2 full-time permanent positions
This position reports directly to the Director of Communications & Community Engagement and is responsible for:
- the generation, production and management of information and knowledge to support the achievement of LHIN strategic directions, goals and objectives;
- coordinating a media relations program for the North West LHIN; and
- acting as the primary communications resource to key stakeholders, managing local issues and concerns, identifying and implementing communication and engagement methods, and building and maintaining effective relationships.
The incumbent will collaborate internally and externally to generate and disseminate various internal and external communication materials and publications, and in doing so, help to explain North West LHIN programs, initiatives and issues to various stakeholders/publics in a compelling way, demonstrating value-add.
The incumbent will draft and design news releases, key messages and announcements, collect and compile media contacts, organize media coverage for Northwest LHIN events and activities, and monitor media coverage.
The incumbent will also be required to identify and implement appropriate communication and stakeholder engagement methods, and to build internal communications and community engagement capacity, and assist with the development, implementation and coordination of corporate community engagement.
1. Research, prepare, develop and maintain/manage North West LHIN content for internal and external use.
2. Ensure overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex and diverse communication materials.
3. Ensure that corporate visual identity, graphic standards and other organizational standards and requirements are adhered to.
4. Develop (and/or project manage the development of) internal/external communication materials, processes and related best practices including, but not limited to: Annual Report, Accomplishments Document, LHINkages newsletter, LHINfo Minutes, Board highlights, speech writing, quote writing, key message development, magazine articles, memos, bulletins.
5. Help to build the North West LHIN brand, reputation and image.
6. Coordinate the ease of access to information for the public and ensure transparency in LHIN operations and communications.
7. Support Communications & New Media Consultant as required.
8. Ensure that all communication is compliant with the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) as it relates to North West LHIN operations.
9. All other duties as assigned.
10. Help to develop, implement, manage and monitor a comprehensive media relations strategy for the North West LHIN.
11. Develop media action plans including setting objectives, coordinating appropriate internal/external spokespeople and interview opportunities, preparing key messages and news releases, determining appropriate media outlets, and evaluating results.
12. Anticipate potential communication/media issues and consult internally as required to respond appropriately.
13. Proactively initiate media stories as well as respond to media inquiries.
14. Develop and manage media lists.
15. Develop and manage relationships with communications and media colleagues.
16. Plan and coordinate effective media publicity and special events, both regionally and provincially, working with other LHIN communicators to plan and coordinate communications strategies, media publicity, regarding province-wide activities, events and programs to promote a positive image.
17. Write news releases, backgrounders, Q & As, fact sheets, crisis communications materials, speeches, speaking notes, etc.
18. Support Communications & New Media Consultant as required.
19. All other duties as assigned.
20. Create opportunities for community engagement/involvement by planning, coordinating and delivering communications and consultations that contribute to positive relationships with diverse stakeholders.
21. Ability to consider such factors as audience characteristics, corporate vision and strategy, and potential sensitive or confidential issues.
22. Keep up-to-date records on consultation outcomes and monitor best practices in consultation and communication methodologies.
23. Conduct ongoing, iterative stakeholder analyses and market segmentation, identifying beliefs, needs, behaviour gaps and then develop/implement strategies to close the gaps.
24. Identify emerging issues in the community that require a communications response.
25. Develop presentations, surveys, focus groups, displays, employee forums, leader toolkits, key messages, etc.
26. Prepare community consultation plans and provide input on community engagement for the Integrated Health Services Plan, the Blueprint and other planning processes.
27. Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Team Members to ensure integrated planning and to ensure continuity of communication messaging during community consultation sessions.
28. Manage the coordination of LHIN community engagement events including planning, logistics and provide media relations support when required.
29. Provide facilitation expertise at community events to lead group discussions and debates on complex issues.
30. Perform report writing as appropriate including preparation of presentation materials, etc.
31. Develop and maintain positive relations with partners, providers, stakeholders and the public.
32. Fully comprehend and adhere to the LHIN Community Engagement Guidelines and Framework under the Local Health Systems Integration Act, 2006 (LHSIA).
33. Support Communications & New Media Consultant as required.
34. All other duties as assigned.
Post-secondary education in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related discipline.
Minimum three to five years of previous communications, public relations or marketing experience, preferably with the health sector; or the equivalent combination of education, experience and professional accreditation as required by North West LHIN.
Key Competencies (content, media relations, community engagement):
Exceptional verbal, written and editing communications skills (copy-editing, proof-reading).
Able to take complex subject matter and tell a simple and clear story.
Ability to work under tight deadlines.
Maintain writing guidelines and best practices to guide and ensure the creation of high quality communications.
Demonstrated ability to plan and write a broad range of exceptional copy in a variety of media platforms (key message development, newsletters, blogs, Annual Reports).
Perform production checks across a range of media and distribute communications to the organization.
Demonstrated confidence, tact and diplomacy in dealing with the media and the public.
Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate effective media publicity and special events.
Strong experience and track record for developing and successfully implementing social media strategy in a professional environment.
Current internal and external community engagement experience and expertise.
In-depth knowledge of stakeholder analysis and market segmentation strategies.
Sound knowledge, understanding and application of communications concepts, strategies, technical skills required in planning, execution and evaluation of communications plans for internal and external audiences.
Strong interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work effectively as an internal consultant and build strategic alliances with internal/external stakeholders.
Demonstrated experience in community outreach, consultation and stakeholder management, and familiarity with current theory and techniques of community engagement.
Demonstrated experience with facilitation techniques and processes, including experience developing and facilitating large, complex sessions involving diverse stakeholders.
Superior interpersonal and relationship management skills, supported by excellent written and oral communication skills.
Strong teamwork and customer service skills.
Proficiency with PC-based hardware/software and inter/intranets (CRM knowledge an asset).
Cross-functional Communications Competencies:
Excellent verbal, written and editing communication skills.
Outcome-driven, detail-oriented, analytical.
Ability to work well independently and collaboratively, in a high-performance team environment under extreme deadline pressure.
Proactive and flexible, able to adapt to rapid change environment.
Excellent time management skills, able to meet strict deadlines.
Experience handling large-scale projects, highly organized and able to multi-task.
Proven ability to implement communication plans at a tactical level.
Ability to develop and maintain internal and external relationships and linkages.
Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with highly sensitive issues with tact and discretion.
Demonstrated ability to plan and write a broad range of exceptional copy in a variety of media.
Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and resolve conflicts.
Creative and innovative with high energy and enthusiasm for advanced social technologies.
French language skills an asset.
For more information on the North West LHIN and for full details on this position, please visit our website at www.northwestlhin.on.ca. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter by February 28, 2013.