The Multicultural Association of Wood Buffalo (MCA) is a social-profit organization dedicated to the celebration and promotion of the cultural diversity in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. Established in 1985, the MCA’s vision, mandate and objections are as follows.
Wood Buffalo – a culturally strong and friendly community, welcoming and enjoying multiculturalism.
To foster an environment in which individuals and groups may contribute to the cultural heritage of Alberta encouraging communities to share their cultures and grow harmoniously in Canadian life.
• To promote and encourage cultural diversity, its exchange and understanding in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
• To encourage ethno-cultural groups to develop and preserve their individual cultures and communities
• To function as an information liaison unit for ethno-cultural groups and the community at large
• To coordinate and facilitate communication between individuals, groups, industry, businesses and government with respect to ethno-cultural groups and their heritage for the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
• To promote equality, social justice, inclusion and institutional change.
MCA provides services to individuals and organizations, plans events to celebrate multiculturalism and facilitates workshops on cultural diversity, cross cultural parenting, anti-racism and human rights. – less