National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Good friends
Good job
Good business

Livin' the dream
Hard people doing hard work
With plenty of good times in between.
Pros
Government
Great camaraderie with coworkers. Great challenges , lots of sports opportunities
Communication Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON & Kingston, ON17 January 2017
Fitness training in the morning
Communication reaserch : interception, analysis, direction finding, jamming of signals (wether it was morse code, voice, satellite and encrypted messages)
Learn many skills like typing, Spanish, driving 1.5, 5 tones vehicles and armoured vehicles. First Aid. Weapons control and many other military skill.
Pros
Awesome teamwork. Traveling. Meeting friends from all over Canada
Cons
Gone away from home for a long time from home
no life like it
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
It was the best years of my aviation career, The variety of aircraft and helicopters qualified on was a challenge. You should do this.
Interesting career
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB15 January 2017
Arrive at work around 7:45. From 8 to 9 we had physical training. 9 to 10 was a shower and get change for work. The job is very slow and most days we did not do much.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Very bad work environment
Great place for physical training while getting paid.
Light Armoured Vehicle Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2017
Up early every day. Do your job and keep your mouth shut. Listen carefully to instructions. Best bunch of people I ever worked with. Sleep deprivation was probably the toughest, but the hallucinations were kinda cool. Most enjoyable had to be the toys that made noise.
Amazing experience
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ontario, Canada12 January 2017
We would attend our morning meeting followed by seeing patients during our walk in hours. Once walk-ins were complete we would see patients throughout the day assisting doctors with procedures and mainting the hospital.
A career and a way of life....
MILITARY FIREFIGHTER (Former Employee) –  Various postings across Canada11 January 2017
Throughout my adult life I was employed within the Canadian Armed Forces. I joined as a young man and quickly learned that integrity, maturity and dedication would make you or break you in life. As a career member I was exposed to good times and bad, times of rebuild and times of cuts, times of public support and times when there seemed like there was no support whatsoever. You had no choice but to realize the importance of being professional, skilled to the best of your ability and loyal. These things were the foundation of being both successful and effective in whatever task was at hand.
Having worked in the extreme variety of situations and circumstances that I faced, I feel that with the support of my family, friends and the communities where I lived and worked, made me a better person then I ever imagined. I learned to appreciate the little things in life and to be ready for any situation that was sent my way.
I worked with amazing leaders and other who were less skilled in these positions. I tried to take something from my peers, superiors and later on my subordinates that would make me better at whatever I was employed to do. I learned to respect others and that the best leaders were also the best followers.
I am extremely proud of my service and I feel fortunate that I was able to serve my country in a career that even though there was as many good days as bad, I was able to support my family and give something back to society.
Stable but slow
Communications Research Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2017
Working in the Canadian Forces is a great safe and stable career if you have the discipline for it, but management is very slow, your career will advance very slowly if you leave your fate in the hands of the higher ups, take things into your own hands and push for progress to get anywhere in the reserve
Pros
Great Social
Where I work
Signaler (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 January 2017
I work for the army as a signaler.

Once a week we organize and test equipment. Usually once a month we go outdoors on exercises.

I've learned basic military training.
Be all that you can be
Finance and Logistics (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2017
The greatest environment for workers to expand their talents with no limitations. Cons would be family and quality time with them, Pros were that I learned different systems while working in different locations.
Pros
Be prepared to grow and learn
Cons
family life is tough because of travel.
Great balance of leadership, physical fitness and esprit decor
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT10 January 2017
Best job I ever had. An ever challenging, results oriented career that provided me the opportunity to travel extensively throughout the Northwest Territories to many remote villages and communities and meet with local elders and community leaders.
Pros
Job enrichment and travel
Secure, advancement ops, diverse
Aviator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON9 January 2017
The Canadian Armed Forces is a working culture unique from all other working environments. It is one entity, but contains every trade known. As a PAT (personnel awaiting training), I work daily in the air hangar canteen. It is a nice, although strict, working environment.
Pros
secure job
Cons
strict timings
very good for schooling and learning to work in different environments.
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Canada9 January 2017
a great place to start your career and lean new things about work place, people, who you are and how well you can work in different environments.

its almost a normal day at any shop just with the army twist and culture.

the people you work with will work the best with you as soon as they can see they trust you, everyone is trying to be the best at working as a team.

the best part of the job for me was the different vehicles you get to work on and all they differences between the vehicles, plus the fact of being a part of a very specific precise organization and getting things done they way they do it.
Pros
great benefits, great schooling
Cons
long hours, long periods of time away from home, haveing to move alot
bin my most dependable and fair job.
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 January 2017
The day's we work vary a fair bit which is one of the good parts about the job. We function in a high stress environment were the slightest mistake will have some one killed or wounded. With that said a sens of hummer is one of the most important things to have.
Pros
The job has good security and I like the people I work with.
Cons
Exercises are predictable and noncompetitive.
fast paced working environment
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 January 2017
casual work with benefits, fast paced. a typical day is serving people booze and monitoring their liquor consumption, and making sure they get home safely.
Very rewarding
Naval Combat Information Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 January 2017
- Can be time demanding, with extended periods away from family.
- Very rewarding and quick advancement for those willing to put in the time and effort.
Prison.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON4 January 2017
There is no more dishonest place I've ever seen. Jobs and promotions based on back-door deals. Crooked people on both the civilian and military side. Because of union, civilians are protected from such things as drug testing, which could easily be used by certain parties to compromise the security of the place. Find addicts and spouse cheaters common place around the base. The work culture features a bunch of people who end up hen-pecking each other until relationships are truly a game of Spy VS Spy. The amount of work accomplished compared to the amount of money spent is truly pathetic. 90% of it could be contracted out for cheaper.
Best job I had
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC/Cold Lake AB/Petawawa ON3 January 2017
The military was the best jobs that I had. There was comrodary. You enjoyed working with your coworkers. The military took very good care of you. And safety was not overlooked.
Pros
A great place to work
Cons
Cant really think of any
Great life experience
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 January 2017
There has to be some sort of balance between work and personal life. In general, having that sense of balance will improve job satisfaction among employees because they will feel that they’re not overlooking the other areas of their lives that are, if not more, important to them than work.
Pros
training
Cons
weather
Life is great
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Various27 December 2016
Good job,great pay for the work done though at times work can be hard. Very rewarding and a lot of the stuff that you get to do you can only do with them.

4.3