National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Great experience
Corporal, Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 February 2018
Was able to travel the world, work in a unique environment as part of a team. Provided a secure life for myself and my family. Really enjoyed my time there.
Great career opertunity
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Cfb petawawa15 February 2018
Had a great 22 year career learned many skills along the way. A lot of leadership opertunity and a chance to see the world. High tempo work place with a high demand and physical fitness.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Full of ups and downs
Great work environment with very interesting and rewarding work.
Subject Mater Expert/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa-Gatineau, ON11 February 2018
Good work environment, much work is underway to improve processes and the quality of the IM/IT Services. I have really enjoyed my time at DND and would welcome any further opportunity with this organization.
Electronics Technician
ATISS Tech (Former Employee) –  Canada wide11 February 2018
Working with the Military is a huge mental challenge. Command structure is very rigid. Policies are strictly adhered to. Work is very challenging as a Airfield Tech.
Splendidly Mediocre
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2018
- Usually work moves at mind numbing pace
- A lot of employees also take it slow
- Bureaucratic
- Direct managers were extremely understanding and kind
Pros
Relaxing job
Cons
Can get very depressing
Productive and exciting Workplace.
Squadron Sargeant Major (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2018
My typical day starts with me prioritizing my work load for the day. Scheduling meeting to discuss a variety of issues with different organizations. Followed by supervising/mentoring my direct subordinates and verify that all tasks are being completed.
Pros
Gaining knowledge and expeirence
Cons
Long Hours
Great experience!
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2018
Great place to work with endless opportunity to learn and try new things. Enjoy going into work and look forward to doing something new every day with purpose.
Difficult for personal life
INTELLIGENCE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 February 2018
Very difficult to have any sort of personal life. The military is a very complex bureaucracy that is very frustrating to work in, in most cases its the worst part of a union mixed with no distinguishable personal rights.

If your single and can keep your mouth shut and dont mind getting shot at, then the pay is ok.... but there are easier ways to contribute to society and keep your head intact.
DND was a great place to work! I am anxious to get a job there again as soon as possible.
Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC6 February 2018
I have worked at the Department of National Defence (DND), four times over the course of my career, as a civilian and I really enjoyed all of the positions that I worked in there and am anxious to work there again.

The people were great and I learned about many different aspects of the organization as a result of working in different sections and buildings.
Amazing exp
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2018
I love the people and opportunities that come with working with the Canadian forces they have so much to offfer and also help you with school so it’s a great starter for students.
Soldier
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON5 February 2018
As an infantry soldier you will be part of the army’s front-line team, and you're likely to get involved in everything from peacekeeping and disaster relief to full-scale war. Once you’ve undergone your training, there are a huge range of options for newly qualified infantry soldiers:
Pros
Was fun and exciting shooting guns and propelling from buildings
Cons
had to stay awake for 3 days during basic training and people yelling
Do what you enjoy
Medical Assistant..then Phtsician Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2018
The military helped me become a well rounded person.
I was a loyal soldier and became a great team player.
I learned to be a good problem solver.
I understood to value what I have after seeing so many people with little.
I became more involved in volunteer work.
I learned to interact more with people around the world.
I learned German while posted in Lahr and helped soldiers newly posted in to find accommodation for their families.

I am glad I made it my career to teach young soldiers to become better skilled and mature to instill confidence.

There truly is no life like it.
Pros
No worries about what to wear. Much variety. Physical training
Cons
too much gossip. seems like to more education a new recruit has..the lazier they are.
Infantry review
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Val-belair, QC31 January 2018
Typical days in the forces included class room lectures, learning and being taught how to be a soldier.
LOTS and lots of marching.
There are also battlefield exercises, as well as range firing.
The hardest art of the job is the waiting around.
The best part is all that waiting was worth it.
Good Experience
Reserve Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2018
The CAF offers a whole new world of opportunities to train and learn new things each and every day. CAF works hard to treat its members well especially if the members put effort into their training.
great place to work, be prepared to work hard
Private (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 January 2018
training is pretty hard but after that, it gets easier. Get in shape for your BMQ and trade courses and it will make it that much easier on yourself. Be a team player, help out your buddies.
Makes me a better person
reservist Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shearwater, NS30 January 2018
Always pushing and learning more about myself in this job. Sometimes things aren't as organized as they could be, however overall it's been a great experience.
Tremendously purposeful occupation with plenty of Professional Development
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 January 2018
Many days are high stress, with long hours. Being hierarchical, there is not any shortage of humility. However, there is an underlying reason to many of the mental adversities of which each member is forced to endure. Before you realize, camaraderie, morale and cohesion is built amongst your group. Furthermore, this organization will push you to the point where you realize that you are capable of things that you may not have believed otherwise.
Pros
Adventure and Unique Experiences, Specialized Training, Accquiring Leadership Skills
Cons
Being removed from Loved ones
Free training and travel.
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Goose Bay Laborador29 January 2018
I had no issues during my service in the CAF.
I met a lot of great people and was taught a lot of skill in both driving and general vehicle maintenance.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours at times
Great benefits and Education Opportunities
ETHICS POLICY AND TRAINING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 January 2018
The opportunity to travel and live across the country and serve on operational deployments has been excellent. Many great leaders and soldiers who I have met over the years will remain friends for a lifetime.
good environment, good location and good work.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  carling campus ottawa25 January 2018
I have been working at National Defence for a number of years and enjoyed every minute, The employers here are very understanding and have great respect for their employees. Even as a Contractor, we are treated in the same manner as the regular employees and that is a really a big plus.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3