NALCO CHAMPION Employee Reviews

Productive and engaging workplace with esteemed professionals
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJuly 21, 2016
Tremendous work atmosphere that always encouraged personal improvement at tasks at hand. My proudest moments were being able to apply my basic knowledge in Fluid Mechanics to prepare fluid data sheets to the amazement of my superiors.
Pros
Opportunity and privilege to work with experienced Professional Engineers
Cons
Being overlooked during meetings
Fun and knowledgeable work environment, but slow to promote
Automation Innovation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
Nalco Champion has been a wonderful company to work for until recently. Some of this has to do with the recent problems in the Oil and Gas industry as a whole, however the work environment has also changed in recent years. Teamwork is encouraged as well as seeking out responsibilities and leadership opportunities, but this additional work has rarely been rewarded with quick promotion or raises. I enjoy working with the people at the company and our interactions with our customers. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when completing projects and goals.
Things is getting worse after the merger
Project Process Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2016
I was a process engineer for Champion company which was merged with Nalco in early 2014. After the merger, most ex Champion employees are either fired for leaving the company voluntarily. The job security is no longer available.
My Experience of Three and a half Years with Nalco Champion
District Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscat, OmanJune 20, 2016
Joined right before the acquisition of Champion in 2012. Company strong in sales, marketing and presentations. Excellent products on water side, good products on oil side. Technical support is customer and region selective. Excellent compensation. Poor job security due to bias from management based on years with the company and country of origin. Co-workers "generally" fine. Hardest part of the job is getting the internal support needed to get the job done.
Management (at least middle management) focus is on short term sales results rather than long term quality service to customers. A total lack of experience at middle management level can be disastrous to company future on the medium to long term.
I believe they need to hire some veterans in the industry and listen to them rather than telling them what to do. :)
Pros
Big respectable name in the OFC field.
Cons
Middle management inexperience and short sightedness.
Excellent supervisor to work for
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJune 6, 2016
Wake up and i would be working with a great supervisor everyday who knows how to get work done and have fun at the same time.
Warehouse/yard operative (Former Employee) –  AberdeenJune 3, 2016
Really not bad place to work, friendly staff however lack of communication between office/management and yard ops. I was working there over a year and was told Im doing good but they let me go without any notice or warning
Pros
shifts/time off
Cons
supervising
Happy to work here
Administrative Assist/ Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naples, UTJune 2, 2016
Best work place.
Had fantastic co workers.
Management was great.

Hardest part was leaving the job and the best part was working with some fantastic people gaining experience.
Well rounded natural gas chemical provider
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  PA, WV, OHApril 18, 2016
Position requires the ability to manage your time wisely. You are giving the leniency to prioritize your work schedule within guidlines.
Good and bad
Customer service associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 4, 2016
This job was good and bad. The pay was great with great benefits, but there was no growth in my current position. It is a great company to work for, but in the customer service side people forget you exist.
Benefits
Cons
Merit & pay freezes
Very strong products.
Account Manager III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
Many good and bad. Company was originally Champion Technologies. The company went down hill after Nalco bought Champion. Good management left company.
Pros
ccompensation
Cons
very weak management
Great work atmosphere and great pay.
Frac Technician (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDMarch 30, 2016
High paying, high demand job. Typical day went from 4 am to 8 pm or 4 pm to 8 am, this includes a typical 2 hr drive to location. If working a shop day it went from 7 am to 5 pm. Some of the things I learned here are, but not limited to, how to handle chemicals safely, operating forklifts, diagnosing pump issues on site, and customer relations. The management was great there, very easy to work with and understanding of scheduling issues. Here all my co-workers were easy to get along with and helpful. Hardest part of the job was working long hour days for many consecutive days. What I enjoyed most working here was the amount of responsibility given to the employees.
Great Company - Tough Time
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
This is a great company to work for. Everyone is highly engaged in succeeding and though the company is transitioning still after being purchased by Ecolab and the merging of Nalco & Champion, the culture is truly building into an environment where people want to care about each other's development. Management is trying to promote this culture, and hopefully it succeeds.

Management has hard expectations from corporate, which leads to a high stress environment, but I cannot think of any large publicly owned corporation that doesn't have this.
Pros
Good management, salary, innovative company, great CEO
Cons
Stressful environment at times, Some long hours
Difficult path for advancment
District Representative (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 16, 2016
Has provided for me and my family but has been a roller coaster. Difficult politics that dictate advancement. Company is losing relevance in market despite having strongest product line. Very little perceived corporate support towards domestic business unit.
Gave me an opportunity to enter a new work field
Production Technician III (Current Employee) –  Fresno, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Nalco Champion is a good company to work for. They have given me the opportunity to enter a new field of work. Coming from a sales position at Coca-Cola to the chemical industry. The pay is lower than industry standards and I am looking to advance.
Pros
gained experience
Cons
pay and pregression scale
Great company to work for
District Representative II (Former Employee) –  Dilley, TXNovember 11, 2015
Although the oil industry is up and down, this company was great to work for. Unfortunately the oil industry is in a downturn causing many layoffs.
Pros
Great benefits and a happy culture
Cons
Part of the oil and gas industry which can be volatile
Good company with great people
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 26, 2015
Nalco Champion, an Ecolab Company is a global provider of specialty chemistry programs and related services for the oil and gas industry.
Very demanding yet no micromanaging; team oriented
Shipping & Receiving Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2015
Very professional, with different ethnicity. No micro managing, co-workers are professional, we work well together. Work is demanding yet challenging.
Pros
No Micro management
Cons
Dificult to promote
Very poor.
Chemical Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aztec, NMOctober 20, 2015
I worked for Nalco as a Chemical Delivery Specialist, (Driver). The management was very poor. They actually referred to themselves as kings while referring to the drivers as the peasants at one point. I eventually left due to the lies of advancement. I was often set up to fail only to be written up for noncompliance. I moved for an advancement position only to be told that I was a driver and that I would not be considered for advancement beyond the truck for the foreseeable future. All of this while I held a college degree and the stream of interns from the local collage came in and took the non-driving jobs. I left with two weeks notice and a verification from HR that I was re-hire-able. This lasted for about two weeks until I heard that they were telling people I was not re-hire-able. If you are reading this because you are considering this company for employment, do yourself a favor and keep looking, unless you like driving a big truck. Aside from that, the paychecks were decent and I made some good friends.The peasants need to stick together I guess against the kings!
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else.
I learned about being a professional
Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  Port HarcourtOctober 14, 2015
It was a great place to work and I had the opportunity to experience multiple job functions. I also like the fact that most promotion was from within
Pros
Opportunity to visit various locations
Cons
Non at this time
Great Company
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Great company who really takes care of and supports their employees. Focus on coaching for fulfillment and performance. Employees treat each other like family and support each other.
Pros
Strive to meet employees career growth plans
Cons
Top Heavy