Moxie's Classic Grill Employee Reviews in Canada

good place to work
Cook & Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, ABMay 28, 2016
people are good,team work,food are good,cleaning,busy moxies in edmonton,managment are good,giving good pay to staff n treating them nicly,training new staff with full pay
Pros
free meal
Cons
8 hour
it was like any typical restaurant
Prep Cook and Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2015
It was good experience, learned a lot about myself...what I wanted or didn't want as far as work and quality of life. Must work at a fast pace, be organized, work well under pressure, take pride in your work, exercise great level of cleanliness.
Pros
had a good boss
Cons
not enough hours to pay my bills
good work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Square oneJuly 18, 2015
Cooked and served for two years. Great place to work. Not really into the Hotel and restaurant management industry anymore
Work place where u have fun while handling pressure
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 22, 2015
My day starts with a prep chart. taking account of the balance stock and making a list to prepare the items for the day. Management always look for the employees comfort at work. So the process they have designed is simple and easy. If I have any confusion I can even ask the co workers as they all are very supportive. There is no hardest part at work because people enjoy working their.
Pros
eam work
Cons
No Meals provided
Great environment and positive experiences
Culinary Dishwasher / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJune 15, 2015
Working as a dishwasher and line cook as my starting job was initially overbearing, but as I began to understand the rhythm of the environment it becomes easy to maintain a clean workspace. Both front and back of the house were extremely generous and respectful to their roles and responsibilities, as well as to the people around them. I managed to gain a sense of communication, enthusiasm, a "get 'er done" mindset, and an overall joy for working in the kitchen. Though my commitment to post secondary forced me to quit working for Moxie's, I would have stayed longer. Visiting the restaurant often, my former colleagues have since become my friends. The hardest part of the job was keeping up to dinner rushes at times, but knowing each day you've accomplished something makes you come back for more.
Pros
Amazing family of co-workers
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Productive, awesome team working people and fun loving people.
Prep Cook/ Line cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario, CanadaMay 4, 2015
Whenever it comes to work I would like to go back to that country and specially Moxie's Classic Grill(Dixon Road) to work. It was always a fun day working there. Starting with the day a person learns a lot to shape his/her inner skills. The hardest part of the job (for me) was to leave that place and move out due to some of the reasons. Well and yes the best and most exciting part of the job was the team, the co-workers. They all were like brothers to me. Always helpful and ready to stand along with you in any of the situation. I guess Moxies(Dixon Road) was the best part of my life till date!
Pros
Good environment, Happy go lucky people
Cons
Long prep lists to finish :/
terrible
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 22, 2015
bad is the best way to describe everything about the moxies in square one. everyone that works there likes it for a few weeks , then ,like me , they leave.
New management in place is eradicating existing corporate culture and practices, alienating all long-term staff.
Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 15, 2015
The best part of any workplace is the people. The employees here are typically very hard working and willing to do what it takes to complete their jobs. Often enough there are many obstacles getting in the way, like a few $7,500 revenue hours back to back, or dealing with spies filming the aftermath and uploading biased views of safe work practices, hygiene and operational standards. At the end of the day, you gather everyone up and encourage them to swing the hammer one more time to drive the nail the rest of the way,

The best part of the job is working with people that are constantly willing to improve. As a senior member of the team, it makes my day when a newer employee asks for help or an explanation. As it is a kitchen, there ought to be an unlimited amount of questions and answers.

The worst part of the job are is the new wave of management that was brought in. Not once did they appear to stop and consider the existing culture in the company, but went in full force attempting to change everything all at once. This has led to the alienation of all long-term staff.
Great Place to work at!
FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Moxie's was a great place to work at, staff and other management were great. It was unfortunate I left for a higher Position and pay. Staff morel was on point and the training process is amazing for all staff members. Very organized and controlled with a family vibe.
A busy large restaurant, with lots going on in the kitchen
Preparation Cook (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCDecember 11, 2014
A typical day would be preparing my work area in the morning, cleaning it all down with sanitizer, then getting things in the oven such as ribs, or other things that took a number of time to cook, turkey ect... Followed by preparing multiple recipes throughout the day (sauces, wraps, salads,realistically everything was prepared by me and the other preparation cook, for the cooks to cook, I had to learn proper knife technique, and often diced up lots of squid, chicken, in various ways. And then of course clean up at the end of the day.

I learned many recipes, there was about 100 recipes at least in the recipe book, and I made just about everything in the book at one time or another.

Management was agreeable but strict, a busy kitchen environment, errors were certainly criticized to some degree, as it would waste time to have to start something over again, or if you left out an ingredient, ect..

Co-workers were diligent, and worked well as a team, communication in a busy kitchen was very important, and even just going behind someone you had to notify them.

The hardest part was working on sales day or during the summer, it was hot in the kitchen and employees had to mandatory drink water through the day. On busy days with lots of employees I sometimes had very little time in between each thing I was preparing. I always kept my cool and worked diligently, but there were stressful days.

The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing a recipe perfectly, or getting a step ahead of your jobs to take a relaxing break, often got food as well to eat, that was extra.
Amazing place to learn and grow
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2014
-Great culture connection
-Amazing development program
-Creative Management Team
-Flexible with the hours
-Work hard play hard
Pros
great people, growth opportunity
A good experience of working in the kitchen
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2014
Co-op students are treated differently I guess.. Overall it was a good experience but not something I'd want to do in the future.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy duties, monotonic work
Productive and fun environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
A very friendly environment to work in! Management was great! You get to meet alot of intresting people on the daily, hardest part about the job is when it is not busy, and your stuck with nothing to do!! most enjoyable part is connecting with the guest (costumers), especially those who come in having a bad day and you have them leaving the resteraunt completely oppsosite!
Pros
the workplace is one huge great family!
Cons
at times the clientel are not aware of the standards of tipping your server.
Fun workplace with poor morals
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2014
Although the staff and customers are enjoyable, the goals of the restaurant, expressed through female workplace uniforms, seems immoral and sexist. Males are required to wear pants, long-sleeved shirts, while females must wear extremely tight, low-cut tops, shorts, skirts on the patio, lounge and bar areas. In many minds, this leads to lack of respect for women as human beings, and rather decorations to ensnare male customers.
Not to mention: Pricey menus.
This restaurant also uses a Dine and Dash fund; each server must pay 1.00 per shift, to add to the fund. If any customers decided to leave without paying, or leave without tipping (and there wasn't an obvious reason why), management may use the fund to pay you a 10-15% tip and the bill. Management is quite difficult when it comes to paying from this fund, although they held a party to spend the copious amounts of funds - raised by the staff itself! It was explained to some staff by outside members of the public, that this is in fact illegal. Nothing has changed.
Pros
great staff
Cons
pricey menu items, lack of respect for women, illegal practices
Fast-pace and worth it.
Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 7, 2014
Moxie's has exceedingly high expectations of their employees. The days were long and the nights even longer. It is a fast paced environment with hardly any opportunity for break. That being said- it was a blast to be employed by Moxie's while in school. It is the perfect environment for a student, with it's young staff, party environment, odd shift hours and tips.
Fun workplace, very fast paced
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 15, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be seating guests, cleaning tables, running food, and when there was a bit of time, socializing with the many friends that I made working there.
The managers were all great, all very fun to be around. Never too overbearing, but they expected all the staff to do their jobs diligently, so as long as the requirements were being met daily, the relationship between the managers and employees was great. The hardest part for me would probably be the long hours, in heels, and having to do it all with a permanent smile on your face. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely how tight knit everyone was. Literally everyone at the workplace was friends, you could count on anyone to help you when you needed it, and then you had people to hangout with afterwards. It was great.
Pros
free meals occasionally
Cons
rude customers
Fun place to work, with good line cooks
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 29, 2013
We were worked hard and had fun doing it. I had issues comunicating with management because they were so busy with other issues. I enjoyed my experience there but wish there was more communication.
Productive and Fun
OFFICE MANAGER/ COCTAIL SERVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2013
I had the opportunity to advance in moxie's thanks to all the great people I met along the way. It was such a fun and entertaining place to work most days were always smiles everywhere.
Depends...
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2013
All situation depends on you.
Don't take this job,If you want step up your culinary future.
Take this job,If you want hugh benefit and good life balance without money wise .
Management is stupid.
Too cheep.
Pros
hugh benefit.
Fun
line cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 22, 2013
I've worked for Moxie's Classic Grill for 5 years now and in those five years I can tell you this if you're looking for a challenge and a fun place to work be guarantee Moxie's is the place.
Pros
good staff and good activities
Cons
some time no rest always busy.

Moxie's Classic Grill Reviews by Location