Mr. Lube Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Absolutely fantastic and condusive workplace to be a part of.
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2015
Pros: Learning
Cons: The location I worked at was very far for me to get to.
Upon arrival for each shift, other associates will be waving and welcoming you immediately. A standard workday is very upbeat, supportive and challenging. You never stop learning. I was taught basic upper technician skills and was certified as a lower technician. I learned all about different drive line fluids and their purpose, engine additives and their purpose, tire rotations, windshield wiper blades, light bulb replacements and complementary services under the vehicle. Management could not have been better at my location. They were always supportive, accommodating and encouraging. My coworkers were always working as a team. Not once was it ever a "fend for yourself" system. If ever I needed help, somebody was always there to lend me a hand and vice versa. The hardest part about working at Mr.Lube, for me, was working in mechanics as a female. Appropriately dealing with out of line customers is always a struggle for me. I was encouraged to stand my ground and request that they speak to me with a different tone and more respect. It was always a struggle for me though. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is knowing that everyday I will learn something and become that much more efficient. That is something that gives me a lot of pride and it helps the face of the company as well.
The work was very enjoyable! The way the managed the staff, not so much.
Automotive Service Adviser/Technician (Former Employee), London, ONJune 22, 2015
Pros: Working on cars, close to home at one point, I learned a lot.
Cons: Bad management, underpaid, inappropriate shop owner, working 13-14 days in a row regularly.
When I worked for Mr. Lube I generally would start by arriving to work about 7:20am to start getting the shop ready for customers by, starting up the computers, turning on equipment and setting up the bays. As my coworkers arrived I would delegate duties for them to get the store ready for the customers. Once I opened the store and customers would pull up I would guide them into the bays inside and begin their oil change service with a 21-point inspection, I would then make manufacturer approved recommendations and perform services as needed. I would also make sure that the other staff were doing well and help if needed. Once my supervisor or manager arrived I would usually go on my 30 min lunch break then continue back to working on cars until my shift was over. The shop would run about 20-40 cars a day and I would do about 5-15 all depending on how busy it was. Although I did very much enjoy the work I did the way that they managed and treated their staff lead me to resign.
Was here for a good time, not a long time
Upper Tech/Lead Hand (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: scams, ripping off customers making them pay for service they never actually get.
Honesty is the best policy I guess, so here goes.....

Seen a bit too much than I should have with this particular employer.
Lots of drug dealings on site daily. Co-workers come to work drunk and end up being non-productive, yet they get promoted. confused!!?/!!

High demands and requests to rip off customers. honesty is non existent in these types of places. Make your quota for your boss so he/she can pay $85,000 cash for his new car, while you go home at night and eat mac n cheese for dinner.

no money to be made here as an employee, no career, advancement opportunities or future is in these cross hairs.

on a more positive side, hours were flexible and reasonable which allowed job/life balance. Management accommodated without any kicking or screaming.
Great front line staff but not so great upper managment.
Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: discount on services
Cons: salaried employees had no set weekly hours. too many 60 hr weeks.
My day would start off with me opening the shop and powering up all our devices. Next I would catch up on the previous evenings notes and concerns, check their numbers and any new emails from the late shift. After that it would be time to start greeting the customers and continue with my help in training the new staff to meet, greet and process all our clients. Most days are fun, filled with light banter and what not. At the end of each month we do our inventory and review the monthly numbers to see how we can improve. Probably the hardest part of the job for me was to deal with the claims from the angry customers. My need to give the best service possible and to make everyone happy makes it hard to deal with those who find my abilities to do so lacking, but that's what a manager does so you suck it up and smile and apologize.
Mr. Lube Service/Lube Technician
Lube Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2014
Pros: working on cars
Cons: corrupt and indulgent staff, lack training protocol
Lack of proper training. Dispensable employees and social circle dynamics. New workers are especially under-appreciated and exploited for their hard work;stifled in advancement if they don't engage in non-work related socialization with co-workers or on other irrelevant grounds, largely if not entirely, determined by corrupt staff. A typical day would involve carrying out all of the unappealing, laborious and mundane duties that would normally be done by the technicians servicing the vehicle(s) but are passively forced upon the new employees so that service can be completed faster at the expense of proper training and opportunity for advancement of new employees depending on where they stand in the managers favoritism group. The most enjoyable part of the job is the job itself and working on cars with a rewarding sense of accomplishment for a job well done. Everything aside from the actual job itself is flawed and unjust.
great people - terrible employer
Sales (Former Employee), WinnipegFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: great people to work with, the staff are excellent
Cons: terrible pay, terrible hours, terrible owners/management
if you enjoy getting ripped of by your employer
if you enjoy being treated like garbage
if you enjoy having your cheque shorted every payday
if you enjoy being told things will happen that never do
this job is for you!

seriously though, the wage sucks, they ask you to work 3 hours one day and 11 the next, constantly ask you to come in on your day off and then short you hours on that pay period. almost every check i have had in the year i had worked there was short. i am currently taking them to employment standards.

there are better companies to work for, at least in winnipeg, i would encourage you to continue looking. the people and some of the store managers are great, but the upper mgmt/ownership group really know how to exploit their staff and get even richer off being cheap and unfair to their staff.
Good people to work with, but not my type of job.
Service Advisor (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 25, 2012
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: minimum wage with a lot of work to do and lots of pressure given
I took a course for first year automotive service technician apprenticeship at Okanagan College and I need hours to finish my first year so I applied for a job at Mr. Lube. But apparently, the hours do not count towards my first year. Good people to work with, but for the amount of work and the pressure you get from this work place is not worth the BC's minimum wage. Plus, the owner of this business is there every day to watch what and how you do the job. This place does get variety of vehicles so I will be able to learn a lot since I am still at the learning stage, but I need my hours and most important thing, like everyone else, I need money... Overall, I did not have a good experience with this job.
Great paying job
Senior Upper Technician (Former Employee), Langley, BCFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: great pay, management is laid back about little things stern when needed.
Cons: pry on personal life
I worked for this company for 3 years, they pay well! You need to know how to sell and keep your personal life out of there business. This is standard in a mans industry. If your a woman in the field you really have to know your stuff or learn before you go into it, I was number one in gross profit every month for a 2 year stretch. Also number one in amount of customers helped. Management is laid back and hard on you when needed. Great job if you're young and looking for structure in a business, not great if you're looking to become a mechanic.
Leaving due to management
Lower Bay Technician (Current Employee), London, OntarioApril 10, 2015
Pros: Friendly Co-workers, nothing else
Cons: Horrible hours, inconsistent shifts, unprofessional management, too many staff meetings, no "bonus" insight
Disorganized and a complete mess is the simplest way to describe Mr. Lube. Constant shift changes, borderline religious staff meetings, and treated as if you're nothing. I am glad I was able to use this "company" as a stepping stone to get to bigger companies but that is all I am happy about when it comes to working here. I will not be returning and I will try to steer as many people as I can from every going to work here or get a service here.
Organized, Friendly, Fun Educational.
Technician (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 29, 2013
During my time at Mr. Lube I've increased my knowledge of vehicles and the ability to service them on a large scale. We regularly serviced transmissions, differentials, oil changes, air filters, window chips, tire rotations, fuel filters, radiator and coolant flush services, and even down to the more minor things like headlights and wiper blades. All this on a vast variety of vehicles such as diesels, to gas, hybrids, trucks, cars, vans, SUV, and even campers and trailers.

The management was extremely friendly, and easy to talk too. They remained fair, flexible to the staff.
Dead end.
service tech (Former Employee), burnhamthorpe and mavis, Mississauga, ONFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: enjoyable staff
Cons: poor management, false promises, out-of-the-blue layoffs.
Typically a day working here was around enjoyable company, but management doesnt seem to know what they are/want to do, They offer new employees promises of promotions and theres a severe lack of training. most get laid off 3/4 months in for being " unknowledgeable" hardest part of this job is being forced to take on responsibilities that should fall to a manager, and the easiest part is just showing up.
Fun and productive
Certified Lube Technician (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJune 6, 2012
Pros: good hours full time
Cons: no benefits
Excellent company to work for, great customer service.I was trained very well and made to feel like part of a family.On a typical day we started dealing with customers right away and when we had down time we would clean and replace used stock.I enjoyed the mechanical side of the job as well as meeting the customers.
its a good place to learn but dont get tricked
service advisor/master tech (Current Employee), saskatoon skAugust 26, 2014
Pros: there are no real pros to working here you learn the same stuff in highschool
Cons: management is terrible
was promised competitive wages and im making less here doing more work then at my old job doing just tires
Learned more about automobiles
Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
As a technician i had to service variety of different cars which gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about cars. Management at Mr. Lube was organised and i was able to take days off when needed. Hardest part of the job was that sometimes i would get 10 hour shifts which can get very exhausting.
company that cares
Upper Technician/ Lower Technician (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 22, 2012
Here’s the simple truth – we’re nothing without our customers. No matter how big we get, or how far we expand, this is a fact that we never forget. That’s why, at any Mr. Lube location across the country, you can count on quality service, at your service.
great for a student
Lube Technician (Former Employee), East York, OntarioMarch 16, 2012
Pros: good hours
Cons: dirty hands all the time
friendly environment the best suited job for any student. learn everything from scratch. friendly people and the management was amazing. free dinners and lunches when ever targets met. more like a family of teenagers and adults working together then anything else.
opens doors
Service Advisor/Technician (Former Employee), calgary albertaJanuary 8, 2015
As a former employee of Mr. Lube, I can easily say that this job isn't the greatest possible job to get for someone that is trying to advance in the mechanic career but it does open doors to other big companies like Honda or Nissan
good learning workplace.
Automotive Technician (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: Good hours, Great work
Cons: Management, expendable employees.
Mr.Lube is a good place to work if you would like to further your education on mechanics. But has many flaws, for example, the management only cares about how much money they make, not about their employees.
i never minded the work place , i was good and not boring
Service Technician (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONAugust 27, 2012
Pros: bought my own lunch
Cons: i had decent hours
i jsut performed most of the jobs repeatedly, management was good, got along well with co-workers i never experienced any hard times at all, infarct i enjoyed the place
Productive and Quick Paced
Lower Technician (Former Employee), Newmarket, OntarioMay 7, 2015
Pros: Excellent Work Area
Cons: Not Enough Hours
Was 6 years ago and I just had a bad experience with a former manager. Other than that it was a great company to work for. Taught me a lot more about the business.