National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

classified
corpral (Former Employee) –  200 james st hamiltion26 April 2017
it was a good job good people good time hard time. i just feel ive done my part and are now looking for bigger and better things. it was difficult at times but if it was easy everyone would do it
Pros
free luch discounts
Cons
hardiest thing ive ever done
Electro optic technologist
Electro-Optics Technologist (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
A typical day at work depends on the status on the project(s) that I am working on. Most of the time a couple hours in the lab and some time writing reports. The planning of how to test the laser systems takes the most time and then the fun of setting up the testing equipment can begin.
Poor on the equipment
Marine engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2017
Considering that a typical commercial ship life is 25 years, the boats I worked on were very old. Equipment is old. Crews are what makes this thing work properly.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Poor purchasing practices of the Canadian government
Summer staff cadet was an awesome position
Summer staff cadet (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON19 April 2017
Lots of chances to advance your leadership and to grow as an individual. Pushes you to be your best.would recommend to any cadet. Best summer camp ever.
Canadian Forces
Marine Engineer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 April 2017
Good organization to build teamwork and learn valuable skills and job experience. I received my Marine Engineering qualifications within the Navy from the CF and have used it to further my carrier outside of the forces. I recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge.
Great opportunity to travel and expand your horizons.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON15 April 2017
Great place to work with great opportunity for advancement. It is a great opportunity to live in different cities, provinces and sometimes countries.

This is a good life experience for your family, it teaches your children the flexibility they need in life. I highly recommend it.
Not family driven
Marine Engineering Technician (Gas Turbine Expert) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 April 2017
Poor work life balance, good pay and benefits, poor leadership in mid range management, lots of advancement opportunities, away from home over 6 months a year.
Execellent learning environment and fairness, profesional leadership
Information Adminisitrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2017
I was a Contractor at DND, so I was not earning or operating at my full potential. The management was understanding, and approachable. Security a necessity, I have Secret Clearance. I viewed my work as a personal reflection. The organization is vas, and always provided training when needed. Excellent leadership, and straight forward policies. Client relations internal and external was highly regulated to enforce respect and prompt attention as desired. I frequently was encouraged to interact with all colleagues around me, whether they worked in my department or not and ask questions.
Pros
Understanding of occassional coffee trips.
Cons
My contractor kept half my pay, but DND had nothing to do with that arrangment.
Great work environment and Awesome People
IM/IT Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
To date this has been my favorite place to work by far. Great work location. Free parking. Very friendly professional staff. I have no complaints whatsoever about the job.
Enjoyable FSWEP Student Experience
Junior Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
Being that it was the first time working for the Government, I really enjoyed being here and learning so many skills and working with a supportive and friendly team. I learned many new things about the government and national defense which I will use for my career in the future, to be an aspiring social worker in the military.
Pros
Flexible work Hours
Cons
Phoenix Pay System

Want to know more about National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces?

Ask a question
Awesome part time job
Army Reserve Crew Man (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 April 2017
Its like no other job. I've learned so much about leadership, combat, teamwork and how to use all kinds of weaponry. There is always great leaders and the help to develop everyone to be better. Best Job I've ever had.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the country
Cons
Never enough sleep.
Supply technician
Supply Technician / Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
Go to work run about n10k then do warehouse work like costumer services, repair and disposal, play hockey than council people with addiction issues and or PTSD.
not what i thought it to be
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2017
It was fun and I enjoyed it, but pay was not enough and it was taking away from my life outside of the military. I learned a lot about the content, I liked working with guns and doing the training. I did not enjoy how it changed my attitude towards others. Staff was alright.
Gone a lot
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
Good place if you like being away all the time with no family life especially the combat arms trades. Met a lot of good people during my time there. Good benefits.
Good job security and benefits, not a good place to raise a family
Artilleryman (Former Employee) –  Ontario & Manitoba3 March 2017
Top-of-the-line benefits, really good job security that is not dependent on the stability of the economy. Feedom to do lots of new and exciting things, outside your job title. Good supports in all aspects of one's life is available . Long hours, lots of time spent away from family and friends Not a good environment to raise a family.
Pros
lots of support, whatever you need, you will have it
Cons
Long hours, lots of time away from home
embedded contractor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 March 2017
I found dnd to be a good place to work . Great group of people to correspond with . Everything ran smooth for the better part . Renewing contracts is a political battle is the only downfall .
Pros
CONSISTANCY
Cons
CONTRACT EMPLOYMENT
Fun moments but difficult life
2 Field Ambulance, Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON1 March 2017
The CAF was great career and lots of opportunities for advancement. Pay and benefits are very good. Also, the people that you meet in the CAF are amazing as well. Hardest part of the job is the time away from home.
Wide variety of experiences, great job security
Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Various25 February 2017
25 years with DND/CAF. Very rewarding position / experiences. Extremely busy with heavy demands (i.e. operational deployments). Good salary, great benefits - positive culture.
Pros
Compensation and benefits, job security
Cons
frequent moves
Challenging, but rewarding environment
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 February 2017
The military offers a unique work experience which requires a support system and dedication. There are many benefits, such as health care, dental care, family health insurance, paid vacation, etc. As well, the opportunity to travel to various places domestic and international.
On the flip side, it means having to leave your family for extended period of times, sometimes going to dangerous environments, being an intergral part of a heirarchy and living by a specif set of rules and regulations (obviously including those established by civilian law authorities).
Pros
Diverse work environment, challenging, advancement options
Cons
Leaving family for extended periods of time, potention for dangerous situations
great people bad management
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON17 February 2017
busy
how to be a firefighter
some good others shouldn't be in there position at all
very good it is a second family
putting up with stupidity of a boss that should be there
helping others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3