MV Transportation

MV Transportation Employee Reviews

Not a Good Environment
Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2016
Clock into work. Pick- up Your Worksheet and Inspect your Assign Vehicle.

I learned How to use the Orb- Star on the vehicle..

Management was manageable. Some days were better than most.

Co-Workers always rotated from shift to shifts. No real chemistry with your Co- Workers.

Hardest Part of the Day: Constants Vehicle & Orb- star not working from time to time. Constant Arguments between co- workers and management.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Day: Clock out and going home.
Pros
Available Hours
Cons
Old Equipment, Non- Verbal, Constant Arguments. No Benefits
Worst place i evere worked. Management are horrible.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 24, 2016
First of all in the interview they need to tell you , that their going to over work you and pay you minimum wage for six months. Also you will struggle to get a day off and will be called on your day off to work. Your benefits are horrible. For a single person you have a 4000dollar deductible. Your union but you are paying those union fees for nothing. Be ready to work 10, 11 and 12 hour shifts. Shame on this company for not treating new employees with and type of fairness. Overworked and really underpaid.
Pros
Paycheck, helping elderly
Cons
Everything else
Hard Working, Growing Company
Fairfax Region Controller (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 5, 2016
Things stay very busy and a lot is expected out of the accounting team. We are seen as the finance experts and work with/explain things to GMs, MMs, etc. who are not finance people. Room for advancement if you travel/relocate (at least out of VA). Good management
Pros
Get your hands on many aspects of the business
Cons
Work-life balance, benefits (improving, but not great)
Little to no support from corporate support staff
Director of Safety (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 21, 2016
After identifying several issues and concerns, the corporate level support people were contacted for assistance. However, no assistance or support was ever initiated or attempted by them. Just threats of making it happen or else.
Pros
Fair pay and benifits
Cons
No corporate support
Competitive company with growth oportunities
Director of Maintenance (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2016
Full support staff available for promotion opportunities. MV takes care of their employees and offers a great benefit package. They are an efficient company that provides safe, reliable, and clean transportation to the public.
Pros
Salary and team environment
At will company
DISPATCH ASSISTANT MANGER (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 16, 2016
Job is excellent if you need advancement and benefits. I started with the company in 2010 as a dispatcher, Then became a a Dispatch Supervisor in 2012, and was finally Promoted to my current position I'm currently in know .
No support from upper management, company has no direction
mech (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2015
General Managers yell at employees, very hostile work area, low pay, no raises, company may be but local management not willing to improve buses state of repair and constantly put unsafe buses in service, skirt required maintenance. Send buses out tow them back later attitude.
Pros
Cons
Evertyhing about this company
Horrible
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2015
My experience was horrible to say the least. I worked in corporate for almost 3 years until I found a better job. Management does not give 2 cents about the employees, training is non-existent and no one will have your back. The corporate culture is not team oriented and some of Upper management have dark, empty personalities. Benefits are not good. I was not satisfied working there and hoped to find something much quicker. Many other corporate employees were looking for other jobs and were miserable as well. Just writing this takes me back to that dark existence. Would not recommend to anyone and hope the best for all left behind.
Pros
Convenient shopping and eateries nearby.
Cons
Corporate culture, benefits, personalities of upper mgmt.
IT Infrastructure rocks!
IT Manager\Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 3, 2015
If you want a great experience working with a great IT team, this is a great team. Made a mistake leaving by only helping out a friend with his business. Horrible choice. Would come back to this team in a heartbeat. The acting CIO, now he is just a contractor, is one of the brightest person I have ever worked for. Knowledgeable but also willing to teach you. Hard to find people like that. Typical type A personality but with a sense of kindness. That is the ideal person you want to work for and the team to work for. Everyone on the team is out there to support each other. Miss everyone there!
Pros
Good team especially at each divisions!
Cons
Benefits were that good, also no pay increases. Don't think anyone got a pay increase in over 4 years. Odd!
revolving door,poor leadership, union shop
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2015
this is a union shop so you will be put on third shift working Saturday and sunday with tue and wed as days off. paid holidays yea but you still have to go to work giving the senior mechanics the paid day off to spend with their family.the union people only work things to their advantage which is very few people and the union never discusses anything with the shop employees until after they made a decision which affect everyone . the union being the one union steward making the decisions that best suits them.working mandatory 6 days a week 6 months of the year because management can't figure out a way to get caught up. a lot of pencil whipping going on and subpar work and they cant figure out why 3 or 4 tow trucks show up everyday. they just want the work out so they don't get fined and next thing you know here comes the tow truck. the buses leave the shop and parts that were supposed to be installed are sitting on the table and just go in the trash but nobody cares. brakes go on hardware kit goes in the recycle bin. this job is a joke but it pays good. but if you don't mind the same schedule travis transit pays 6$ more per hour for the same position. Hmmm I wonder why they cant get any new employees. this place is a revolving door they cant keep employees .
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no time off, manditory 6 day work week, union only worried about themself
Best and worst job i ever had
Driver (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: Almost everyone did their jobs and with a smile. Almost everyone. Learning a new line of work. The amount of effort put into training each individual so that you know what your doing and they know that you know.

Cons:Not very friendly management and upper management. The pay was 8/hr even though i was told i would get more for having a CDL A but that was not true. Then they put me out of work for two weeks and never contacted me again and then came to my house and tried to get me to sign a paper saying I voluntarily quit. Not to mention I was literally the only white female and felt like I was only hired because of my race and gender.

This company has some serious work to do and in my opinion needs to consider new management as well.
Highly stressful,, not supportive to its employees
former driver (Former Employee) –  niles il...chicago illAugust 3, 2016
Mv transportation Both Niles and Chicago location is the absolute worst company to work for. The Management is low end favoritism abounds.
Pros
Their are none, Management considers you a tool, They don't follow their own company rules, You get taken out of service regularly, For such petty things by pace the Contractor without proof of doing anything wrong, Not given a date as to when you will return
Cons
If you get hired their, know that the turnover rate is very high, They make promises they know they won't keep, Promises like 80 hrs a week, Once you sign on you barely get 65
Lack of Management
DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  RosevilleJuly 11, 2016
MV Transportation as a company is okay.

A typical day consisted of answering phones, giving drivers any changes to their routes, and data entry.

I learned in some companies you cannot trust management.

Management is lacking in so many ways. No respect for employees, doesn't boost employee morale.

I loved most of my co workers.

Hardest part of the job is answering 4 phone lines, and 2 radios at the same time.

Overall I loved my job, loved my clients and my most of my co workers.
Pros
Alone in the office most of the time, able to listen to music, watch movies
Cons
Management, lack of support and training.
Make It Temporary
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2016
This place will provide you with a check but that is all. There is no opportunity to learn anything new. Some dispatchers are horrible communicators, some members of management are clueless. The whole time I was there positions were being juggled around. New person here, new person there. Rules change on a daily basis, some rules apply to this person but not the next person. It's basically a revolving door, people come and people go. It's to you how to deal with what you can deal with.
Pros
It's a check
Cons
Never know when your work day will end, too unorganized, messy, no room for advancing. NO support.
Fun place to work love the people managers suck
Transit operator (Former Employee) –  3550 3rd street San Francisco CA 94120July 19, 2016
If you work for 3550 3rd street MV watch out for management they lie!!! One day I when in to talk with this women in the office I won't give any names if they don't like what you say to them this is there famous words then resign!!! This person did all the paper work on me with out me saying that I was resigning or that I was quiting!! I went back to work on a Sunday and the dispatcher looked at me all crazy and said he heard I didn't work there anymore I said WHAT!! My run was open he wanted to give it to me but didn't what to get in trouble and I understood!! First of all top management should have call and asked was that true Not once did I say that I was quiting or resigning nor did I say it in writing either!!! Watch out for this company!!! ITS NO GOOD!!! They need driver really bad cause the training department has to go out cause of shortest of drivers! Training is a joke no real training apply and you'll see!!!
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Pay isn't good, management does what they want to you and they don't get in trouble, if you have experience in driving you won't get any good training
Union is all I need to say here
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 16, 2015
The union drivers here have made it difficult for the office staff to be paid reasonably. I enjoyed my time there, but no real room for advancement ad compensation was not on par with the area.
Cons
Union
New and exciting experience.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2016
Each day I would start out by inspecting the bus, which is required by DOT regulations. After making sure was okay I would drive out of the yard and head toward my first stop of the day. I learned many things about driving laws, how to be a defensive driver and gained respect for other drivers. My supervisor was sociable and seemed genuinely concerned for each employee. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, however time went by very fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to drive a bus, it was kind of fun. As far as my co workers most of them were friendly, but most keep to themselves.
Cons
very few brakes
working with people was nice
driver (Current Employee) –  dallas,txSeptember 18, 2015
There are alot of politics as with many jobs , wish this one would have been alot more simple and rewarding. low job morale.
Pros
working outside
Cons
if you want good benefits and job security don't stay long, split shifts are not set up for people with families
managment is lousy
Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Paula, CAJanuary 22, 2016
when MV takes over a new contract they always bring the management staff over from the company that lost it. that being said they have an attitude against all the drivers that MV has hired to replace their friends. At one point 40 - 50 hours a week and when friends got qualified they got the promotions the hours and any great perks that were offered hours got cut to 20 week
Pros
great to start out
Cons
when they take over new contract need to bring in fresh staff
Good place to start in Transportation
Lead Dispatcher/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sylmar, CA 91342August 12, 2016
My experience with MV has been worthwhile. I've been with MV since 2009 and it has been quite the experience. Like anything else in life, its had its ups and downs. But overall, I can say that I don't regret making MV my place for employment. I've learned alot along the way, and it has taught me that patience is a virtue. I am blessed to be apart of the MV workforce.
Pros
Excellent Benefits through the Teamsters Union 848.
Cons
The Operators are lazy! Not much room for growth or advancement.

2.8