinical skill sets may be lost quickly unless you moonlight.

Requires a commitment to military prior to family.

Military forgets you (veteran) when you retire and takes forever to obtain answers to registered letters (> than 1 year).
Pros
education, travel, physical fitness, work with other cultures
Cons
culture of harassment, poor leadership at officer level
Awesome place to work
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  St.-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC8 December 2016
A great place to work if you are single, or not married, everything is provided for you, a place to stay, food, ect. you are obviously away from home alot, so if you have a spouse, and or kids, not so great.

Huge advantage to being single in the military though, is your paycheque that is deposited into your bank, is yours. room and board already is taken out of the paycheque, so you don't need to even thing about rent and groceries.

however if you have a spouse and a house, then you are paying your room and board, as well as your regular bills, rent groceries, ect.

and most importantly, it is hard work, long hours.
Pros
Sense of pride and self accomplishment
Cons
Long, hard hours, and eventually you could go to war, high risk of injury and/or death.
interesting Job
Ammunition Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Great career with great benefits and a lot of constant changes.
Most days are normal work hours but at times you will find yourself in training areas away from home working long hours.
A lot of teamwork and some good supervisors. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship and camaraderie build between workers.
Downfall of the job would be having absolutely no say in where your career goes. If you wish to be close to home and start a family it may be impossible. Stability like this is near impossible.
benefits
Cons
moving every 4 years to places you dont even want to visit
Proud to serve.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2016
The Military isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I hope it will advance my career goals to become a Police Officer. It can be tough, the days can be long, and if you enjoy being wet for 12 hours or more at a time, this is a great place to start. I've met some of my best friends here, and what started as a part time job as a reservist, has turned into a career. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love my country, I love our military, and I will spend the rest of my life serving in her Majesty's Army.
Pros
Changes your life, creates a stronger, better you.
Cons
REALLY long hours, and days.
bin my most dependable and fair job.
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 January 2017
The day's we work vary a fair bit which is one of the good parts about the job. We function in a high stress environment were the slightest mistake will have some one killed or wounded. With that said a sens of hummer is one of the most important things to have.
Pros
The job has good security and I like the people I work with.
Cons
Exercises are predictable and noncompetitive.
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON1 November 2016
I have been in the dept of national defence for 32 years. It had taught me teamwork and to work for the greater good. I joint the Cf to represent our country abroad and at home ,
The CF lets a member expand and explore new trades and new friendships. It teaches a member work as a team or team player to get the job done and it builds esprit del corp in it's members. It had a very good pay scale
Pros
Treated like a family member
Cons
Could be long hours
Satisfying, Benefits
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Various parts of Canada and Europe8 December 2016
It is a way of life not just a job, very rewarding I had the best time of my life. The benefits are OK. Do not expect a generals pay scale quickly. However as an employer they try and be closely matched to the civilian sector. The money is not everything. For the majority of the military population for service to Canada and keeping her boarders safe and the country free from threat.
Leadership
Boatswain (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 December 2016
Leadership in the military is one of the top priorities and they push you at everything you do to advance in the world of leadership. There is a number of opportunities in the Navy to excel within and outside in the community with the organization and leadership skills they give you.
Pros
Medical, leadership, Job security
Cons
Away from home, no ability to strike, pay, incentives, micro managers
You will love and hate this job
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2016
This job is addictive. You will love everything you are doing one day and the next you will hate everything you've done to yourself for this. The Job/work ratio is weird. One you're not ever out of your job, you are your job.
Pros
Free lunches, free travel, fun, make friends for the rest of your life
Cons
Long hours, you will make enemies
Staff Officer-Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg31 October 2016
Excellent leadership with a commitment to lifelong learning. While working with the DND I had an opportunity to complete my degree, while maintaining regular employment.

Very supportive environment with a great sense of camaraderie with many amazing travel opportunities.
Pros
Lifelong learning, advancement, strong leadership, great supports
Cons
NA
Great balance of leadership, physical fitness and esprit decor
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT10 January 2017
Best job I ever had. An ever challenging, results oriented career that provided me the opportunity to travel extensively throughout the Northwest Territories to many remote villages and communities and meet with local elders and community leaders.
Pros
Job enrichment and travel
A band of brothers
Finance Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2016
You develop a strong bond between coworkers. You work with them everyday and fight with them everyday. You share moments with them and help each other like a family. You run that extra mile for your buddy and another if you have to and another and another.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard trainings
Excellent Job for Students
FOS 2 Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS19 October 2016
The hours are great, though a six am start time is not always admired. I received my schedule a month in advance, which allows for easy planning. The management is great - stern but polite. My co-workers are very nice, and the job pays well. The only down-side to the job is that my pay goes through the Phoenix Payroll System. My pay is over a month late.
not a bad place if your young and single
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ON1 December 2016
learned all Canadian infantry weapon systems
learned tactics
staff and chain of command is generally good as long as your not on a pat platoon
hardest part of the job is sleep dep training
most enjoyable parts of the job would be battle excersize and weapon ranges
Pros
pension and benefits
Cons
no family life
Best Work Place Ever!
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
This place was fantastic, good structure and discipline. Excellent Benefits for members who are medically released. The People there are good, and I couldn't ask for a better work environment.
Pros
Good Benefits upon Medical Release
Cons
Salary Job

4.3