Motherhood Maternity Employee Reviews

Demanding and challenging
Store Manager I (Current Employee) –  London, OnMarch 3, 2016
I have been with this company for four years. In the beginning this company offered a good work life balance but since then many changes have occurred and in my opinion not for the better. Overall not a bad company but a lot is expected for very little pay.
Pros
great Clientele
Cons
Lack of updated equipment
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 20, 2016
I love the customers. Makes me feel great knowing that I can help make this special time in their lives magical. However The training and care that goes into the training process is horrible. Their isn't enough focus on product knowledge. Now I don't blame the head office or the company itself I blame the store manager and management team. It blows my mind that there is no passion for this company to really invest in making a great team.
Cons
Bad management
Great work environment
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 5, 2016
Really enjoyed working for this company. I had a really great store manager. Job culture I believe is important when creating a group dynamic and as a corporation Motherhood Maternity established a great employed experience
colourful
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 10, 2016
I didn't feel comfortable working there. It brought back my anxiety badly. I don't enjoy working sales and having one on one with customers. I wasn't properly trained about maternity. I wasn't comfortable with sizing people's bras. Which wasn't mentioned when I applied.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours
Great quality clothing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 7, 2016
Very fast paced work environment. People focused with great clientele. Fashion forward maternity clothes. Excellent team once established.
Starting Rate Is Good But Management A Nightmare
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONDecember 28, 2014
Was excited to start the position at 13$/hr which is 2$ more then minimum wage. However, Manager expected me to take over doing all of her work so she could go shopping and talk on the phone all day in the change rooms. Was expected to work 7 days a week and well over 40 hours even though the position was only part time. All staff members there were actively looking for different jobs, and 5 people had quit in 2 months ( the store only has 5 employees at a time).
Pros
good starting wage
Cons
long hours, no days off, lazy management
Seemingly small store offers constant challenges to keep you on your toes
Part Time Merchandise and Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Overall, the experience has been positive. I enjoy the clientele and building customer relationships. You typically get to witness clients go through all stages of pregnancy, and even beyond. The environment itself is fast paced, and there is never a dull moment as there is always something to do and if per chance there is nothing, I like to find something, because personally I do not believe there is ever NOT anything to do, especially in a retail environment where visual standards are high and traffic is constantly flowing through the mall. The main challenge was learning to work in the store alone and prioritize tasks for the day, but overall, you come to find your groove and take ownership of the business and learn how to balance it all.
Great Enviroment
Sales Consultant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Great place to work , Love my co workers and staff and environment is great ! also love all the products and assisting customers
Excellent co-workers and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 27, 2015
Motherhood Maternity gives chances to entry level workers and students. I gained valuable experience, learnt new skills and was a part of an excellent team who were always ready to help each other.
The most enjoyable part of my job was to interact with the customers, find out their needs and helping them find the right product.The hardest part of the job was that I had to travel a great distance everyday. Overall my experience working with Motherhood Maternity had been extremely positive. The hardest part
Pros
Excellent coworkers and work environment
Cons
Travel difficulties
Motherhood-part time worker
-Assisted Customers

Poor Management

Hardest part of the job
-Assisting grumpy Customers

Most enjoyable part of the job
-Having a chance to see children/newborns.
Cons
everyone from the district managers to the store manger does not care for the coworker
Its okay. Still learning.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Opening/Closing the store
Helping Customers
Cleaning the store/change rooms
Cashing out guest
Getting to know the new "IT" styles for pregnant mothers
A lot of fun and some great customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 26, 2015
this is a great place to work. everyone is always so helpful and cheerful when learning the ropes and how to approach customers. the manager and assistant manager are awesome as well as the rest of the staff.

getting to gush about babies and helping women shop for a whole new wardrobe is a rewarding and fun job. When its busy time really does fly :)

i've learned how to multi task really well!
Pros
lots of great products
Cons
only part time hours available
Working with expectant mothers and being part of their experience was fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  2 locations Edmonton AlbertaJanuary 1, 2014
With working in a maternity store you had a short period of time to work with your customers. By that I mean they are only pregnant for 9 months so our interaction was short yet fun because we were able to walk expectant mothers through the process of being pregnant and giving them fashion advise for this small but important demographic community.

My job as the manager was training my staff to work with these ladies and understand that they are different from the average shopper. Their needs are different and we needed to be aware of that on a constant bases.

I also did the merchandising of the store as the floor plan dictated, however I made store based decisions on what was best for my location.

The staff was also trained on floor set because I am a strong believer in knowing I cant be there 24/7 so my staff was taught how to do the floor set.

I also believed in training for succession as my goal was to move up in the company and I wanted a trained staff to continue running the store.

I enjoyed training and coaching my staff, especially the staff that hadn't experienced being pregnant.

The hardest part of the job was the company was American owned and the laws in the US and Canada are different so it was a challenge when the Canadian stores were being governed by US policies.
Pros
great staff
Cons
long hours, not being acknowledged for hard work done
Responsibilities
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJuly 22, 2012
There are many times throughout the week that I am left alone to open the store, or for multiple hours in the evening before closing. I must count the till in the morning, file emails and daily memos, provide excellent customer service on a first-name basis with the client, ensure general housekeeping of the store, balance the cash till at night and place deposit in the safe, nightly call-in to the district manager, close and lock store.
Pros
i enjoy having responsibilities and being able to operate the store single-handed at times
Cons
not enough hours per week
Great staff, amazing client base.
Full time key holder (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCMarch 6, 2015
I learned to take initiative and strong communication skills. Offering outstanding customer service. Opening/ closing store.
Pros
friendly environment.
Cons
closed down.
Fun and Fashionable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 29, 2014
I enjoyed working in retail for being able to help mothers to be during the special maternity period. Work days were busy but still enjoyable to see all mothers to be finding comfortable clothes and thank you for it. I hence customer services skills, sales skills, and to satisfy need and wants of customers.