One (1) year term (Salary Commensurate with Experience)
Canada’s National Arts Centre is the nation’s premiere performing arts centre distinguished nationally and internationally by its unique bilingual, multidisciplinary programming in music, dance and theatre. Located in Ottawa, the National Arts Centre is home to the National Arts Centre Orchestra (NACO). Under the direction of Pinchas Zukerman, Music Director, the NAC Orchestra is an internationally acclaimed ensemble of 61 full-time musicians, which performs an annual season of concerts, opera, ballet, recordings, national and international tours. In addition to the standard repertoire, the NAC Orchestra performs a pops series under the direction of Principal Pops Conductor Jack Everly and has an active program of commissioning new works.
Reporting to the Managing Director of the National Arts Centre Orchestra, the Artistic Administrator is a senior manager who collaborates closely with the Music Director to plan artistic programming for the Orchestra. The position requires balancing artistic and financial concerns and the development of a broad spectrum of artistic relationships to further the vision of the Music Director within the strategic priorities and resources of the National Arts Centre. The Artistic Administrator works effectively on a senior management team to accomplish the goals of the Orchestra and the Music Department.
The successful candidate will have at least five (5) years of experience in artistic planning for a major symphony orchestra and extensive knowledge of orchestral repertoire, artists, and orchestral programming among the major North American and European orchestras. In addition, the candidate will have:
- a university or post-graduate degree in music including studies of music history, instrumental performance, and score reading;
- professional experience working closely with a Music Director to develop long-range artistic plans and the ability to translate a Music Director’s vision into practical programming steps;
- ability to set priorities, manage large scale projects or processes and deliver results to an established standard, on time, and on budget;
- a thorough knowledge of the major artistic agencies;
- experience in relating to a wide range of artistic personalities;
- familiarity with AF of M labour environment;
- experience in contract writing and familiarity with the engagement terms of international musical artists;
- strong ability to project expenses and manage a budget;
- excellent communication skills including diplomacy, written skills, presentation skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team;
- A blend of creative and administrative personality traits and an ability to translate from one culture to the other fluently.
Please note that preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Applications made by persons who are not Canadian citizens are accepted; however, if there are sufficient qualified applicants who are Canadian citizens, the selection will be confined to those applicants.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Please indicate your interest in this position by sending your resume and letter of application no later than November 14, 2012 to:
Artistic Administrator Search Committee
National Arts Centre
P.O. Box 1534, Station “B”
Fax: 613 943.1402.