Mount Allison University

Mount Allison University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Learned lots and very enjoyable
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Sackville, NBJune 16, 2014
Aided in preparation of student labs as well as helping students with any difficulties
Great experience
Residence Assistant (Former Employee), Sackville, NBApril 2, 2014
Being an RA allows you to meet a lot of people and help new students transition into the university life style. You are however, pretty much on duty at all times.
sociology
100 (Former Employee), 100March 21, 2014
Pros: lunch
Cons: short hours h
Well it's power to help the others at anytime & try to solve it with
Them & lat them feel that someone care about them
Great Environment where rules were enforced but people were respected
Residence Assistant (Current Employee), Sackville, NBMarch 6, 2014
Pros: free snacks, work with people you know, respected by most.
Cons: late hours, technically on 24/7, interior conflict easily arise
I enjoyed my position as Residence Assistant and think it was a great oppourtunity to get out into the public view and meet new people.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Sackville, NBDecember 21, 2013
Marking assignments was not too overwhelming as the instructions were clear and the class-size was small.
Wedding Asisistant Wonderland
Chaplain's Wedding Assistant (Former Employee), Sackville, NBAugust 18, 2013
Pros: good hours, fun times
Cons: convincing strangers i was an authoritative element in the chapel when i was a student
My duties were widespread from handling important government documents to organizing and executing plans for the ceremony. I worked alone beside the Reverend and was solely responsible for the back stage actions of the Wedding. The hardest part of my job that summer was to establish myself as a position of authority when among the wedding parities, – more... however this may have also been the most enjoyable part. If I were still a student at Mount Allison University, I would most definitely apply to this position again. – less
Head of Anthropology Department - Sackville (Former Employee), Lower Sackville, NSAugust 16, 2013
Pros: i learnt good research skills
It was a great place to work and gain experience I learnt good research skills and proposal writing, interviews and transcribing
A university
Summer Research Student (Former Employee), Sackville, NBJune 26, 2013
Pros: you get to do research
Cons: you probably want to get an apartment i guess
University professors often hire students through various grants to preform research. In order to gain experince.
Productive and entertaining workplace with a variety of tasks
Women's Soccer Manager (Former Employee), Sackville, NBMay 21, 2013
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: laissez-faire management was stressful
Each day would include preparing for the women's soccer game. This would mean getting the jerseys set out for the women, bringing out equipment to the field, and grabbing copies of the game sheet for both teams. Next, I would meet with the other teams to fill out their game sheet. I would have the referees sign the game sheet, provide them with water – more... and the game balls. I would bring up the filled out game sheet to the announcer and then help the team with their drills, specifically the goalie. I would ensure no game balls were lost during the game or after, and collect them at the end of the game. I would also collect the game and referee sheets, and fax them when the game was over. Finally, I would ensure the equipment was returned safely and do any odd jobs in between to make sure things ran smoothly.

I learned a lot from my experience as the Women's Soccer Manager. I learned that not everything goes as planned, and how to deal effectively with the consequences. I became more organized and anticipated situations so I could prepare for them. I enhanced my problem-solving skills and organizational skills.

Management was mostly laissez-faire, so I had to learn how to deal with tough situations on my own with barely any guidance. That was a difficult task to handle, but I improved these skills continuously and felt very accomplished at the end of the day.

I worked under the coach and assistant coach. The coach would not give me much guidance on how to get things done, but just what he wanted as results. That proved difficult, but I became more aware of what he wanted as the season progressed.

The hardest part of the job was having to make executive decisions and do more work than expected due to various circumstances.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when, in the end, everything always worked out despite the behind-the-scenes issues. I always worked hard, and it paid off every time. – less
A really great work environment. I get to work out and do what I love.
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee), Sackville, NBApril 9, 2013
Pros: dancing and laughing
Cons: hard to get in touch with head boss
I teach Zumba classes at the fitness centre twice a week for an hour. I choreograph new dances and get to work out and share my enthusiasm for Zumba. I have a partner teacher and all of my coworkers are wonderful and supportive.
MTA was a warm, welcoming place to work... as a new employee the management and co-workers went beyond what was required.
Casual Secretary - English Department (Former Employee), Sackville, NBMarch 5, 2013
Pros: successful completing a project, knowing that your skills & knowledge were valuable, apprreciated and acknowledge in many ways
Cons: na i really don't have cons, because each position on my resume, gave me knowledge for new employment and life skills.
A typical in any work environment never seems to goes as you planned the day before, so you must know and learn how to deal with each issue as they arise.
My day started with picking up mail, checking with the chair of the programme to see what we had going on for the day. Dealing with any work or issues from the day before and checking to see if there – more... was anything urgent that needed to be done. Retrieving and dealing with phone messages, completing any course outlines and/or grade entry and all other requirements of the position, checking outlook calendar to update schedules, booking travel arrangement, reconciling mastercard statements, assisting with student employment hiring forms, processing the ordering request, arranging catering and room booking for scheduled meetings, events and lectures. One of the most important was checking with my co-workers to see what was going on in their area and if assistance was needed because team work is the key to a happy, successful work environment. The management and staff were the most welcomed, helpful group of people that I have worked with. The hardest part of the job is getting to know your work area, contact people and feeling comfortable within a new environment.
The most enjoyable was working in a great departments with incredible people,meeting new people and students, successful completing new challenges and the ability to learn something new and grow with it. – less
Interesting projects and people.
Research Assisient (Former Employee), Sackville, NBOctober 2, 2012
Pros: good experience
Cons: only a summer job
A typically day at work including literature searching, design reaction with the supervisor, and running the reaction. After the reaction I would examine the product by various analytical method, like chromatography, NMR, or UV-Vis spectrum, and analyse the instrument data.
Learnd: using alanytical instrument and process the data.
The hardest part of – more... the job would be designing the reaction, as sometimes I have to go through many papers to find a pathway that will be useful for us.
The most enjoyable part would be characterization of the product, as the instrument data are often interesting. – less
Small knit community of professors, who are very approachable
Student Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Sackville, New Brunswick, CanadaMarch 1, 2012
Pros: access to many journals
Cons: old buildings, and equipment
I had a very good experience working here, everyone is very nice and helpful. I had fun doing research, as well as being a teaching assistant in a microbiology lab.

About Mount Allison University

Ranked the No.1 Undergraduate University by Maclean's Magazine in 2007 – More from ZoomInfo »