National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Great Student Placement
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 May 2017
Workplace culture was great. A good place for a student placement to get your foot in the door, you'll always find help and develop your skills if you are willing.
Awesome work place
Junior IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2017
Great work environment and team. Great enviornmrnt. Lots of team building. Tons of support from your peers and those higher up. High level management are open for communication, and make learning easy
Demanding Job
Senior Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 May 2017
Budget cutbacks affect everything from equipment to salary, but most of all, they affect morale. Job has treated me well and afforded me the opportunity to see parts of the world I never would have ventured otherwise. Comraderie is indescribable, but it certainly helps make the difficult times worth the effort!
nesop
Naval Electronic Sensor Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 May 2017
went through basic training, and my seamanship training, then post to Victoria, I loved my time in the military but alas I started a family and had to leave
Best place I ever worked
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Various bases in Canada16 May 2017
I loved the military life. You woke up each day looking forward to going to work. The people you meet become lifelong friends. You get to travel to places you never imagined that you would see. You get to help out your country when a disaster happens. Makes you feel proud to be a Canadian
infantry soldier
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  bather15 May 2017
basic training in armed forces. learning how to become an all around good soldier! i was part of unit 2RNBR for a few years, i had to leave the forces due to traveling for work! it was a good learning experience for me but i was young and needed more!
New recruit
Militia (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2017
I enjoyed being part of the Canadian Armed Forces. I enjoyed the military training and of course the in class lectured by the instructor about miltary life and the weapons involved. It was all about discipline and enjoyed a lot.
Pros
The weapon drilled
Cons
Long running for the excercise
Fun workplace with amazing people
Weapons Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 May 2017
Great job security, lots of great people to work with. The hardest part of the job would be sailing; being away from family and friends for long periods of time.
Good job but boring
Filing and Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
I only worked here for one summer as a student so I can't say much. My experience was okay. The people there were incredibly nice and supportive. Always willing to help me out and make me feel comfortable. Problem for me was the work was mind numblingly boring and ridiculously easy. So easy I could finish a days worth of work in 2 hours. A lot of times I wouldn't have anything to do. But I understand because of how short my contract was and the fact that I was a student, I wouldn't really get to work on anything meaningful. I'm sure as a permanent employee there's lots more interesting work and projects to do.
Pros
Nice coworkers, networking, references
Cons
Boring work, too easy
Excellent Part Time Job
Cadet Instructor Cadre - Reserve Officer (Current Employee) –  Shearwater, NS7 May 2017
As a Reserve Officer with the CF; this has been a great Part Time job which allows me to make a little extra cash while still having a Full Time civilian job.
Rcaf
Air Reserve Flight Commander (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
The Air Force has been a challenging and rewarding career. Now I find myself wishing to step back and focus nonflying and not military planning and coordination
Pros
Exciting opportunities and job security with pension
Cons
As you rise in the ranks you fly less and this becomes a detractor.
always something new, never a dull day
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB4 May 2017
work started at 7am monday to friday but there was always room for overtime on the weekends and early mornings and late evenings. the management team was always available to approach on matters, however they were not always fair with the way the handled the outcome, the permanent crew was favored anytime there was a work related dispute
Pros
a lot of new experiences and opportunities
Cons
never home
Great Place to Work
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB2 May 2017
- Hard work but good work
- benefits are great
- very close with staff
- Great way to make friends
- higher ranks treat other with fairness
- you get to gain many life experiences like travel
Pros
Free Food wen on course
Workplace Experience
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Various2 May 2017
A good and rewarding place to work. I had to leave the military because of a medical condition that breached the universality of service requirements.
Pros
Mobility and possibility for deployment
Cons
Was unable to continue because of medical reasons.
Program Management
Project Administrator L2 (Current Employee) –  East end of Ottata1 May 2017
I have been involved in the Project Management area in my present position and have learned many new skill with includes submitting monthly Treasury Board submissions.

The most difficult part of the position is getting all stakeholders to give inputs to deadlines on a timely manner.

The people in this positon do contribute for a team effort.
Most organized work place
Artillery officer (Former Employee) –  Valcartier, Quebec30 April 2017
The military is a unique place to get the best training for team work and discipline. Safety is very strict. No better experience to be professional at respecting good work ethics and become efficient with high pressure.
classified
corpral (Former Employee) –  200 james st hamiltion26 April 2017
it was a good job good people good time hard time. i just feel ive done my part and are now looking for bigger and better things. it was difficult at times but if it was easy everyone would do it
Pros
free luch discounts
Cons
hardiest thing ive ever done
Electro optic technologist
Electro-Optics Technologist (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
A typical day at work depends on the status on the project(s) that I am working on. Most of the time a couple hours in the lab and some time writing reports. The planning of how to test the laser systems takes the most time and then the fun of setting up the testing equipment can begin.
Poor on the equipment
Marine engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2017
Considering that a typical commercial ship life is 25 years, the boats I worked on were very old. Equipment is old. Crews are what makes this thing work properly.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Poor purchasing practices of the Canadian government
Summer staff cadet was an awesome position
Summer staff cadet (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 April 2017
Lots of chances to advance your leadership and to grow as an individual. Pushes you to be your best.would recommend to any cadet. Best summer camp ever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3