Mr. Sub

Mr. Sub Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unstable
General Helper (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough working hours
I worked there for about 10 years. The first owner (the one who hired me) was terrific. I was assistant manager for about 3 years before he sold. Once he sold, my hours went down drastically (from 9 hours/day to 4 hrs./day). I had to make sure the store was stocked fully for the days I was off. I got hours ONLY when they wanted to go away. I showed up to work everyday..sick, snow storms, ice storms etc. They could trust me to open/close the store as needed. I took care of orders, and got the store ready for the day. If I didn't have time to get something done, due to a busy day, or my hours just didn't offer enough time, my boss would yell at me. If I asked for more hours, my boss would yell at me. I worked very hard and was yelled at all the time for things that other people should have been doing. The store sold again in 2014 and I was told my job was safe and the new owner was taking staff in the sale. We were off for a week for renovations, and I went back to meet the new owner, and found out she knew nothing about us, and my boss had put into the sale that he had no employees to transfer in the sale. I lost my job, with zero notice.
Productive and outgoing team at my workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Keswick, ONNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: late schedule
A typical day at work is food prep to make sure everything is ready for making subs throughout the day. Throughout the day I had to make sure all the vegetable were freshly cut and make sure the table was topped up. I had to make sure the store was presentable and the bathrooms were clean for customers. What I learned from working here is how to talk with paying customers and make them content and happy by giving them exactly what they want or doing the best I can to make sure they are happy. The co workers called in sick a lot, allowing me to grab the extra hours that I needed. The hardest part of the job was when there was a large line up and I had to make sure I worked efficiently and to make sure all the customers stayed and did not leave by insuring I would be with them shortly. The most enjoyable part of my job were the appreciative customers that thanked me for my service.
Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee), HamilonOctober 18, 2014
Look after day to day activities. Organize all workers schedule. Order all supplies did all daily bank deposits
solo shifts, boss not considerate
Co-op Placement (Former Employee), BoltonJuly 16, 2014
Pros: i could listen to my ipod
Cons: surveyllance freak, uncomfortable uiforms, unsafe.
missed major life events cause my boss didnt give time off, had to quit to go to graduation. insisted i change barrels of garbage at 2 am when he was here in broad daylight. only got paid for hours on schedule, when i could be there 2 hours past. Glad they got new owners.
A great place to work
Counter Attendent (Former Employee), North Bay, ONJune 25, 2014
Greeting and serving the customers is my favorite. I love people and I love making their day. You get to know the customers who you can joke around with and it is rewarding when you can make someone's day when they are going through a hard time. I loved cleaning and making the place welcoming like if it was my own home. I always found things to do when there were quiet times. I don't like to sit around...I like to keep going.
work
Counter Clerk (Former Employee), whitbyJune 25, 2014
not very fast paced but cultured and very good company to work for
great workplace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJune 6, 2014
Pros: great workplace
Cons: new management didn't hire anyone back on
loved working here but they got new management and didn't hire any of the former employees back on
Very engaging, fun, although...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Thornhill, ONMay 3, 2014
I was lucky enough to have a very understanding boss and fun co-workers. Very interactive with regular customers coming in every day. Despite all of this, the job is very monotonous and at times (depending on how much volume each location gets) can be very demanding on the body. Overall though I had an amazing 6 years.
best place every
Sandwich maker (Former Employee), Stratford, onMarch 4, 2014
I had the best most fun co workers, including my managers. It was very laid back and professional at the same time. It was easy hours and very flexible schedule. There was always something to be done bt not had to be done, if you stayed after booked time due to things not being done you got paid for overtime! free food everyday. Amazing customers!
Great job while interacting with customers
Sandwich Maker, Cashier (Former Employee), Orillia, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Owner was illegally paying his employees and at 3 dollars less than minimal wage. He fired me when I asked for minimum wage. He also let women under 18 work alone until 1:30AM without any supervision in a questionable neighbourhood.
I survived.
Cashier & Sandwich Server (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: it was only three hours, brought home a sandwich every day
Cons: threatened with violence, was physically abused, refused to increase hours, displays of violence at work, managers put me down in front of customers
A typical day at work:
- Put on uniform, clean the men and women's wash rooms
- Check stock, clean bottle caps, prepare fresh vegetables at back of the storage room
- Greet customers, clean up trays after customers leave
- Take out garbage
- Run the till while on lunch rush
- Re-fill stock and clean sinks/table tops

What I learned: Managers don't tell you what they want. They show you what they want. And sometimes, they take their personal issues out on you in an aggressive way.

Management: casual, minimal hassle, hours were consistent until I was layed off.

Co-workers: I only worked with the two bosses, there were 2 other women working evening shifts but I did not see them.

Hardest part of the job: Trying to make the bosses happy, and continuing to stay true to positive customer service in a toxic atmosphere

Most enjoyable part of the job: satisfying customers, making myself a sandwich; I could hardly get money to eat so this was a necessity.
Working at Mr.Sub
Cashier/ Prep work/ Cook (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: fun to work there
Cons: no busniess
Mr. Sub was fun to work at it was all hands on and I loved it. only thing is they went out of business in Stoney Creek because when high school kids where done school not many people when for subs
not a good place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Cons: everything was a con working there
this place was the worst place i have ever worked. i would rather go searching for landmines with a stick then work for them ever again.
Good oportunity to interact with customers and maintaining good communication skills, and easier to learn
Team Leader and Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria avenue, Niagara fallsNovember 19, 2013
Pros: smooth and relaxing environment
Cons: unsatisfactory wages
It was entirely easiest job, motivational and very cooperative staff. Management is good and didn't find anything hard.
meet people
Customer service/Food prep (Former Employee), St. Thomas, ONNovember 11, 2013
Pros: half price lunch
Cons: long nights
i didn't like it at all sorry.the boss was mean to everyone ..and so was his sister ..the place was a mess all the time ..no matter what i did to try to keep it clean ..they where sleeping in the back of the place
good place to work
cashier, stocking shelves (Former Employee), bolton ontarioOctober 21, 2013
Pros: get a free 6 inch for lungh and a drink
Cons: un flexible hours
very well established goiod training good hours nice staff and management .
It is better now than it was then
Sandwich artist (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKAugust 12, 2013
I started when I was in grade 9 so my hours were 5-8 sometimes 9. They were short but good for a student with loads of homework! I made subs the way the customer wanted them, then collected the cash. That was my job. Very simple. Or so I thought. I was left alone in the store for hours on end after my shift was over one weekend during the day and we were very busy. That was against labor board standards because I was only 13. I was doing things I had never done before. Preparing and serving all at once. It was so overwhelming! Then some theft was going on in the store and the manager was held to blame by the owner so the owner fired her and hired a guy who laid off all part-time and tried running the store on only full-time employees. In the end he was fired and the old manager was re-hired and the employees were offered their old positions back. My co-workers were kind of weird but in a good way. I worked with these gay guys who were just awesome! One of them was a hair dresser and always gave me hair advice. Cool right? The hardest part of the job was not knowing everything because I didn't work all that often. The most enjoyable part was the praise I always got from the manager. She was always telling me how awesome I was and how she needed me to work for her.
It was an awesome time there!
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONAugust 1, 2013
Pros: free meals!
Cons: seasonal
A typical day at Wonderland!

Hardest part: All foot-work... if there was movement from one store to another, you'd have to do it on foot!

Most enjoyable part: Summer fun.
Productive, and a fun workplace with friendly staff.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Stayner, ONJuly 26, 2013
A typical day at work would be to serve the customers that come into the door, prepare the toppings that go under the counter, clean any dishes that may have been used during prep. When needed, we would bake some new fresh bread, and organize the counter and fridges. The management was tough but kind, and always had work to do. They did little to train me in what to expect in the workplace. My co-workers were very friendly and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the customers when the restaurant became busy.
Cashier/Food Preparation (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONJuly 16, 2013
Pros: .
Cons: .
Mr Sub was a great place to work. Lots of laughs and learning. Once i got to know the job it was no problem, i loved going into work. Talking to customers was my favourite because everyone knew eachother.