Mortenson Construction Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work!
Client Devices Intern (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 24, 2016
I worked for Mortenson as an intern and I loved every minute of it. Even though it was a labor-intensive job without a lot of variation to what I did from day to day (which was perfectly fine, I knew what I was getting into when I took the job) I looked forward to coming in to work every day. The people are wonderful, and the way the company is run is fabulous.
Pros
Cafeteria, Coworkers, benefits
Thoroughly a FIVE Star Company!
Electrical Crewleader (Former Employee) –  McCamey, TXMarch 22, 2016
This company's number one priority is safety! They received a well deserved recognition award for it. They have excellent and hard working management leaders, great compensation and benefits!
perfect place to advance yourself within time
Project Clerk (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXNovember 18, 2015
its a good company, very family oriented, and safety precautions are always used. you get to meet people from all over the United States, not every person is from the Texas area. work gets difficult at times only because it is me and one other doing all this paperwork for over 400 employees. but who doesn't like a challenge
Pros
benefits, 401-k, and free lunch during meetings
Cons
the company doesnt stay at one location forever
Fun place to work while meeting new people
Blade/Base Tensioner (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2015
Days started anytime, from 2am to 7am and usually got off around 5pm-6pm. Although i worked later many times, couple of times it was around 10:30pm. I worked with lots of great guys that i came to be good friends with. I started out doing Blade Tension, but ended up doing more Base Tension at the end. I also do 10-15 Hub assemblies as well.
Pros
great starting pay, benefits
Cons
long hrs, crew leaders threatening firing for going slow and safe, production over safety.
Great and stable company to work for
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2015
Mortenson Construction is a great company to work for because of the people who work there. The benefits are really good and the company is financially stable. Support management who focus on developing individuals and keeping them challenged.
Pros
Onsite fitness center and cafeteria. Great location.
Cons
Lack of structure and company policies should be defined further.
Poor Management
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXApril 2, 2016
I have worked for this company going on 2 years. Never have I ever called in sick, not shown up for work or take my rotation. However, this time around I needed my rotation to take a class to better me as an employee. The day after my class was over I was laid off. Although the employee that hit a truck with his forklift is still working. I have called all supervisors and contacts for each and every job to see if they needed me and have been told No not at this time. But learning in the process, the guy that got drunk and quit his job, has been hired back and working, the guys that were still working this recent job and not laid off have been transferred to these other jobs. The guys that say they are not going to one job but end up being sent to another job, all the while I have called all of these jobs and have been told nothing going on till May or so. I have now been laid off for 2 months and have been faithful in calling to get back to work and still keep finding this to be the situation
Cons
Loyalty and communications.
Very slow
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 28, 2015
To hard to move up or get raises bosses not easy to talk to they don't have it together here its hard on me because i am a hard worker not being seen.
Pros
hours
Cons
outside work
Fast paced outdoor job
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2016
This position taught me a lot about construction sites, tools, heavy machinery. It was also a great position that built my strength physically. It was an all year job, so it taught me how to prepare myself in winter and summer as far as dress codes, eating habits.
nice place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  McCamey, TXAugust 23, 2016
this is a company that cares about employees safety. the superiors are well train and respectful. Safety celebrations are issue on a monthly basis, raffles with good prizes are given if everyone works on a safely on a daily routine.
Operations
Operator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTAugust 1, 2016
Everything was ran pretty smoothly. Managment was decent and polite. We stretched every morning to take care of our bodies. We stated guidelines in the morning to assist us in remembering them through out the day.
Wind turbines
Certified Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Geuda Springs, KSAugust 23, 2016
I took my first wind turbine job with Mortenson in 2015. I became a forklift operator. I loved it!! I enjoyed getting up and going to work everyday. I loved everyone I worked with.
Safe and efficient company.
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Milford, UTJuly 1, 2016
Good place to work. very safe and friendly environment. Easy to express ideas. they do construction all over the U.S. Lots of rules and regulations.
Day to Day
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2016
Make sure the job site is cleaned and organized to the day. Help with what ever needs to be done for the day and to ensure safety regulations are met
productive fun workplace
Welder (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 11, 2016
one of the best companies that I have ever worked for, great work culture and quality craftsmanship and great safety culture
Poor management, communication, leadership, and incentives/compensation.
Employee (Current Employee) –  BellevueMay 28, 2012
Mortenson's Seattle Operating Group has been a huge disappointment. The leadership team expects a whole lot with little or no recognition. They preach work/life balance and the "work hard, play hard" atmosphere. This could not be further from the truth. You are considered lazy and worthless if you work less than 12 hours a day. Mortenson also has a terrible reputation among sub-contractors. Lastly, they recently restructured their insurance (which used to be the only positive). They went to a high deductible program. With the already low salaries they offer, this insurance has effective my family drastically.
Cons
healthcare, leadership, communication, compensation, bonuses, hours, etc.
safety and training first
Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2016
Mortenson always hires qualified staff and employees.They made sure you had the right training for your job.Good equipment and tools
Pros
there safety team is second to none
Cons
layoffs at no fault of there own
Safe enviorment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft. Stockton, TXMay 12, 2016
My time at Mortenson, safety was the last thing on my mind. I didnt have to worry. The safety program is well organized, always ensuring the well being of all employees.
safety is number 1
Journeyman Brick Layer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 11, 2016
very safety minded good equipment fair in all aspects foreman's are fair and help whenever asked all around good people in all departments
Satisfying workplace, very professional.
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Stamford, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Overall satisfying company to work for. Able to work and improve your position quickly along with receiving certifications while employed.
Solar plant project
bolt kitting (Current Employee) –  Haskell, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Fast paced. Safety oriented. Was often fun. Enjoyed the stretch & bend exercises. Got along well with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping my fingers warm in cold weather.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
Too many bosses

4.2