Mortenson Construction Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor Management
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Plainview, TXApril 2, 2016
Cons: Loyalty and communications.
I have worked for this company going on 2 years. Never have I ever called in sick, not shown up for work or take my rotation. However, this time around I needed my rotation to take a class to better me as an employee. The day after my class was over I was laid off. Although the employee that hit a truck with his forklift is still working. I have called all supervisors and contacts for each and every job to see if they needed me and have been told No not at this time. But learning in the process, the guy that got drunk and quit his job, has been hired back and working, the guys that were still working this recent job and not laid off have been transferred to these other jobs. The guys that say they are not going to one job but end up being sent to another job, all the while I have called all of these jobs and have been told nothing going on till May or so. I have now been laid off for 2 months and have been faithful in calling to get back to work and still keep finding this to be the situation
Wonderful place to work!
Client Devices Intern (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNMarch 24, 2016
Pros: Cafeteria, Coworkers, benefits
I worked for Mortenson as an intern and I loved every minute of it. Even though it was a labor-intensive job without a lot of variation to what I did from day to day (which was perfectly fine, I knew what I was getting into when I took the job) I looked forward to coming in to work every day. The people are wonderful, and the way the company is run is fabulous.
Thoroughly a FIVE Star Company!
Electrical Crewleader (Former Employee), McCamey, TXMarch 22, 2016
This company's number one priority is safety! They received a well deserved recognition award for it. They have excellent and hard working management leaders, great compensation and benefits!
Satisfying workplace, very professional.
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee), Stamford, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Overall satisfying company to work for. Able to work and improve your position quickly along with receiving certifications while employed.
Will do well if you work hard
Laborer (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 15, 2016
If you put in the work with this company you can go far, but you have to be willing to drive for hours if you are transferred to another jobsite.
Solar plant project
bolt kitting (Current Employee), Haskell, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Pros: good insurance
Cons: Too many bosses
Fast paced. Safety oriented. Was often fun. Enjoyed the stretch & bend exercises. Got along well with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping my fingers warm in cold weather.
A great company to work for.
Labor (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: close to the house.
Cons: Can't work in bad weather.
I work in the solar plant, my duty was to drive the pickup truck with the trailer, to different locations to get H frames and deliver it where they need it. After the forklift operator empty my trailer. I would go back and do it again.
perfect place to advance yourself within time
Project Clerk (Current Employee), Uvalde, TXNovember 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, 401-k, and free lunch during meetings
Cons: the company doesnt stay at one location forever
its a good company, very family oriented, and safety precautions are always used. you get to meet people from all over the United States, not every person is from the Texas area. work gets difficult at times only because it is me and one other doing all this paperwork for over 400 employees. but who doesn't like a challenge
Fun place to work while meeting new people
Blade/Base Tensioner (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2015
Pros: great starting pay, benefits
Cons: long hrs, crew leaders threatening firing for going slow and safe, production over safety.
Days started anytime, from 2am to 7am and usually got off around 5pm-6pm. Although i worked later many times, couple of times it was around 10:30pm. I worked with lots of great guys that i came to be good friends with. I started out doing Blade Tension, but ended up doing more Base Tension at the end. I also do 10-15 Hub assemblies as well.
Very slow
Laborer (Current Employee), Denver, COSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: outside work
To hard to move up or get raises bosses not easy to talk to they don't have it together here its hard on me because i am a hard worker not being seen.
Great and stable company to work for
Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Onsite fitness center and cafeteria. Great location.
Cons: Lack of structure and company policies should be defined further.
Mortenson Construction is a great company to work for because of the people who work there. The benefits are really good and the company is financially stable. Support management who focus on developing individuals and keeping them challenged.
fast paced moving work environment
Construction assistant (Former Employee), Boulder, COSeptember 9, 2015
my understanding was to keep production going. let's get things done, and get it done fast. loved it! had to enjoy working around other fun and fast paced workers, just being a day laborer for them was fun.
Wind Farm Site
Project Clerk (Former Employee), Herscher, ILMay 21, 2015
Pros: the staff meetings every week we got lunch
Cons: some people would go off with out finding out what the sitution was about
This site was fun and stressful at the same time. We had timelines that everything needed to be done and if you were late by a min. it would cause a delay for everyone that needed that info. My co workers became like a family to me. I learned about the safety side of the construction site and that was the best ever. I got to set up the safety celebration every month and the hardest part was the hours. some days were 12 hour days or longer
productive job
Mechanical (Former Employee), Uvalde, TXMay 11, 2015
learned how to build solar panels while we cut and grind pipe. had job duties everday by our managemet team and enjoyed the job as all the coworkers worked together as a team
Great pay
Laborer (Former Employee), Rosamond, CAMarch 30, 2015
This company provides great pay, and benefits. They are family oriented and care about your life. Safety is a big factor and they don't do anything to compromise your safety.
Extreme Favoritism and NO Advancement
Crew Lead (Current Employee), Rosamond, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: meeting great people and learning about solar
Cons: management, pay, culture, work environment
Worked on biggest solar plant for 1 and half years. Easy to moderate work, hardest was when temperatures hit 105 degrees and company still pushed for production. Only way to advance in company was to know management on a personal level. Safety is preached but rarely practiced correctly, and production always comes first, although safety is preached to be number 1 priority. Most enjoyable part of the work was getting to know different people and making some really great friends. In Mortenson's defense, other workers from different sites around the country that were stationed at this site said that, this current site does not represent Mortenson as a whole. They stated that the management at the current site and how it is run compared to others is, Pathetic!
Productive and a learning experience
Electrician (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: hourly pay, new town, getting electrical knowledge out it
Cons: short breaks, heat
Every morning we would arrive at 7 A.M. to do our daily safety exercises and when done were assigned our section. I learned to assemble the electrical set up of a solar panel. To me the hardest part was standing out in the open during high temperatures but still got the job done. Overall it was a great experience learning something new and working out of town made me grow as a person.
Hard Job for hard people
Stone Mason Laborer (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJanuary 7, 2015
Typical day is hard work and praying for a decent day outside. Co-workers are your stereo-type construction workers. Advancement is there it would just take years, to many the pay would be worth it.
Very fast paced work enviornment
Laborer (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXNovember 19, 2014
Pros: 50 hrs a day
Cons: 30 min lunch unpaid
Build solar panels and made a solar farm using hand tools to finish the job, constant lifting and bending.
Productive environment while being as safe as possible for all workers
Surveyor (Former Employee), Rosamond CaliforniaNovember 13, 2014
A typical day at work is to start off with stretching. After stretch we receive our work equipment and fill out our work plan for the day, then we execute our plan.
Headquarters