Morton Salt Employee Reviews

Overall a good place to gain experience
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Silver Springs, NYMay 2, 2016
During my time at Morton Salt I was able to gain experience in several different fields including: fluid dynamics, HVAC, and project management.
Management is a joke.
Mine Laborer (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LADecember 22, 2015
Everything is done backwards. Equipment is always down. Very hot underground. Managment team is inexperienced and are hipocrits. You WILL be set up for failure.
Pros
Decent pay and all the hours you want.
Cons
No direction or proper training to be successful.
Great Experience
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAFebruary 7, 2016
Great treatment of new employee. Safety is a huge part of the culture. great place to develop career. would work there again for sure
Pays the bills but will run you into the ground
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHAugust 6, 2015
Was treated like a 3rd class citizen in a union environment while hourly employees were rarely disciplined effectively. Complete disrespect for education. Management purposely scheduled maintenance outages over weekends and company/federal holidays and specialized in public humiliation tactics. Management either rescheduled or cancelled vacations at will. 60 hour work weeks were expected with no additional compensation. Raises and bonuses were nearly non existent. Raises were barely cost of living which in turn were negated by the increases in health care cost that were passed on to salary employees. Unhealthy environment.
Pros
Safety incentive program
Cons
On call 24/7 no matter what.
I was a great place to work.
Senior Plant Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed my job at Morton Salt. In typical day I would do repairs on machines, meet with contractors and vendors. I would also set up jobs for the other maintenance personal.
Workplace full of great people and opportunities
Industrial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2015
Morton Salt is a great place to work. It is full of wonderful hardworking people who work as a team. Many employees have been there over 20 years so it feels more like a family sometimes.
the people are friendly.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJune 14, 2015
Get my orders to know what I have to do that day. How to run different style of equipment. Really don't have a plan before they put it into action. friendly people, extreme temp.,working with people you like.
Good job security
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAAugust 2, 2015
Collect in process and finished samples and test salt products to ensure additives were within company specifications.
Mining
Hvy equip, construction, Journeyman electricia (Current Employee) –  Fairport Hbr, OHJanuary 24, 2015
A typical day is fast paced covering nearly 7 square miles of underground mine. I currently work on anything from 12 volt automotive systems to 13.2kva cable splicing.

Management at this facility is horrible and without focus. They cannot tackle one problem and move on instead they junp from one to another and accomplish nothing. The hourly workers there are great but feel stuck because of the poor management.
Great place to work!
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJune 14, 2015
Great company to work for! The atmosphere is like non-other. Also the training program is very well organized. My personal experience as an employee there was good.
Work
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  CHICAO ILApril 29, 2014
A normal day consists of me going over data, ensuring there are no errors, and organizing the data into Morton's SAP system.

The most difficult part of the job is looking at the data for long periods of time and playing around on excel can be frustrating when something is not entered correctly.

I enjoy entering data and I enjoy double checking my work assuring I have 100% accuracy with my work.
Pros
computer and sit down office job
Cons
straining on eyes
Working as a contractor. Good company to work for but they are going under a strict downsizing.
Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 6, 2014
I handle the US and Canada Ice Melt supply replenishment. Learned new shipping methods for ice melt products. Management is ver knowledgeable as they have ben there for years. Hardest part of the job at the current time is not having enough salt supply to meet demand. Most enjoyable part of the job is that it jeeps snowing, which is great for business.
Excellent people to work with, high regard for employees.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hutchinson, KSDecember 19, 2013
7-1/2 hour days, Monday through Friday. Daily reports, inventory receiving and working with accounts payable to resolve issues and forward invoices for payment. Team work was crucial between departments as all were involved in final product. Management at the plant was organized and supportive of changes to increase job efficiency. Co-workers were cordial and sincere. The hardest part of the job was to resolve AP issues that were years old and kept getting put on a back burner because of time restrictions. The best part of the job was their emphasis on the safety of each employee and how they included us in improvements and rewards.
Good
Deduction Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2013
I arrived at 7:00 am, and would turn on computer, organize my desk for the work for the day that I would prepare the night before as my starting point of the day, sign in to all work sites, print necessary invoices and backup detail from emails. I learned a new software SAP as well as the different aspects of the company in order to perfect my job performance. I had no problems with management or my co-workers, the hardest part of the job was not really hard but just dealing with sales and marketing when information was needed from there department, the most enjoyable part was the work, I love challenges and staying busy as well as the contact with others,
Pros
great opportunity
Cons
not to much room for advancement
Outstanding Company!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook COE, ILOctober 8, 2013
I have been working here for over a year now and I could not be happier. Best decision I ever made. This is a fantastic office, everyone here works as a team and its just a pleasure to come to work everyday. Yes it get hectic and some days you wish you stayed in bed...but at the end of the day you make a difference and for that I am truly grateful to be with this company. It never feels like just a job to do....I always feel like I am part of something special.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
none for me
cool
Warehousemen (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 1, 2013
Motivated professional with multiple track record of stellar attendance and work performance. Talent for quickly mastering various task – recently completed Safety course. Diplomatic and tactful with professionals and non-professionals at all levels. Accustomed to handling sensitive situations. Demonstrated history of reliability.
Flexible and versatile – able to maintain a sense of humor under pressure. Poised and competent with demonstrated ability to easily transcend cultural differences. Thrive in deadline-driven environments. Excellent team-building skills.
Challenging, Rewarding Career!
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 14, 2015
Working in Industrial Sales at Morton Salt has been an extremely rewarding experience. The opportunity for exposure to such a diverse customer base has opened up numerous avenues of opportunity.
A great place to work.
Dock Foreman (Current Employee) –  Grantsville, UTMarch 20, 2014
I am responsible to set up my crew each night when I come into work, I assign operators to load trucks and rail cars with product for shipment to our customers. I have learned patience in this, sometimes we run out of product for shipments, we have to reprioritize shipments on a daily basis. Some of the upper management try to help me get the job done by setting up the production plan to include product I need more than other. I supervise a very safe and productive crew, encouraging each worker to submit near misses and to document incidents that they have. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the morale of the workers when certain occasions get taken away, or when we have to force a lot of overtime. The most enjoyable part is knowing I am shipping quality product to our customers.
Pros
great crew
Cons
working straight nights
Horrible experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Worst company culture ever experienced. SAP was introduced and this company could not handle it. Old fashioned management style
no comment
Senior Revenue Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2015
no comment. I was given increased responsibilities throughout my career. Effective December 2014, 100% of the positions of my department were eliminated.