National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Excellent work place and training
Sapper (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 January 2017
A day as a Canadian Armed Forces Reservist can change from day to day, you can be working a desk job one day and in the field training to keep your solider skills readily available and ready to use the next day. Training in the Reserves gives you an awesome work place environment that is respectable and extremely professional. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your hard work in training pay off and fully work out in exercises.
Best Work Place Ever!
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
This place was fantastic, good structure and discipline. Excellent Benefits for members who are medically released. The People there are good, and I couldn't ask for a better work environment.
Pros
Good Benefits upon Medical Release
Cons
Salary Job
Reserves
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2017
Currently posted to 4RCR in London Ontario during school. Use to be apart of the Lorne Scotts Infrantry Unit in Georgetown Ontario.
There's no life like it.
Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 January 2017
Being in the military has benefited me in ways that I can not even begin to explain.
I think everyone should do a three year term in the military.
Excellent Place to work
CC130J Chief Loadmaster Instructor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON22 January 2017
Excellent workplace. Leading edge instruction on the CC130J Hercules aircraft with state off the art training equipment. Responsible for the training of CC130J Loadmasters.
Very structured environment - access to training. Great learning environment
Divisional Civilian HR Advisor - on assignment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2017
Work hard, play hard environment with a "Can Do" attitude. Great learning environment with emphasis on working as a team.
Pros
Free training
Soldier
Sergeant and honourably discharged (Former Employee) –  CFB Ottawa, North and foreign countries21 January 2017
The general duties that are required in protecting our country and that of other NATO countries when called upon to do so. Great place to work and a pension is forthcoming for all who stay in long enough.
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Loss of life sometimes
Physically intensive workplace, with lots of options for specialisation
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 January 2017
I did not actually enter the working body of the military, I only completed my training. I was enlisted as a reservist, seeking to balance civilian schooling and military work, which also turned out to be hardest part of the job and ultimately I decided I needed to fully commit to one or the other. The most enjoyable was learning the many skills I acquired in my training, which though many have little obvious application outside the military, they have helped greatly in learning many other skills.
Life career
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON18 January 2017
Good people
Good friends
Good job
Good business

Livin' the dream
Hard people doing hard work
With plenty of good times in between.
Pros
Government
Great camaraderie with coworkers. Great challenges , lots of sports opportunities
Communication Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON & Kingston, ON17 January 2017
Fitness training in the morning
Communication reaserch : interception, analysis, direction finding, jamming of signals (wether it was morse code, voice, satellite and encrypted messages)
Learn many skills like typing, Spanish, driving 1.5, 5 tones vehicles and armoured vehicles. First Aid. Weapons control and many other military skill.
Pros
Awesome teamwork. Traveling. Meeting friends from all over Canada
Cons
Gone away from home for a long time from home
no life like it
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
It was the best years of my aviation career, The variety of aircraft and helicopters qualified on was a challenge. You should do this.
Interesting career
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB15 January 2017
Arrive at work around 7:45. From 8 to 9 we had physical training. 9 to 10 was a shower and get change for work. The job is very slow and most days we did not do much.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Very bad work environment
Great place for physical training while getting paid.
Light Armoured Vehicle Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2017
Up early every day. Do your job and keep your mouth shut. Listen carefully to instructions. Best bunch of people I ever worked with. Sleep deprivation was probably the toughest, but the hallucinations were kinda cool. Most enjoyable had to be the toys that made noise.
Amazing experience
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ontario, Canada12 January 2017
We would attend our morning meeting followed by seeing patients during our walk in hours. Once walk-ins were complete we would see patients throughout the day assisting doctors with procedures and mainting the hospital.
A career and a way of life....
MILITARY FIREFIGHTER (Former Employee) –  Various postings across Canada11 January 2017
Throughout my adult life I was employed within the Canadian Armed Forces. I joined as a young man and quickly learned that integrity, maturity and dedication would make you or break you in life. As a career member I was exposed to good times and bad, times of rebuild and times of cuts, times of public support and times when there seemed like there was no support whatsoever. You had no choice but to realize the importance of being professional, skilled to the best of your ability and loyal. These things were the foundation of being both successful and effective in whatever task was at hand.
Having worked in the extreme variety of situations and circumstances that I faced, I feel that with the support of my family, friends and the communities where I lived and worked, made me a better person then I ever imagined. I learned to appreciate the little things in life and to be ready for any situation that was sent my way.
I worked with amazing leaders and other who were less skilled in these positions. I tried to take something from my peers, superiors and later on my subordinates that would make me better at whatever I was employed to do. I learned to respect others and that the best leaders were also the best followers.
I am extremely proud of my service and I feel fortunate that I was able to serve my country in a career that even though there was as many good days as bad, I was able to support my family and give something back to society.
Stable but slow
Communications Research Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2017
Working in the Canadian Forces is a great safe and stable career if you have the discipline for it, but management is very slow, your career will advance very slowly if you leave your fate in the hands of the higher ups, take things into your own hands and push for progress to get anywhere in the reserve
Pros
Great Social
Where I work
Signaler (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 January 2017
I work for the army as a signaler.

Once a week we organize and test equipment. Usually once a month we go outdoors on exercises.

I've learned basic military training.
Be all that you can be
Finance and Logistics (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2017
The greatest environment for workers to expand their talents with no limitations. Cons would be family and quality time with them, Pros were that I learned different systems while working in different locations.
Pros
Be prepared to grow and learn
Cons
family life is tough because of travel.
Great balance of leadership, physical fitness and esprit decor
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT10 January 2017
Best job I ever had. An ever challenging, results oriented career that provided me the opportunity to travel extensively throughout the Northwest Territories to many remote villages and communities and meet with local elders and community leaders.
Pros
Job enrichment and travel
Secure, advancement ops, diverse
Aviator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON9 January 2017
The Canadian Armed Forces is a working culture unique from all other working environments. It is one entity, but contains every trade known. As a PAT (personnel awaiting training), I work daily in the air hangar canteen. It is a nice, although strict, working environment.
Pros
secure job
Cons
strict timings

4.3