National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Ok
Officer, Army Reserves (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 December 2016
It's not too bad. Getting things done takes forever. You have to jump through hoops to get anywhere and get the results you're looking for.
not a bad place if your young and single
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ON1 December 2016
learned all Canadian infantry weapon systems
learned tactics
staff and chain of command is generally good as long as your not on a pat platoon
hardest part of the job is sleep dep training
most enjoyable parts of the job would be battle excersize and weapon ranges
Pros
pension and benefits
Cons
no family life
Canadian Armed Forces
Aviator ecruit (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 November 2016
Everything about this job is amazing. Everyone should at least experience basic training. The the people you meet will leave a life long impression.
Pros
Cons
Life Style
Busy, interactive, ever changing
transport section supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wainwright, AB25 November 2016
constantly working with different sub units with in the military and new daily challenges to keep things interesting. lots of opportunities for advancement and qualification upgrades.
Pros
job security and benefits
Cons
Secure job with some challenges
Finance Manager / Administration Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 November 2016
management can be amazing or absolutely terrible, it all depends on who you get as a chain of command.
a lot of the work is very boring, monotonous. There are some opportunities to learn new things and undertake new challenges.
Most enjoyable part of the job is playing sports competitively for the military.
Pros
vacation days, sports
Cons
boring work, minimal flexibility for career
Committed to defending our country
Aviation Technician (Former Employee) –  Canada24 November 2016
While the Canadian Armed Forces can be a stressful and demanding career choice, being apart of it and able to defend our country is incredibly rewarding.
Excellent environment
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2016
Overall extremely satisfied with Employer with the only exception being in some areas of work. Depending on your trade you may be subjected to numerous and redundant debriefs or meetings that could be summarized weekly or by your supervisors without need to constantly leave workplace to attend these meetings. It became a demoralizer after years and years of this type events and individuals were seeing lack of sense of accomplishments towards their work when these meetings were so regular.
Pros
golf time every summer for some trades, and environments in Summer time and many picnics and pot lucks to reward job well done
Cons
continued overseas deployments without taking into account the harm to families
great place to work
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK14 November 2016
Only worked here for two weeks but when i was their i had a amazing time, great place to work and even more amazing kids. Amazing Facilities, lots of trips with the kids, and good equipment.
Pros
Field Trips with the Kids
Cons
breaks
Loved it
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC7 November 2016
Loved working with the Canadian Forces. Its tough and not for everyone. If you're interested, grow a second pair of skin because you'll need it once the first layer breaks.
Best Camp Out
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC6 November 2016
If you love camping this is the job for you. This career will bring you many rewards including: Travel to exotic places, build leadership skills, become a team player, hone your attention to detail.
Pros
You get to camp.
Cons
You have to camp in the rain.
Amazing workplace with great benefits.
Summer job as a Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 November 2016
This was my first job and here I gained most of the skills I now have. Everyone was very fun to work with and always willing to help. Multitasking was important so there was never a boring day.
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON1 November 2016
I have been in the dept of national defence for 32 years. It had taught me teamwork and to work for the greater good. I joint the Cf to represent our country abroad and at home ,
The CF lets a member expand and explore new trades and new friendships. It teaches a member work as a team or team player to get the job done and it builds esprit del corp in it's members. It had a very good pay scale
Pros
Treated like a family member
Cons
Could be long hours
Staff Officer-Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg31 October 2016
Excellent leadership with a commitment to lifelong learning. While working with the DND I had an opportunity to complete my degree, while maintaining regular employment.

Very supportive environment with a great sense of camaraderie with many amazing travel opportunities.
Pros
Lifelong learning, advancement, strong leadership, great supports
Cons
NA
productive and energetic workplace
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
Been with DND since 1999, loved it since day 1 never looked back! great supervisors/coworkers wonderful schedule and work atmosphere.
like working with kids
Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB22 October 2016
I worked with union guys, they never did any of the work, they took the days off when it snowed. frustrating. just glad they have a budget for hiring other people to work and pay them too much compared to the rest of the province
Pros
good pay
Cons
disapointing workforce
Excellent Job for Students
FOS 2 Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS19 October 2016
The hours are great, though a six am start time is not always admired. I received my schedule a month in advance, which allows for easy planning. The management is great - stern but polite. My co-workers are very nice, and the job pays well. The only down-side to the job is that my pay goes through the Phoenix Payroll System. My pay is over a month late.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS14 October 2016
Working for the CO of Wing Ops was a very rewarding experience. I was honoured to have worked with many great colleagues.
military operation
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 October 2016
good life experience, a lot of training, lot of world traveling, good for young to perform and learn new skills, adventure and experience well acquired through a lot a well training course.
Its not for everyone, but anyone that is strong minded can do it.
Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada28 September 2016
Just like the summary says. It isn't for everyone but if you believe in yourself, you can achieve a lot in the Armed Forces. Work smarter NOT harder. HUA!
Productive and fun work place at DND
Records Management Specialist – Contract (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 September 2016
There is always work to be done. Learning new things is endless. Management is okay. My co-workers are great. My hardest part about my job is that I don't know if I am going to have a job after my contract is up. My most enjoyable part of my job would be working.

4.3