Motherhood Maternity Employee Reviews

was a good place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 November 2017
As the name says,Motherhood deals with pregnant women and they have mood swings throughout all three semesters.Dealing with them was fun and a test of your own patience as well.
Pros
good reviews from customers
Cons
had to sell certain items for certain dollars
Good stores with rare amazing store management but horrible corporate staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 January 2017
Days vary. Can be busy but at other times can be very slow. Store is usually relaxed about down times and what you do as long as all other duties required of you are finished before end of shift . Learn a lot about clientele and product . Store managers and TSLs can be amazing but it is rare depending on location. Corporate managers are horrible and lazy. Don't do their jobs at all. Coworkers are usually pretty awesome. Hardest part of the job is trying to do your job while corporate changes everything in your store in a flash, literally a day or two, and don't help to try to continue operating smoothly. Other hard thing is dealing with a lot of unexperienced people who are lazy and don't want to do their job. Be thankful for the few people around you who do know. Most enjoyable thing was the overall atmosphere in the stores. Good vibes off the families, store managers, coworkers, and TSLs.
They dangle the carrot but no reward
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Closed one in BC6 January 2017
Worked here for years with promise of advancement.

Was given advancement opportunities with goals to achieve. Once the goals were hit, there would be a reason as to why the advancement was no longer an option.

Example "Surpass your sales goal for 3 months and keep your UPT at 3.1 and we will move you to 4th to train as a manager."
target hit and would be held for 4 months instead of 3, would inquire as to when it would happen and the reason could range from anything like "the manager quit, there is no one to train you" to "oh, there is no need for training for you". My favorite was "thats great you did it, but it may have been a fluke, keep it up for another 2 months and we will see."

Did this to me three times before I left.

They then closed most of the locations shortly afterwards so I lucked out I guess.

Oh and they will give you full time hours but list your job title as a part time employee which really screws with you.

I had to make a WCB claim but even though I was working 40 hours/week and could prove it with pay stubs & schedules since my job description was for a part time employee, the government sided with them and wouldn't pay me.
Pros
Discount off clothes
Cons
Drama, empty promises, upper management treats lower employees like slaves, hormonal women
Good staff to work with
Cashier/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 January 2017
Good for a part time job, but not many hours are offered due to lack there of. Wonderful product, I buy it myself and I am not even pregnant. Customers are generally really good with the staff as well. Have not had much interaction with the higher up bosses at this point.
Pros
good staff to work with
Cons
not enough hours
Great work environment
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2016
Really enjoyed working for this company. I had a really great store manager. Job culture I believe is important when creating a group dynamic and as a corporation Motherhood Maternity established a great employed experience
Great quality clothing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 August 2016
Very fast paced work environment. People focused with great clientele. Fashion forward maternity clothes. Excellent team once established.
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 June 2016
I love the customers. Makes me feel great knowing that I can help make this special time in their lives magical. However The training and care that goes into the training process is horrible. Their isn't enough focus on product knowledge. Now I don't blame the head office or the company itself I blame the store manager and management team. It blows my mind that there is no passion for this company to really invest in making a great team.
Cons
Bad management
colourful
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 June 2016
I didn't feel comfortable working there. It brought back my anxiety badly. I don't enjoy working sales and having one on one with customers. I wasn't properly trained about maternity. I wasn't comfortable with sizing people's bras. Which wasn't mentioned when I applied.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours
Good enviroment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 April 2016
It was a part time job and fulfilled the needs I had while working and going to university. Enjoyed working with the women I met through this job.
Demanding and challenging
Store Manager I (Current Employee) –  London, On3 March 2016
I have been with this company for four years. In the beginning this company offered a good work life balance but since then many changes have occurred and in my opinion not for the better. Overall not a bad company but a lot is expected for very little pay.
Pros
great Clientele
Cons
Lack of updated equipment
Great Enviroment
Sales Consultant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2016
Great place to work , Love my co workers and staff and environment is great ! also love all the products and assisting customers
Seemingly small store offers constant challenges to keep you on your toes
Part Time Merchandise and Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2015
Overall, the experience has been positive. I enjoy the clientele and building customer relationships. You typically get to witness clients go through all stages of pregnancy, and even beyond. The environment itself is fast paced, and there is never a dull moment as there is always something to do and if per chance there is nothing, I like to find something, because personally I do not believe there is ever NOT anything to do, especially in a retail environment where visual standards are high and traffic is constantly flowing through the mall. The main challenge was learning to work in the store alone and prioritize tasks for the day, but overall, you come to find your groove and take ownership of the business and learn how to balance it all.
Its okay. Still learning.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 September 2015
Opening/Closing the store
Helping Customers
Cleaning the store/change rooms
Cashing out guest
Getting to know the new "IT" styles for pregnant mothers
Excellent co-workers and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 July 2015
Motherhood Maternity gives chances to entry level workers and students. I gained valuable experience, learnt new skills and was a part of an excellent team who were always ready to help each other.
The most enjoyable part of my job was to interact with the customers, find out their needs and helping them find the right product.The hardest part of the job was that I had to travel a great distance everyday. Overall my experience working with Motherhood Maternity had been extremely positive. The hardest part
Pros
Excellent coworkers and work environment
Cons
Travel difficulties
A lot of fun and some great customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 May 2015
this is a great place to work. everyone is always so helpful and cheerful when learning the ropes and how to approach customers. the manager and assistant manager are awesome as well as the rest of the staff.

getting to gush about babies and helping women shop for a whole new wardrobe is a rewarding and fun job. When its busy time really does fly :)

i've learned how to multi task really well!
Pros
lots of great products
Cons
only part time hours available
Motherhood-part time worker
-Assisted Customers

Poor Management

Hardest part of the job
-Assisting grumpy Customers

Most enjoyable part of the job
-Having a chance to see children/newborns.
Cons
everyone from the district managers to the store manger does not care for the coworker
Great staff, amazing client base.
Full time key holder (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC6 March 2015
I learned to take initiative and strong communication skills. Offering outstanding customer service. Opening/ closing store.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Closed down.
Starting Rate Is Good But Management A Nightmare
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 December 2014
Was excited to start the position at 13$/hr which is 2$ more then minimum wage. However, Manager expected me to take over doing all of her work so she could go shopping and talk on the phone all day in the change rooms. Was expected to work 7 days a week and well over 40 hours even though the position was only part time. All staff members there were actively looking for different jobs, and 5 people had quit in 2 months ( the store only has 5 employees at a time).
Pros
Good starting wage
Cons
Long hours, no days off, lazy management
Fun and Fashionable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 April 2014
I enjoyed working in retail for being able to help mothers to be during the special maternity period. Work days were busy but still enjoyable to see all mothers to be finding comfortable clothes and thank you for it. I hence customer services skills, sales skills, and to satisfy need and wants of customers.
Working with expectant mothers and being part of their experience was fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  2 locations Edmonton Alberta1 January 2014
With working in a maternity store you had a short period of time to work with your customers. By that I mean they are only pregnant for 9 months so our interaction was short yet fun because we were able to walk expectant mothers through the process of being pregnant and giving them fashion advise for this small but important demographic community.

My job as the manager was training my staff to work with these ladies and understand that they are different from the average shopper. Their needs are different and we needed to be aware of that on a constant bases.

I also did the merchandising of the store as the floor plan dictated, however I made store based decisions on what was best for my location.

The staff was also trained on floor set because I am a strong believer in knowing I cant be there 24/7 so my staff was taught how to do the floor set.

I also believed in training for succession as my goal was to move up in the company and I wanted a trained staff to continue running the store.

I enjoyed training and coaching my staff, especially the staff that hadn't experienced being pregnant.

The hardest part of the job was the company was American owned and the laws in the US and Canada are different so it was a challenge when the Canadian stores were being governed by US policies.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long hours, not being acknowledged for hard work done