National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Travail de terrain
Aumônier militaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC19 October 2017
Se montrer à l'affût pour saisir le moral des troupes et les aider discrètement. Ce, et le plus efficacement possible pour une continuité du travail au sein du groupe.
Pros
Excellente collaboration des officiers Supérieurs
Cons
Parfois difficile de dépasser nos propres limites.
Typical days,
Officer Cadet Royal Military College (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 October 2017
During BMQ it will seem difficult but it is just to push you to do your best and show that you won't quit. Once you get to your Job it calms down a bit, you will always be busy but not as much punishment workouts. Never bored while in uniform
Pros
3 meals a day, clean bedding once a week, holidays off (for the most part)
Cons
Can have long days or stuck with duty
Adventure and Comraderie
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2017
An exciting opportunity to work alongside a diverse group of dedicated people. The ultimate team environment, where you learn that through teamwork you achieve greater results.

The military is not for everyone as you have to be prepared to go where you are needed when you are needed.

The rewards are opportunities to travel and train in a variety of different locations, deploy overseas or domestically in support to civil powers.
Pros
Travel, training, leadership
Cons
relocation requirements
Dnd
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB17 October 2017
Worked with a great group of coworkers. Recieved great training and support in earning additional education. Was able to work toward career advancement and did advance in my military career.
Combat Engineer
36 Combat engineer 20 Squadron (Current Employee) –  Shearwater, NS16 October 2017
this trade holds a lot of other trades together, works to help team building and skill you can use later in life, with the reserve's you can better balance life school and work
Pros
Team Building, Pay, help with education
Cons
long hours while on course
Productive, and great work enviroment.
Corporal (Artillery) (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MB15 October 2017
Through the years of my military career, my days were different depending on what was going on at that point. Everything from weapons training and exercises, to framing and carpentry in the final years of my career.
Good team, good management
Senior Technical Architect (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Hull, QC14 October 2017
There is very busy and slow times due to the types of the job requests. Good management. Good team environment. I learned a lot and gained many skills.
Excellente perspective de carrière
Opérateur de systèmes de mécanique navale (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2017
Cela a été mon tout premier emploie en terminant mon secondaire. Permet de voyager, d'avoir une connaissance pratique et acquérir plusieurs compétences interpersonnelles.
Pros
Excellent emploi étudiant et permanent
Cons
Peut être compliqué d'avoir une vie stable
Great time with great people
Life Cycle Material Manager (Repair & Disposal) (Former Employee) –  Tunney's Pasture, ON13 October 2017
A relaxed but structured workplace that favours comradery. In my tenure I have learned about military ethics. I've also learned aspects of the job that could only be learned by interaction with clients and co-workers alike.

In terms of management, I have nothing but positive things to say. My immediate supervisor stands out as a remarkable individual willing to go the extra mile for those under his direction.

The workplace culture is every way acceptable. The environment is one of friendship, helpfulness, fairness. I was made to feel at ease with the command structure.

The hardest part of the job are those rare moments when all avenues have been investigated and exhausted but providing the required help to a client is not possible.

The best part of the job is being able to fulfill the clients needs.

Being among some of the best people I know and being able to interact with them on a daily basis provides the added bonus.
Pros
Working in a great environment with great people.
Cons
Not being able to attend functions because of my contractual status.
A great experience I would gladly do again
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
The military is not easy, being in the infantry like I was is even harder. However if you have the right mental attitude you can go far in its ranks.

After you get through training most days are pretty much an almost 9 to 5 kind of day. Expect to do a lot of physical training in the morning, followed by taskings, maintenance or some kind of training for the day. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in the field on exercise. I typically spent 4 months or longer in the field. And if your unit is going to be deployed overseas expect that time to be even higher.

That said you learn a lot and will acquire skills that will help you in any career after the military. The pay is pretty decent, you have a little over 6 weeks of paid holidays every year. Plus a lot of other benefits.
Great environment
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC4 October 2017
28+ years I spent with the armed forces. Was able to travel and move to different provinces and bases. Plenty of opportunity to grow, take courses, meet many diverse people and travel to many different locations.

Had numerous postings in Canada and was able to travel abroad and experience and learn from other cultures.

Fantastic career opportunities and life experiences.
Pros
Salary, people, experiences, adventure...too many to mention
Cons
There are some...can't really think of any at the moment
Secure but not gratifying
Maritime Surface and Subsurface Officer (MARS) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 October 2017
Working at the Canadian Armed Forces was bitter sweet. I made many friends and generally developed a passion for the protection of Canadian assets. I had many great experiences as a leader, teammate and subordinate over my five years in the forces but certain things led me to look elsewhere for my career. Namely, the strict culture tends to lead to group think and stifles innovation in the name of structure. The ability to appear confident over a decision is valued over the ability to speak objectively about the risk assessment. Joining the military is a safe option, and it can be a very fulfilling career if you find the right pathway. While I would have normally given the Canadian Armed Forces a 4 star rating, the current culture in the Navy has developed a repressive attitude towards its members. This will eventually pass as leadership changes but I cannot reasonably advise anyone with career options to join in today's working climate.
Pros
Free Travel, Free food and lodging, meeting people, great applied training, superb job security
Cons
Stale innovation, Poor benevolent leadership, Stigmatising work environment
Life in the CAF
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 October 2017
As a trans member my biggest concern was the policy's the forces had. To by surprise they have amazing policies and support me 100% as I transition.

The Military has provided me with a stable career and the opportunity to see things I would not normally be able to see, such as traveling to different parts of Canada and potentially the world.

The hardest part about being in the forces is adapting to new environments, not every base is the same, and when you meet hundreds of new people time to time, it can become difficult to fit in.

The best part of the job however is putting on the uniform.
Exciting and meaningful experience
Bombadier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2017
Tasked with maintenance of artillery weapon systems and instruments as well as administrative work and drill. Gained knowledge in various weapon systems and procedures in order to work effectively in garrison and in the field.
Not For Everyone
Master Corporal- Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2017
The Army is not a job everyone can get into or enjoy but I have put my best into it and not always gotten out of it. I love the RCEME Branch but it is often put by the wayside in terms of equipment and training.
Pros
Travel, Vastly different day to day
Cons
Working 24 hours a day gets old after a while
Outstanding work environment
Base Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC30 September 2017
I was responsible for dress and deportment on the Wing, I attend senior staff meetings at least once a week and held my own meetings weekly. I learned how to work at strategic level and at the Command Team level. The management skills I learned during my career were useful and expanded during my tenure. The work place culture was what would be expected in the CAF. I did not find the job difficult in any way and the best part was learning the dynamic nature of working with individuals at the various rank levels on the Wing.
Pros
The learning environment
Cons
The position I, was in was to short
Government Agency
Technical Services Supervisor (Acting) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 September 2017
A very good place to work when you have an indeterminate number..Management can be trying at times when it comes to understanding the needs of the workforce
Pros
great benefits, Employee Assistance Program is the best in the Federal Gov
Cons
very political environment, no job security for term and casual employees
Entreprise sans limite
Artilleryman (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC25 September 2017
Excellent entreprise ou la formation varies en tout lieu, possiblité de carriere excitante partout au canada et dans le monde
Pros
Formation continue
Cons
Horraire inflexible
Great job fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Suffield, AB24 September 2017
Loved working out here only thing was the gas getting up there and the hours being a student and working till 1 doesn't work very well! management is great employees were fantastic
Great Part Time Employer
Attained rank of corporal (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2017
Had the opportunity to receive great levels of training in various aspects of the military. I also had the opportunity to meet royals and dignitaries of various countries.
Pros
Camaraderie, team building, equipment
Cons
Physically challenging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3