National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Excellent Job to push yourself
Canadian Forces Class B Reserve Officer (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB13 July 2017
There is no other job like it. Name another job where you build on your leadership skills and teamwork skills. This job allows you to travel the world and really push your comfort zone.
outstanding experience
Retired Warrant Officer / Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  All over Canada and Overseas11 July 2017
The Canadian military offers great opportunity, development, training and experience.

22 years of service proved to be the best years of my life team spirit, training, overseas deployment.

THERE IS NO LIFE LIKE IT :-)
Pros
Life experience
Fun, team environment workplace
Arena/Outdoor Facilities Manager - PSP (Former Employee) –  Shearwater, NS6 July 2017
Managed 12-15 employees. Responsible for recreational facility management and Fitness and Sports of the Canadian Military. Our workplace worked very close to one another and each position required others to help make our jobs successful. Without being an actual member of the Canadian Forces we were still very close with the members making us feel like a family. Hardest part of the job was a majority of the time having our company ran "military style." Lower level employees voices were often ignored and placed in different categories. I was the type of manager who would involve all of my employees in brainstorm discussions in order to make the workplace better each and every day. It created a very healthy and fun environment to work in.
Pros
Cons
Job security due to government cutbacks
It's the Army
Heavy Equipment Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Various Locations20 June 2017
It takes a full time dedication to be successful. Long hours, hard conditions. Good pay and a pension. Time off is excellent and you learn your trade while getting paid for it.
Awesome Very Fun Job
AIR CADET SUMMER TRAINING CENTER STAFF (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MB19 June 2017
I learned how to do inventory, work security, canteen sales, and much more. The management was fairly relaxed and you always knew what was going on around you. My job was to run and maintain the cadet canteen during the evenings and do security sweeps and bed checks at night. The hardest part was when the older course cadets were acting up and not following orders because they didn't respect you. Overall I loved the job the other staff was awesome and the off time was fun.
Pros
short hours, good pay, and awesome people.
Cons
no time to go home you are there for 7 weeks straight.
Good benefit, Good career progression
I. Recruiting Officer (1st Field Regiment) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 June 2017
I am currently a member of the reserve forces and was first in the regular force. The training was good and paid well. Although when i was at RMC pay was low.
National Defence contractor
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 June 2017
Purchase of weaponized unmanned combat aerial vehicles UAV. Purchase was made to provide troops with aerial support for defence and offence. I am limited by the official secrets act on how much information I can talk about.
Pros
exciting
Cons
ehausting
fun place
Computer tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON17 June 2017
My experience working for arm forces was totally remarkable.I learned so much about the military and procedures. How they do things the officers are a great. The job is hard work but a very fun place to work and you form some great relationships.
Pros
all good
Ever challenging work envirnoment
Sergeant Veh Tech at Base Maintenance Wainwright (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB13 June 2017
Broad spectrum of experience on all types of equipment. Complex recovery operations. No career advancement opportunities. Excellent job security. Good benefits
Pros
Security
Cons
Pay
Fun work place kind people to work with
Stores Person (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC9 June 2017
Working with a great crew has a lot of good points, All day of work we worked together and alone at the same time helped out when needed.
The manager was a good guy to work with, He has understood how all have worked with him as he was our manger, but he was a team worker.
I have had a great team to work with awesome surrounding.
All and all it has a good point to feel the work place had a family like feeling.
Pros
educational, good work ethic great team
Cons
Long commute, work load piles some days heavy, short lunch hr
Great career
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2017
Great career , was paid to train as an electrician technician with lots of experience, while being paid to traveling the world. Free medical and dental care
Pros
free education
Great Environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2017
New to me I have no complaints I hope you can find me something I have done a lot of work for National Defence. Good contracts easy work and great people.
Pros
Good People
More than a job
Marine Engineering Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Halifax, N.S.5 June 2017
the military is a lifestyle choice. great while you are young, the right person can make it work later on with family life. excellent pay and benefits
Workplace
Reservist Officer Sea Cadets (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 June 2017
As a cadet officer for 30 years I really enjoyed meeting so many people from so man y different cultures. It was a relaxing place to work. Everyone was there to help one another. It was a job a look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Meeting so many different peopleom all walks of life.
Cons
Seasons too short
Young Man's Game
Army Communications Information Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC29 May 2017
I enjoyed my career with DND, You have to be very flexible for work life vs home life.
There's a lot to learn and do but in the Trade there are not enough people to do the job.
Montreal has a lot of civilians and their look at the mission first can wait till tomorrow or later.
Pros
advancement opportunity
Cons
Family - personal VS Work life
Great Student Placement
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 May 2017
Workplace culture was great. A good place for a student placement to get your foot in the door, you'll always find help and develop your skills if you are willing.
Awesome work place
Junior IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2017
Great work environment and team. Great enviornmrnt. Lots of team building. Tons of support from your peers and those higher up. High level management are open for communication, and make learning easy
Demanding Job
Senior Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 May 2017
Budget cutbacks affect everything from equipment to salary, but most of all, they affect morale. Job has treated me well and afforded me the opportunity to see parts of the world I never would have ventured otherwise. Comraderie is indescribable, but it certainly helps make the difficult times worth the effort!
nesop
Naval Electronic Sensor Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 May 2017
went through basic training, and my seamanship training, then post to Victoria, I loved my time in the military but alas I started a family and had to leave
Best place I ever worked
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Various bases in Canada16 May 2017
I loved the military life. You woke up each day looking forward to going to work. The people you meet become lifelong friends. You get to travel to places you never imagined that you would see. You get to help out your country when a disaster happens. Makes you feel proud to be a Canadian

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3