Motion Specialties Employee Reviews

Good People Around You, It's Who You Don't Know
Installations (Former Employee) –  Alberta2 December 2017
I am not going pull any punches here. I really liked working with the people. The atmosphere was great. I do want to point out that Motion Specialties bought our store. Layed off half the staff and increased our yearly goals...essentially setting us up to fail. They performed each of these steps with no warning. They seem to want people in the dark as to what will happen next but assure the employees that they will do what they have to do..I dare say showing up and closing a location unannounced. Motion Specilaties will truly drive you nuts with their methods. Often times I was financially supporting my own jobs. In spite of my requests, Motion Specialties just did not see an issue with not having the proper things in place to service their clients (Once again, minimal staff, minimal supply in practice) . These descisions were made by unseen higher ups in the company. It was very frustrating.

Upper management transparency is nil. You never see them. You may meet them once. But they have no idea who you are and do not seem interested in learning. Perhaps this helps their business model work. You begin to feel like number. As long as the numbers add up, you have a job. But the day they do not add up, someone just shows up from somewhere and starts randomly letting people go. This alone makes for atmosphere uncertainty which I believe is what Motion Specialties wants to project as in their flawed model, as it seems fear of losing your job without reason is the motivator for hard work. This combined with technology that you are forced to update with what you are doing at ALL
  more... TIMEs easily pararelling Big Brother mentality. This tool alone makes you feel as if you are always being watched and your very own input into this program can one day be your demise. Question these methods and you will be met with, "If you don't like it, then you have something to hide" Yes, that was actually said in a meeting. You get the picture?

As mentioned before, you can never feel as if you have any job security. Motion Specialties number one goto to make the numbers look good is layoffs followed by understaffing mupltiple locations. When the employ this method they generally will direct several locations work to one office...and often one desk. Everyone else who did the same job at the other locations are let go without warning. Think of this for a moment. You are essentially competing to keep your job against someone you don't even know at another location. If they are persitant to upper management that they can handle your workload from their location...they could eliminate your job in order to secure theirs.

As I said, the people are generally good people to work with. But upper management has no qualms in making sponatneous career ending descisions in order to make their numbers look good.
Pros
Good people, decent benefits, pays well.
Cons
No job security, poor business model, big brother tactics, upper management is out of reach so your requests are unheard.
enjoyable and productive environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 November 2017
I dealt with customers on every level from booking appointments to dealing with their cases and accepting financial payments and banking deposits. I also managed all aspects of office duties from answering phones to filing opening and closing and taking transcripts etc...
I absolutely love dealing with the public i have a great relationship with our clients and dealing with the public listening and trying to give them a peace of mind on their cases.
Pros
dealing with our clients and working with our staff
Cons
long hours and every weekend
Unorganized
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Canada22 November 2017
Too much change recently that affected the front line staff. Upper management would not invest in support in order to achieve growth, yet expected "numbers" week by week. Majority of the sales and support staff were stretched way too thin and the morale and culture was impacted.
Pros
Made an impact on peoples lives
Cons
Poor staff morale, unrealistic expectations, upper management did not understand what it took to be successful in this business.
working at motion
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2017
providing technical service to wheelchairs and mobility aids, travel to client homes and assess issues with devices and repair such devices while providing great customer service
Pros
all tools provided
Cons
no location to work out of
Leaders that dont lead
Shipper/Receiver/Support (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 October 2017
Management does't lead by example. This goes from store front to head office. The people in charge only care about their jobs and don't care about the clients or the employees
Great staff and enjoyable working environment.
Part-time Administration / Office Support (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON10 October 2017
Part-time contract, busy office caring for the surrounding population. Learned about government support and local support taking care of people in need.
Very unprofessional environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  East York, ON30 August 2017
Motion specialties was the absolute worst place for customer service individuals as management changed this company went down hill very fast. A lot of the employees got let go because of the company "heading another direction" I personally left the company before everything blew up the pay is nice but it is a very unhealthy environment too much stress and too much work load
Pros
Paid breaks and lunches
Cons
Very unprofessional
Pleasant workplace with friendly staff
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2017
Very large learning curve for someone new to the industry.
Management was great, very patient, helpful, and willing to listen to concerns, suggestions.
Workplace culture was pleasant.
Hardest part was waiting for approval from AADL on products that ended up going through a recycle process 30% and at periods 70% of the time which meant no commission pay.
The enjoyable part was assisting in helping to improve customers quality of living with products that served their needs.
Pros
on going training through learning seminars hosted by manufacture reps
Cons
base salary low, commission pay dependent on AADL approval, which meant waiting to be paid, sometimes not paid due to product going through recycle program
demanding but rewarding job
Senior Techn (Current Employee) –  Kitch11 July 2017
Current manager needs to go due to a vast amount of poor business and service decisions.

Motion Specialties has a dedicated and caring staff that always go above and beyond but are currently over worked and under staffed causing extreme burn out.
Motion is a Good work place
Accounts Payables Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2017
All the personnel of accounts Payable dept is very helpful and friendly and good. It was a great place to work and learn team work, handling multi work. The corporate culture is excellent. People will feel comfortable to work here.
Pros
Free coffee to motivate employees
Cons
Anytime anyone can take break but due to workload not interested to take any break.

Want to know more about Motion Specialties?

Ask a question
Colleagues are great to work with.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 April 2017
Was a nice place to work.made new friends and old friends.
working conditions not bad.Hours were good.some good times.
At times was very stressful ,but overall customers were great.
Productive and okay place to work
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
Was a great place to work. The was a lot of change happening all at the same time. This tended to create confusion and add pressure to the work schedule.
fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 November 2016
The job is good. We get independency in work. Since it was through agency i was not able to show my work proficiency since i was limited
Not a good place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 August 2016
Motions is NOT Client Focused nor do they care about their employees. Run horribly from their Head office.
Run far away from this company
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Unique industry full of equally unique people
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2016
A typical day was much like any other service technician/mechanical technician type work. An item needed to be fixed so we would diagnose issues, present solutions to clients, and proceed with repairs where needed.
The main difference of this job compared to other service jobs is that these products were wheelchairs and scooters and often the customer chose to stay in them while the work was being done. It's also unique in that the person and unit had to be perceived as one cohesive apparatus because of the function of the equipment... a wheelchair acts as an individuals legs, spine and sometimes their arms.
The management team had very different approaches to managing people and the assigned work. The company is owned by a major holding corporation so the management is very "quota and month end totals" oriented compared to people oriented.
The coworkers were basically set up in three teams - service team, sales team, and reception/office team. There was a definite team spirit within the three areas themselves, especially in the service team, but there seemed to be a barrier between all three of the groups as a whole. Everyone was friendly to one another in a group setting but there was apparent derision in a one on one basis.
The hardest part of the job from my point of view was the emotional aspect - You are working with people and families who have special needs and sometimes their condition and circumstance can really tug at the heart strings, especially families with kids using the equipment.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the technical aspect.
  more... Working with my hands is enjoyable and rewarding. Being able to see tangible evidence of a job well done is a big plus.  less
Pros
Good benefits package and hours.
Cons
Often very dirty, smelly work requiring rubber gloves and a face mask.
Friendly workplace
Home Accessibility Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2016
A typical day was busy, but I enjoy busy. I would schedule my technicians, process quotations and work orders for my sales reps, invoice when completed, send quotations to ministry and deal with customer inquiries. In a position like this, you need to know how to prioritise and I learned to do that well.

I enjoyed the positive outlook my co-workers would bring to work and I enjoyed helping our clients. When you help someone, it brings a new meaning to your work.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 March 2016
Everyday was a different day. You would go from building a wheelchair to building an outdoor elevator. The management of the company was great because everyone had a positive attitude.
Good Benefits
Store Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 December 2015
Very good benefit packages offered to all employees regardless of position. New management has increased morale over the past year.
Poorly managed , very low moral ,
installation technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury Ontario21 April 2015
Not a hard job , Self gratifying when completing an install or making repairs, great to see that what you have done will be helping someone in need, have a better quality of life. Co - workers are great , management is a different story, No support , no tools , no technical information, no communications , no guidance
Pros
It is a needed service in the community.
Cons
Very poorly managed at the branch level.
Productive and fast paced environment.
Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 April 2015
Productive and fast paced environment. While employed at Motion Specialties, I learned inventory control, scheduling, administration duties, and teamwork. Had a very good working relationship with my Management team. Some difficulties of the job were understanding the different personalities of co-workers and lack of proper communication between the corporate office and our office. The most enjoyable part of my job, was customer satisfaction. Knowing that I could make a difference in someones life.
Pros
Discounted medical supplies
Cons
A constant feeling of insecurity. It always felt like the Company was going to close.