National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

great people bad management
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON17 February 2017
busy
how to be a firefighter
some good others shouldn't be in there position at all
very good it is a second family
putting up with stupidity of a boss that should be there
helping others
A unique career experience
Commissioned officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
When I am asked why I joined the military or what I like about the army, I provide these general observations from close to 20 years of work experience in part-time and full-time capacities. I joined to learn and develop leadership and managerial skills. At the outset, I really did not have a good idea what that meant; only that it sounded very impressive and would hopefully give me a “leg-up” with respect to finding a civilian career. Over time, I found that the military offered aspects that I know I would not have gained elsewhere. I am confident in writing this because I have worked in both worlds and in part-time and full-time capacities. The military gives its people opportunities to learn through trial-and-error as well as through classical teaching environments, under very good guidance of experienced mentors. In effect, it’s like undergoing an apprenticeship. Most leaders, especially at the unit level, take great interest and pride in developing their subordinates and this attitude is prevalent throughout the military. As well, there are opportunities for travel, be it an actual deployment overseas or within the country. That is not to give the impression that by “travel”, I refer to tourism. By “travel”, I mean work-related. Regardless, the ability to experience an environment much different from where you grew up and to be placed in situations outside of your comfort zone, helps to develop your character as well as learn more about yourself and your limitations. There are also opportunities to actually work in another country for up to 3 years and competition for these  more... billets are highly competitive, but still possible.

However, it is not all peaches and cream. Getting a position in the military is not as simple as doing well on a job interview. You must be prepared to undergo one or several interviews, several tests (medical, fitness, and aptitude) and depending on your identified trade, a further selection process. On top of that, once you have been offered a contract, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have the job. Everyone selected for the military must pass the basic training phase followed by the actual trade qualification courses. If you are unsuccessful, the military will attempt to find an alternative trade for you. If that doesn’t pan out, you will need to find another line of work. As with any organization, there are down sides. You could find yourself with a bad boss or involved in personality clashes; but, this sort of thing can happen anywhere. What is not generic is the greater possibility of being involved in extreme violent situations (mainly combat or terrorist-related incidents) as well as witnessing colleagues afflicted with PTSD. Or perhaps you could be the one as well. Some trades demand much physical strength and stamina and I have seen several soldiers who, after years of grinding it out in the field and on operations, receive permanent injuries that require a release from the military. Another downside is administrative bureaucracy. The military is a government institution, after all, and is no stranger to bureaucratic red-tape. Patience and understanding is a key to coping with this, but it can be very frustrating. Another disadvantage, if you are full-time, is loss of control over your work location. Active duty members are normally transferred around the country every 2-3 years. If you are single with no major commitments, it’s fine. But periodic moves are hard on a family, especially if the spouse has a job or career of his / her own and the children are in high school, where they likely have formed lasting friendships. You can refuse to move, but eventually your career advancement will halt.

The pay is very generous and that does not include various entitlements. Considering what I do, which is essentially administrative work, I must confess to being overpaid. A similar position in the civilian industry would likely offer nearly $40,000 less, so I consider myself fortunate. Still, in the end, you need to ask yourself if money is the main priority in your career search. I’ve followed the greenback throughout my working life and, sadly, I am no better off than when I was in school. I have no real marketable hard skills and no marketable qualifications; at least, ones that are recognized in the civilian world. The experiences are priceless, both good and bad, and they’ve helped me to learn about myself. If you are contemplating the military, I would say “Yes. Serve and be a better person for it”. But, I would caution you to choose a trade wisely with the long-term view of finding something that is easily marketable beyond the military. Alternatively, serve for a short period; you’ll still make a contribution to the greater good.
Pros
Generous pay and benefits, unique life experiences
Cons
Long hours, periodic re-location, "Up or Out" career path
Good opportunities for advancement and travel
Flight Engineer Leader (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia15 February 2017
Being employed in the Canadian Armed Forces has been an incredibly rewarding experience. The training throughout a career is second to none and the opportunities for continual improvement and development are plentiful.
Challenging but Fun
Retired Rank of Sergeant (Former Employee) –  4 Wing Cold Lake Alberta13 February 2017
Over a period of 20 Yrs, things changed dramatically with every promotion. You learn to adapt to any situation, and overcome the obstacle and move fwd. For any young man or woman who really is not sure on which way to go in life,, I suggest the Canadian Forces to help you through the process.
Benefits
Cons
Posted away from friends and Family, Long deployments to bad places.
Travel, Interesting courses and interesting people
NCI Op (Former Employee) –  Esquimalt, BC13 February 2017
The pay is decent but you will work for every penny you get. Job life depends 100% on your fellow service members and your current superiors. It can be amazing, and it can be a grind. It is what you make it.
Pros
training, life experiance
Cons
long hours, can be hard on home life
Overall good organization
HMCS Cabot - Leading Seaman (Current Employee) –  Various9 February 2017
valuable skills and knowledge learned , was an overall good experience and would recommend to others . Good courses and meaningful employment
Effective worker open to new adventures
Regimental Sergeant Major (Current Employee) –  Cote des Neiges, Montreal6 February 2017
I give my 100% in all tasks I am assigned.I like a harmonious work environment, focused on task completion in a timely manner. Through a vast experience in the military, I excel in difficult situations and take timely decision keeping in mind the best interest of the company and other parties involved. I have conducted several personnel investigations based on disciplinary deficiencies and always submit my reports in a timely, well documented report.
Pros
Operational challenges
Cons
Revolving personnel
Needed advancements in how mental illness is treated and diagnosed
EME (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 February 2017
The current military mentality is to medicate to keep people in the ranks and to prevent a release rather than diagnosing and treating the actual issue. Even those with combat experience are chucked to the curb (or most commit suicide) if they prove to be too "cumbersome" as "patients".

There is a real epidemic on the bases, far too many people take their own lives even after seeking help simply because of the way the MIR handles their patients. Those who show any sign of mental illness are often met with skepticism or just aren't provided the amount of help they both deserve and need.

This isn't always the case of course, but it happens far more often than it should,
Pros
Fixed Salary
Cons
Fixed Salary
Good Experience
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
A good place to grow yourself. Lots of chances for personal growth and to advance your education. Use this as a way to travel and see places you would never go to normally.
Pros
Education, travel
Cons
Long periods from home.
Good life
Technician (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia31 January 2017
Great work, pay and environment, if you are willing to be relocated (every 3 years) and deployed for over 6 months. Good moral boosting event. Basic is the hardest part.
Great opportunity to develop leadership and other character skills
Brigade G3 Training (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
Will build you from the ground up and allow you to progress at your own pace based on personal initiative and ability to lead and apply technical skills in a constantly changing environment.
it was a great place to work
soldier (Former Employee) –  cfb edmonton27 January 2017
I did 23 yrs in the military and enjoyed every moment of it ive seen the world lots and would do it all over again if I could its a place to see who you really are and what you are made of
Pros
travel the pay and the friendships you make
Cons
hard work late nights away from home alot
Working in search and rescue was the best and meaningfull
Avionic technicien (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS26 January 2017
Shift work
Trade school avionics
Management OK
Work place culture sometime difficult to bear.
The hardest part of military line is not being able to express an opinion.
Most enjoyable was working on a aircraft
Pros
Work stability
Cons
Nerver express one self
great job to work, with one of a kind job experience and the teamwork and people make it worth every day.
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Canada26 January 2017
the good times are great the bad times are terrible.
days can be easy and other can be very difficult.
great teamwork all around.
physically demanding.
fun.
Pros
best teamwork possible.
Cons
lond duration away from home.
excellent life style
Member of the CAF (Former Employee) –  Various26 January 2017
Had a excellent career, was a adventure. Highly recommended. Had two deployments that were very rewarding and with current operation tempo, these deployments will be increasing
Pros
Stability
Cons
hard on body
combat engineer
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 January 2017
very much enjoyed my enrollment in the Canadian armed forces and i have learned a lot of skills from here that are helpful to me in life.
Great job, many oppperunities
cook/Soldier (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MB Canada24 January 2017
Working for the Canadian armed forces was one of the best times of my life.
at a young age it taught me leadership, responsibility and many skills I would not likely have gotten elsewhere.
Pros
full health care plan, job security, family health benefits and more.
Cons
incredibly long hours and often little down time.
Excellent work place and training
Sapper (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 January 2017
A day as a Canadian Armed Forces Reservist can change from day to day, you can be working a desk job one day and in the field training to keep your solider skills readily available and ready to use the next day. Training in the Reserves gives you an awesome work place environment that is respectable and extremely professional. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your hard work in training pay off and fully work out in exercises.
Best Work Place Ever!
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
This place was fantastic, good structure and discipline. Excellent Benefits for members who are medically released. The People there are good, and I couldn't ask for a better work environment.
Pros
Good Benefits upon Medical Release
Cons
Salary Job
Reserves
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2017
Currently posted to 4RCR in London Ontario during school. Use to be apart of the Lorne Scotts Infrantry Unit in Georgetown Ontario.

4.3