Mortenson Construction Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
perfect place to advance yourself within time
Project Clerk (Current Employee), Uvalde, TXNovember 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, 401-k, and free lunch during meetings
Cons: the company doesnt stay at one location forever
its a good company, very family oriented, and safety precautions are always used. you get to meet people from all over the United States, not every person is from the Texas area. work gets difficult at times only because it is me and one other doing all this paperwork for over 400 employees. but who doesn't like a challenge
Fun place to work while meeting new people
Blade/Base Tensioner (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2015
Pros: great starting pay, benefits
Cons: long hrs, crew leaders threatening firing for going slow and safe, production over safety.
Days started anytime, from 2am to 7am and usually got off around 5pm-6pm. Although i worked later many times, couple of times it was around 10:30pm. I worked with lots of great guys that i came to be good friends with. I started out doing Blade Tension, but ended up doing more Base Tension at the end. I also do 10-15 Hub assemblies as well.
Very slow
Laborer (Current Employee), Denver, COSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: outside work
To hard to move up or get raises bosses not easy to talk to they don't have it together here its hard on me because i am a hard worker not being seen.
Great and stable company to work for
Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Onsite fitness center and cafeteria. Great location.
Cons: Lack of structure and company policies should be defined further.
Mortenson Construction is a great company to work for because of the people who work there. The benefits are really good and the company is financially stable. Support management who focus on developing individuals and keeping them challenged.
fast paced moving work environment
Construction assistant (Former Employee), Boulder, COSeptember 9, 2015
my understanding was to keep production going. let's get things done, and get it done fast. loved it! had to enjoy working around other fun and fast paced workers, just being a day laborer for them was fun.
Wind Farm Site
Project Clerk (Former Employee), Herscher, ILMay 21, 2015
Pros: the staff meetings every week we got lunch
Cons: some people would go off with out finding out what the sitution was about
This site was fun and stressful at the same time. We had timelines that everything needed to be done and if you were late by a min. it would cause a delay for everyone that needed that info. My co workers became like a family to me. I learned about the safety side of the construction site and that was the best ever. I got to set up the safety celebration every month and the hardest part was the hours. some days were 12 hour days or longer
productive job
Mechanical (Former Employee), Uvalde, TXMay 11, 2015
learned how to build solar panels while we cut and grind pipe. had job duties everday by our managemet team and enjoyed the job as all the coworkers worked together as a team
Great pay
Laborer (Former Employee), Rosamond, CAMarch 30, 2015
This company provides great pay, and benefits. They are family oriented and care about your life. Safety is a big factor and they don't do anything to compromise your safety.
Extreme Favoritism and NO Advancement
Crew Lead (Current Employee), Rosamond, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: meeting great people and learning about solar
Cons: management, pay, culture, work environment
Worked on biggest solar plant for 1 and half years. Easy to moderate work, hardest was when temperatures hit 105 degrees and company still pushed for production. Only way to advance in company was to know management on a personal level. Safety is preached but rarely practiced correctly, and production always comes first, although safety is preached to be number 1 priority. Most enjoyable part of the work was getting to know different people and making some really great friends. In Mortenson's defense, other workers from different sites around the country that were stationed at this site said that, this current site does not represent Mortenson as a whole. They stated that the management at the current site and how it is run compared to others is, Pathetic!
Productive and a learning experience
Electrician (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: hourly pay, new town, getting electrical knowledge out it
Cons: short breaks, heat
Every morning we would arrive at 7 A.M. to do our daily safety exercises and when done were assigned our section. I learned to assemble the electrical set up of a solar panel. To me the hardest part was standing out in the open during high temperatures but still got the job done. Overall it was a great experience learning something new and working out of town made me grow as a person.
Hard Job for hard people
Stone Mason Laborer (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJanuary 7, 2015
Typical day is hard work and praying for a decent day outside. Co-workers are your stereo-type construction workers. Advancement is there it would just take years, to many the pay would be worth it.
Very fast paced work enviornment
Laborer (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXNovember 19, 2014
Pros: 50 hrs a day
Cons: 30 min lunch unpaid
Build solar panels and made a solar farm using hand tools to finish the job, constant lifting and bending.
Productive environment while being as safe as possible for all workers
Surveyor (Former Employee), Rosamond CaliforniaNovember 13, 2014
A typical day at work is to start off with stretching. After stretch we receive our work equipment and fill out our work plan for the day, then we execute our plan.
Construction Life
Safety Professional (Current Employee), Panhandle, TXNovember 11, 2014
Pros: safety is rated high, safety meeting every morning and once a month safety breakfast or lunch
Cons: when theres no projects theres no work, relying on the tax credits
Great company in aspects of giving people a chance to learn something new and prosper from within. Great insurance and benefits.
productive
Electrical Assistant (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXOctober 23, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: short jobsite
I enjoyed working with this company but didn't have enough time to show the best of me because I got laid off but got treated fair and had a chance to work with very good people and learned a lot from ex co workers
Needs better management
Office staff (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great company
Cons: inexperienced supervisor
I worked in the offices in Golden Valley, and loved my job and the company as a whole. I believe Mortenson is trying to do the right thing. One supervisor was verbally abusive to staff, very good at her job, but should not have been overseeing employees.
Administrative
Assistant/ Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Elk Grove Village, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: strong company
Cons: no advancement
Strong company to work for. Learned all construction fundamentals and working with a diverse group.
pretest planning, safety summary, preparing workers with tool set, layout and logistics.
Foreman/Mech/tension/torque (Former Employee), Bracketville, TexasJune 29, 2014
changes were often but managable due to new truss and layout design. Managment often difficult due to workers new enviroment never working construction or mechanical systems. Workers were quick to adapt to changing methods, cordinating between engineering, management/safety., diffulcult at times, most enjoyable part of job, completing task, working with good people.
Fun and Interesting Workplace
General Labor (Former Employee), Bracketville, TxJune 24, 2014
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates, Performing General Physical Activities, Handling and Moving Objects, Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material, Getting Information, Operating Vehicles, Mechanized Devices, or Equipment, Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings, Making Decisions and Solving Problems, Controlling Machines and Processes, Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
Way too much favoritism and politics
Superintendent (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 26, 2014
Cons: bad management and job selection left us out of work
Five years and it all ended with a grudge match between the PM and superintendent.... The superintendent was laid off after completing two $100,000+ projects and a $22 million municipal project.

Don't waste your time with a company that will cut you off just months before your vesting in the Pension fund and hours after you brought another project in on time.
Headquarters