Mount Royal University Employee Reviews

Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta19 October 2017
Enjoyed interaction with students. Enjoyed BlackBoard and other interactive tools. Offered small and personalized class sizes. Academic staff very approachable.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Parking
Great Place
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
 Promotion of a positive Residence Life experience;
 Planning and facilitating programs for the residence community in accordance with the programming
requirements described in the Residence Life Programming Model;
 Supervision of an assigned residence community and the mentoring and management of residents’ personal
safety and well-being;
 The management and enforcement of community standards;
 Assisting and referring students in academic, social, personal and disciplinary matters to the appropriate
Residence Services and/or University resources;
work environment is fun and friendly.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
Every morning you came to office and get a list of units that has to clean. You find your team and get prepared and work!

Sometimes is hard sometimes is easy.
Too many management changes.
Finance and Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
The first 10 years were very good.
Culture decreased with each change of management.
No advancement or job security.
Moral decreased in the last 4 years. Budget variances were very large and unexplained thus creating job losses through restructuring.
Management at Vice President and Director positions lack the appropriate leadership and people skills.
Pros
Use of Gym with employment
Cons
too many management changes.
Mount Royal University
Cashier Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
A typical day is making food and serving customers. The management was not well put together. I didn't get proper training. The hardest part of the job for me was communicating with my supervisor.
Just a Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2017
The ratings I provided are only that of my time as a volunteer. So although I'm sure that the Job Culture is good and the Advancement opportunities are strong, I can't properly rate those qualities. What I can say is that the organizations I have been a part of since my start at MRU have all been very respectful of me and the rest of those in the groups.
Great student position
START Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2017
Flexible hours assisting students with technology used at MRU.
Time included working at IT Help Desk, Library, and START drop-in and call center.
Staff were friendly and very helpful to each other. Great working and development culture
Pros
Student hours flexible
Cons
Only hours during semesters
Huge Learning Opportunity While Fostering Student Success
Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2017
Mount Royal's Language Tutoring position is run through Student Learning Services on campus. First a tutor would attend the training at the beginning of each semester. Then, the tutor is paired with students that need help in the subject that the tutor has requested. When the students are matched they organize a first meeting and discuss the preliminary steps of tutoring such as expectations, scheduling and goals. Then the students meet at pre scheduled times for at least 1 hour per week at a maximum of 2. Each time the tutor would sign in and conduct the session. The hardest part of the job would be working with different personality types and learning styles different from your own. To be successful at this job you must be able to adapt. The hardest part of the job can be the time commitment as well as the students' willingness to learn. If the student isn't succeeding in the course even with the tutoring it can be difficult. Finally the reliability of the job is not really enough to constitute it as a part time position. It should be treated as a contract position. The management team is great a lot of openness and room for feedback from students. Although, the continual changes from year to year will keep you on your toes.
Pros
Excellent Training, Staff parties, Student recognition
Cons
Now Volunteer, Long training days
Great place to work out at the gym and work with nice people.
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Great work-life balance. Some busy times but flexible work schedules. The gym is a fantastic. There's a kids daycare right on campus which many seem to enjoy.
Committed to its employees
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Mount Royal University is a great place to work, the university allows you to advance, encourages you to volunteer within and outside of the university. An employee can take a course and apply to have the money reimbursed.
Pros
Refundable courses
Dynamic place in where you help people
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2017
Very nice work environment. Interactive helping students with their educational needs. Management is very friendly and peers are very good. Workshops were done frequently
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2017
Loved my short stint at MRU and found the place very productive and learnt a lot.

Excellent gym facility and also had a very supportive and technically competent team leader
Excellent place to learn, professors care about your education
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
Besides excellent professors and courses, there are plenty of opportunities for individuals to engage with student life on campus ranging from varsity sports, to club events, to activities on Main Street.
foster a safe and open-minded academic learning environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
I specialize in first year accounting and high school mathematics. This job developed my presentation, verbal, and time management skills which will be transferable to future careers.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
Unattractive salary/benefit
Great
Assistant Project Researcher (Part-time, Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
Helped out a professor during my college years. Great pay, communication and opportunity.

I would recommend this employer
Extraordinary work environment
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta1 February 2017
I worked in the Conservatory which is a highly creative environment that serves outstanding young artists. It was a pleasure to go to work every day and know that I was making a contribution to enhance and support such great talent. My boss was a kind and informed individual and I greatly admired him and what he was trying to accomplish. I had a wonderful time there and greatly miss the work. I lost my position due to the restructuring of the University when my job was abolished. It was a joy to be part of something so great and work with such talented people.
Pros
outstanding concerts
Cons
sometimes long hours
Best place I have worked in my career.
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
A great place to work! I have worked there for almost 10 years and have always enjoyed the supportive environment and the fact that the student teacher ratio is so low. It gives us a chance to know our students and as a result the learning is much better than in a large university. If we were not leaving Calgary for work reasons (husband) I would continue to teach at MRU. It is a great school in so many ways.
Workplace Culture
Soccer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
Unfortunately, the day camps have become more difficult to work at for employees. Workplace culture can be bad if you are not on good standing with management.
Great work and learning environment
Spanish Monitor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2016
MRU gives its students the opportunity to get involved on campus by either volunteering or working. It provides its student staff a variety of ways to obtain more training, and to get more experience.
Couldn't have chosen a better institution for my educational and work experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
As a former student at Mount Royal University, I have developed close relationships with my professors, which made it possible for me to be granted the opportunity to work on a peer reviewed journal closely with one of my professors. The professors at this institution are very helpful with helping any students in need. I have attended a few post-secondary institutions in the past and Mount Royal is by far my favorite.