NALCO CHAMPION Employee Reviews

Great Company - Tough Time
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
This is a great company to work for. Everyone is highly engaged in succeeding and though the company is transitioning still after being purchased by Ecolab and the merging of Nalco & Champion, the culture is truly building into an environment where people want to care about each other's development. Management is trying to promote this culture, and hopefully it succeeds.

Management has hard expectations from corporate, which leads to a high stress environment, but I cannot think of any large publicly owned corporation that doesn't have this.
Pros
Good management, salary, innovative company, great CEO
Cons
Stressful environment at times, Some long hours
Very strong products.
Account Manager III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
Many good and bad. Company was originally Champion Technologies. The company went down hill after Nalco bought Champion. Good management left company.
Pros
ccompensation
Cons
very weak management
Good and bad
Customer service associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 4, 2016
This job was good and bad. The pay was great with great benefits, but there was no growth in my current position. It is a great company to work for, but in the customer service side people forget you exist.
Benefits
Cons
Merit & pay freezes
Great company to work for
District Representative II (Former Employee) –  Dilley, TXNovember 11, 2015
Although the oil industry is up and down, this company was great to work for. Unfortunately the oil industry is in a downturn causing many layoffs.
Pros
Great benefits and a happy culture
Cons
Part of the oil and gas industry which can be volatile
Great work atmosphere and great pay.
Frac Technician (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDMarch 30, 2016
High paying, high demand job. Typical day went from 4 am to 8 pm or 4 pm to 8 am, this includes a typical 2 hr drive to location. If working a shop day it went from 7 am to 5 pm. Some of the things I learned here are, but not limited to, how to handle chemicals safely, operating forklifts, diagnosing pump issues on site, and customer relations. The management was great there, very easy to work with and understanding of scheduling issues. Here all my co-workers were easy to get along with and helpful. Hardest part of the job was working long hour days for many consecutive days. What I enjoyed most working here was the amount of responsibility given to the employees.
My Experience of Three and a half Years with Nalco Champion
District Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscat, OmanJune 20, 2016
Joined right before the acquisition of Champion in 2012. Company strong in sales, marketing and presentations. Excellent products on water side, good products on oil side. Technical support is customer and region selective. Excellent compensation. Poor job security due to bias from management based on years with the company and country of origin. Co-workers "generally" fine. Hardest part of the job is getting the internal support needed to get the job done.
Management (at least middle management) focus is on short term sales results rather than long term quality service to customers. A total lack of experience at middle management level can be disastrous to company future on the medium to long term.
I believe they need to hire some veterans in the industry and listen to them rather than telling them what to do. :)
Pros
Big respectable name in the OFC field.
Cons
Middle management inexperience and short sightedness.
Difficult path for advancment
District Representative (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 16, 2016
Has provided for me and my family but has been a roller coaster. Difficult politics that dictate advancement. Company is losing relevance in market despite having strongest product line. Very little perceived corporate support towards domestic business unit.
Very poor.
Chemical Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aztec, NMOctober 20, 2015
I worked for Nalco as a Chemical Delivery Specialist, (Driver). The management was very poor. They actually referred to themselves as kings while referring to the drivers as the peasants at one point. I eventually left due to the lies of advancement. I was often set up to fail only to be written up for noncompliance. I moved for an advancement position only to be told that I was a driver and that I would not be considered for advancement beyond the truck for the foreseeable future. All of this while I held a college degree and the stream of interns from the local collage came in and took the non-driving jobs. I left with two weeks notice and a verification from HR that I was re-hire-able. This lasted for about two weeks until I heard that they were telling people I was not re-hire-able. If you are reading this because you are considering this company for employment, do yourself a favor and keep looking, unless you like driving a big truck. Aside from that, the paychecks were decent and I made some good friends.The peasants need to stick together I guess against the kings!
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else.
North Dakota, In it for the money.
Driver - Chemical Delivery (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 8, 2015
I will start with the Pros because its a short list. It has good pay, or did. I used to be Champion and that was a fantastic company. Then Nalco bought it. The quality of everything dropped drastically. Customers were lost also. Then EcoLab bought it and it became Nalco Champion. Things entered a death spiral from there.

All the money is made on over time. The OT is constantly under attack. They want a 70 hour week performed in 55. It just isn't possible.

Management is clueless for the most part. It was the drivers experience that kept my location afloat despite new managements attempts to "fix" everything.

Benefits... meh. They were good. Once.

Everything comes down to being the drivers fault. Period. End of story. Upper to lower management and HR all agree on this. Despite the lip service you are "indirectly" encouraged and allowed to run illegally to complete orders, dispose of hazardous and toxic waste and just get the job done. If you put your foot down you get labeled a bad attitude. If you go along with it you are a team player right up until management needs to cover their buns. Then you get thrown to the wolves.

I and many others could go on for hours about what goes on in North Dakota but you get the idea.

Bottom line is if you work for these people, do it for the money.Get as much as you can as fast as you can and get out. Go find something that makes you happy.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the cameras in every vehicle that record your every move, every sound and every statistic your vehicle produces. Enjoy your 12 hour day with a camera in your
  more... face for every second of it.

Avoid this company unless you just need some cash short term.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Very production minded organization, like most others, reducing benifits and hiring less skill emplyees.
TPM Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Extremely variable, I attack problems, for a living, from repairing and cleaning Vessels and equipement, To streamling, and making operators, more efficient, and productive. I do this by helping them minimize down time, set up time, and clean up. I have a very good, relationship with my coworkers,

The Hardest Part of my job is trying to change old habits and cultures that no longer, benefit the process, or grow business,

The most enjoyable part of my job is watching people start to understand that culture change is not always a bad thing, but can help them do a better job, without as many headaches.
Pros
well established co.
Cons
insurance, is weak at best, and slowly killing our benefits.
Warehouse/yard operative (Former Employee) –  AberdeenJune 3, 2016
Really not bad place to work, friendly staff however lack of communication between office/management and yard ops. I was working there over a year and was told Im doing good but they let me go without any notice or warning
Pros
shifts/time off
Cons
supervising
Safety focus with a good work balance
Operational Excellence Manager Europe & Caspian (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SCTMay 4, 2015
Good company with a focus on safety. Recent acquisition affected both companies policies and benefits. Good work/life balance. Going through merger was a new experience for me.
Great upper management
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sugarland, TXFebruary 10, 2015
While working at this job I learned many new things and had a great experience. A typical day at work was very long, normally 15-20 hour days. The upper management was great and tried to help us out with hiring more people. The hardest part of this job was working the vey long days with little sleep. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with a great group of guys.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Good company
Chemical Sales (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXMay 31, 2015
Good Company. They have good benefits. They provide help when needed. Good Management. A company vehicle is provided to work in. The hrs are not extensive.
Pros
Good benefits
Happy to work here
Administrative Assist/ Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naples, UTJune 2, 2016
Best work place.
Had fantastic co workers.
Management was great.

Hardest part was leaving the job and the best part was working with some fantastic people gaining experience.
No Follow through, What a joke!
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma and OhioJuly 19, 2015
I gave them 3 years and 110% dedication for nothing! Any and all deals NEED TO BE IN WRITING, the management is horrible and childish. If you do not fit in the group that they create good luck. Also if you are not related to someone of importance in the company do not ever plan on getting promoted regardless of seniority or ability. There is absolutely no support and if you require your management to actually support you or help in any issues you had better plan on getting written up or fired.
Pros
Pay Check
Cons
Management, Insurance, Life/Work Balance, Everything else
Well rounded natural gas chemical provider
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  PA, WV, OHApril 18, 2016
Position requires the ability to manage your time wisely. You are giving the leniency to prioritize your work schedule within guidlines.
Gave me an opportunity to enter a new work field
Production Technician III (Current Employee) –  Fresno, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Nalco Champion is a good company to work for. They have given me the opportunity to enter a new field of work. Coming from a sales position at Coca-Cola to the chemical industry. The pay is lower than industry standards and I am looking to advance.
Pros
gained experience
Cons
pay and pregression scale
Excellent supervisor to work for
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJune 6, 2016
Wake up and i would be working with a great supervisor everyday who knows how to get work done and have fun at the same time.
Good Company to work for
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 15, 2015
NalcoChampion is a good company to work for. It is possible to move around in the company. There are great people at the company but they lost a lot of good talent after Ecolab acquired Champion Technologies.
Pros
Flex Fridays
Benefits