Mount Sinai Health System

Mount Sinai Health System Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The work at Mount Sinai is enjoyable, however the hours are long - often work 16 hours
Security Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: performing a variety of tasks (i.e patient watches, morgue releases, patrol duties, door access), rotating schedule
Cons: working 16 hours shifts regularly
The job required to be performed at the hospital proved to be very challenging at times, which made the work enjoyable. Often times, I performed patient watches in the Emergency Department and in the Psychiatric Ward, where I was required to monitor patients who were at risk of being aggressive and on a Form 1 or 3. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the ability to perform a variety of duties, as opposed to performing low-level, tedious tasks. The job has taught me the importance of report-writing and keeping up-to date, finely-detailed reports - an important part of the job especially if an incident leads to a lawsuit. The hardest part of the job is being required to stay longer than the standard 12-hour shift on days where a relieving officer is unable to attend work. This makes the job very tiring, especially where the shift begins early again the following day. My co-workers are very friendly and hard-working. They treat the staff and patients very well. Many of them, like myself, are interested in a future career in policing. This makes working with my colleagues easier, as we share common ground.
Other Skills
Receptionist (Medical Imaging Department) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A position that will take advantage of my potential, education and professional skills to provide challenges and opportunities for growth.

Essential Skills
Communication, Iinterpersonal, Organization skills, Critical thinking, Finding information; Computer Use, Continuous learning

Computer Skills

•Windows 2000 Professional, Directory Services.
•MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
•MS Power Point, MS FrontPage, MS Exchange 5.5, Windows NT 4.0,Windows 98,Windows 2000,Windows XP
•Strong Concept and Understanding of Websites Design and Development Phase, Domain TLD and cc:TLD Management, Web Hosting and Corporate Email System.
•Internet related troubleshooting,
•Typing speed 40 wpm.

Hospital Computer Software

Coral WorkStation 3.5, UHN EPR, Mysys, MicroLab, RIS (Reporting, Order, Worklist), PM View /PM Launch ,MOH Health Card Validation, and Cerner/ ADT System, ABEL, Fusion and Roxio.
Serious and respectable workplace
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: great work environment
I would do a lot of filing and answering the phone on some occasions at first to get a handle on how things were in the office. Then I was able to follow different nurses and do some ultra sounds and communicate with a lot of patients which was one of my favorite things to do during my co-op. I learned a lot, I learned what kinds of patients go to high-risk pregnancy, how to file, proper and respectable way to answer the phone and address patients and their family members, and how to communicate well with patients and how you relate to their situations. The management and co-workers were amazing, very nice people and as well very understanding. They taught me a lot. The hardest part of my job was having to see what the patients go through, especially when building a good bond with them. The most enjoyable part was how well I formed a bond with the patients.
I loved working at a clinic and helping people and just being there for patients that just need to get stuff off of there shoulders
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: doing whatever i can do to help someone
Cons: not being able to help everyone
A day at work is always busy with clinic, booking patients for procedures and the tasks that I need to do to book clinic and procedures. As well as answering the phones with any questions that the patients might have. With my everyday tasks there is always something new to learn which is exciting, I always like to learn new skills to upgrade my expertise. I love working with patients and know I am there to help by talking with them and getting them the appointments they need as soon as I can. knowing that I can help people in any way makes me feel really good. The hardest part of the job is knowing I can do everything to help a patients that is really sick.
Loved Volunteering at Mount Sinai
Gynaecologists Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Pros: providing excellent service to patients
Cons: purging
While i was Volunteering at Mount Sinai Hosptial Ive learned that this is the environment that i need to be in. Knowning that i can help people that are in need of medical attention makes me feel complete inside. I have a passion with interacting directly with patrons that i can get a feel and a clear understand of them. The most enjoyable part of this job is that i was able to meet and interact with new people, booking patients, do follow up calls, faxing and working beside a doctor that i thought was so inspiring, Dr. Wolfman (gynaecologist)
Awful!
Mid-level worker (Former Employee), CanadaJune 29, 2012
Pros: the work perks and bennies are good
Cons: management couldn't lead a school of fish.
If you're on the medical side, great place to work.

If you're on the marketing, communications, graphics, Auxiliary or fundraising side, forget it.

There's a reason these departments have had almost complete turnover in the last two years. Crazy hours, idiotic managers, redundant meetings, petty jealousies, high school-level cliques, supervisor favourtism, tyrannical power-plays by a few donors that are rewarded for their juvenile behaviour, a complete lack of work history because whatever job you're in, you're likely to be the third person in two years...
Manager, Equipment Maintenance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2014
Pros: flexibility and freedom of work
Cons: forced to be a workoholic
1. Learned new techniques in management
2. participated in many new projects
3. a typical work day starts around 9:00 (sometimes early 5:00), and never ends before 6:00 in teh evening. Many times worked continuously more than 30 hrs in one stretch, and many after hours call and week end calls. All free, no compensation received or asked
4. In last four years 20 days of my eligible vacation surrendered due to work load.
5. i enjoyed the job due to varies type of job, and different people and culture.
An excellent teaching hospital that provides the best patient care to all members in the community who we treat with respect and equality.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2015
Pros: excellent work events gives you the opportunity to interact with other members.
Cons: hours may vary
An excellent hospital that provides an exceptional work environment where all members work as a team and are treated with respect and equality. Every member that walks through those doors are welcomed and we are there to provide the best patient care.
Professional workplace focused on organization and precision to detail
Assistant filing clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2014
-Volunteer duties included filing patient admission paperwork, assisting nurses and physicians with admissions, attending to patients' needs
-hospital staff and fellow volunteers were both welcoming and professional and informative of proper healthcare/hospital practices
-patience and ability to work in high-pressure environment was tested during times of high patient admissions
Great multi-tasking experience
Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Mount Sinai, was a great experience in a multi-tasking fast paced environment, that exposed me to administration, clerical, and patient care duties and responsibilities, hence enhancing my knowledge and experience, as well as skill sets in a challenging, highly pressured fast paced environment, that helped me work even better, and accomplish my goals on a daily basis of volunteering in mount Sinai Hospital
Highly professional environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: continuous education by attending scientific conferences and symposiums
Cons: liver clinic closure at mount sinai hospital
Demanding workload, work under pressure accommodating people with different backgrounds and various medical conditions and treatments, continuous education and keeping up to date with the newest therapeutic agents in liver diseases
excellent place to work
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2012
a place I like to be, great people around, nice and polite, tactful management, strange that I must take a lunch time (that is not paid) even when I don't have a lunch with me, a problem with parking (no discounted parking for staff), but found a 5-10-min away huge underground parking on St. Patrick street ($8 yearly bird) that is pretty nice at our time (2012)
Working under pressure
MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2014
Medical field is quite busy. We have to know how to deal with any kind of situation. Sick patients, mental issues, disability issues and not all the times patients understand policies and procedures of the clinic. This was a new challenge for me, dealing with multi-tasks and patients at the same time. It was great!
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2015
I like work environment in Mount Sinai Hospital because management is very supportive and colleagues are very professional and fun people to work with.
A great place for learning
Research Assistant in Bioethics (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 14, 2014
I have found my work place a great example of where good deeds from good people can provide both patients and researchers with new horizons of healthcare and learning, respectively. And sympathy, equity and respect compose the fluid atmosphere every body is exposed to.
productive and fun environment
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2014
Pros: constantly learning new things
- great place to work at
- a wonderful hospital that facilitates learning opportunities and gaining new skills from evidence based research
- supportive work environment where you team work is effective
- great work staff
teaching hospital
Student Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 22, 2015
Pros: teaching hospital
Multidisciplinary team worked effectively and efficiently together. The nurses were very helpful and encouraged students to learn and experience different skills and increased their knowledge and understanding of the nursing profession
Staff and Management was excellent!
Front Office Administrator/Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2013
I learnt a lot at MSH I was a pro at what I was doing. Until they had budget cuts.
I triaged every call and patients that came to the office seeking to see a nurse. I was able to get my patients in and out in a reasonable time frame.
Healthy work life balance. friendly people and management. good benefits
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: good emphasis on personal and mental health, good work life balance
Cons: pay could be better
regular enjoyable day.
friendly people.
supportive management.
good health benefits and perks
great workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), toronto, onAugust 2, 2014
Mount sinai is a great organization that encourages growth and development of staff. It committed to excellence and that makes you want to push for quality care because everyone wants to do a good job. Great teamwork and also great support from management!
Headquarters