Mortenson Construction

Mortenson Construction Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Extreme Favoritism and NO Advancement
Crew Lead (Current Employee), Rosamond, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: meeting great people and learning about solar
Cons: management, pay, culture, work environment
Worked on biggest solar plant for 1 and half years. Easy to moderate work, hardest was when temperatures hit 105 degrees and company still pushed for production. Only way to advance in company was to know management on a personal level. Safety is preached but rarely practiced correctly, and production always comes first, although safety is preached to be number 1 priority. Most enjoyable part of the work was getting to know different people and making some really great friends. In Mortenson's defense, other workers from different sites around the country that were stationed at this site said that, this current site does not represent Mortenson as a whole. They stated that the management at the current site and how it is run compared to others is, Pathetic!
Productive and a learning experience
Electrician (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: hourly pay, new town, getting electrical knowledge out it
Cons: short breaks, heat
Every morning we would arrive at 7 A.M. to do our daily safety exercises and when done were assigned our section. I learned to assemble the electrical set up of a solar panel. To me the hardest part was standing out in the open during high temperatures but still got the job done. Overall it was a great experience learning something new and working out of town made me grow as a person.
Hard Job for hard people
Stone Mason Laborer (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJanuary 7, 2015
Typical day is hard work and praying for a decent day outside. Co-workers are your stereo-type construction workers. Advancement is there it would just take years, to many the pay would be worth it.
Very fast paced work enviornment
Laborer (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXNovember 19, 2014
Pros: 50 hrs a day
Cons: 30 min lunch unpaid
Build solar panels and made a solar farm using hand tools to finish the job, constant lifting and bending.
Productive environment while being as safe as possible for all workers
Surveyor (Former Employee), Rosamond CaliforniaNovember 13, 2014
A typical day at work is to start off with stretching. After stretch we receive our work equipment and fill out our work plan for the day, then we execute our plan.
Construction Life
Safety Professional (Current Employee), Panhandle, TXNovember 11, 2014
Pros: safety is rated high, safety meeting every morning and once a month safety breakfast or lunch
Cons: when theres no projects theres no work, relying on the tax credits
Great company in aspects of giving people a chance to learn something new and prosper from within. Great insurance and benefits.
productive
Electrical Assistant (Former Employee), Brackettville, TXOctober 23, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: short jobsite
I enjoyed working with this company but didn't have enough time to show the best of me because I got laid off but got treated fair and had a chance to work with very good people and learned a lot from ex co workers
Needs better management
Office staff (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great company
Cons: inexperienced supervisor
I worked in the offices in Golden Valley, and loved my job and the company as a whole. I believe Mortenson is trying to do the right thing. One supervisor was verbally abusive to staff, very good at her job, but should not have been overseeing employees.
Administrative
Assistant/ Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Elk Grove Village, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: strong company
Cons: no advancement
Strong company to work for. Learned all construction fundamentals and working with a diverse group.
pretest planning, safety summary, preparing workers with tool set, layout and logistics.
Foreman/Mech/tension/torque (Former Employee), Bracketville, TexasJune 29, 2014
changes were often but managable due to new truss and layout design. Managment often difficult due to workers new enviroment never working construction or mechanical systems. Workers were quick to adapt to changing methods, cordinating between engineering, management/safety., diffulcult at times, most enjoyable part of job, completing task, working with good people.
Fun and Interesting Workplace
General Labor (Former Employee), Bracketville, TxJune 24, 2014
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates, Performing General Physical Activities, Handling and Moving Objects, Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material, Getting Information, Operating Vehicles, Mechanized Devices, or Equipment, Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings, Making Decisions and Solving Problems, Controlling Machines and Processes, Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
Way too much favoritism and politics
Superintendent (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 26, 2014
Cons: bad management and job selection left us out of work
Five years and it all ended with a grudge match between the PM and superintendent.... The superintendent was laid off after completing two $100,000+ projects and a $22 million municipal project.

Don't waste your time with a company that will cut you off just months before your vesting in the Pension fund and hours after you brought another project in on time.
Worked there for years
Accounting & Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNDecember 16, 2013
Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
Reconciling bank statements
Month end closings
Payroll
W-9
Assistant to Controller
Responsible for project completion with approved budget and time frame
Assures established goals and objectives are being met on assigned projects
Human Resources
Develop and maintain successful client relations
Taxes- 941, 940, Quarterly, Sales, withholding, MN Levy, MN Unemployment
Good company. Management is hit and miss
Equipment operator (Current Employee), Mojave, CAOctober 19, 2013
Pros: good pay. good safety culture
Cons: poor management
Overall Good. No future unless you want to travel. Hard working people in the feild.
working together to finish a project at a deadline
wind tech (Former Employee), Wichita Falls, TXJuly 22, 2013
After a long day of work erecting two towers my coworker informed me that our Forman needed for us to do another tower because we had three winded out days. So we were behind on schedule. We had never done three towers in one day and I was very tired and hungry. It so happened that my lovely wife send me a wonderful picture of my steak waiting for me and on the table. I showed that picture to my coworker and said if we work harder together to finish this project we can both eat & relax. I then knew I had to push myself to get home. Deep down I really didn't think I could do it but we successfully finished. I learned that when you think something is in possible if you work hard it possible.
Typical day
Applications Services Analyst (Former Employee), MinApril 3, 2013
Pros: long breaks, benefits, work from home
* Sign into Virtualized PC environment
* Work on Service Now tickets
* Build and code Applications into ServiceNow ERP system.
Heavy commerical and industrial construction
Project Superintendent (Former Employee), St. Paul , MNMarch 14, 2013
Pros: to build and see the end results fair beyond my time
Cons: never enough time to have with family
Plan work schedule , work with designers , architects, engineers , owners, vendors, and sub contracting firms and self preformed work from our own employees. I have been able to see consturction changes in equipment and forming systems to medical equipment and heavy industrial machinery installation.
My role has been to manage by mentoring, problem solving, with ahead of schedule turn overs to owners.
I enjoy spending time with my co-workers and having constant communication with them on the job , through being vary open to others options and ideas.
Never being home.
Creating new buildings and projects safely , meeting new people , over coming obsticles in design and unknown conditions
Decent Pay
FOREMAN NACELL/HUB/BLADE PREPERATION, MOJAVE (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 26, 2013
Was employed in there wind division. Work was good when they had jobs going. But there was no room for movement to other divisions when wind work was slow.
good company good pay
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), enid,okJanuary 10, 2013
good people to work with on the crews. management is ok but still needs some work.
One of the best jobs I ever had
Estimator II (Former Employee), Chandler, AZOctober 18, 2012
Pros: healthcare, paid time off, great ethics and employee
Cons: lack of work due to economy
Mortenson Phoenix office is fun place to work, great ethics and employees, good working environment.

About Mortenson Construction

M. A. Mortenson Company leaves its footprints all over the country. The general contractor performs construction, development, – Read more